Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #64 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if BM thought about this.
If so, could he, have turned on the phone Sunday, used it to indicate SM was alive, and then disposed/destroyed it ???
Guess, we all figure, he isn't that smart.:D
BM could have turned SM’s phone on Sunday, MD, but it would be during the hours he was there @ the home, I assume. He left @ 5 (?), so LE could guess it was maybe BM who turned SM’s phone on. Surely, BM would know enough to not have taken SM’s phone with him all the way to Broomfield. Of course, that’s probably a thin line I’m walking stating that! Who knows? There’s no way for BM to turn on SM’s phone & disable where it would ping from. In My guestimation, if it’s BM using the phone, LE will have figured that out. I’ve been amazed at the data/info that LE can get from a phone, they know if it was left unused, powered off, powered on, and pretty closely the phone’s exact location, even the syntax in messaging/internet searches/etc is analyzed by LE. Where’s the darling, sweet mother to your children, BM? Give up her location! Do the right thing, just ONCE!
MOO
EBM to add message to our accused perp who’s awaiting trial!

Last edited:
They can only do so if it is true -- if the prosecution has "held back" anything.
When we watched the last hearing virtually, the defense was awaiting information from the prosecution. If any of that information took a little extra time to make its way to Barry’s lawyers, I would imagine that the defense would take issue. The prosecution might have to explain exactly why there was a delay, and whether it was withheld intentionally or through no fault of their own. I guess that the Judge would decide, and go from there. If the defense felt that they needed to review additional info before the preliminary, they might request time. That could indeed push everything further out. All my personal opinion, of course.

I have worried that they are going to try and claim that she was having an affair, and ran off with him, and that's who disappeared her...BM's mom kind of hinted at that early on, I believe.
I wish she had! She could be living somewhere very happy! Truth is, Suzanne loved her daughters and all her extended family. Defense lawyers are smarter than this. If Barry suggested that to even one person, he is an idiot. Well yes, he is an idiot.

The defense wouldn’t have to disclose new evidence (I don’t think), but the prosecution would.

I think it’s possible the prosecution came into possession of new evidence, and has yet to turn it over to the defense.

I think it would have to be relatively new, as the defense should have everything by now (there was a ruling to that effect during the last hearing).

Anything new would have to be turned over in a timely manner, and perhaps that has not happened to the defense’s satisfaction, hence this surprise hearing.
If true that the prosecution has something new, I hope it’s more concrete proof. It’s good for him to be very nervous, knowing what is coming.

I wish she had! She could be living somewhere very happy! Truth is, Suzanne loved her daughters and all her extended family. Defense lawyers are smarter than this. If Barry suggested that to even one person, he is an idiot. Well yes, he is an idiot.

I hope someone (like their daughters) takes the stand and attests to that. Because all the defense has to do is introduce reasonable doubt. They don't have to actually prove anything.

(I am not advocating for BM at all. I just want to point out that injecting reasonable doubt is all the defense needs to do. And I imagine that they will try to do that in any way that they can.)

Last edited:
I hope someone (like their daughters) takes the stand and attests to that. Because all the defense has to do is introduce reasonable doubt. They don't have to actually prove anything.

(I am not advocating for BM at all. I just want to point out that injecting reasonable doubt is all the defense needs to do. And I imagine that they will try to do that in any way that they can.)
My point was that it is NOT reasonable. Nothing Barry did was reasonable. Suzanne was told by doctors she couldn’t have children after her first cancer and she had two beautiful girls.Would any juror anywhere believe she would leave them without a trace out of fear of Barry or because she fell in love with someone else? There is NO way! I believe she stood up to him and he killed her. No reasonable doubt here.

My point was that it is NOT reasonable. Nothing Barry did was reasonable. Suzanne was told by doctors she couldn’t have children after her first cancer and she had two beautiful girls.Would any juror anywhere believe she would leave them without a trace out of fear of Barry or because she fell in love with someone else? There is NO way! I believe she stood up to him and he killed her. No reasonable doubt here.

I agree that the prosecution obviously feels they have a very strong case. And I believe that BM is likely a run of the mill wife killer. Though, what one singular juror believes may not always be what you and I believe.

In the recent Derek Chauvin trial, the prosecution said (afterwards) that they had to be ready to prove that George Floyd didn't die in any other way. Not just that he did die in a specific way. To combat all the theories that the defense would throw in to try to create reasonable doubt.
And the defense threw in a number of theories, in that attempt.

I agree that the prosecution obviously feels they have a very strong case. And I believe that BM is likely a run of the mill wife killer. Though, what one singular juror believes may not always be what you and I believe.

In the recent Derek Chauvin trial, the prosecution said (afterwards) that they had to be ready to prove that George Floyd didn't die in any other way. To combat all the theories that the defense would throw in to try to create reasonable doubt.
That’s the job of the defense. But people have had a year to observe BM. I believe the prosecution is ready. We will see when the AA is released.

Checking the thread! Hoping @MassGuy hears back from LS about the upcoming hearing! Hey, @MassGuy any word from LS or any other “in the know” approved source?
MOO ;)
I don’t think she can tell me for some reason, as if she hasn’t responded yet, then I don’t expect her to (she’s usually very fast).

My “sense” that this has to do with evidence being turned over in a timely manner, is not a wild guess on my part.

I think that’s what this is going to be about, but I do find it interesting that Lauren won’t confirm it.

I don’t think she can tell me for some reason, as if she hasn’t responded yet, then I don’t expect her to (she’s usually very fast).

My “sense” that this has to do with evidence being turned over in a timely manner, is not a wild guess on my part.

I think that’s what this is going to be about, but I do find it interesting that Lauren won’t confirm it.
Thank you @MassGuy. We’ll soon find out. Appreciate your trouble. :)

BM could have turned SM’s phone on Sunday, MD, but it would be during the hours he was there @ the home, I assume. He left @ 5 (?), so LE could guess it was maybe BM who turned SM’s phone on. Surely, BM would know enough to not have taken SM’s phone with him all the way to Broomfield. Of course, that’s probably a thin line I’m walking stating that! Who knows? There’s no way for BM to turn on SM’s phone & disable where it would ping from. In My guestimation, if it’s BM using the phone, LE will have figured that out. I’ve been amazed at the data/info that LE can get from a phone, they know if it was left unused, powered off, powered on, and pretty closely the phone’s exact location, even the syntax in messaging/internet searches/etc is analyzed by LE. Where’s the darling, sweet mother to your children, BM? Give up her location! Do the right thing, just ONCE!
MOO
EBM to add message to our accused perp who’s awaiting trial!
I agree, it's incredible what they know. I happen to know from experience that a cell phone company knows if you take out a sim card and put it in another one as well.

Good point OP. There is probably no proof that SM was NOT having an affair. (Proving a negative and all that...) What would a daughter attest to? Daughter was not aware of an affair/lover? Daughter thinks SM would never do that? That isn't evidence. The defense doesn't require evidence as, like OP said, they don't have to actually prove anything.

IMO

The standard response from any man who is accused of killing his wife ... I have faith a jury will see through the spaghetti being thrown at the wall.

Is the Thursday hearing going to be on Zoom?

I would like to know that data from phones, cars, etc. I would like to know what hard evidence that the prosecution has that says without a doubt Suzanne is deceased and I would like to know how all the admissable evidence ties to Barry committing the murder and no one else at all. After that, I guess, all the other things that lead to opinions on the motive or history are not important to me. Sad to say, sometimes we just never know why someone does what they do. You really can't get any worse than Murder 1 other than a serial killer I suppose.

They found her body or at least part of her dismembered body.

What "evidence" could the defense possibly produce...legit evidence, that is? The one thing I would look for from the defense is a witness like the "hippie in the floppy hat" in the Jeffrey McDonald case. i.e. a witness who claims to have seen Suzanne riding on her bicycle on Sunday.......
RSBM

Well the McDonald days were before "PINGS." It appears Suzanne had no phone with her or her Apple watch. Her typical pattern will be quite interesting. At least I suppose the hippie would also be able to prove they were in the area by their car GPS showing them arriving along with their cell phone pings. It would be remarkable odds, in this day and age, if neither one had a phone/device with them.

I have worried that they are going to try and claim that she was having an affair, and ran off with him, and that's who disappeared her...BM's mom kind of hinted at that early on, I believe.

If that's the case, then there was no need to stage a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!