Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike shoes with cleats would have left a characteristic footprint if SM was with her bike but got off it for some reason. If there were no such footprints, there was no evidence that she was there. Big oops if you’ve faked a bike accident.
What, if she had fallen down "a hill", intentionally pushed away by a vehicle? I imagine, there wouldn't have been footprints perhaps?

I’ll bet they could potentially. They’re now used for search and rescue. But this is not open terrain, except in some areas. And there are deep folds, spurs, and ravines. You can’t see in those.Very few places have a trail running through them, even though there’s a major trail. 20 yards from the trail, and you’ve got wilderness. This is huge geography.
I have a friend who went missing years ago in a plane crash. They never found the crash site...Then there’s the woman who went missing off the AT in Maine. They didn’t find her; years later, someone happened upon her tent with skeleton in the woods. She was a mere mile or so from a road, and not far from where she was last seen. No amount of thorough searching helped.

Thank you. I had watched a mountain bike trail video early in the case and wasn't sure how they were all set up. :)

Hmm. I wonder if LE pulled the YT interview this morning. Someone posted here last night they emailed the info and link to that video to LE. They may be reviewing it.
When I went back to review and listen to it again, it was gone but another YTer (AJ aka Audrey) had posted it and said she had passed it on to Chaffee County Sheriff Office.

Hmm. I wonder if LE pulled the YT interview this morning. Someone posted here last night they emailed the info and link to that video to LE. They may be reviewing it.
When I went back to review and listen to it again, it was gone but another YTer (AJ aka Audrey) had posted it and stated in description that she had passed it on to Chaffee County Sheriff Office.

My thought for today fwiw; LE receives a call one afternoon and immediately after visiting the home begins a search with dogs, drones, and multiple agencies. The next day a missing person report is released with no identifying information, and no help wanted from the public. They dont even want surveillance video, yet. All of the above very not typical of a typical missing persons case.
This information alone, in my completely honest opinion, is not simply because of a missing bike. Either LE found criminal evidence, or they were provided with incriminating information. My belief is that the bike ride was an assumption, a possibility, or a true or not true story provided. (It actually sounds premeditated to me at this point, but jmo.) With that, I feel like the bike part of this is a very small piece to a big puzzle. Jmho. I believe that SM knew the person(s) responsible, and I believe LE has a pretty good idea, too. And, I think the mountain lion is completely innocent. I have many specuations in my mind surrounding motives and other things, but this is my summary for todays main thoughts.

What I find so interesting is reading the comments from others under the recent YT video and on Facebook. Most (not all) seem to have had a change of heart about BM since his *interview* and convinced that he’s innocent and searching hard to find his wife?

Maybe I’m missing what they’re seeing in that video but I feel just the opposite.

JMO
Me, too! There is now an outpouring of support and belief in him but I don’t believe him at all. “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“ . I have certainly been wrong before, I’m no expert for sure ... but I’m curious to know if I’m a good judge of character or not.

Me, too! There is now an outpouring of support and belief in him but I don’t believe him at all. “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“ . I have certainly been wrong before, I’m no expert for sure ... but I’m curious to know if I’m a good judge of character or not.
I feel like a lot of the "change of heart" came from the idea that he was being filmed unknowingly or without permission. I think if folks look beyond that part, they would see it in a different light. The fact that it was allegedly secretive adds an emotional factor added to it. Heck I was even afraid a time or two that T was going to get attacked if BM realized the camera was rolling. Just my opinion, though.

Hah, I noticed the same thing. That's certainly not the case on this forum. Are we more discerning than the casual observer, or are we more hardened and cynical?

One additional thought I took from the video. The likelihood that this was a premeditated crime by BM went down in my opinion, for a couple of reasons.

1) BM didn't come across as an intellectual. While not every person who plans a murder is a freaking genius, just listening to the way he talks, I definitely don't think he fits the m.o. of a guy who thinks he's the smartest man in the room and can outwit/outsmart LE and get away with a crime.
2) BM stated that the daughters had planned on coming home on Mother's Day to specifically spend it with SM. So if that's true - a couple of things. First is just the cruelty of a crime to a mother on Mother's Day where the daughters are almost guaranteed of carrying around the guilt of having been gone (and now delayed a return) that may have contributed to the disappearance. Additionally, if one was to believe the crime occurred on Sunday (knowing that's legitimately in question) it shortens the window considerably if this was planned (how could BM know they would be delayed). It's not unprecedented for a father to be that cold and cruel toward his daughters, but I do think it's less likely he would choose this timing because of the impact on them. JMO, MOO.
3) I also think a premeditated murderer is going to pick one alternative story and stick with it. BM seems grasping at straws re: what might have happened to SM. JMO, but that doesn't gut-check with me - I think it's far more likely that he's either telling the truth or covering up a crime of passion than he is playing out a carefully designed plan. MOO.

Maybe it was premeditated and BMs a poor planner. Or maybe he is Keyser Soze (sorry for the Usual Suspects reference only some will get). But I think not. JMO.
On the other hand, maybe the “playing dumb” has served him well in the past and maybe he did it on Mother’s Day for that very reason ... because who would do such a thing to their children? It seems that good, quiet people tend to be more devious when they hurt others - they do have an image to uphold, after all. JMO.

JMO
Apparantly BM was even fooled by the youtuber so dont feel bad if our initial assessments turn out wrong. For the people that work at fooling someone else, they get good at it and they learn ways to convince others.

That youtuber helped remind me to never trust any stranger at first even if they sound convincing and seem friendly.

I'm willing to entertain this possibility. However, if they really coordinated this thing, I'm struggling to come up with a reasonable, logical explanation for why Tyler would be critical/suspicous-sounding of Barry in his post-interview commentary/analysis (most of which was on a separate video, though I recall he made a comment or two after he walked away from BM that were not favorable, one of which accused BM of making a kind of "threat" to Tyler if he were from the media. And apparently Tyler also commented on one of the follow-up videos that he ran into BM and his Mom at the local Walmart like 10 minutes later. (I believe someone posted about this last evening, if I'm not mistaken. If not, mea culpa, I must have read this somewhere else). ETA: Am thinking these are small-town coincidences, but am willing to hear other arguments.
I think the criticisms were part of the “script” in order to convince viewers it was REAL and to create support for BM in the GP, which was basically crucifying him before this video appeared ... So many get tried in the public these days before they are ever arrested and I think it affects their actual trial. How do you find a jury of your peers who hasn’t seen anything with so much attention on your case?
One thing that seems to hold true in cases like this is that the person responsible NEEDS to tell his side of the story, because he has to be in control of the production. JMO.

Well in colorado he doesn't need permission from Barry but... The fact that he told him he wasn't being recorded changes things. He lied to his face and stood there pretending he came all that way to help. He was also calling him bro and asking what he can do to help. Tyson was not there to help anyone he could care less. He was also touching that bag of food he found...he obviously has no background in searching for a missing person and he didn't care enough to actually educate himself. He is just like an annoying nosy neighbor.

As others have astutely pointed out, even the Supreme Court has said it's ok for law enforcement to blatantly lie to folks. It's not a crime to lie for LE or an individual. On the other hand, it is a crime to be a perp of a "missing person".

My Bold vs. My Bold italics:
This does NOT mean you can travel on the trail by car and 4-wheel drive or train! It refers to “access points” as accessible. It means you can get to the trailheads with those means of transportation.
The trail is wide enough for a bike. Not even a bike and a hiker. I don’t know if horses are allowed.

Good morning and thank you for the clarification on the trail. I brought it up as I was just wondering why he even brought up the Colorado Trail in the first place? It just seemed an odd thing to say to TD..the trail runs all the way from here to Denver..

JMO

I think BM realized he might be telling the stranger too much and that's why he changed the subject a couple of times. He may also have noticed the camera.
JMO
The part I keep thinking about is when he is describing the position of the bike, wheel facing ... then he abruptly changes the subject. I think he may have been picturing it in his mind and realized he should not know that ... maybe I am confused, maybe he was told by LE or someone else on the scene... but it sounded like he was describing what HE saw.

What did BM "leak" that could damage the case? I've seen nothing. Did the stranger turn around and immediately turn over the video to LE? Not that I'm aware.

Why did the stranger intentionally lie to BM to give him the impression he wasn't being recorded?

JMO
I listened to TD discussing the recorded interview last night. It was not planned or staged.

TD has been on YouTube for awhile covering a couple of other cases.

He said there were many who now think Barry is innocent.

But he said his opinion is that he is guilty. He said Barry didn’t know anything about him and yet he started right into his story of what happened, as if he had rehearsed it many times. He said Barry was nervous and his eyes darted around. He didn’t believe his story about the bike. He didn’t believe a sheriff saw a mountain lion.

He said he hopes he is innocent but just has a gut feeling that he is guilty. He said the threat at the end was in jest but he got his point across anyway.

Another thing, he said when Barry said he had searched 200 miles and his friend had served 400 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, he felt Barry misspoke as he was nervous. Or maybe he likes to exaggerate.

In my opinion Barry could have rehearsed his story. On the other hand there is a saying that when you tell the truth you can tell it a million times and it comes out the same way. I have found that to be so. Maybe Barry is telling the truth.

I have seen posters saying Barry has a lawyer. Can anyone here please prove that? Is there a link where a named lawyer is representing Barry?

I absolutely believe the YouTuber contacted LE. That’s why he took the videos down.

I’m waiting for charges and an arrest warrant. Then we will know.

Right now all of us are just speculating.

MOO I was surprised how many are supporting him after that video. Personally I feel more strongly after the video that he is dishonest and insincere.

Fence sitting here and still trying to give BM the benefit of the doubt .. just my different perspective on some things from the TD video with BM:

BM does start off by saying to the effect that it is emotional.

Where BM paused after the reference to Mother's Day, I actually had an impression that he choked up a bit with emotion and that it took the pause to compose himself.

With reference to "had two daughters", he is talking Mother's Day and the mother of their children and the life they had together.

As for any "threat" at the end, it sounded to me like there was a mild attempt at some humor, nothing warranting embellishment or sensationalizing.
I agree Sillybilly. I don’t know what LE knows but I heard what you heard.

On the other hand, maybe the “playing dumb” has served him well in the past and maybe he did it on Mother’s Day for that very reason ... because who would do such a thing to their children? It seems that good, quiet people tend to be more devious when they hurt others - they do have an image to uphold, after all. JMO.
No doubt it's possible. I just think it is less likely as this scenario would inflict significant additional emotional harm on the kids. Maybe I'm giving too much thought to it (in this case, would someone planning a murder give a single thought to what it will do to others? I dont know), but for the reasons I listed, premeditation dropped down on my list of possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper