Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7

Thread #8
Thread #9

Media, Maps & Timeline thread (No Discussion)

Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)

Verified Experts/Professionals posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney

Her fb page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1141246651

Thread #10

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTINUING DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD

Tricia wants members to know that she feels very badly that anyone was upset by the thread specific decision she made yesterday to allow discussion of the rumors in this case. She will revisit this matter as the situation warrants.

The Sheriff has specifically stated that Suzanne’s body was not found and Barry has not been arrested. Accordingly, Tricia has reversed the decision to allow discussion of any of the three rumors, specifically that:

- Suzanne’s body was found
- there is a mistress involved
- that Barry was arrested

Do not discuss those rumors.

Do NOT sleuth BM and his businesses and post your findings or questions about his background or businesses on this public thread.

Unless he is named a POI/suspect by LE members may NOT sleuth him; members may ONLY speculate and discuss what has been contained in MSM.

The thread is open once again for members to discuss the case details within the regular WS parameters (i.e. as we believe them to be factual via MSM and LE).

Thank you.

This post falls at random:

Some gentle advice.....
If your post states:
“I remember reading that _____”
OR “Didn’t somebody say that ______”
OR “I don’t have a source but I saw somewhere that _____”
OR anything in that vein, you are posting a potential runaway rumor if it does not have a link to the info in MSM.

Runaway rumors are tough to stop, and often require a thread shutdown to clean up.
I know NO ONE ever intends that with what seems to be innocent questions, but once those words are printed here they can take on a life of their own.
Please consider carefully what you write. You can ask some of these questions in PMs that will remain off the board and not cause a proliferation of mistaken info taking over the thread.

THANKS from me - I really appreciate your efforts!

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

For those asking, I personally have yet to see any statement from LE regarding the bike other than "no comment". The nephew, TN, was the person who told the media (on Thursday) her bike had been found (on Sunday). He also stated that LE would not provide the condition of the bike, and wanted people to push LE to reveal more info about it.

Both good points.

To be fair to the husband, he did mention to TD that they "...had two daughters expected to be at home for dinner on that Mother's Day..." (paraphrased)
Quite an impressive feat as they were more than 14 hours away and were still on their camping trip when they called the neighbor later that day.

And although he didn't mention Suzanne by her name, he did say that mountain lions will drag their prey up into the hills. So maybe by 'prey' he meant Suzanne as in she'd possibly been attacked --according to BM ?

It's a strenuous feat to try to be impartial and stay on the fence about this case, whenever the husband speaks --from his 25 second video 'plea' to the impromptu video interview.
MOO
We were talking about him using their names. Which, he did not.

Thanks for re-posting this.
Yep, no bike except what someone told LE. The bike thing is hearsay: it could all have been made up.
Yet the reason LE were called in was because the daughters couldn't reach SM and the neighbor discovered her bike was missing. Why would the neighbor make that up? Is she a liar, too? Are the daughters also lying?

JMO

The YouTube guy is probably now considered a POI - at the least someone LE will have to clear in the disappearance of Suzanne.
Hmm.
Interesting speculation !
I never considered that at all.

Theory : That would only happen (Imo) if TD knew BM from before or had lived in IN close to the Morphews.
Wonder if there's any connection to TD or others with that name where they lived in IN or in CO ?
MOO

Why would LE do that? Why alert the real abductor/killer they are no longer looking at BM? I don't see any advantage in LE doing that.

JMO

BBM. Why would BM do that by stating as much on that video? If LE had truly told him he was cleared, but wanted to keep it quiet because they don't want to tip off the real perp, shouldn't he not go around telling strangers that information?

Question for our legal professionals. Does LE "clear" people who were never named a suspect to begin with? I may be way wrong, but I thought I learned here a long time ago that theu do not.

Last edited:
LE normally doesn't publicly comment on items found. They refused to identify the item found in the Faye Swetlik case until after her body was found and her killer identified.

The Sheriff has made it clear to media he isn't going to comment on items found.

When asked about the bike Friday, Sheriff Spezze said he would not comment on the items found.

Chaffee County Sheriff Updates Search For Suzanne Morphew, Encourages Tips From Public

If someone is missing along with their vehicle...we always hear if the vehicle turns up somewhere without them, same with boats etc. It's critical to the trail. I would think it depends on the item.

A YouTube content creator known as "Dad with a Phone" posted a video today where he discussed his communications with Tyson. He interviewed him yesterday (wonderful interview) and today, he reported that the poor guy has been so viciously attacked by people because of the extraordinary situation he lucked into and that he was kind enough to share with the rest of us. Remember, law enforcement can LIE to suspects and it's "okay," so why is Tyson's little white lie (to a possible murderer) being characterized as a horrible, disgusting act? It was done with the exact same intentions as law enforcement when they lie to suspects--to get to the truth. Apparently, a lot of other crime channels are bewildered and quite jealous that a "nobody" like Tyson lucked into this interview, so now they're focusing on a side issue--his minor lie--and they and the public are attacking him to the point that he's felt the need to disappear for a while. Very sad, but I'm not surprised. What motive would Tyson have to "fake" or stage an interview with a stranger like BM, who is a murder suspect, and risk getting himself arrested for helping a murder suspect, lying or misleading authorities, etc? People would rather go on the attack than take ten seconds to logically and rationally think this situation through.

The youtuber in question is neither law enforcement or a journalist.
Having the opinion that he had no business assuming the role of either, does not mean folks are not logically or rationally thinking this through.

jmo

A YouTube content creator known as "Dad with a Phone" posted a video today where he discussed his communications with Tyson. He interviewed him yesterday (wonderful interview) and today, he reported that the poor guy has been so viciously attacked by people because of the extraordinary situation he lucked into and that he was kind enough to share with the rest of us. Remember, law enforcement can LIE to suspects and it's "okay," so why is Tyson's little white lie (to a possible murderer) being characterized as a horrible, disgusting act? It was done with the exact same intentions as law enforcement when they lie to suspects--to get to the truth. Apparently, a lot of other crime channels are bewildered and quite jealous that a "nobody" like Tyson lucked into this interview, so now they're focusing on a side issue--his minor lie--and they and the public are attacking him to the point that he's felt the need to disappear for a while. Very sad, but I'm not surprised. What motive would Tyson have to "fake" or stage an interview with a stranger like BM, who is a murder suspect, and risk getting himself arrested for helping a murder suspect, lying or misleading authorities, etc? People would rather go on the attack than take ten seconds to logically and rationally think this situation through.
I agree with you. To me, it’s like a civilian wearing a wire. If BM is innocent, no harm done that I can see. IMO etc.

Eh, YouTube guy is not even a mall cop or a licensed PI. He maybe able to fashion himself as a reporter working for DWP. For me, it's as simple as he's not LE to the bolded question. But, that's just me.

However, I don't believe this guy and BM staged anything and absolutely believe it was a chance encounter and he was shocked that BM talked to him. I didn't care for that secret set up but don't think he's a bad guy at all. I'm not shocked that he caught a ton of flack for his video set up but he should not be threatened in any way, period. On the flip side, I'm not surprised people are angry because he literally/physically inserted himself into a active investigation with the missing person's family. I was not at all left with the impression he was sincere with helping BM put boots to the ground and search. That felt a little gross for me. IMO.

Well stated, thank you.

Question for our legal professionals. Does LE "clear" people who were never named a suspect to begin with? I may be way wrong, but I thought I learned that here a long time ago.
I'm not a legal professional though I have followed cases for (gulp) 25 yrs now.

LE rarely says anything and doesn't often name suspects. That came about as a result of the Richard Jewell case in 1996. Once in awhile LE might say something if an individual is being harassed and pointed at (thinking specifically of the boyfriend in the Mollie Tibbets case who was *not* a POI). But vast majority of time, LE goes about their business and doesn't publicly name any POI or suspect. That doesn't mean they don't have their list they're working through (of course they do), but they don't 'name' them publicly.

We were talking about him using their names. Which, he did not.
Oh, yes, I was agreeing with you.
Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Imo --- When listening to what BM was saying, he seemed to reference them obliquely.
Almost like he has another thought pattern circulating in his head even as he's speaking to TD (video guy).
It's as if he's orchestrating events.
MOO

In the YouTube video I'm wondering if BM mispoke about the 200 mile radius and he meant a 200 square mile area. An area with an 8 mile radius would yield 200 sq. miles. (Formula: Area of circle = 3.1416 x radius squared)
Even that, though -it still seems impossible to have done at this point. I can’t decide if the guy is clueless or a blow hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper