Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #71 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the following says it all:

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch@CrimeTalkPod

Suzanne thought Barry was “simple” and not “stimulating in conversation”. She thought Libler was more into her for her brain and enjoyed their conversations more. Libler said he wanted to “get her on her own” but still not away from her girls.

9:31 AM · Aug 10, 2021·

ETA: I'm recalling the comment that BM would allegedly tell SM how one day she would "find her Fred." (i.e., Fred, her stepdad, was a medical doctor. Did BM mean to imply not a simple, landscaper)?

Yes, but also implied "Less exciting/volatile, more patient, easier to live with day-to-day, someone who actually enjoys being in a relationship with their partner." You know, a regular husband, not a man who (according to MM) is a cheater but is also volatile (two assault issues back in Indiana, pinning her to the bed, holding guns to his head to make a point - not that kind of a guy).

From experience, I'll say that waking up with a sane, reliable, interesting person every day is much nicer than wondering where the heck your husband might be and whether he'll be reasonable or outright kray-kray if things go south in any way.

Kind of like smashing ants to get rid of them, shooting chipmunks has nothing to do with actual pest control.
MOO he just liked to kill them.
When Chris McDonough talked about Barry being a hunter, I get the feeling that he knew about the dart gun and Suzanne being his prey on this particular Saturday.

Using a tranquilizer gun on small chipmunks sounds extremely farfetched to me. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Barry took the opportunity to kill any living creature that annoyed him just for the fun of it.

JMO.

Last edited:
So this offers a bit more clarity on the tranquilizer situation:

During questioning in November of 2021, Barry indicated he was shooting chipmunks. Grusing asked him if he was using a .22 gauge rifle, which he said was important because investigators found a tranquilizer dart cap in the Morphew’s dryer, and knew that a .22 gauge would also fire that. Barry confirmed it was the .22 he was using to shoot chipmunks.

Prosecutors Outline Barry And Suzanne Morphew's Movements On Days Around Her Disappearance

1 SKINNED PET RACCOON

Isn’t it hilarious? s/
Chris M. talked about him doing this to a baby raccoon that he actually raised for a while. I can't remember why he did it. It either bit him or tried to escape. It was quite unnerving. I think that Chris said that Barry killed it, skinned it and sold the pelt.

JMO.

I do not understand why the judge allowed it. I don't think there was an objection by the state either. Odd.

When I worked as a CPS Social worker sometimes law enforcement would use this technology for child sex crimes and drug crimes. I think it’s respected which is why they didn’t object. Even with this, I believe there is more than enough and judge will order him to stand trial no bail IMO

Yes, but also implied "Less exciting/volatile, more patient, easier to live with day-to-day, someone who actually enjoys being in a relationship with their partner." You know, a regular husband, not a man who (according to MM) is a cheater but is also volatile (two assault issues back in Indiana, pinning her to the bed, holding guns to his head to make a point - not that kind of a guy).

From experience, I'll say that waking up with a sane, reliable, interesting person every day is much nicer than wondering where the heck your husband might be and whether he'll be reasonable or outright kray-kray if things go south in any way.
Yes. I'm sure too many of us can relate to living life with eggshell floors and a crazy-maker! o_O

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1425188266081505286?s=20

"On May 9, phone is pinged near the river behind his home. Investigators asked why this..."

11:50am to 12:50pm

What was he doing?

BM left the home at 1:38 p.m. SM sends a message to Libler saying "Guess who is alone again?? at 2:03

I'm stumped on this. Any takers on what he was doing??

I don't mean looking for a dead turkey.
:0)

A dart leaves a puncture wound not a gaping wound so it doesn't bleed much at all. Have you ever stapled your finger? That's a puncture wound.

I agree the dart wound would not bleed profusely. However, even a gunshot wound is considered a puncture wound.

There are varying types of tranquilizer darts that I saw on Pinterest. I've watched a few videos, too. They are formidable weapons.

If Suzanne remained in the same prone position as she was when she sent the selfie, it'd make her back vulnerable as a target with no way she could realistically pull the dart out of her skin quickly enough.

The darts immediately begin releasing the fluid that's inside. It's tough for us to gauge what type of dart and what meds were used. We just know the entry hurt like crazy and the meds served Barry's purposes.

The cap must have fallen off when Barry removed the dart from Suzanne in order for it to align with the universe and appear in the dryer lint trap.

Sure, but even a vaccine injection can bleed. I think the velocity of a propelled dart on human skin would be traumatic. Plus the eventual fall, if there was this running around period the prosecutors suggested.

I’m mostly questioning the running around/chasing scenario. That alone sounds like it could easily end up bloody.

MOO

Scrapes and bruises, from my point of view. Have done my share of marital combat in my first marriage. A lot of abusive husbands are very careful where they land their blows or what they do (the being pinned down, the throwing of a person into a closet - both tactics I've experienced and also taken reports on from women in DV marriages).

The dart simply wouldn't have left much more than a tiny droplet on the part of the body where it hit (and even then, probably not unless it was removed). He may have shot her more than once during the running around/evasion part of the event. But it would still be very unlikely to leave the kind of blood pattern LE could use.

Everyone's home has a bit of their blood here and there, if they are a normal person. I have some kind of insect bite right now that bled a tiny bit yesterday - no way is the blood from that going to be forensically useful even if it's found on my clothing or my pillow. It's just too tiny an amount and easily explained away by normal circumstances.

He wanted it not to be bloody and had thought about it over the years. For example, many abused women will have bruises on their thighs, just above their skirt length level, where their husbands have repeated reached over and pinched them hard, as a way of signaling to shut up or to quit talking to someone. Sometimes the bruises are on the upper arms, where the woman can hide them.

The tranquilizer dart gun fits right in with that sort of schemer. I am shocked and very upset by this too.

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1425188266081505286?s=20

"On May 9, phone is pinged near the river behind his home. Investigators asked why this..."

11:50am to 12:50pm

What was he doing?

BM left the home at 1:38 p.m. SM sends a message to Libler saying "Guess who is alone again?? at 2:03

I'm stumped on this. Any takers on what he was doing??

I don't mean looking for a dead turkey.
:0)
Steeling himself to kill her. Running scenarios in his head.

Anyone else think Barry tranquilized SM, then put her in the hot tub to drown? No blood. He claims she looked drunk in the last picture of her. I think he is trying to imply that she got so drunk that she passed out in the hot tub and died.... if so tho, why not call 911 when he found her? Oh that's right, she wasn't drunk, she had the tranquilizer drug in her.... jmo

I think it was probably something like this. A scenario created by Barry, where he put Suzanne it a situation where she would most likely die, but in his mind, he wasn’t responsible for the last straw.
JMO

If he was so smart about hiding a body why so obtuse about the trash run?

This is a very important thing to note. imo

If BM could dig a hole for Suzanne, put Suzanne in a big cooler and hide it very well, put Suzanne in a mine, bury her under a tree, put her in any of the mutlitude of hiding places that we can think of .... why would he not conceal evidence in a similar manner?

To me, it is not as if he would have killed Suzanne, disposed of her, then thought "Oh maybe I should go back and pick up all the evidence now and chuck it in some bins that are located around exactly where I am going to work".

Puzzling.

Do you think that maybe he could have been trying to insinuate that Suzanne was murdered by one of his workers who were sent to Broomfield ... to do nothing? Trying hard to think of a reason for this behaviour.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned this already but I tend to think that SM was incapacitated by the tranq dart and then loaded into the car (explains the passenger side door opening in the wee hours) and then brought to another location where she was murdered outside the vehicle. Can a tranq dart kill a 100 pound human? How long do effects last? I also keep thinking about the dart cap being found in the dryer vent. Do we know if the AA is referring to the mesh vent that is inside the dryer or is it referring to the vent that leads to the exterior of the house? Does anyone know where the bedroom is located where the sheets were stripped off the bed? Is that bedroom downstairs, upstairs or in basement?

Great thoughts! Suzanne initiating contact with an old high school fling, meeting up in motel rooms and exchanging naked selfies with the father of 6, isn’t going to sit well with everyone. Will it be enough for one juror to give BM a pass? In my opinion, testimony from a first hand witness saying that BM ‘smacked’ Suzanne around and was physically abusive, will cancel out any sympathies that BM is generating.
If they can show BM found a “cute girl in Salida” for a night it will hurt him. So will *advertiser censored* I think. I just don’t see him as containing himself.

It’s from CBS Denver. The reporter has been in the courtroom and she’s the one he showed the love letters to last September or October.

Prosecutors Outline Barry And Suzanne Morphew's Movements On Days Around Her Disappearance

While Suzanne’s phone has not been found, investigators were able to recover documents from her iCould account. One of those documents was a list Suzanne made on May 8, entitled “grievances.” It included notes like “wedding ring,” which Barry allegedly took and melted at some point. She also noted women on Facebook, which Barry told her was good for business, as well as an incident in Mexico where Barry tried to take her phone away and look at it.

A wedding ring could be anyone's wedding ring. Suzanne's fathers/mothers, BM's grandmothers/grandfathers.

"Some people find they are living beyond their means". (Or whatever the exact words were that Suzanne's sister used.)

Was there a point where they needed money that badly? I guess we just don't know yet.

That's how I took it. I felt it was sarcastic. I looked at it like him saying: "I'm just go to meet my maker, Is that what you want. Then you can find your Fred."
I think that Suzanne didn't dare say yes for fear of him turning the gun on her. Many threats of suicide end up becoming homicides instead.

I would think that this type of violent act would want her to escape as soon as possible, though. I don't know why she thought that Barry had it in him to be civil.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member