Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for this! Amazing work!

I truly am not nitpicking, but just wanted to point out that the dates on Page 9 say 2021 and some other dates are listed as 2020 but were after she went missing so they might need to be edited. You did a better job than I ever could have and I am super grateful for all that you have done for SM. I only mention these errors for the sake of accuracy.

I really really really really want her to be in Ecuador.

I know what you mean.

We all know she’s not in Ecuador, but I wish she could have made it there, lived out a fantasy life, and not dead and buried (possibly in pieces) in some unknown location.

If I were to go missing, LE might look at my Google searches and think I fled to an atoll in the Maldives to snorkel endlessly, or to a small town in Tuscany to live among villagers.

Spoiler alert: I’ve never been to either place and probably never will be.

@NoSI, your notes are great! So very happy to have your there and sharing with us.

I know I am not alone in finding it terribly amusing that Suzanne thought BM was simple and not intellectually stimulating.

You know that had to sting when he heard that.

Meaning over 400 acres of empty land behind his home. Seal the remains up tight in vacuum lock bag(s), over wrap with heavy plastic, dig a deep hole, deposit remains and refill. Add some dead branches, a log or large rock on top and remove any signs of tire or foot prints. After a couple of weeks, nature would blend everything in as to be undetectable by air. Use an ATV or the Bobcat (if there was no GPS tracking) to get in and out during low light conditions like late evening or early morning. The hole could have been dug in advance of the act. The probability of detection by scent dog early on would be low and there would most likely not be a follow up search of that vast an area before decomp gases could start to leak out.

Maybe pour some bleach over the remains in the hole to discourage wild animals from digging up the site.

That map is perfect and a great visual! Thank you!

Couple questions, where are their neighbors homes? I don't see any other homes, so where are the neighbors that (according to the defense) should have heard a struggle or gun shots? Where does the neighbor that called 911 live?
Another map.
Ritter is neighbor who called 911 the day SM disappeared. Note: Ritter, and the home in red beside it, is across the S. Arkansas River from the Morphew home.
Even though they appear to be the closest neighbors, you have to go out to Highway 50 west to 225 to go to Puma Path.
Cushman is the home where AM stayed when he flew in the day after SM disappeared.

Attachments

• B3ACC7C4-7783-44D0-9418-62AF29026490.jpeg
    B3ACC7C4-7783-44D0-9418-62AF29026490.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 92
If he did take her Range Rover, there’s a major issue here according to @NoSI’s notes.

May 12, 2020: Search warrant for Verizon phone records, RTT data, F350. No human blood found in F350. Decomp dogs (2 different dogs, 2 different handlers) did not hit. An exhibit was shown: Image of inside of garage with 2 Range Rovers parked in it. Dogs did not hit.

That’s why I’m leaning towards another vehicle being in play here.
I’m not ruling one of the old RR’s out just yet. The temps were cool and if BM got her wrapped in a tarp or oversized cooler and got her away from the home within a few hours, there may have not been enough cadaverine for the dogs to hit.

Another map.
Ritter is neighbor who called 911 the day SM disappeared. Note: Ritter, and the home in red beside it, is across the S. Arkansas River from the Morphew home.
Even though they appear to be the closest neighbors, you have to go out to Highway 50 west to 225 to go to Puma Path.
Cushman is the home where AM stayed when he flew in the day after SM disappeared.

Thank you so much! That really clarifies ALOT of things for me! Is the road that goes from the Morphew home up towards the Ritter home like a shared driveway? It's hard to tell if it actually connects up to the Ritter house or just dead-ends.

If he did take her Range Rover, there’s a major issue here according to @NoSI’s notes.

May 12, 2020: Search warrant for Verizon phone records, RTT data, F350. No human blood found in F350. Decomp dogs (2 different dogs, 2 different handlers) did not hit. An exhibit was shown: Image of inside of garage with 2 Range Rovers parked in it. Dogs did not hit.

That’s why I’m leaning towards another vehicle being in play here.

Or she was still alive but tranquilized when moved with any vehicle and therefore no cadaverine for the dogs to hit on. Although BM made alot of mistakes, I do think he picked up some interesting ideas from Forensic Files and tried to use the info learned to correct mistakes made by the perps on the show. I can picture BM thinking something like 'OK, that guy got caught cuz he didn't realize what can be found if he had a dead body in his vehicle, so I just won't ever have a dead body in the house or vehicle. Problem solved.' IMO SM was taken somewhere alive but unconscious and killed wherever her body is.. pushed off a cliff, strangled and put under a newly planted tree, etc.

Thank you so much! That really clarifies ALOT of things for me! Is the road that goes from the Morphew home up towards the Ritter home like a shared driveway? It's hard to tell if it actually connects up to the Ritter house or just dead-ends.
The road dead ends. The part of the road up past the Morphews’ that veers off to the left goes to another lot. You can not access the Morphews from the Ritters without either crossing the river, (foot, 4wd, or ATV?), or driving around.

Attachments

• 8C32A78B-0E47-4A52-A838-FAEFE0DBE98A.jpeg
    8C32A78B-0E47-4A52-A838-FAEFE0DBE98A.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 39
I think (hope) that jurors will see SM as many of us do. It’s not like she was having a torrid love affair with one of BMs friends (which I think matters). She went back in time to an old boyfriend from high school, someone familiar. SIX meetings in TWO years speaks volumes to me… this wasn’t about SEX, it was an emotional connection more than anything. Surely the DA will create a picture of her true character and help jurors see the truth about her situation.
Why do "only" 6 meetings in 1.5 years mean it wasn't about sex? Why does it matter that JL wasn't a friend of BM's?

I think it was a torrid love affair, at least to SM. I would not interpret what little we know of their communications any other way. Sometimes in the comments here about the affair I think I sense ageism creeping in (not in your comment specifically). The passion felt at age 20 can still be felt at age 50, IMO.

I also think it is dangerous for the prosecution to parse the affair in any way except cold, clinical fact. As my response indicates, individuals will have their own interpretations based on their personal biases and feelings.

The important thing to me is to redirect when the defense gets off on a blame the victim tangent, as in "Yes, she had an affair, but she's still dead isn't she? And her husband had means, motive and opportunity, didn't he?"

JMHO (BTW, I am soon to be 59)

Last edited by a moderator:
@NoSI notes say that after Deputy heard from the Ritters, he tried reaching BM twice! Once, unsuccessfully, at 5:58pm (which we know BM alert hotel room around 5:55pm and dropped off tools at front desk around 5:58pm). The 2nd attempt to connect w BM was at 7:10pm. Interesting!
Once they find the bike, he says “he’s pretty emotional right now.” Unconfirmed he’s referring to BM (who isn’t there yet), but it’s a safe assumption that’s who he’s talking about. Too bad we don’t have that conversation recorded.

ETA thank you @NoSI for these wonderful notes!!

That's rich.

His wife is missing.

He's just leaving his hotel room and then he's en route, and he DOESN'T take a call from LE?!!! TWICE?!!!! Are we kidding?! The rest of us would be eager for any word! Has she been found?! Is she okay? Is she hurt?

Stunning.

JMO

Tightening up the timeline - @OldCop and I missed the 2:35 pm text on Saturday- @Seattle1 do you happen to recall which reporter tweeted this? I followed mostly Lauren:
Saturday 5/9
12:02 am incoming call on SM’s phone(d)
2:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (d)
6:00 am BM’s phone revives call (d)
7:19 am BM’s cell revives signal
9:50 am BM text to SM: Want to go on hike?
9:52 SM to BM, Where? (No response) Later on, asking about summer tires on Range Rover
10:36 SM to BM : Wanna meet to hike?
10:48 BM: No, coming home
10:48 SM: Get hot tub stuff
11:00 am Tail Winds property (new subdivision)
11:30 am Veggie soup at home with SM
11:50 am-12:50 pm BM cell ping near river
behind house. BM said looking for turkey that daughter shot some time before.
1:38 BM left home- checked on job at Kim Gyms
1:42 pm SM text to JL: Guess who is alone again?
1:55 pm BM at DSI
2:00 pm BM getting blade replaced on Bobcat
2:03 pm SM sends sunbathing pic to JL. Last proof of life.
2:11 pm last LinkedIn message with JL
2:44 BM returned home
ETU JL sends several texts, no response
2:47 pm BM’s phone goes to airplane mode
2:44-2:47 BM moving around outside
house, BM shooting chipmunks?
2:44-4:44 Truck doesn’t move
4:44 BM truck door opens/closes
4:44-9:25 pm AA pge 6 truck stays in same loc
4:00-5:30 (sometime) Defense says BM in Salida Stove and Spa (however store closes at 2 on saturdays)
5:30 pm BM truck system rebooted
9:25 pm Truck gear goes into reverse and goes back 95 feet in driveway
9:52 pm truck door closes
10:17 pm BM phone out of airplane mode
I will add this to the next update for us.

@NoSI Thank you so much for sharing your notes!

From them, I wonder why:
JL reportedly lied about the last time they talked. When was last conversation, “I don’t know”. When was the last time you two spoke? “I forgot”.

It doesn’t make sense why he would lie after he was found out by LE. The only possible reason I can think of was in hopes the specifics of that last conversation would not be disclosed.

My gut says the defense will certainly use “the other guy” angle. The roller coaster that both families are going to experience in the months ahead will not be pretty. It is a horrible situation for anyone to find themselves in. JMO

I’m going to go with more bad acting. I think he might of caught her sending nudes on the afternoon of Saturday the 9th. Probably was watching trail cams that were perfectly aimed at the back of the house where she happened to be sunbathing. Maybe he was aiming cams toward the house when he said he was looking for a turkey by the river when he stopped home for lunch.

This sending nudes thing in the preliminary hearing really makes me think this could be what drove BM into his final rage. It was kind of presented as read between the lines. This and his fellow workers saying he was constantly checking trail cams.

I think he knew that she was having an affair but he could not figure out whom with. Jmo

Will be interesting if they got any trail cam footage in evidence.......!!!

Yeah. He’s been charged with first degree murder, which means that we should hear about evidence that this was planned.

I say that, despite initially believing this may have been a crime of passion.

This evidence could come in the form of Google searches, purchases, or comments he made to others. There’s got to be something substantial coming.
So Chris McD said (WS interview 12th Aug - link below, timestamp 1:40:45)

"until we get into the purchasing of the items. The chlorine. That was at Salida Spa and Pool. [...] There's another big purchase, of corn feed. There's a burlap bag, it's a 50lb bag. So I'm sure all of that will start to fall into play."

This is the picture I'm building up :

Barry needs to make sure Suzanne is staying at home and is going to be relaxing outside, hence Suzanne's one line text - get hot tub stuff. I'm sure they've already discussed it. It reads like a reminder, she's not asking if he can.

11:50am - 12:50pm. Barry is near the river. Trail cams set up between house and river, capturing long range sun deck/hot tub. Corn trails dropped.

1:38pm - Barry leaves for just over an hour, he is remotely watching Suzanne settled outside/preparing his ambush.

2:44pm - Barry returns, leaving the truck door open, no noise. Suzanne does not let JL know that Barry is back, or even approaching in his truck at the end of the drive, or nearer, neither appears to know, since he carries on texting oblivious. Perhaps that gives us an idea of the river noise on that side of the house, drowning out the sound of his engine possibly slowly cruising, or perhaps she was wearing ear buds or the hot tub was whirring and warming up. Surely she would have been alert for his return. Barry's phone shows movements, he is not in the garage retrieving gun or ammunition/darts, he is outside the house, advancing, already armed with a dart loaded in his gun. One dart is missing. One cap is in the dryer. Suzanne is non-responsive to JL from the time Barry arrives but by 2:47pm Barry's focus is already on his phone. I don't think there was a chase, I think she was taken by complete surprise on her sun lounger, perhaps shot in the neck. Now he's probably running over to 'help' her but suddenly he is calm enough to take out his phone to turn it into airplane mode. Barry would then, I am sure, turn to Suzanne's phone to see what's on her screen and whether she's sent an SOS call.

I don't see how having a gun armed with a dart (not regular ammo) is not premeditation, if this is how it played out.

I expect he needs chipmunks dining nearby, on film, in case Suzanne managed to text JL and JL called out LE before Barry finished up.

No need to get rid of tranquilizer material the next day unless it was incriminating.

Ashley Franco @AshleyKKTV
·
10 Aug

Grusing says that same day #BarryMorphew phone was tracked roaming the outside of the Morphew residence. He asked why he was roaming around. Barry allegedly tells him he was chasing Chipmunks to shoot.

Carol McKinley @CarolAMcKinley
·
10 Aug

At 247, BM phone goes into airplane mode. Suzanne's phone is getting messages from her lover, libler asking about the weather. meanwhile, BM says he was moving around the house shooting chipmunks.

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch @CrimeTalkPod
·
10 Aug

At 2:47 his phone goes into airplane mode Suzanne got messages after 2:47 from Libler but did not respond. No movement of truck until 4:44 pm - driver door closes and driver door opens

Carol McKinley @CarolAMcKinley

Replying to <rsbm>

Yes. Grusing said they found a tranquilizer cap in the dryer vent when they searched the home. There was also mention of one dart missing from a 4-dart case.

2:09 am · 11 Aug 2021·Twitter for iPhone

@NoSI Thank you so much for sharing your notes!

From them, I wonder why:
JL reportedly lied about the last time they talked. When was last conversation, “I don’t know”. When was the last time you two spoke? “I forgot”.

It doesn’t make sense why he would lie after he was found out by LE. The only possible reason I can think of was in hopes the specifics of that last conversation would not be disclosed.

My gut says the defense will certainly use “the other guy” angle. The roller coaster that both families are going to experience in the months ahead will not be pretty. It is a horrible situation for anyone to find themselves in. JMO
What are your thoughts on posting the link to these personal @NoSI notes in the media timeline maps thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState