Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #73 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. At the moment, I am in the camp that this was a planned murder - not a spontaneous rage killing.

I'm under the impression that it was both.
I think it was essentially planned, but I also think it didn't transpire quite as he had anticipated; and it was hastened (probably JL exchange), and a thing or two went awry.
That could explain some sloppiness.
I also wonder if perhaps he had a slight bit of panic while the event was actually unfolding, as it was no longer just a scenario in his mind, but a real-life situation.

However it happened, I hate having to wait so long to find out if they have enough evidence to put him away! As that's all that really matters anymore.
Well that, and finding Suzanne.

jmoo

edit for clarification (but it's probably still all garbled, anyway!)

Last edited:
I think it’s a valid comment though (but I disagree with it). The defense will latch on to it to discredit SMs character. Because if she is Saint SM, the jury may have more compassion towards her. Of course it shouldn’t matter, but it jurors often show bias.
I think (hope) that jurors will see SM as many of us do. It’s not like she was having a torrid love affair with one of BMs friends (which I think matters). She went back in time to an old boyfriend from high school, someone familiar. SIX meetings in TWO years speaks volumes to me… this wasn’t about SEX, it was an emotional connection more than anything. Surely the DA will create a picture of her true character and help jurors see the truth about her situation.

Yeah. @NoSI’s notes had this:

JL reportedly lied about the last time they talked. When was last conversation, “I don’t know”. When was the last time you two spoke? “I forgot”.

Sad. Barry didn’t recall what his last words to Suzanne were either.

Oh crap, I just realized that it was the last words he said to her
--
I had read it as the last words she said to him.
That'll teach me to post while sleep deprived, and on antihistamine!

So I must apologies to the thread for a previous post of mine.
Although, now I am wondering what Suzanne last said to him.
Well, on second thought, maybe I don't want to know. :(

In fact I suspect he booked/paid for at least Saturday night as well as Sunday night, and maybe even Monday night -- not to mention his workers included both male and female, so we wondered early on whether he had two rooms for them.
Wasn’t his male worker the one who smelled the bleach? I’ve wondered WHY he gave them HIS room? IIRC they both entered room- smelled bleach, which made me think they both stayed in his ONE rented room.
BM figuring out how to save money while LEO are searching for his missing wife - fits with my opinion of what a complete narcissist he is …

I think (hope) that jurors will see SM as many of us do. It’s not like she was having a torrid love affair with one of BMs friends (which I think matters). She went back in time to an old boyfriend from high school, someone familiar. SIX meetings in TWO years speaks volumes to me… this wasn’t about SEX, it was an emotional connection more than anything. Surely the DA will create a picture of her true character and help jurors see the truth about her situation.
Absolutely! She was lonely and needed companionship.

Well, the difficulty of making quick stops at multiple trash dump sites, with a trailer on the back of your truck, is a factor (and he'd be way more obvious). Just finding a parking spot (HIE probably had plenty of parking for vehicles with trailers, but it would have been hard to find such a spot at WalMart or Home Depot, and the dump sites).

You have to drive more slowly with a trailer, it takes longer to find a slot to gas up at the gas station - everything is more awkward. The chances of LE noticing a truck with a Bobcat are higher, too. Supposed to drive in the slow lane through Denver, etc. My dad towed a trailer to CO for years, and as a man who preferred to drive fast, he disliked it intensely. The parking issues got worse and worse as Denver got more and more crowded...

During COVID, it would have been easier, but Barry probably wanted to travel swiftly and be able to maneuver quickly as well.
Yes, and he knew he would be returning home shortly - why take it and waste gas pulling it. Definitely more noticeable. Kids love those things - they are always pointing them out and drawing my attention to them when we go on trips.
If it was needed on that job, though … I just don’t know how he intended to explain why he didn’t take it? A mistake in planning? Or was he SO SURE that he wouldn’t be suspected? I think his job as a volunteer Firefighter enlarged his ego to the point he thought it would all go smoothly.

I’ve always suspected he left his phone home with SM’s phone while he was out disposing of her body/evidence so he could say he was home with her all night.
And he took her RR? Which was why he moved his truck in order to get it out?
There was a discussion about Winter Tires being on it - which I don’t understand because I would assume BM took care of those things and since SM rode daily and per MM’s BF - hauled her bike to trailheads, wouldn’t she have known if winter tires were on or off?
Forgive me, I’m tired, and probably overthinking something that means nothing.

And he took her RR? Which was why he moved his truck in order to get it out?
There was a discussion about Winter Tires being on it - which I don’t understand because I would assume BM took care of those things and since SM rode daily and per MM’s BF - hauled her bike to trailheads, wouldn’t she have known if winter tires were on or off?
Forgive me, I’m tired, and probably overthinking something that means nothing.
If he did take her Range Rover, there’s a major issue here according to @NoSI’s notes.

May 12, 2020: Search warrant for Verizon phone records, RTT data, F350. No human blood found in F350. Decomp dogs (2 different dogs, 2 different handlers) did not hit. An exhibit was shown: Image of inside of garage with 2 Range Rovers parked in it. Dogs did not hit.

That’s why I’m leaning towards another vehicle being in play here.

585ace611c000011070ecde6.jpeg

Tranq. Darts & FireFighters?
My husband has been a firefighter for 24 years in a city known for its extremely high murder rates (contrary to popular belief firemen respond to shootings, stabbing, suicides as well as fires). We also sit on the I95 drug corridor so Narcan and drug overdoses are multiple daily runs for him. Never, ever have I heard him mention having tranq darts in a fire station or on an ambulance. Maybe paramedics carry them on their own trucks, but fire stations here (nor the ambulances running out of them) carry tranquilizers.
@bkgregg5 Thanks for your post. Interesting, and I can see urban FFs, esp on I-95, may have many occasions to use Narcan. OTOH I imagine a small town or rural-ish FF unit - either paid or voluntary - may maintain a supply of tranq darts to use in certain wildlife situations.

Seems a couple times a month in our area, LE, FFs, and Parks & Wildlife personnel are summoned to help a bear or cub down from a tree in residential neighborhood, or from a power pole, or to remove from dumpster where bear is tucking into the midnight buffet, and relocate bear. Or a deer crashes thru a window of a home or business, then thrashes about, unable to retrace steps to exit. Sometimes a combo of the agencies is needed to tranq the beast, then move to appropriate habitat. But which agency specifically?
When fighting wildfires, are Chaffee Co., CO. FFs equipped w tranq darts for bears, deer, etc? In those situations, I doubt that LE or Parks & Wildlife are close enough to tranq or to put down wildlife. my2cts

BTW, thank you to your husband for his service.:):):)

I didn't say it was spontaneous. I believe this was planned, and born out of rage, which endured. The rage fueled the plans.

Keep in mind that I am suggesting a very dark scenario, indeed, what with tranquilizer darts, and moving her body off property before she died.

IMO.

No worries. I just happen to think that BM did put careful thought and planning into how Suzanne disappeared and carefully reviewed and staged a scenario. Just as he planned where to effectively conceal Suzanne.

He even thought to toss Suzanne's bike helmet along a get away route. And possibly/probably thought to get rid of her known biking clothes (but missed other bike riding accessories due to his ignorance).

The problem with these planned wife-murdering scenarios is that if no-one saw the wife riding her bike, if there is no torn clothing/blood from a mountain lion, if there are no screams heard, no CCTV of a strange car in the area then speeding away, no signs of a struggle, no lifeless body left in the river or tossed along a roadside, no mysterious bank withdrawals after the wife disappears ......... and yet there is evidence of the husband's activity at unusual times, as well as evidence of a failed marriage, an impending split (and perhaps evidence of financial issues and control) ........ then it all points back to the last person who saw the wife alive.

Does this lead to a very small percentage of wrongful convictions? Possibly. But I think, in this case, there will be plentiful evidence that BM is the calculating culprit.

Last edited:
1. Yes, the meds were named in court. He mispronounced clonazepam, but pretty sure that's what he meant. All these meds would make sense in SMs condition and situation. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine that is meant for short-term use only. It is often prescribed as needed for anxiety and sometimes sleep. Mirtazapine is a antidepressant that is often used for sleep at lower doses. At higher doses it is very effective for depression and anxiety. We use it a lot in our oncology pts as it can improve appetite. Hydrocodone is a pain medication.
2. In the photo we saw, her chest was covered. Her hair covered her shoulders, so didn't see straps, but not naked in that particular photo. She looked stunning! I don't think that it was discussed when the nudes were sent.
3. Nope, just that her bed was stripped, nothing more. And that no blood was found in her room (or anywhere else).
4. Yes, i agree completely. Not surprisingly, the defense spent quite a bit of time on Equator hoping to plant the seed ... Yeah, that was classic. The way she asked the question was unforgettable. Dry, a bit sarcastic... And then she said No further questions if I remember correctly. I like her style!

Please know this is MOO. I could have misinterpreted some things.

Excellent, having our very own RXN in the courthouse!
Thank you for all of your notes, and photos, and information!
❤︎

edit to add:

ugh, I am so behind -- this is fantastic! Didn't see it until just now.
So much effort, greatly appreciated, again, thank you!
You must be exhausted!

Last edited:
Replying to my own post because to late to edit to add what @NoSI just posted from prelim.

May 9, 2021 – 14:04: Msg from JL asking “How did you get along”; SM responds with “He is always gone somewhere, never stops, but that’s fine with me”; Later SM to JL “Thank you Babe! I am just in love with you”; JL to SM “Cleaning up outside. Want to strip down and get naked?”; SM to JL “Can you talk? I am on What’s App”; JL to SM “Let me check on kids to see if able to”; 14:11 - SM to JL “okay, I am on What’s App

I think Suzanne took nudes after JL said want to strip and get naked and Barry saw this on his trail cams and this threw him into his rage.

Wow.

So, I keep returning back to the Apple Watch, and sunbathing....
of course she probably was not wearing it if sunbathing.
BUT - was she actually sunbathing?
She may have decided she looked pretty good that day (we all have our good days and bad days, and some fab days) and so maybe she just went out there for a mini photo shoot.
I also considered it was probably a cropped nude shot, from the way it was described. (But I didn't think it was necessarily a real-time mutual exchange, until I read that!)
Anyway, so, if it was chilly outside and she just went out there for quick fun-in-the-sun type selfies - then maybe she was still wearing her Apple Watch. (If she indeed had one.)

Really sorry for a(nother) dumb post, but I keep trying to figure out ways to hold out hope, that she was wearing an Apple Watch; as it does seem there is a fairly pin-point TOD.

idk -- I'm just doing the straw-grasping thing over here.

I didn't say it was spontaneous. I believe this was planned, and born out of rage, which endured. The rage fueled the plans.

Keep in mind that I am suggesting a very dark scenario, indeed, what with tranquilizer darts, and moving her body off property before she died.

I also believe that after Barry disposed of Suzanne, he went back to PP and sat down at her computer and read as much as he could of her messages to JL. JL was responsible for the purchase of the bike - JL is the inspiration for her becoming a bicyclist (IMO). Barry probably thought it was...him. He already knew about JL and he was already furious, but he now realizes that the bike and other aspects of her lifestyle - maybe even her choice of biking clothing - was related to JL, not to him.

He was still working out the staging in his mind, but the fact that he forgot to turn off his phone when he takes the bike down to its resting spot tells me that he was not thinking straight (angry, tired, blown gaskets). He doesn't have much time - he needs to get on the road to Broomfield, for whatever reason. He's probably going nuts with regret, rage, fear, self-hatred, suicidality and whatever else goes along with this kind of crime - but he can't be knocked down, he's tough.

And now he's in jail for something he did, planned to do, and couldn't keep himself from doing.

IMO.

This would also align with Andy telling Dr. Phil that he thought Suzanne had been abducted, taken to a second location, and murdered.

(At 1:14)

I have always believed that this case would turn out to be absolutely horrific, but I am still in a bit of shock, just thinking about Suzanne's final moments. This might turn out to be one of the most diabolical cases I've ever followed. :(

Really? You would want to remain married to a piece of work who withheld from LE potential motive for murder and would still be in hiding if LE hadn't discovered HIM?

To me, his lack of character borders on criminal. I would not stay married to such a person. He cheats, he hides, he's completely self-centered.

Does he remind you of anyone else in this case?

And his last name is Libler, he lives in MI and he has 6(!) children who are impacted by his actions.

JMO
I personally would throw him out, yes, but then I am not Mrs L, and am not privy to her thoughts, feelings and circumstances. I do feel that she is the one person who should now be able to do exactly what she likes, and without criticism. Hope this doesn't sound nasty, I don't mean it that way.

Last edited:
But I could be wrong -- a while back I "Liked" a post that said maybe Suzanne is in Ecuador -- I thought they were kidding.
I'll have to admit, I think that was the first time I ever "Unliked" a post, when I later realized that they were serious!

I really really really really want her to be in Ecuador.

No sympathy from me. He strung SM along (the affair made him nervous about losing his family and his job). He had no intention of marrying her or being with her. He did not help with the investigation. If he had he could have requested anonymity. He is a cheat and a coward.
I didn't say I have any sympathy for him, but for his wife.

Thank you for your excellent work NoSI

I noticed you wrote (on page 6) (BBM) -

<quote>
DA Linda Stanley questions Commander Walker

MalM called the Ritter’s on 5/10/20 regarding SM missing. LE was called by the Ritter’s. BM NEVER called LE to report SM missing. BM did not participate in any searches with LE. BM likely had a LE type radio as Volunteer Firefighter.
<end quote>

(and page 3) -

<quote>
May 11, 2020
1:06 AM: BM interviewed and he was free to leave thereafter. BM reportedly stated that “I want to help out any way I can”. He shared they had dinner the evening of May 9th and that they had a “great day together”. He left in the morning of 5/10 for Broomfield and reportedly texted SM “Happy Mother’s Day”, but never got a response. This was not unusual as cell phone service is poor at PP. He later contacted MalB to see if daughters had heard from SM. MalB then eventually called the Ritter’s’ and Jean Ritter offered to check the house. SM not there and bike not there. BM got reportedly “really upset” and asked the Ritter’s to call LE.
<end quote>

my takeaway -

1. Barry could have radioed in his concerns instead of asking the neighbor to call.

2. Is there any possibility that Barry could have listened in on LE speaking to each other on his way back from Broomfield?

If you have been shown the last known picture of your missing wife by LE....is there any scenario you can think of where your first reaction and response is....."She looks drunk"? That is about as emotionally detached from the picture as I can possibly think of. My wife is missing...I don't know if she is dead or alive (supposedly)...and her picture generates that resp0nse? LE has a mountain of those kinds of moments with Barry....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste