Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion of found items found has my brain veering in another direction.

Bear with me here.

LE has stated they have recovered a certain item, or items, belonging to SM.

They have not told anyone, including BM, what they have recovered.

Okay. Next:

Let's just say for the sake of argument that you're the perp, and that your motive for disappearing SM was largely a financial one.

That being the case, I think one of two things would be true in this case:
  1. SM wasn't wearing her wedding ring when she "went for a bike ride."
  2. The perp couldn't bring himself to dispose of that ring along with her body, because it obviously has significant monetary value.
So, what would you do if you knew that SM always wore her wedding ring?

I'm thinking you'd likely squirrel that ring in a spot where you could safely retrieve it down the road, figuratively speaking, i

Now imagine as the perp that you hear LE has recovered certain item(s) belonging to SM.
But they haven't disclosed what they've found.

Even though you know that the overwhelming odds are that they found the item(s) you intentionally and somewhat conspicuously planted for them to find, would you or would you not fight an almost irresistible urge to go reassure yourself that the ring was still hidden where you had placed it?

You see where I'm going with that?

JMO.
i was wondering how to put this delicately, for awhile now, was that rock gonna be found in some lion’s spot somewhere?

If BM did this, her body is somewhere on the way to Denver.
I wonder if during his travels to Denver BM turned off his cell or removed the cell battery. If not, it seems like LE would have a pretty good idea on his whereabouts. Or perhaps he could’ve stopped in remote places that don’t have cell coverage? There are so many rugged and remote locations in the Rockies, like a needle in a haystack.

ElleBee, thank you for post. I respectfully submit that I can make the leap from “in charge” to “controlling.”

Largely, I base it on the fact that the person said that Barry has been in charge “for a long time.” To me, that is a veiled way to assert that Barry controlled what happened throughout their many years of marriage. If a person is in charge for 25 years, I’d say that person is likely in control.

Was Barry about to lose that control in the marriage, (Did Suzanne want to go her own way, did Barry fear loss of reputation?) Did he exercise the ultimate act of power and control, perhaps in a momentary fit of rage?

As a lawyer and DV advocate, I try to stick to the facts. Perhaps I will regret having such an overwhelming “gut” feeling on this case. But I strongly suspect this was a case of domestic violence.

Oh, I’m completely open to the idea that he may indeed be controlling. Consider me firmly on the fence.

It’s hard not to see the world through our own personal lenses. I know spouses (male and female) who were controlled by their spouses. I tend to imagine as many possibilities as I can and cross them off the list as I learn new information.

I had a friend who was married to a career military man. He rose quite high in his career. She maintained her physique, decorated a lovely home, raised their four children, volunteered at school and in the community, entertained fellow service men and dignitaries in their home. People often referred to her a Stepford wife.

When she died suddenly (brain aneurysm), her four star general husband was lost. He had no idea how to pay household bills, do the basic home repairs, maintain the family’s household records (3 kids in college, scholarships, one kid in public school). She did everything, including researching which assignments would benefit the family, etc. Highly organized. Hubby even said, she was the man behind the curtain to his Wizard (Wizard of Oz reference). He will tell you she was 100% the boss. Everyone assumed that due to his professional leadership skills and advancement, he called the shots. He would tell you he would never make a decision without her input and counsel (his word).

While I recognize my friend’s husband ceded control to his trusted partner, it’s easy to assume that he was in control. Not sure where I’m going with this other than I’m perched vicariously on the fence. So I await more info about the Morphews’ relationship (which may or may not come) before forming an opinion. Other than Shane Carey, my gut has been wrong many times. Kudos to those of you who are really in tune.

Last edited:
Regarding IF the helmet was found. Please remove this post if the source is not okay to use. This video purports to show that BM visited a small local nearby gas station two days after his wife disappeared and just before closing time. He explained that his wife went missing and he was looking for her. The store owner gave him pen and a paper. He wrote "baby blue bike helmet, biking clothe"s. Not her name, age, description, bike description. It was very little unidentifiable information and somewhat bizzare. Anyone looking for a lost pet, let alone a person would be eager to give as much information as possible.

As mentioned before, this can be him being in shock. And just not thinking clearly, mumbling about. Just days after she went missing. No sleep, no food. You become lucid.

Option 2. If this is; ''controlling the narrative'' BM. Again it is not working. The distraught husband in shock, at the same time playing a game. Not knowing what kind of information to share. If he is playing that character, while knowing of her whereabouts because he committed a crime, he is doing an awful job.

Man, this case has me confused.

I finally figured out what it is that bothers me about BM’s comment that it was “too soon” to talk about Suzanne’s disappearance.

Based upon the initial information given, the most likely scenario would have been that Suzanne had a bicycle accident and might be injured and unable to get help.

If one thought their loved one was laying somewhere, helpless and injured, wouldn’t their top priority be getting the word out to ask for anyone who may have seen her that day to contact LE, to possibly help narrow down a search area?

“It’s too soon...”

No, it wasn’t too soon. It was too late.

@ogls :)Is this what you are referring to? Or another kind of burn?
"
Controlled burn - Wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Controlled_burn
A controlled or prescribed burn, also known as hazard reduction burning, backfire, swailing, or a burn-off, is a fire set intentionally for purposes of forest management, farming, prairie restoration or greenhouse gas abatement."
Maybe volunteer FFs use prescribed burns as training excercises? Like at link below to handbook?
http://www.ncprescribedfirecouncil.org/newsletter_stories/Summer2010/VFD_Iowa_rx_fire_materials.pdf
And perhaps use for purpose other than training exclusively? Interesting thought.
{{{ETA: At link, Chapter 6 of handbook describes best times of year for different purposes, various kinds of foliage, etc., how to plan a burn, w timetable/planning starting 12 months before the burn. Appears not a spontaneous event, if by the book.}}}

Yes, exactly that. I can't waiver on my thougths of fire and landscaping. Both mean "pulverize" to me.
@ogls :)Is this what you are referring to? Or another kind of burn?
"
Controlled burn - Wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Controlled_burn
A controlled or prescribed burn, also known as hazard reduction burning, backfire, swailing, or a burn-off, is a fire set intentionally for purposes of forest management, farming, prairie restoration or greenhouse gas abatement."
Maybe volunteer FFs use prescribed burns as training excercises? Like at link below to handbook?
http://www.ncprescribedfirecouncil.org/newsletter_stories/Summer2010/VFD_Iowa_rx_fire_materials.pdf
And perhaps use for purpose other than training exclusively? Interesting thought.
{{{ETA: At link, Chapter 6 of handbook describes best times of year for different purposes, various kinds of foliage, etc., how to plan a burn, w timetable/planning starting 12 months before the burn. Appears not a spontaneous event, if by the book.}}}

Exactly! I can't get out of my head: goes all the way to Denver. If I'm a criminal, I would 100% utilize that trail instead of going on a road. I would look like I belonged along the trail, as a camper, hiker, biker or worker and fit right in.

Edit: Sorry for my horrid posts. Eventually I will learn how to post. In the meantime, enjoy the laughs :D

The item seems to have been positively identified (as hers) very quickly, so I’m leaning towards it being her phone or keys.

It doesn’t sound like BM was asked to identify it, and if someone close to him was asked to provide that information, I think he would know.

Or possibly an ID, wallet or RoadID. As a cyclist, I wear mine every time I ride and know it’s common practice. MOO

There is no information that she had one, this is pure speculation. Here is the link to see what they are.
Purchasing a new ID for Your Online Profile

However, if one of these items were found no family member would be necessary to confirm ownership.

Last edited:
The discussion of found items found has my brain veering in another direction.

Bear with me here.

LE has stated they have recovered a certain item, or items, belonging to SM.

They have not told anyone, including BM, what they have recovered.

Okay. Next:

Let's just say for the sake of argument that you're the perp, and that your motive for disappearing SM was largely a financial one.

That being the case, I think one of two things would be true in this case:
  1. SM wasn't wearing her wedding ring when she "went for a bike ride."
  2. The perp couldn't bring himself to dispose of that ring along with her body, because it obviously has significant monetary value.
So, what would you do if you knew that SM always wore her wedding ring?

I'm thinking you'd likely squirrel that ring in a spot where you could safely retrieve it down the road, figuratively speaking, if not literally.

Now imagine as the perp that you hear LE has recovered certain item(s) belonging to SM.
But they haven't disclosed what they've found.

Even though you know that the overwhelming odds are that they found the item(s) you intentionally and somewhat conspicuously planted for them to find, would you or would you not fight an almost irresistible urge to go reassure yourself that the ring was still hidden where you had placed it?

You see where I'm going with that?

JMO.
And if the perp really wants to play this game he will gladly refer to the find (diamond ring) as an "article" because certainly, the perp knows that nobody would call that rock an "article."

JMO
This case is strange in a few different ways. The silence from LE we have seen in other cases but the silence from immediate family members and any friends seems unusual to me. And the way the nephew went silent as well is a little unusual.

I dont know what to make of all the silence other than I find it sad.

Just like some of us want to hope beyond hope that she can somehow be found safe or even found at all, you would think someone from the family or one of her friends would at least want to make an occasional statement to the media to get the case back in the top of the news headlines to help find her. Even if just locally for them.

Its so strange to me to not see that in this case. Hardly anything like that. We initially had the Nephew doing that but he went silent too. The husband did make a video about the reward but nothing more since then other than a secretly recorded interview which he did not expect to go public so we really cant count that extra interview as family wanting to get the word out again.

The silence is deafening from the immediate family and friends of SM. Its just sad. I can think of a couple reasons why there is silence now and the reasons are sad too.

Hoping LE is getting close to making a break in this case that they can announce soon.

The Sheriff said he didn't think a mountain lion attack was likely AFTER the extensive search when the bike was found. No poster on this forum has even speculated a mountain lion dragged SB's personal items "2000 feet from her house." Nobody has said LE spotted the mountain lion was within 2000 feet of the family home or that anything was found at any of her husband's work sites.

BBM. I do believe the search for around where SM's bicycle was found and was because that is where the LE spotted the mountain lion. If evidence was found, it could tie her disappearance to an attack by a mountain lion. Apparently nothing was found that would lead the sheriff to continue to believe her disappearance is related to an attck by a wild animal. LE's job is to follow leads and tips which is why they searched under the concrete. Apparently nothing of evidentiary value was found there, either. I think LE routinely search a home of a missing person. It is possible SM had communication with someone she didn't know was dangerous.

JMO
Alledgedly LE spotted one.
moo

I finally figured out what it is that bothers me about BM’s comment that it was “too soon” to talk about Suzanne’s disappearance.

Based upon the initial information given, the most likely scenario would have been that Suzanne had a bicycle accident and might be injured and unable to get help.

If one thought their loved one was laying somewhere, helpless and injured, wouldn’t their top priority be getting the word out to ask for anyone who may have seen her that day to contact LE, to possibly help narrow down a search area?

“It’s too soon...”

No, it wasn’t too soon. It was too late.
Such a good post!!!

JMO
This case is strange in a few different ways. The silence from LE we have seen in other cases but the silence from immediate family members and any friends seems unusual to me. And the way the nephew went silent as well is a little unusual.

I dont know what to make of all the silence other than I find it sad.

Just like some of us want to hope beyond hope that she can somehow be found safe or even found at all, you would think someone from the family or one of her friends would at least want to make an occasional statement to the media to get the case back in the top of the news headlines to help find her. Even if just locally for them.

It’s the deafening silence from family and friends that I find disturbing. From TN jumping in to help, to completely walking away. Even the fire chief has clamped up. No shows of support, no online chatter, no vigils (virtual or otherwise), no hanging up of posters, no public pleas.

Have those close to Suzanne been informed, or now suspect, the way that this might be headed? This doesn’t seem like a simple circling of the wagons in solidarity with BM.

ElleBee, thank you for post. I respectfully submit that I can make the leap from “in charge” to “controlling.”

Largely, I base it on the fact that the person said that Barry has been in charge “for a long time.” To me, that is a veiled way to assert that Barry controlled what happened throughout their many years of marriage. If a person is in charge for 25 years, I’d say that person is likely in control.

Was Barry about to lose that control in the marriage, (Did Suzanne want to go her own way, did Barry fear loss of reputation?) Did he exercise the ultimate act of power and control, perhaps in a momentary fit of rage?

As a lawyer and DV advocate, I try to stick to the facts. Perhaps I will regret having such an overwhelming “gut” feeling on this case. But I strongly suspect this was a case of domestic violence.
Divorce is so common these days I doubt it would tarnish BM's image if SM filed. So far, no indication from anyone that knew them that there was strain in their relationship. It is a giant leap to conclude BM controlled their marriage.

JMO

If it was the helmet that was found, that's suggestive, because as you say, it's not something that just "falls off" in a scuffle.

Most mountain lions don't know how to untie a strap, much less want to bother with one.
So there's that.

It's a bit of stretch to imagine an abductor taking the time to remove their victim's helmet before throwing her into the trunk of their vehicle, either.

So there's that, too.

I think depending on how close the item(s) found were to the location her bike was retrieved, some of the more likely possibilities are:
  • SM's bike helmet
  • SM's phone
  • One of her shoes
I don't think the perp will have left an article of her clothing due to the risk of touch/trace DNA.

JMO.
And if the whole thing was staged, one could imagine that the perp might be inclined to leave behind biking gear to tie it in with the idea of a bike ride gone bad ... and with the actual bike itself. Problem is, it's pretty hard to explain a helmet, shoe, water bottle, glove, etc. showing up separated from the bike some distance away (vs within a few feet from the bike). And most if not all of those items would not just fall off from an accident. if LE discovered this sort of thing, their hinkie meter would be off the charts, IMO.

JMO
The Denver location would be something that could cause an issue though if he would have called 911. He probably would have gotten Denver LE 911 and what they needed was a more local 911 response closer to her home.

I know what you mean though. He could have gotten the local LE number pretty easily by looking it up with Google and then calling.

I am not sure we know enough about who called who and in what order when the girls started to not be able to get ahold of their Mom.
BBM-- He could have called his fire chief friend also, who could have called local 911 JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum