Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I hope all of you are doing well! I haven’t really been on in a few days and just wanted to let you know that I will be off Saturday - Tuesday and will definitely get the notes typed up. I overscheduled myself a bit this week and probably won’t get to it before this weekend, but will still try. I have also not been able to keep up with the threads (:() and probably missed some questions. I don't think that I will be able to read through all the recent threads, so if there is anything you have questions about, please re-post the question. I will try to keep up again starting now. :)

I am beginning to think the missing 18 miles on his truck was the pit stop at poncho springs to throw a phone and charger in a dumpster. It’s about 10 miles from Salida to Poncha springs but I don’t have the exact addresses of their home to the store he was dumpster diving in. Probably could easily add a few more miles. If I have time I’ll look it up. All jmo
Wait -- wasn't the 18 miles accounted for after BM admitted to chasing deer antlers on opposite US 50, turning around at the mine, and backtracking towards Broomfield via Buena Vista?

As another thought: I just routed a map from PP to the turnaround area on 50 west, (left), to Poncha Market to Johnson Village. Total time about 45 minutes. We had BM leaving between 4:32 and 5:00 am and turning at Johnson Village at 5:37. This fits exactly. The rest of the ride to Broomfield is too tight time wise to have hidden a body as was noted in the PH. Conclusion: SM was disposed of sometime before approximately 4:32 am. MOO
Yes!!

Ive always thought that he placed her nearby as well.

I have always leaned towards her being hidden in a mine somewhat close to PP.

This FBI search makes me hopeful. Barry could have hidden her somewhere on his route and then moved her to a more remote location later. I would think LE would have been watching him very closely, but I thought the same about the Stauch case.
Maybe she was close to home initially and then somehow Barry was able to move her undetected when he found out about Andy’s search last September? Trying not to get my hopes up but the FBI’s language is intriguing: They are not releasing information on the search because it could jeopardize the integrity of the investigation; there is no threat to the public; and more information will be released at a later time. Hmmm…

BM's good friend said that if BM wanted to make a body disappear so it could never be found, he could do it. I'll take BM's good friend's impressions about that.

IMO, there is NO WAY BM would have paid an unsavory type to get rid of SM's body. Why? Three reasons:
  • It was something he likely believed he'd be better at (just as his friend believed he'd be good at it);
  • Doing it himself meant he wouldn't have a potential witness out there who, next time they got themselves in serious trouble with the law, could trade info about BM to make things easier on themselves; and
  • BM is too cheap to pay some drug addict, meth head, or former convict good money for anything other than to save himself hard labor (and even then, he is himself being paid).
ETA: I think there may even be a 4th reason: I think BM is proud he was so good at making SM disappear and throwing around smoke after such that LE has not found her and his family believes his claims he had nothing to do with it.

For as much as I agree with all the above, I do think it possible that BM could have solicited help (including a vehicle) from someone that was summoned late at night and unknowingly helped with what they believed was roadkill-- and not his wife.

I think BM was to be feared -- when he called, they jumped. And I'm not referring to MG -- that poor woman left the state because she was afraid. MOO

I don't think she was dead when he took her from the house. I think cadaver dogs would have hit on the house or the vehicles or both. He knew that and I think that is where the tranquillizer comes into play. I think she was tranquilized and taken out. I definitely could see it being in the daughters RR and during the night time hours. What if he wasn't sure what he was going to do, but she woke up and forced him to pull over and he pushed her over in that area.

Wait -- wasn't the 18 miles accounted for after BM admitted to chasing deer antlers on opposite US 50, turning around at the mine, and backtracking towards Broomfield via Buena Vista?
Grusing was asked about the 18-19 miles that were missing from #Barrymorphew odometer in his truck. Nielsen is talking about where Salida Stove and Spa is located and asked if it is a coincidence if the location to the spa is the same amount of missing miles, "No," Grusing said.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429823411778379776?s=21

There were 19 miles that were unaccounted for when #BarryMorphew went to Broomfield. Neilsen said this Salida Stove and Spa trip could account for 18 miles.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425215332575236096?s=21

At 2:32 p.m. #BarryMorphew is seen in his truck on surveillance passing the Shell Gas Station which is east of Salida Spa and Stove. The truck wasn't seen again until 5:14 a.m. heading east.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429858864158191623?s=21

Undersheriff is saying that #BarryMorphew turned around at the Garfield Mine after leaving the home Sunday morning.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429859239271571456?s=21

Garfield Mine round trip from the Morphew Home is 6.2 miles, not 18-19 miles missing from #BarryMorphew truck odometer.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429896067341029383?s=21

Catching up here, sorry if this has been addressed. RE Barry accidentally hitting or brushing or whatever the verb was towards Suzanne's nose....why would it be in his interests to tell LE that. Was that because someone else could be proven to have been there at the time? IE a family member?
I am thinking along the lines that he had her phone and sat and read her journal and alot of his behavior was documented including any physical violence - I think he burned the journal and read her phone and decided it needed to go together with the charger - I think all of it was put in the cooler at some point and transported away from the house. That's my guess.
JMO

For as much as I agree with all the above, I do think it possible that BM could have solicited help (including a vehicle) from someone that was summoned late at night and unknowingly helped with what they believed was roadkill-- and not his wife.

I think BM was to be feared -- when he called, they jumped. And I'm not referring to MG -- that poor woman left the state because she was afraid. MOO

https://www.fox21news.com/top-stories/search-for-suzanne-morphew-pushes-on-despite-silence-from-chaffee-county-sheriff/

“We are such a small town where everyone knows everything. You would be amazed by the secrets the mountains hold regarding this case,” a business owner said.

Another store owner added, “people that have money can do dangerous things, if you get too close to the fire you can get burned.”

There was a lot more publicity this week for the two-day preliminary and I think it's possible the FBI search is the result of a tip.

Does anybody recall the contractor interviewed outside the court on Monday morning before the hearing? He said he worked with BM and wondered if LE looked for SM where he suggested. It was a MSM sound bite video -- not finding it in the news reels. MOO

Grusing was asked about the 18-19 miles that were missing from #Barrymorphew odometer in his truck. Nielsen is talking about where Salida Stove and Spa is located and asked if it is a coincidence if the location to the spa is the same amount of missing miles, "No," Grusing said.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429823411778379776?s=21

There were 19 miles that were unaccounted for when #BarryMorphew went to Broomfield. Neilsen said this Salida Stove and Spa trip could account for 18 miles.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425215332575236096?s=21

At 2:32 p.m. #BarryMorphew is seen in his truck on surveillance passing the Shell Gas Station which is east of Salida Spa and Stove. The truck wasn't seen again until 5:14 a.m. heading east.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429858864158191623?s=21

Undersheriff is saying that #BarryMorphew turned around at the Garfield Mine after leaving the home Sunday morning.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429859239271571456?s=21

Garfield Mine round trip from the Morphew Home is 6.2 miles, not 18-19 miles missing from #BarryMorphew truck odometer.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1429896067341029383?s=21

So, if I understand correctly, BM did not go back the Spa Store between 4:30 and 6 on Sat. 5/9.
That is a big deal, someone from the Spa Store is "mistaken" or possibly worse.
(I thought that Shell camera would be pivotal to the timeline.)

Waiting patiently with you all for news about Berthoud Pass. Sounds like the timeline might make it improbable. But could Barry have moved her remains later that week, basically a second time, even after she was reported missing? (a la Tee Stauch) Or was he being closely watched immediately?

Hoping Barry got squirmy in jail after the PH didn’t bail him out, and started blabbing.

The problem with that area near Berthoud Pass being an ideal steep cliff to drop evidence over, is that the freeway also runs along the bottom of that slope. So maybe not an ideal spot to dump anything big (could be visible from the bottom looking up) or heavy (could roll all the way down and end up on the freeway below, eek).

That said, if it's not SM, let it be Kelsey Berreth's remains, or clues that solve some other important cold case!

Geez, you’re right. If the coordinates of the location that were posted up thread are correct, I have attached Google Earth images of the area and cliff. Not only is there a freeway down below, but a campground across the way. Seems a somewhat populous location that would allow for something dumped to be noticed by driver-bys or campers. Hmmm

ETA: Also seems like a very random location to dump a body.

Attachments

• 912307EB-BD61-4647-A954-11D268209CC6.jpeg
    912307EB-BD61-4647-A954-11D268209CC6.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 73
  • AD216AD6-BC2A-4F03-9180-0786D71E2EDA.jpeg
    AD216AD6-BC2A-4F03-9180-0786D71E2EDA.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 75
  • B1311514-2F60-4596-9437-1337617DF3E7.jpeg
    B1311514-2F60-4596-9437-1337617DF3E7.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 67
Status
Not open for further replies.