Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DM article did report that the last known contact with her was on the 9th.
Assuming this is accurate, whoever disappeared her had from whatever time on 9th to 5:46pm the next day, essentially when the 911 call was placed.
So, all day the 9th [possibly], all night, then nearly all day on the 10th.
Yep, plenty of time to do whatever was done. :(

Here's the link to that DM article where May 9 is referenced:
Husband of Suzanne Morphew is having a 'difficult time' as diggers continue construction site search | Daily Mail Online
SABBM:
Suzanne, 49, has not been heard from since May 9. A bike owned by the mother-of-two was recovered from a bridge close to her home on May 10, according to local sources – the same day she was reported missing.

A few points of interest:
  • The article doesn't say who "heard from" SM on May 9th.
  • The article doesn't state what type of contact was made with SM, i.e., in person, phone, text, etc.
  • The article doesn't cite their source for the info that she was last heard from on May 9th.
If someone "heard from" SM on May 9th via text vs. speaking with her directly, then I'm not sure we can safely assume that SM was alive and well on May 9th.

JMO.

Last edited:
The DM article did report that the last known contact with her was on the 9th.
Assuming this is accurate, whoever disappeared her had from whatever time on 9th to 5:46pm the next day, essentially when the 911 call was placed.
So, all day the 9th [possibly], all night, then nearly all day on the 10th.
Yep, plenty of time to do whatever was done. :(
Ita.
Due to DM's history of "facts"... I take it with the proverbial grain. :rolleyes:

But of more interest to me was that LE wanted people to save footage from the 8th !
I have to assume (my opinion here) that LE have spoken with and maybe looked at the daughter's cell phones.
What LE discovered -- or not -- might be relevant.
What if no one saw or spoke to her since then ?

Texting can be faked and I'm also curious if someone(s) received a text that seemed "off" ?? :(
MOO

Was just having a look at where I think avid mountain biker Francis was inferring he saw the suspicious car. I'd been thinking it was up on the main road, but I can see the 225 sign here, so yeah, if he saw a car parked here near the bridge on the same day SM went missing, h'mm, I reckon that'd be suspicious .... not so much on the main road, but down here and parked, h'mm, could be something to it.
I also went to Google Earth today and I share your view. It is an area that any car would be noticed, and the info kinda stored for later. I am trying to teach myself to remember. It isn’t possible to accuse someone, simply for parking, but if there were things reported before or after, you would make a conclusion...I did see an interesting picture showing bikers repairing this wonderful split trunk tree, alandmark on one of the bike trails, this biker might have noted the car as the damage to that tree was deliberate.I tend to try to notice things.

Last edited:
Ita.
Due to DM's history of "facts"... I take it with the proverbial grain. :rolleyes:

But of more interest to me was that LE wanted people to save footage from the 8th !
I have to assume (my opinion here) that LE have spoken with and maybe looked at the daughter's cell phones.
What LE discovered -- or not -- might be relevant.
What if no one saw or spoke to her since then ?

Texting can be faked and I'm also curious if someone(s) received a text that seemed "off" ?? :(
MOO
I respectfully believe that her abduction was scoped out ahead of time...if I were a criminal I would have done this long before the actual abduction, but I might go back to make sure it was as I remembered or possibly do a little prep, maybe the same vehicle was spotted on camera, driver not disguised. Does anyone know whether those cameras were later found to have any evidence?

There should not have to be a legal requirement. Also an absence of requirements by no means justifies a lack of transparency and accountability for how taxpayers money and confidence is being maintained. Nor does a lack of legislated requirement invalidate the public frustration when no transparency is offered.

So - you think LE should say all that it's found, even if only one person is charged and only some facts are pertinent to the trial?

I definitely think we've gone too far in the direction of "no transparency," but the shenanigans of high-priced defense attorneys is a big factor in this. Plus, it's just good legal/investigative technique. Eventually, we saw why LE in Gannon's case were so quiet, but we finally got a glimpse of the enormous amount of work behind the scenes.

LE doesn't want to tip off the suspect (or their attorneys) until they are sure it's going to trial (and that's how the actual legal system is designed - what LE can look for is determined by a judge; what they say about what they found is controlled by a judge, more or less).

LE only gives the public updates, at this stage in the case, as needed to aid in finding Justice. If there are many leads and components to a case, surely you wouldn't want LE to mention every single witness or lead to the public? I think LE wants to protect local community participants as well - in Gannon's case the neighbor was comfortable enough with talking to media, but LE wouldn't advise it (it can be dangerous - there are crazies out there and people make death threats and harass people for the strangest of reasons).

LE has to protect the community that it's asking for help. I wouldn't go speak to LE if I thought they were going to blab whatever I said about someone I suspected to the press.

Would you? I truly have experienced some stalking and harassment (it involved my deposition in a court case to which I was not a party - it was very scary, we had to change our kids' schools, etc - not doing that again). It was fine until the defense attorney got the deposition...I was not prepared for the defendant's crazy behavior at all. I did get a little warning and some tips from LE about what to do, but still.

But the “family member “ is never identified and I haven’t found one single reference from a credible identified family member that “they” are not to talk - having said that it is my opinion that perhaps LE has said best not to comment while the criminal investigation is ongoing @riolove77 is that what you may advise LE to tell family members ?
JMO

bbm
Ita.

The possible perp had a lot of time on his hands, because of Covid and the weekend/holiday.

Salida Colorado History - Chaffee County Colorado 125th Anniversary Timeline

I believe I had originally mentioned this and feel strongly that known mine shafts should be checked by at least cadaver dogs... jmo

BLM seeks help identifying mine shafts | Free Content | chaffeecountytimes.com

A Mineral Bonanza - Collegiate Peaks Byway

Mining In Chaffee County, Colorado | The Diggings™

I'd read about the area that Barbara Thomas 'disappeared' in also featured abandoned mine shafts.
Also Erin Corwin was almost never discovered until the intrepid searcher (sorry , forgot his name) found her on the last day.
If harm has fallen Suzanne --- you can't tell me that a possible perp hasn't read about other cases, and thinks he/she is way smarter than LE .... :rolleyes:
MOO

That briefly came up last evening.
I think it might be standard protocol for LE to put out there what has been reported to them surrounding the details of her disappearance, until or unless they discover evidence that tells them those details are not correct.
They did this in Gannon Stauch's case, in a sense, and I've followed a few cases over the years where LE does stuff like this too.
Lots of cases here start out the same way - the story can change quickly as new facts come in.
In the event the evidence does come in that proves those details are not correct, I'm guessing they would update the report at that time.

jmo

That's true, but on the other hand it does reflect what their best information is at this point in time, and seems to indicate that they don't have any strong evidence that the initial report wasn't correct.

Not sure where we are disagreeing. I made no statement nor demand of how transparent law enforcement should be and when. Also, taxpayers will always be entitled to more transparency accountability than the government they fund, not the other way around. That is the very essence of democracy.

One more thing,

When did this turn into a murder investigation? Last I heard she is not even assumed dead, let alone murdered. Not sure how the rules of homicide investigations even addresses my point let alone refute it.

Can you at least state where the rules are coming from? A Missing Persons investigation is always about all the different ways a person can go missing. Murder is one of them. So "Missing Persons" is about finding the person, following all leads, and trying to figure out what happened to the MP.

So the "rules of homicide investigation" (I've truly never read or heard that phrase before) do apply here, along with the "rules of missing persons investigation" and whatever rules of evidence LE and DA consult upon. Again, judges are involved too (with listening to why LE needs warrants, whether the warrants are sealed, etc).

Your point seems to be that you should have more information (one month out) than you do. Yet, the Judge didn't agree and sealed the search warrant. That's part of the rules in most jurisdictions. Searches are already a tricky, invasive thing - and no citizen should have what is found in their house broadcast publicly until and unless a criminal proceeding arises against them, and then if and only if the Judge permits it to be part of the public record.

Naturally, actual humans (not LE) can say whatever they want. And often do. That's exactly what we have *not* seen in this case. Usually, at least someone from the family says what the person was wearing or tearfully talks about whether they are usually cheerful, that kind of thing. You can't keep them from doing it. And BM did speak - but didn't give us any information.

Other family members are silent or have fallen silent. Even the Fire Chief and Good Friend are quiet now. They could speak - they were speaking, now they are not.

But LE can just go grab evidence from a house and then have a press conference - that's not how it works.

UMM I don't know. I think they were told to keep their mouths shut. They seem to be obedient to this.
BM has been silent since day 1 other than his 26 second video he posted on FB where he offered a reward. I have never heard of a missing person case where the spouse of the missing person was told by LE to refrain from pleading publicly for any information that would help locate their missing loved one.

Use some discretion here folks. Stop sleuthing innocent property owners who have probably already experienced more publicity than anyone would want through no fault of their own. They are innocent parties in this case and digging into their affairs and posting it online is JUST PLAIN WRONG.

How do we help LE do their job when every time we try somehow to
help, it somehow gets taken as criticism?.

LE is not shy; if there's something specific they are looking for from the community, they ask. In this case they asked for people to preserve any video/cam footage between May 8 - 12, and they asked for tips & info be called into the tip line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member