Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Money is always a strong motive, but I don't see
the connection. The Morphews appeared to be well off, and I haven't heard about any life insurance policy that Barry hopes to collect.

If, however, you mean that Barry was afraid that he'd lose money in a divorce, that's possible. However, we've seen no evidence that Suzanne was wanting to divorce Barry. Rumors have floated around but nothing solid.

We can't sleuth Barry beyond his statements on social media, so life insurance information is not something we can discuss openly.

So it is my opinion only (but a strong one) that there are several financial strands to this case.

Do you know much about Suzanne's charity and the amount of funds said to be in that account?

It might be a fruitful discussion to pretend for the moment BM is innocent, and ask these 2 questions about possible scenarios:

1. What would the behavior of LE be?
2. What would the behavior of BM be?

Scenario: Accident or animal attack.
Scenario: Random abduction.
Scenario: Planned. Jealousy, revenge, someone close to BM, SM or both.
Scenario: Accident or animal attack.
The likelihood of not finding one iota of physical evidence would make this scenario implausible to me. LE was on site within hours...had it been weeks, I'd consider this possibility.

Scenario: Random abduction. Possible, but largely depending on the bike damage for me. Meaning I'd love to know if there are paint chips/evidence of a vehicle hit or if it couldn't have moved/ridden there because of a "wheel lock device" likely installed by Suzanne. If it was a random abduction wouldn't Barry offer his reward for ANY INFORMATION leading to her recovery...be willing to pay for tips/leads etc. Instead it is worded as an exclusive offer conditional only for her "safe" return, no question asked.

If LE absolutely knows the bike was staged it would almost have to be Barry, why would anyone else (a stranger) who abducted Suzanne bother to stage a diversion.
ETA...and to boot there is absolutely no coordination or solicitation for help with searches/ or updates of what has been searched (supposedly privately) on the family "find" me page. As a matter a fact, it's turned into a denigrate Barry page.

Scenario: Planned. Jealousy, revenge, someone close to BM, SM or both.

I think this is the scenario that we are working...Moo

Last edited:
Not one person has stepped forward to say that they saw BLM at the construction site, ever. One neighbor that was briefly interviewed on May 22nd said he heard "them" making construction noises on Sunday May 10th. That interview has since been scrubbed from the internet.
I can't answer questions about SM's activities. Do we actually know that she cooked dinners and baked cakes? Many women don't IMO

Isn't it a safe assumption that the homeowner mentioned that he was actually there at some point? No one expects any of these people to go public, but surely it's a strong assumption that the homeowner(s) mentioned it?

Or do you think BM told LE he was there? Everything I've read in MSM (and there's an interview somewhere with one of the homeowners) seems to say that yes, some people saw him there. You say the interview is scrubbed, so I guess we can't cite it, but MSM has reported that at least one of the homeowners contacted LE.

I personally would be very surprised if Suzanne was going to grocery stores, one year out from completing some kind of cancer therapy. We have no way of knowing.

What I do believe is that BM's own truck and his phone will be pivotal in how this investigation goes from here. I am pessimistic about Suzanne ever being found.

My question is, how hard is it to show concern for a loved one?

Even after all excuses made, it’s really not that hard. JMO
IMO he did, and none of us know how he grieves when he is alone, respectfully, he has not been named even a POI, much less a suspect. We have no basis to compare him w/ PF or CW, I prefer to compare him w/ AS. Al’s love for Gannon is my comparison. W/ o Landen, how would he have handled a video. Do we even know what AS sounds like?
My point isn’t to bash AS, simply this; we have no prior knowledge, video wise to base our speculations, do we? Those who know him best may see him as an extremely distressed man.
I am not going to defend my perceptions today, I am looking for the real Bad Guy. So forgive me if I am grumpy, I have reviewed Charley Project pages and pages of the saddest stories. I have only found one current person that matches Suzanne. She is too close to be ignored, but there ARE more similar old cold cases never solved. True the majority of today’s cases are younger, and risk factors much different.
The one I found, Holly Alcott White, I have set aside.
Truthfully, though, I expect this is a slight acquaintance of the Ms, just not her husband.
I’ll concede when they charge him, not before...respectfully, JMVHO

The two young people who knew them best and lived with them, likely hold the key.

The problem is that her daughters may not be willing to furnish that key to LE.
If they do know something damning, they're almost certainly feeling torn and conflicted by a divided sense of loyalty.

If I were LE, I'd be seeking out SM's best friend, who has been her best friend for decades.

A lot of women don't disclose details re: marital issues to their children, b/c they want to maintain healthy boundaries in the parent-child relationship.

I think a lot of women would feel more comfortable talking about marital issues with a close friend vs. a daughter.

SM's best friend has been around since at least as far back as their high school days.

She likely holds a treasure trove of information about the history and status of that marital relationship, at least from SM's perspective.

JMO.

Last edited:
Yes. You apparently missed quite a bit.

First off, the FBI and CBI didn’t treat this as an abduction case. We have seen both agencies quite a bit in recent high profile cases, and they are quite competent (just ask Chris Watts or Patrick Frazee).

Obviously they don’t think this was an abduction, a suicide, or an accident. They also don’t think this was one of the lions from “The Ghost and the Darkness.”

Basically, all I see in defense of this guy are excuses. All the weird behavior does not matter, the behavior of law enforcement does not matter, and something that does not happen with any regularity must have happened.

Yeah, maybe the FBI, CBI, and local law enforcement were fooled, and someone abducted a low risk victim, from a low risk area, and left no trace.

Maybe the husband behaved like a guilty man, and this task force excavated a property for no reason.

But maybe a spade is a spade.

Actually I haven't missed any of it. I have a second home not far from there, have engaged with the daughters in the past, and have followed this case from the beginning.

I'm not feeling guilt or exoneration and neither is the community. They don't seem to know what to feel.

My guess is that LE found an item on the first night of the search which (per Dad with a phone transcript) they would not share with BM what they found. Very unusual for LE to not cooperate with family on first evening of search. This suggests they have incriminating evidence against him. I am also trying to figure out why he is so annoyed that LE mishandled the bike. And then he tries to embellish and sell his cat theory to Dad with a phone and his abduction theory. He as a big game hunter knows that the cat theory with zero evidence is complete nonsense).
bbm
Excellent post. ^^^

Within hours LE did not treat this as a missing nor abducted case.
What did they find ?

BM might be cunning, but he's not too bright to suggest LE aren't competent (i.e. "mishandling the bike" -- that no one saw her riding on Mother's day); and a mountain lion "story" that even the least outdoors type would know is false because animals do not disappear anyone without a scent or trace.

The SAR dogs were 'inconclusive' meaning they did not find a clear trail of Suzanne leaving the home or of an animal attack which would leave possible blood and most of all the big cat's scent.
And, per the interview with TD; if BM thinks she may have ridden off the road down a ravine and washed away into the creek--- why did he push the abduction theory in his infomercial and why didn't he tell LE Sun. evening ?

At the very least he could have brought LE to the exact spot and pointed out where he thought she washed away.
He didn't do this.
Why ?

After his "It's too early" excuse, he puts up a 27 second video saying he'll pay a large sum to have her back and that the girls miss her.
As if she may have left of her own volition.

But mentions the kidnapper and that he (BM) will do 'anything it takes'.
Whew.
Exhausting to try to categorize all of his stories.
MOO.

Did LE find her bike helmet at home ?
How convenient of the mountain lion to remove it and put it back. ;)
Same with an abductor.
Nonsense.
MOO

If it was her purse LE found, that would be reasonable as Suzanne wouldn't take that on a bike ride.
Were there any receipts in it showing she'd shopped or ate out on Fri. or Sat ?
That wouldn't mean she was the one to shop/dine out, though.
What if LE pulled the security footage from receipt evidence, and it only showed BM at the store ?
That would get their hinky meters going; I'd think !

It was discussed that sometimes Suzanne might have taken a ride in the a.m. before church
I'm guessing there might not have been services scheduled due to the Covid.

But anyway -- how long was it that someone tried to contact her ?
I'm assuming her daughters called/texted, but would like to hear any messages left on her phone from hubby.

IF she went on a ride-- wouldn't her husband worry if she was gone all day and sound the alarm before that ?
Why wait until 5 pm or later to have the neighbor call 911 ?
I also want to know what was said in the 911 call.
Some clues there; imo.
So many questions.

IMO, I’m having a hard time believing that no one loves, cares or or is insanely concerned about SM right now, with the exception of strangers on the internet.

I believe she was murdered by someone known to her. I’m not putting all my eggs in one basket of a guilty husband just yet. I might eat crow one day with that last statement and that’s okay.
Levity, I am going to research crow pies, just in case, but shall I reserve a piece for you? We at least can rest and know that LE has the pressure of being right... not an easy place to be...known to her, just not BM IMHO

I personally would be very surprised if Suzanne was going to grocery stores, one year out from completing some kind of cancer therapy. We have no way of knowing.

You’re only as safe as your circle. The girls had been around other people all week and were going to immediately be in contact with their Mom. BM had been out working, presumably around others, and went to Denver on a work related trip, according to him. BM had no problem approaching a stranger near his home and having a chat, with both men unmasked. It’s true we have no way of knowing, I’m not catching a concerned vibe around SM regarding her physical condition. I haven’t been to a grocery store since the first week of March.

You’re only as safe as your circle. The girls had been around other people all week and were going to immediately be in contact with their Mom. BM had been out working, presumably around others, and went to Denver on a work related trip, according to him. BM had no problem approaching a stranger near his home and having a chat, with both men unmasked. It’s true we have no way of knowing, I’m not catching a concerned vibe around SM regarding her physical condition. I haven’t been to a grocery store since the first week of March.
bbm
Agreed. ^^^

About her fight against cancer (twice, apparently !) ... I think Suzanne is a strong person and a fighter.
I also realize that I'm basing my opinion on a FB post of the husbands' ; whose word is doubtful at best !

Forgive me if I am not convinced that BM is truthful in anything he's saying.
If LE state this, her own family, or msm it would be more believable.
MOO.

Levity, I am going to research crow pies, just in case, but shall I reserve a piece for you? We at least can rest and know that LE has the pressure of being right... not an easy place to be...known to her, just not BM IMHO

It's not about eating crow or being right or wrong.
We all decipher evidence, or the lack thereof, differently. We also base our opinions on behavior we see, either by LE or those we feel may be responsible for a crime, and that's fine.
I appreciate others' perspectives but mostly when they posit alternative storylines which can then be pondered, questioned and discussed. That's what leads to constructive conversation and reasoning.

IMO

If SM wasn’t planning to do any cooking or baking was she planning on take-out for MD dinner? I mean, if you’re having dinner with the kids, you have to serve something, right? Wouldn’t BM be aware of her plans or did he make her disappear before she could make any plans? After all, we don’t know that she actually disappeared on the date that’s been fed to us via BM. Sunday in Denver doesn’t amount to much of an alibi if she went missing Friday night. MOO
That’s a great point! Perhaps the girls were planning to stop somewhere to grab takeout, and called SM to go over the details, one call would not have caused alarm, but their concern mounted as they got closer. My kids are programmed not to get alarmed quickly, if dad was flying, he was incommunicado, and, I cut the cord 12 yrs ago. Some moms love to cook on Mother’s Day, I don’t...Covid made things less of the norm IMO we just DON’T know...sigh

The problem is that her daughters may not be willing to furnish that key to LE.
If they do know something damning, they're almost certainly feeling torn and conflicted by a divided sense of loyalty.

If I were LE, I'd be seeking out SM's best friend, who has been her best friend for decades.

A lot of women don't disclose details re: marital issues to their children, b/c they want to maintain healthy boundaries in the parent-child relationship.

I think a lot of women would feel more comfortable talking about marital issues with a close friend vs. a daughter.

SM's best friend has been around since at least as far back as their high school days.

She likely holds a treasure trove of information about both the history and current status of that marital relationship, at least from SM's perspective.

JMO.
I agree, I don't share detailed info about our marriage with our kids. But we're an open book with no real marital issues, after 30 years it's pretty much sorted out :)

But I feel if there were issues in the Morphew marriage, simply by observation the girls would know what they were.

Speaking to your point about their willingness to share. Lori Vallow's family denied her involvement in the murder of her children up until the kids bodies were found.
So what you surmise about their willingness to share is true and understandable. Who would want to believe that of their loved one? But I do feel as time goes on feelings on the subject may change, you never know who is talking to them.

It's not about eating crow or being right or wrong.
We all decipher evidence, or the lack thereof, differently. We also base our opinions on behavior we see, either by LE or those we feel may be responsible for a crime, and that's fine.
I appreciate others' perspectives but mostly when they posit alternative storylines which can then be pondered, questioned and discussed. That's what leads to constructive conversation and reasoning.

IMO
I was actually responding to the other members post, sorry you misunderstood.

Actually I haven't missed any of it. I have a second home not far from there, have engaged with the daughters in the past, and have followed this case from the beginning.

I'm not feeling guilt or exoneration and neither is the community. They don't seem to know what to feel.

It’s definitely not something you want to jump to conclusions about, especially if the conclusion is that the husband did it. We haven’t seen any of the evidence, only the behavior of LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member