Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Love Never Fails sbm for focus bbm
I missed that about SM not having an ATM card so am hoping you or someone can provide a link w quote.
Pls & TY.
Oh I’m sorry. Don’t know how to do that. It was in the hearing yesterday. Testimony.
Yes; I personally don't always follow Lauren specifically, but her role is very important. I understand that professionals working the case might be exhausted and late, it has been a long ordeal. But for NoSi to give up her place was pure human generosity, I view it as selfless, kind, and admirable.
Yep, @NoSI is a beautiful example of what humanity should be.

Here's a puzzle. Why did Barry put his phone into airplane mode at 2:47pm? It had already recorded him coming home, why, in the middle of a chase was that so important to do right then? Why would it look suspicious for example for his phone to be near Suzanne's in their own home? It doesn't appear that they were able to track Suzanne's phone's movements. I get that it seems he had a plan to switch his phone into airplane mode at some point, to hide his whereabouts, but it seems as if it was a priority for him and even that action is going to be a red flag to investigators while he is supposedly in his own home. He could have just put it down somewhere, that would have been less suspicious.

The tranquilizer:

If we assume BM used the normal animal tranquilizer, ketamine, I can give some insight into its effects on a human. I was on a medical trial for a ketamine nose spray to be used to treat depression. Obviously the doses I was given were intended for human use and not intended to knock me out completely. During my treatments I would receive my first dose of 1 spray in each nostril first, then 15 minutes later I would receive a second round of 1 spray in each nostril. The first dose didn't really do anything notable. The 2nd dose usually kicked in after about 5 minutes. At this point, the doctor would question me about how I was feeling, whether I felt dizzy or not, if I felt like my mind was separate from my body (hard to explain feeling), EKGs would be performed. I was required to stay in the reclining chair that everything took place in due to the effects on co-ordination. Prior to treatments, I was offered a last chance to use the bathroom because I would be I the recliner for more than 2 hours while the doctor observed me and they did not want me to attempt walking once the doses were administered. Anyway, like I said, the first dose didn't do much, but within a few minutes of the 2nd dose, my thoughts would get really fuzzy, the room/walls around me would start to look wavy, kind of like when the room spins after drinking, from there, the Dr would ask me questions and I had a hard time answering them because my thoughts were muddled and my brain felt out of sync with my mouth. If they had allowed me to get up and walk at that point, I would not have been able to because my muscles didn't feel like they worked anymore. I had a hard time keeping my head up because it felt like my neck couldn't support the weight of my head. All of these feelings would continue for approximately an hour. When the treatment was completed for the day (approximately 2 hours from start to finish) my husband was required to come up to the office and help get me out to the car because my legs still felt like jello. He would get me in the car and drive home which took about 30 minutes. During the ride home, I was still having some effects from the drug. I drove my husband nuts because I was constantly jumping because in my mind he was driving way too fast (he wasn't) and the other cars all seemed like they were trying to play bumper cars with us ( they werent). Once home I would lay down and fall asleep for a few hours. I usually woke up feeling completely normal, but because the effects can continue, I was not allowed to drive for 24 hours following a treatment.

So, all that to say, if Suzanne was shot with a dart containing ketamine, I would assume it's a much larger dose than what I was given, but she definitely would have lost her ability to run from BM pretty quickly and I doubt she would have the muscle function to fight him off after a very short time. Depending on the dose, she could have passed out completely very shortly after the shot. She could have woken back up after, but she would probably still have the effects of the med going on. Ketamine would make it very easy for Barry to overpower her and move her at his leisure and that could continue for hours. In my mind, Barry had alot of time to bury her, push her off a cliff, throw her down a mine shaft, or do any number of things with her before she actually died which could explain the lack of cadaverine. The 3 hour window that has been brought up actually makes alot of sense from my perspective.

If they can hurry it up and find SM, her fingernails could have BM DNA under them from those scratches still, correct?
I think the most damning piece of evidence the prosecution has is the scratch marks on the arm. Their existence, and the timeframe in which they existed is key. If Barry wore a tee shirt to the job site on Saturday am....MG can attest to whether or not she noticed anything on his arm. Even if she didn't...the showed up within the time frame where Suzanne was supposed to have been alive. That evidence supports the "struggle scenario" about as well as anything else...followed by an O Solo Meo steak dinner.

Barry made the statement very emphatically "I've never had an affair"....If that can be refuted at trial...it would, IMO, be a gamechanger for a jury for two reasons: It takes the bite out of Suzanne's affair which the defense is beating like a dead horse...and secondly, it goes directly to Barry's credibility. "If he lied about that...what else did he lie about"? Jurys need to decide how credible a witness is in a circumstantial case like this one. So I think it is very important to verify whether Barry had an affair or not.
Was this not covered at the beginning of the hearing? Though, I think there will be concerted efforts going forward (if it goes to trial) to uncover any extra marital affairs (on either side).

To my mind, and looking at SM's social media and the commencment of the affair - something happened to change her view of BM (or her life in general) around about late 2017/eary 2018, or she just couldn't be bothered putting on a false front anymore. I think its the former rather than the latter. As I said above, I think that her view on life in general changed, this could have been the return of cancer or it could have been something else. The something else is usually not a popular opinion, but I have seen this happen in a couple of marriages recently where the couples have been of similar ages to SM and BM.

I think the most damning piece of evidence the prosecution has is the scratch marks on the arm. Their existence, and the timeframe in which they existed is key. If Barry wore a tee shirt to the job site on Saturday am....MG can attest to whether or not she noticed anything on his arm. Even if she didn't...the showed up within the time frame where Suzanne was supposed to have been alive. That evidence supports the "struggle scenario" about as well as anything else...followed by an O Solo Meo steak dinner.
I would be with you here - BUT - did the prosecution/LE think they had value at the time? If they did, why didn't they analyse the scratches and other marks more thoroughly?

Reading Judge Murphy's above quoted statement when he says "I'm going to have to put quite a bit of effort laying out the evidence so I can explain my decision" I take that to mean that he has already made his decision, but needs to carefully summarise it in the legal sense.

I would have expected him to say that he needs to take time to 'make his decision" rather than 'explain'.

So assuming that he has already made his decision, but just taking the time to cross and dot his T's and I's, it would point to Barry being held over for trial. Because, if he wasn't going to hold him over for trial, I would assume that it would be unethical for him to not release BM immediately.

Maybe that's wishful thinking but I personally feel that BM will not be going home on 17 September.
I agree. The judge needs to support his decision making in any judgement or order he makes (in fact all judges have to do this, but you know this already).

What does surprise me is that it would appear that the judge is all last minute.com. I would have expected the judge to have (supported) reasonings from days 1 and 2 already.

I am still on the fence as to whether this will go to trial or not. On balance, I suspect it will and the judge is just making sure that his decision cannot be easily attacked by the defence.

Yes. And let's not forget that hour he spent by the river where he said he was looking for the dead turkey. I am sure he spent that hour plotting, stalking and preparing. MOO

I think that hour was spent adjusting his trail cams so he could observe SM behind the house while he ran his errands (DSI, spa store, etc.)
Here's a puzzle. Why did Barry put his phone into airplane mode at 2:47pm? It had already recorded him coming home, why, in the middle of a chase was that so important to do right then? Why would it look suspicious for example for his phone to be near Suzanne's in their own home? It doesn't appear that they were able to track Suzanne's phone's movements. I get that it seems he had a plan to switch his phone into airplane mode at some point, to hide his whereabouts, but it seems as if it was a priority for him and even that action is going to be a red flag to investigators while he is supposedly in his own home. He could have just put it down somewhere, that would have been less suspicious.

IMO airplane mode likely served multiple purposes:
Making BM invisible to SM if she used her phone (through “find my phone” set up for all phones on their cellular account) to track his whereabouts.
Preventing incoming calls while he was busy doing what he came home to do.
Preventing the trail cams he’d likely adjusted just a couple hours before from loading to his phone any photos they would take from the time he arrived home until he later took the phone off airplane mode.

Interesting! Cognitive dissonance much, judge? AA was adequate for an arrest but deeply flawed as proof of the crimes? I call for judicial review. I know others disagree but something isn't right.
JMHO

You and I are 100% on the same page. I don't really understand the point of the PH if the AA was enough to arrest him for these charges, why isn't it enough to go to trial? Why would the judge approve having BM arrested on the charges submitted but not feel its enough to go to trial? This is extremely confusing and even more confusing if Judge Murphy is the judge that signed the AA. If a different judge signed the AA I could see Murphy disagreeing, but not if he is the one who signed it.

I’m trying to figure out where Barry was between 2:44 PM and 5:30 PM. Did he possibly take her body somewhere (even a temporary move) in this timeframe?

He initially arrived home at 2:44 PM. When did he leave again to go to Salida Stove and Spa? (Or wherever he really went.)

Where was he when the truck door opened at 4:44 pm?

Here are clips from several articles.

Investigators say for the next several hours, the doors on the truck were being opened and closed.

At 4:44 p.m., Morphew’s truck door opened and closed. At 5:25 p.m., the gear shift went from park to reverse and moved backward in the driveway 95 feet.

Morphew’s defense says he visited the Salida Stove and Spa between 4 and 5:30 p.m. that day, and he spoke with two employees at the store.

Investigators say for the next several hours, the doors on the truck were being opened and closed. At 5:33 p.m., they say the truck apparently had some kind of system reboot, but agents couldn’t explain what would cause this. Afterward, the truck was moved down the driveway about 100 feet.

You and I are 100% on the same page. I don't really understand the point of the PH if the AA was enough to arrest him for these charges, why isn't it enough to go to trial? Why would the judge approve having BM arrested on the charges submitted but not feel its enough to go to trial? This is extremely confusing and even more confusing if Judge Murphy is the judge that signed the AA. If a different judge signed the AA I could see Murphy disagreeing, but not if he is the one who signed it.
I don't think J Murphy signed the AA. It would be unusual for the judge who signed the AA to actually be the judge who was presiding over the trial.

I would be with you here - BUT - did the prosecution/LE think they had value at the time? If they did, why didn't they analyse the scratches and other marks more thoroughly?

They took photos - and I know from the Gerard Baden Clay murder trial, the doctor that testified was testifying about his fingernail scratch injuries from photos taken by the police and entered into evidence.

On May 13, photographs were taken of Barry Morphew at the Department of Public Health. He had injuries on both of his hands, and three scratch marks on one of his upper arms.
Barry Morphew had injuries to his hands and scratch marks on his arm after wife's disappearance

If they can hurry it up and find SM, her fingernails could have BM DNA under them from those scratches still, correct?

I wonder if Suzanne had artificial nails. I bet those don't deteriorate as quickly as biological material. I hope they find her remains soon. Does anyone know when hunting season begins in Colorado? I'm hopeful that a hunter or mushroom gatherer will stumble across her remains as I have seen happen many times on here. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leledragon24