Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as it gets, no copy available to the public

CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

Bet LE have the email to church members and know who, what time, and from where it was sent. Bet the message to the church is not entirely the same as to what was told LE and what was found in investigation.

Curious so hope it leaks (or is sold to Daily Mail for publication).

The value of jewelry is a fraction of it's true worth when sold through pawn shops. Pawn shops generally have a very good idea of jewelry that was recently stolen during a crime and don't want anything to do with it. IMO, LE absolutely has talked to many pawn shops. In addition, local pawn shops probably have a decent relationship with LE.
Oh, and many, so many security cameras.;)

MOO
Is there a tracking system for high valued individual gemstones?

If there is not, seems it would be a good idea for tracking gems that are stolen or otherwise waylaid. Not suggesting all gems but say diamonds over a specific size as an example.

Thank you both! I only mention it because BM’s plea just fell flat for me and to compare it to a parent’s love for their child seemed “off.” BM came across completely void of true emotion or devotion toward SM. As another member posted up thread, it was like, “Oh Suzanne,” why did you make me do it? Only time will tell if he did, but it doesn’t look good from where I sit. Suzanne deserves justice. She would never have left her girls willingly.

I appreciate, that many who do not have children and have wonderful devoted spouses, feel deep and abiding love. But, bone of your bone and flesh of your flesh is another world altogether. I for the life of me, cannot EVER understand when a “parent” takes away the life they gave birth to. It is incomprehensible. Or, in TS’s situation to end the life of the child of someone she claimed to love. How utterly inhuman. :(

I’m so sorry for your loss SusiQ. You are a super-hero.

Is there a tracking system for high valued individual gemstones?

If there is not, seems it would be a good idea for tracking gems that are stolen or otherwise waylaid. Not suggesting all gems but say diamonds over a specific size as an example.
The diamond solitaire in my engagement ring has a serial number in it. It is not a huge ring. 1.01 carats. It's also included in our homeowner's insurance information. My understanding is that gemstones that are graded by some diamond institute that is considered the standard in the industry are given a serial number if they pass muster in whatever way.

I would think Suzanne's ring was also documented in the same way. I would guess her ring would be at least 3 carats, and depending on the quality of the diamonds, could be very pricey, especially if was set in platinum vs white gold.

I also highly doubt that ring is on Suzanne's finger now.

MOO

Well quit beating yourself up, those were excellent observations/comments. Seriously, who could have sent it that quickly other than Barry, the girls or Trevor (the nephew)? My guess is Barry dictated that message to someone to send to the church crowd and they threw in their 2 cents consoling Barry. They didn't know who they were sending it to, they were just trying to be helpful.

Which explains why 'Crimeonline" who did apparently see the email didn't reveal the name of who sent it...it wouldn't have made any sense to the public.

‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

BBM

It would fit with his MO, getting someone else to do his bidding while controlling the message.
Examples:
- Call 911
- Set up G F M
- Disseminate the bike ride/last seen in this helmet message
- Go to WS and call me Barry to humanise me ;)

Yes, they brought in Colorado State Prison Team Search Dogs......trained primarily to follow and find living persons. IMO

Thank you for explaining how they were able to get a K9 unit there quickly! I'm not sure of the size of the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office: I had counted 16 officers on their Facebook page header photo but -- of course -- wasn't sure whether there were any officers that weren't pictured. I also noted that there was no K9 unit shown, so I kept wondering how they got one to search so speedily.

Well quit beating yourself up, those were excellent observations/comments. Seriously, who could have sent it that quickly other than Barry, the girls or Trevor (the nephew)? My guess is Barry dictated that message to someone to send to the church crowd and they threw in their 2 cents consoling Barry. They didn't know who they were sending it to, they were just trying to be helpful.

Which explains why 'Crimeonline" who did apparently see the email didn't reveal the name of who sent it...it wouldn't have made any sense to the public.

I always thought it was BMs mother who sent it. She was a member of that church. After hearing BMs "script" perhaps she sent off an e-mail to have the congregation pray for Suzanne. IMO

Last edited:
Facts that I believe to be true but LE has not verified.

1) There was a bike found at the bottom the ravine
2) BM is a POI
3) LE has no verified evidence that SM communicated with anyone on Mother’s Day
4) BM was is Denver at some point on Mother’s Day

MOO

Would it be standard to immediately bring in K9 because (as far as we know) it was a missing person and it would be getting dark soon?

IMO, I believe initially they were treating this as a missing person who left for a bike ride and didn’t return. Had she not returned because of a bike accident, medical ER or a crime was committed while she was away from her home on that bike ride? They wanted their best shot to find her fast. K9’s were available and IMO a asset that is considered immediately by LE.

(Many dog teams like to work at night for a missing person. 1. the missing person, if lost, as an example, will usually find a spot to settle in for the night. They are not moving. This is good. 2. working at night usually keeps the media away.)

IMO, at the start of this investigation I don’t believe police apprehension K9’s were used to track a fleeing suspect.

I believe they were used (damn nice they were available so quickly, which is the point of them) because of their hasty search abilities. They are usually (IMO) used to track & apprehend a fleeing bad guy who is emitting all kinds of good fear chemicals that makes these dogs super excited to catch up to them & gladly hold them until the handler catches up & gives direction. lol They are however capable of finding a missing child (as an example) and staying with the child (gently) until the handler arrives if they were cast out to search away from the handler. IMO

Regarding SM wedding rings. I seriously doubt if this was foul play by someone known or close to her, that the rings will be used for financial gain or quick cash & show up at some pawn shop. No way. In the grand scheme of things the value here, if money motivated, is insanely small. If this was a robbery, sure. I don’t think that’s the case here, a robbery. IMO

Now, if SM, as an example, took her rings off at night but ALWAYS wore them when leaving the house & they were found in the home. Well that might be an interesting clue that perhaps whatever event happened was at home & she was not ready for the day.

I always wear my wedding rings unless I’m out hiking, training my dogs or working out - then I put on a silicone and leave my wedding rings at home. If she was active maybe she did the same. Who knows. IMO

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
My apologies, I had posted earlier using AS, for comparison, and knew that AS wasn’t valid using Letecia, so I used Gannon.
Yes, I do know the difference between love for a spouse and a child, I sent my husband to war, 2 sons, and a daughter into war zones. Your comments were quite accurate, but they will never quite express it accurately, until you experience it, as you said. Or you stand with your son at a funeral for his friend who died there.
I apologize if I touched a raw nerve. I was not debating the degree of pain, I was trying to make the point that different people handle differently.
IMO we have compared BM to LS, a better comparison would be to consider that BM shares more characteristics with AS, MVHO.
@Feistyomi Thank you for the sacrifices your family has made for our country.

Well, one of the people involved in the story, whose work history was examined and worksite dug up (BM) still has Indiana license plates, assets in Indiana and filed legal proceedings in Indiana.

It is also possible that he traveled to Indiana to make those legal arrangements. If local LE wants someone in Indiana to be paying discrete attention to the court proceedings and BM's involvement in them, the FBI would be just the agency. Good practice for the younger agents.
The truck is BLM's work vehicle. My guess would be that the owner of record is one of his companies, which may still be an Indiana corporation. I'm not seeing how Indiana license plates vs Colorado tags relates to his missing wife. IMO

BLM showed TD where the bike was found. BLM was facing north toward TD. He rotated all of the way around to where his chest was facing south toward the "Y" in CR225 and while looking back over his left shoulder at TD, stretched his right arm pointing west, said "That way, to the right." I think TD said "Oh, to the right, then?" and BLM motioned with his outstretched hand toward the south and said: "To the right, and then up the hill."
TD walked away from BLM toward the north. The bridge over S. Arkansas River can be seen approaching. The next video starts with TD in the trees, on the north side of the S. Arkansas River, showing us an aspen sapling with a pink ribbon around it and telling us the bike came crashing through the trees from above (Highway 50). This spot is just yards from the entrance to the RV Park.
BLM pointed SOUTH and to the right. TD went NORTH and to the right. I certainly hope TD was not working on his Pathfinder Merit Badge. JMO

The RV park has trails connecting to the Ms? It is yards from the spot bike found? I am not bothering w leaning or tossed, that could easily have been SAR looking for injured SM. IMO we are looking for an RV w capability of pulling second vehicle.
Second vehicle used to abduct, driven to another area, secluded. SM manages to toss her personal item(s) or deliberate by kidnapper. He makes his way to RV, drives it to secluded spot, transfers SM to RV. Dumps the car w traces of SM, drives away in RV.
Secluded area is short distance from RV, suspicious.
I’m gonna fit my ponderings to your map pins, and continue. I don’t think the missing local yokel has the sophistication to pull this off. IMO this took some experience. knocked out Nebraska and Kansas. One eerily similar, one interesting.
Searchers found abandoned vehicle early on, stolen, nothing from BG, plenty from SM. This changed direction of investigation.
My speculation based on the few clues we have.

Regarding SM wedding rings. I seriously doubt if this was foul play by someone known or close to her, that the rings will be used for financial gain or quick cash & show up at some pawn shop. No way. In the grand scheme of things the value here, if money motivated, is insanely small. If this was a robbery, sure. I don’t think that’s the case here, a robbery. IMO

Now, if SM, as an example, took her rings off at night but ALWAYS wore them when leaving the house & they were found in the home. Well that might be an interesting clue that perhaps whatever event happened was at home & she was not ready for the day.

I always wear my wedding rings unless I’m out hiking, training my dogs or working out - then I put on a silicon band and leave my wedding rings at home. If she was active maybe she did the same. Who knows. IMO

Exactly. I don't think Suzanne was snatched for her wedding ring. But it sure would be interesting to know her habits wearing it.

I always wear my wedding rings unless I’m out hiking, training my dogs or working out - then I put on a silicon band and leave my wedding rings at home. If she was active maybe she did the same. Who knows. IMO

I'm still trying to get a grasp on the concept of getting biking gloves on over a rock of that size. I don't wear any jewelry, and in winter I wear knitted gloves, so I'm really out of my element here. Is it painful? IMO

Absolutely agree with your comments...why in the world would SM's nephew TN state in the very beginning of his Aunt's disappearance that people should ask the sheriff to release information about the condition of SM's bicycle when it was found?? Was TN also part of the diabolical "bicycle plot" with BM to mislead investigators as to what really happened to SM? IMO, there was a bicycle found that belonged to SM. The bicycle had substantial damage...otherwise, why make a plea to the public to ask the sheriff about its condition?? There have been numerous incidences of females riding their bicycles that have been purposely hit by a vehicle for the purpose of disabling them for eventual rape and/or murder. Dana Ireland on the Big Island is one such case.

I doubt TN saw the bike. IMO, he was just repeating what he was told. TN seemed genuinely distraught in his interviews.

MOO the condition of the bike is helpful for the investigation, but not relevant to finding SM if she was missing before Mother’s Day.

I'm still trying to get a grasp on the concept of getting biking gloves on over a rock of that size. I don't wear any jewelry, and in winter I wear knitted gloves, so I'm really out of my element here. Is it painful? IMO

For me, I don’t wear my bands for a few reasons. My fingers swell sometimes when I’m doing a physical activity. That’s painful & annoying with a ring on. I also don’t want to damage/scratch my bands, especially hiking and climbing rock formations. Then just worrying in general of them coming off and losing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot