Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a potential deduction in that the neighbour called BM, and told him the girls called her because they couldn't reach Mom, and the neighbour saw that the car was home but the bike was gone.

So if this was all new 'news' for BM, then he hadn't spoken to the girls yet. So either they didn't call him or he hadn't answered their calls?
He was taking a nap that afternoon, it has been surmised! I want to see the AA. NOW.

If they had marital issues before moving those were worded as if......I don't personally believe they were recently penned. moo

I'm not sure anyone thought they were recent, nor did they fall for BM's scheme. I do believe she wrote them but one (the one that appears torn) said much more than was revealed. They represent a very different time, possibly before they moved from IN.

Count 5, Attempt to Influence?
@Error505 Thanks for your post (391) re ^:). Jumping off from it, to address a different post concluding BM attempted bribery.

Not sure how extensively this was discussed then, but "deceit" in Complaint* does not suggest bribery or threats imo, but BM trying to throw LEOs off his scent by telling big fat lies, over a looong period, and to multiple LE officers & agencies. Could be wrong.my2ct.
* "Between and including May 10, 2020 and May 5, 2021, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully and feloniously attempted to influence... [8]... public servants, by means of deceit, with the intent thereby to alter or affect the public servant's decision,... section 18-8-306, C" bbm sbm

Last edited:
He was taking a nap that afternoon, it has been surmised! I want to see the AA. NOW.

If a nap 'prevented' him from hearing a call from his kids, then he is a pretty self centred guy.

If I am away from my spouse, who was in cancer recovery, and home alone, and I had young daughters, out of state on a camping trip, I'd be napping with one ear open for their calls.

Last edited:
I have listened to this one before

I'm not convinced that SM's sister is speaking about physical violence here. If course, DV is about creating fear whether or not the abuse is physical. I wonder if MM had ever advised SM to end her marriage in the past?

If you walk on eggshells long enough around an abuser, even if it is only mental abuse, it becomes your pattern to accept and hide it. That is one reason the abuser wields so much power. The dynamic can be mixed with the abuser behaving lovingly sometimes. This pattern can make the victim question their own perceptions and entrap them further.

Moving to CO seems to have put SM in a very vulnerable position. There is a lesson for other women in her story.

I hope part of her legacy will be for family & friends to work harder to maintain ties with someone they fear increased isolation (of any kind) may endanger. Even if the outcome isn't as tragic as Suzanne's, living with DV of any kind is unacceptable. Let's all of us on this thread pledge to support victims of abuse in honor of a beautiful soul gone much too soon. MOO
Every Person Here Has My Lifelong Pledge to Watch More Closely for Women and Men in difficult relationships. And I swear to try to bring more awareness to abuse, in general. No one should live with any kind of abuse. ❤️MOO #JusticeForSuzanne
#FindSuzanne

Last edited:
Count 5, Attempt to Influence?
@Error505 Thanks for your post (391) re ^:). Jumping off from it, to address a different post concluding BM attempted bribery.

Not sure how extensively this was discussed then, but "deceit" in Complaint* does not suggest bribery or threats imo, but BM trying to throw LEOs off his scent by telling big fat lies, over a looong period, and to multiple LE officers & agencies. Could be wrong.my2ct.
* "Between and including May 10, 2020 and May 5, 2021, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully and feloniously attempted to influence... [8]... public servants, by means of deceit, with the intent thereby to alter or affect the public servant's decision,... section 18-8-306, C" bbm sbm
Agree 100% I didn’t mean to imply BM made threats. I don’t think he did.... I know LS received threats per her words. From whom or by who, I do not know nor have I heard. MOO

If a nap 'prevented' him from hearing a call from his kids, then he is a pretty self centred guy.

If I am away from my spouse, who was in cancer recovery, and I had young daughters on an out of state camping trip, I'd be napping with one ear open for their calls.
Yes, indeed. I was attempting to be facetious. Can't wait to hear his lame excuses for his Sunday "activities." It started with lies and will end in conviction.

I have listened to this one before

I'm not convinced that SM's sister is speaking about physical violence here. If course, DV is about creating fear whether or not the abuse is physical. I wonder if MM had ever advised SM to end her marriage in the past?

If you walk on eggshells long enough around an abuser, even if it is only mental abuse, it becomes your pattern to accept and hide it. That is one reason the abuser wields so much power. The dynamic can be mixed with the abuser behaving lovingly sometimes. This pattern can make the victim question their own perceptions and entrap them further.

Moving to CO seems to have put SM in a very vulnerable position. There is a lesson for other women in her story.

I hope part of her legacy will be for family & friends to work harder to maintain ties with someone they fear increased isolation (of any kind) may endanger. Even if the outcome isn't as tragic as Suzanne's, living with DV of any kind is unacceptable. Let's all of us on this thread pledge to support victims of abuse in honor of a beautiful soul gone much too soon. MOO
MM speaks very eloquently, carefully choosing exactly which words best convey her meaning without telling you the gritty details, imho. I listen very carefully to her when she speaks. I think she’s got a surprise to reveal to a jury when BM is on trial. She has pleaded with BM to do the “right thing”, tell where her sister is. I think she’s warning him. My 2 cents idk

Just to refresh our memories of the interview BM gave to CBS4 Denver where he shared the love letters from SM.

This was October 7, 2020 about a week after AM’s much publicized search and seems IMO to be carefully timed to clap back at AM. It was the first we heard for sure that the house was for sale and the first time BM spoke to any reporter other than LS who had mysteriously not covered the search at the last minute. I remember thinking that he had decided that he could no longer “trust” LS to tell his “side of the story”. JMO

Barry Morphew Shares More Photos And Love Letter Nearly 5 Months After Wife, Suzanne, Disappears

SALIDA, Colo. (CBS4) – The home of a missing mother from Salida is now up for sale. Suzanne Morphew’s husband, Barry, tells CBS4 part of the decision to list it was due to what he believes happened to her.

Suzanne, 49, disappeared on May 10 and Barry said believes she was abducted. He told CBS4 that his daughters are terrified to return to the house, and the family has been renting a home nearby for the last several weeks.

Another reason Barry felt the need to list the home is due to the extensive media coverage. He has been recorded against his will and had curious strangers wander onto the property.

CBS4 sat down with him at the house on Sunday, with no cameras. He wanted to share his side of the story.

Since his wife disappeared, Suzanne’s brother has been his biggest critic, even implicating him in her disappearance.

Andy Moorman told the Dr. Phil show on Friday that he believes Barry murdered his sister, despite the fact investigators have not identified a person of interest.

We asked Barry why he didn’t join the search. He said it was because he had already spent months doing the same with close friends. He no longer believes she’s in the area. He also added Moorman never reached out to him directly about the search despite repeated attempts to contact him personally.

Barry said his brother-in-law hasn’t cared to reach out to his sister in the past and questioned his motives.

“I’ve spent many nights… Suzanne crying on my shoulder, asking why her siblings refuse to show her love,” said Barry.

When her cancer came back, he said he and his daughters were the only family by her side.

Suzanne was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma just before the couple married in 1994. The 52 year old said despite the odds, they had two beautiful daughters together. Barry broke down as he talked about all they had been through and the love they shared together.
Barry says he still clings to hope and has faith she is alive somewhere.

He says to help the investigation, he opened his home and property to investigators, as well as cell phone records and computers. He said he has sat through countless days of interrogations and despite media reports, does not have a lawyer.

Suzanne’s daughters started a https://www..com/f/suzanne-morphew page to aid in the search for their mother.

Just to refresh our memories of the interview BM gave to CBS4 Denver where he shared the love letters from SM.

This was October 7, 2020 about a week after AM’s much publicized search and seems IMO to be carefully timed to clap back at AM. It was the first we heard for sure that the house was for sale and the first time BM spoke to any reporter other than LS who had mysteriously not covered the search at the last minute. I remember thinking that he had decided that he could no longer “trust” LS to tell his “side of the story”. JMO

Barry Morphew Shares More Photos And Love Letter Nearly 5 Months After Wife, Suzanne, Disappears

SALIDA, Colo. (CBS4) – The home of a missing mother from Salida is now up for sale. Suzanne Morphew’s husband, Barry, tells CBS4 part of the decision to list it was due to what he believes happened to her.

Suzanne, 49, disappeared on May 10 and Barry said believes she was abducted. He told CBS4 that his daughters are terrified to return to the house, and the family has been renting a home nearby for the last several weeks.

Another reason Barry felt the need to list the home is due to the extensive media coverage. He has been recorded against his will and had curious strangers wander onto the property.

CBS4 sat down with him at the house on Sunday, with no cameras. He wanted to share his side of the story.

Since his wife disappeared, Suzanne’s brother has been his biggest critic, even implicating him in her disappearance.

Andy Moorman told the Dr. Phil show on Friday that he believes Barry murdered his sister, despite the fact investigators have not identified a person of interest.

We asked Barry why he didn’t join the search. He said it was because he had already spent months doing the same with close friends. He no longer believes she’s in the area. He also added Moorman never reached out to him directly about the search despite repeated attempts to contact him personally.

Barry said his brother-in-law hasn’t cared to reach out to his sister in the past and questioned his motives.

“I’ve spent many nights… Suzanne crying on my shoulder, asking why her siblings refuse to show her love,” said Barry.

When her cancer came back, he said he and his daughters were the only family by her side.

Suzanne was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma just before the couple married in 1994. The 52 year old said despite the odds, they had two beautiful daughters together. Barry broke down as he talked about all they had been through and the love they shared together.
Barry says he still clings to hope and has faith she is alive somewhere.

He says to help the investigation, he opened his home and property to investigators, as well as cell phone records and computers. He said he has sat through countless days of interrogations and despite media reports, does not have a lawyer.

Suzanne’s daughters started a ******** page to aid in the search for their mother.
Barry beating a dead horse
beatdeadhorse.gif

:rolleyes: He is “gaslight city”! Moo. Night All :)

Covenant Marriage?
...They may have had a covenant marriage, much harder to get out of.
...Legal Covenant marriages are only available in 3 states... Arizona, Arkansas and Louisiana.... Covenant marriage - Wikipedia
@Boxer Thanks for your post. New to me; I learn lots on W/S Yes, agreeing w you, Boxer, getting out of a CM* is harder in a sense, in that the specified grounds for divorce are more narrow than for a non-CM, essentially back to the grounds for divorce preceding "no fault" divorce laws.
@Error505 sbm Thanks for your post pointing out wedding ceremony was in IN.

W quick search, I did not find CM statutes in IN or CO, but could have missed it.
Did BM & SM have a CM? In 1995 (96?), they were married in IN, so, doubtful it was a CM at time of marriage imo.
Did they later "convert" or "redesignate" their non-CM aa a CM, as the 3 ^ states allow? Well, they had not lived in any of those 3 states, so, again, doubtful imo.

Last edited:
I think it is a potential deduction in that the neighbour called BM, and told him the girls called her because they couldn't reach Mom, and the neighbour saw that the car was home but the bike was gone.

So if this was all new 'news' for BM, then he hadn't spoken to the girls yet. So either they didn't call him or he hadn't answered their calls?
this is an area of importance to me.....the back and forth traffic between Barry and the daughters that day, if any...in conjuction with his back and forth with employees and neighbors. If Barry intentionally avoided talking to the daughters...then that leads to the suggestion others have mentioned, that his intention was for them to discover mom missing later in the evening, rather than sooner. It could be that Barry did not intend for the daughters to call the neighbor...he wanted to handle that part.

yep....the "jail bird" said the bed appeared to have been laid upon or slept in, but not unmade. That suggests he laid on it and took a nap, likely after the shower. Sounds like Barry pulled an all nighter before driving the Broomfield.

The State is not required to provide or prove motive.
Not legally agree but I think they need a pretty clear picture for the jury. It is just my opinion and my mind could completely change as the facts are uncovered during the progress of the case. If the prosecution can lay out the case clearly they very well may not need motive.

I need to run to a meeting but I'll get it going....if all but the Murder were to be found guilty and sentences ran concurrently it looks like the most would be 12 years (in Colorado that generally means he'd serve about half in total (minus any time he's spent in jail so far) Tampering with a deceased body, Class 3 felony 4-12 years, Tampering with physical evidence, Class 6 felony, up to 18 months, possession of a dangerous weapon Class 5 felony 1-3 years, Attempts to influence a public servant, Class 4 felony 2-6 years. Again, this is to get the conversation rolling and I gotta run...but there is also that "enhancer" that the prosecution added that would need to be dealt with I think by jury. That "can" additional additional time. I'm assuming the voter card is totally separate.
By the time this is resolved in court, if he’s found guilty on all but murder, he’d likely be out with time served. I have faith the DA has more than enough to put him away for life.

BBM for discussion:
The “STUFF” you referenced:

The “public perception” of proof is usually “direct evidence”, which proves a material element of a crime. My grandson, Johnny, was sitting on the kitchen floor with chocolate cake all over his face. The cake is gone. I pretty much know Johnny ate the cake. But.... no one saw Johnny eat the cake. That’s a circumstantial case. The prosecution (me, grandma) needs to prove to mom Johnny ate the cake.

Direct evidence is a clear confession by a killer, a video of the murder itself, or an eyewitness to a murder that was committed. If someone saw BM murder SM and testified to that, that’s an example of direct evidence.

I think most of us who think BM probably killed SM believe he was the only one there when she was killed with no witnesses around. That means this is going to be a circumstantiacase. Most people don’t realize that DNA, hair, body fluids, blood, fibers, fingerprints, all digital data, GPS, cellphone, recordings, etc. are all examples of circumstantial evidence. Circumstantial evidence is everything other than eye witness or confessions, iirc, including forensics, witness’ statements (other than witness to the murder), and anything else you can imagine.

The conviction of the majority of murder cases are built around circumstantial evidence. Very few murders have eyewitnesses or confessions. MOO

So the prosecution needs to fit the puzzle pieces together for the jury “beyond a reasonable doubt” to garner a conviction, which I have zero doubt they will be successful doing.

The Extra Added on Charges: I’m following Gannon Stauch case (11 yr old CO BOY) who’s step mother is facing
murder1 + a multitude of other charges. DA’s charge what’s valid to charge they feel they can be successful prosecuting, so they should!

This isn’t “be nice to BM week” just in case he’s found not guilty of Murder 1. 70 investigators, 1400 tips, 400 interviews, 135 search warrants later these LE & DA want to get the accused convicted for a long time. Life Without Parole + another 100 years would be fine with me. The more charges, the more to use as bargaining chips to be told where SM’s body is, maybe. MOO

To the Legal Beagles and those that know far more than me, Please correct me where I’m mistaken and wrong. I more than welcome it.

PS to say “more than circumstantial "stuff" feels like gaslighting to me because many murderers are convicted on that “circumstantial stuff.” Just my 2 cents, my own opinion, my 2 centavos. :cool:
Great post! Add to that, eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable. I’d take a strong circumstantial case every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay