Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BM had money for a $100k reward, but no money for property taxes on pretty much that same day? Hmmm....

We’ve been over this before. The property tax bill this year did not go to the Morphews. It went to the new owners of the property and they are the ones who are delinquent. Unless of course there is a covid-related extension of some sort, as a poster here suggested.

Good summary. That's why I would expect a few more water searches in the near future, and if no results, then in a couple of months. As the stream goes down in July/August, if there are still large bones around, it's a typical time for them to be exposed and be found.

Any thoughts on how long it would take a fully submerged body in snow melt water to experience enough decomp that dogs might alert? Ballpark guess?

I don't have a clear map of the area in my head, but I should pay more attention to the terrain.

It’s my understanding (IMO) that a well-trained (HRD) water search dog can indicate on remains in an open water search up to 90 feet below the water surface. Shore based searches I imagine would be less. The dogs really need to be able to get their noses close to the water surface. A friend’s dog is actually comfortable with her holding his tail as he really leans over the boat to smell. Some dogs will even lick the water before they indicate (taste & smell) – that can be a cue for a handler in tune with their dog. The other big challenge is dive teams being able to then locate the body, then safely recover it. A dog alert doesn’t always mean the body is just “right there”. Then who knows what they are dealing with underwater visibility and physical obstructions. Equipment is a big deal to scan underwater, with these folks trained to look for shapes. Example: a drowning victim is often face up, arms out below the water surface. A murder victim wrapped or weighed down will take on a different shape.

In many of these searches dogs are brought in for drowning victims and they have a decent general area of the PLS. IMO, these dogs can cover several acres during an open water search. The dog is just one part, the other part is the expert well versed on water movement, the area they are in, etc. So many variables. I would imagine it would be very difficult without any investigative facts or leads to do a blind search of a body of water for a victim.

Regarding the really cold water temps. I’ve heard that dogs can smell through porous (not sure if that’s the right word) ice and holes being drilled in the ice can help release any decomp gas odors. Think of an ice fisherman going under. The actual depth – I’m really not sure in these conditions? I would imagine in really cold water odor will remain at the bottom and not release until enough gas builds up in the body cavity? You could also have the challenge of odor being carried a decent distance from where the actual victim is.

In SM case, there seemed to be a decent amount of time spent on dive teams searching. Of course we would like to know why that focus? What information caused that search? Did a live find tracking or trailing dog lead them there? In this case so far, I don’t believe any information has been released on what dogs did or did not do. I never assume anything unless LE says it and they kind of tend not to anymore. In a court proceeding a dog handler might be called to speak to their dogs capabilities. It’s one of the reasons why, IMO, they don’t like LE to give out dog team search information to the media. I think NG made a comment of dogs tracking in this case being "inconclusive" on her podcast – but I would not trust her information here at all. That can mean anything or nothing. IMO

I'm wondering if BM might have decided to move back to Indiana hence the guardianship in that state. I believe his family and Suzannes is still there as well as a support group in the church and the girls friends.

I find it interesting that the date of last contact is listed as May 10th. This information is supposed to be verified by LE, prior to it being approved for NAMUS.

I would imagine LE does not know this information as fact yet. If confirmed, the profile information can be updated by them. IMO, it's kind of a living file on NAMUS. I don't find it odd May 10th was used. IMO

You ,as buyer, could sue the seller under the purchase contract and the issue would be whether, under the terms of the contract or under applicable law, the fact that one of the selling parties has gone missing is an excuse for nonperformance. But here, of course (if indeed the house sale is the reason for the filing), BM wants the sale to go through. The buyer presumably doesn't want to sue. I think BM's attorneys may be pushing the envelope with the emergency guardianship law in an effort to complete the sale.

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Cadaver dogs have been discussed. I know they're trained to smell cadaverine and putrescine which is why they can sniff out really old remains but how accurate are they for a freshly deceased body?

I would think if a person was killed in a crime of passion, under normal circumstances (family members coming and going, close neighbours, deceased had a job where they'd be missing, etc) the killer would make all kinds of mistakes in their haste to remove a body. Like removing a carpet or a missing shower curtain, bleach being used liberally in the home, cushions and bedding gone, a strange scene to suggest a home invasion. But does the time spent frantically trying to cover a murder, even if it's only hours, mean that cadaver dogs can detect the smell of a dead body?

But what if the killer didn't have any of those circumstances: no family members coming or going, no close neighbours, deceased didn't have a job to be missing from. In a crime of passion, they'd still have a means to dispose of a body without rushing and to create a narrative that on the surface would pass the smell test. But would it pass the smell test of cadaver dogs.

If it was a planned murder they could finesse the details ahead of time. Removing a body within minutes of the event. A body could be placed in the back of a truck and covered with three yards of soil and dumped somewhere. If more soil was delivered to a subsequent job site, would the residual scent of a dead body be picked up by cadaver dogs?

Is it possible that Barry went to Denver but with a big detour before he arrived? A detour that involved getting rid of a body. We don't even know what time he left Maysville. We only have his word about that strange conversation between him and Suzanne on Mother's Day about him going to Denver on Mother's Day. He really only has to prove that he was in Denver. If the client was at home they could verify his attendance, even if he said he was only scoping the site to advise the workers. Just a quick pop in, pop out. Alibi set.

If SM is still located somewhere in the general area, I agree the bike is a red herring, placed to create a scenario to suggest a tragic accident. If spring run off was high he may have created a scene of an accident where SM got hit, flew over the barrier into the ravine and tumbled into the creek/river and got carried downstream. If LE didn't seem to consider that a viable event then maybe the mountain lion became scenario #2. When that didn't seem to sway LE then came the idea she was abducted. Why else would he offer a 200K reward, no questions asked?

I hope LE isn't hoping for him to break because I don't see it.

I really wonder if Suzanne will ever be found. Poor woman. Poor girls.

The law is very clear. To change this requires adding a provision specifically for missing persons where the tests for determining the alleged incapacitated person do not apply. Otherwise, the petitioner must wait 7 years (i.e., petition to declare missing person dead). That's the way the law has always been.

BM can't expect to force the court to give him a remedy that already exists with a POA. If they had no POA, there's probably a damn good reason for it! MOO

I'm honestly puzzled here. People, not just you, keep saying he must have had a power of attorney for his wife and see something nefarious in its absence. We've never had anything like that in our marriage, nor have any of our relatives at any point. Mr. Carbuff and his siblings did have POA for his aunt and then later for his mother when they were ill and unable to manage their finances, but don't spouses already have that right for each other?

Why are we assuming BM needs cash? Wasn’t it determined that there is no mortgage on his CO house?

My thinking is that he has very little income. He had a few businesses in Indiana, now he does odd jobs with dirt in CO. They could have financed the house through a private contract and not a mortgage. There are lots of reasons why he needs cash.

I can think of some problems he has, right now, that might need quite a pile of cash to resolve in a way that he finds tolerable.

What if her family doesn't know? As far as I know, SM only has one parent living, her father, and he's 87. MOO

My worry is that even if they are served and do know, her father is too elderly to respond, perhaps trusts Barry, and Barry knows that. The daughters may similarly simply think it's some minor thing their dad has to do in order to deal with the house in Indiana, or they may be scared. Perhaps they want their father to have more funds, anticipating his legal defense. Perhaps they believe he is innocent and they're upset with the police.

I hope the daughters have some adults in their lives that can give them gentle advice in this situation, but frankly, I think most kids that age would probably fall in line behind Dad. Unless they had some reason to doubt his motives.

I'm honestly puzzled here. People, not just you, keep saying he must have had a power of attorney for his wife and see something nefarious in its absence. We've never had anything like that in our marriage, nor have any of our relatives at any point. Mr. Carbuff and his siblings did have POA for his aunt and then later for his mother when they were ill and unable to manage their finances, but don't spouses already have that right for each other?
if you and your spouse have everything in both of your names, financial accounts, etc. you can freely take and deposit at will. but, if something happens to your spouse and they are disabled, dementia, etc. a POA would allow you to handle financial, auto, real property, etc (whatever specific powers it has) - a medical POA or health care surrogate would handle health related things including HIPPA if well drafted. so in a happy marriage, unless there is a reason to think you may need to act on behalf of your spouse, you may not need them. When our lawyers prepare estate plans they almost always include the POA - just in case. If you and your spouse own a property as husband and wife, both of you need to sign the deed to convey title to your buyer. but if you have a POA you could sign for your spouse. if your spouse is around and incapacitated, you may need to do a guardianship to sell that same property which is expensive. A POA is a cheap insurance document IMO.
does that help?
I'm not a lawyer of course but I do have my own POA because I trust the person I am giving all my authority to.
IMO

I've thought of a couple scenario's of why BM
is doing this. 2 possibilities on the old house in Indiana.
1. They buyers of Indiana house are procuring their own financing/mortgage on the house and want to pay off BM/SM and close out the land contract they used when house was sold to new buyers. I can understand them wanting to do this considering the suspicions of BM being culpable for SM's disappearance.
Things could get very messy if they wait for this to play out.
2. Buyers of Indiana house maybe aren't able to keep up payments on home to be paid to BM/SM- due to Covid many are out of work.
If this is the case, maybe they want to back out of purchasing the house. Maybe BM needs
to file foreclosure on Indiana house to get it back if payments have stopped being made.
More likely it's #1.

I find it interesting that the date of last contact is listed as May 10th. This information is supposed to be verified by LE, prior to it being approved for NAMUS.

Also says she "went missing on 05/10/2020 while on a bicycle ride on County Road 225 and West Highway 50, located in unincorporated Chaffee County."

So the date could be a typo. Interesting that they pinpoint the location.

OK in another bizarre twist related to finances..
BM has now been added to the G** page as a "Team Member" possibly allowing him to withdraw directly.
Does this guy need to control everything? He obviously has no use for optics. He just doesn’t care how things look. Nobody can tell him what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janeyd