Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any guesses?
If I had to guess, I could think of 2 possibilities off the top of my head. We know that something brought LE to the site to start the dig. They must have had some type of probable cause to believe that some kind of evidence was buried there. Presumably they used a ground penetrating radar or X-ray to scan the concrete slab. They also probably used cadaver dogs to go over the site. They saw something at the precise spot where they cut the concrete and began to sift the dirt or the dogs hit on this spot. My two guesses:
The scan revealed something that they thought was the piece of evidence they were looking for 1) what they dug up was not what they thought it would be and it was not anything that was connected to SM’s disappearance, or 2) they retrieved the evidence they needed.
On the first guess it may have been a suspicious indentation or disturbance to the ground beneath the slab. Upon digging they found it was a naturally occurring pocket.
For my second guess I think that they did recover what they were looking for, but it was not a body or body parts. It may have been a SIM card from a phone, a bullet, a knife; something small, but incriminating.
They did not pull up this whole slab to search beneath it. Likewise, they did not broaden the search when they didn’t find anything at the first cut out. I believe it was @Dave F. who said above that they did search several areas around this location, but to my knowledge they did not dig and sift anywhere else but this one spot.
What are your thoughts/guesses?

Well, the Forms 990 show that apparently no charities were funded by the Foundation. A small amount of money went in, but no money came out of it.

Your second question is very interesting: Suzanne's the registered agent, but she's not one of the incorporators (see Articles of Incorporation, attached). The two incorporators are Kathryn Cook (an attorney from Frankfort, IN) and Barry.
The 990 is the form the 501(3)c needs to annually file with the federal government. It is a very basic form. Really doesn't give much information.
A much more detailed state form needs to annually filed that separates the gross income from the gross expenses. Much more information in that...

The value of jewelry is a fraction of it's true worth when sold through pawn shops. Pawn shops generally have a very good idea of jewelry that was recently stolen during a crime and don't want anything to do with it. IMO, LE absolutely has talked to many pawn shops. In addition, local pawn shops probably have a decent relationship with LE.
Oh, and many, so many security cameras.;)

Seems very unlikely.

Gosh. Very sad to know that. I had no idea.

I'm so sorry you went thru that SusiQ. :(

Thank you both! I only mention it because BM’s plea just fell flat for me and to compare it to a parent’s love for their child seemed “off.” BM came across completely void of true emotion or devotion toward SM. As another member posted up thread, it was like, “Oh Suzanne,” why did you make me do it? Only time will tell if he did, but it doesn’t look good from where I sit. Suzanne deserves justice. She would never have left her girls willingly.

I appreciate, that many who do not have children and have wonderful devoted spouses, feel deep and abiding love. But, bone of your bone and flesh of your flesh is another world altogether. I for the life of me, cannot EVER understand when a “parent” takes away the life they gave birth to. It is incomprehensible. Or, in TS’s situation to end the life of the child of someone she claimed to love. How utterly inhuman. :(

TIGER0822 said:
I have been hearing about this email. Is there a copy of it somewhere?

I was aware someone had contacted their Indiana Church with those stories, but I didn't know it was BM and I certainly didn't know it was the day after she was reported missing.

If true, that speaks volumes.

MMO
Clarification. Crime online reporter cited the date but agreed not to identify the sender of email. (Reporter allowed to read the email but did not have a copy). There might be more information in one of Tricia's podcasts.

Well, the Indiana Secretary of State's Office shows that the Suzanne R. Morphew Hope Foundation, Inc., was incorporated in 2012. The earliest Form 990 I could find was from 2015. That year's Schedule A, Part II shows that the Foundation had NO contributions during 2012, 2013, or 2014. Here's the data for the other years available:
2015...$4,680 in contributions...$4,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2016...$1,000 in contributions...$5,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2017...$1,000 in contributions...$6,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)
2018...$0 in contributions...$$6,680 in assets at year end (cash, savings, investments)

In other words, I can't see that the Foundation has distributed any of its money yet, and it appears that its assets total less than $7,000. It's always possible that the Foundation had a huge influx of money during 2019 and/or January to May 2020, but that would be an anomaly. I just do not think that -- if there was indeed a financial motive -- that it related to the Foundation.

That's very interesting. Early reports said the Foundation was worth way more than that. Thank you very much for finding these records.

Did anyone ever figure out the trail on the various property deeds for the Puma Path property? I'm now thinking this family was not asset-rich and very curious how they managed to buy a $1.5M property coming from Astoria, IN.

Why would Indiana have been involved? I'm aware they are from there.

Well, one of the people involved in the story, whose work history was examined and worksite dug up (BM) still has Indiana license plates, assets in Indiana and filed legal proceedings in Indiana.

It is also possible that he traveled to Indiana to make those legal arrangements. If local LE wants someone in Indiana to be paying discrete attention to the court proceedings and BM's involvement in them, the FBI would be just the agency. Good practice for the younger agents.

Respectfully, I just cannot compare BM’s “love” for SM with AS’s undying love for his son. Maybe that’s just me. I lost a beloved adult son to cancer (can’t imagine what AS and LH are going through) and as much as this may sound cold to some, while losing my husband would be very hard, I just don’t think it would compare. My mother has lots of German sayings, one of which is, “A husband falls from your side, a child from your heart.” There is NO love greater than the love of a parent for their child. JMHO

So sorry to hear about the death of your child. We just don’t realize what some of the members have gone through. With some it is a child with others it is a spouse. Sending warm thoughts to all that have been through such sadness.

It would be weird for BLM to be posting about his incredible wife-and her thanking him-if they were no longer living together. Yes, some former couples do get along but it doesn’t feel like that was it.
So BLM needs a Colorado driver’s license to become a volunteer firefighter, but I guess he never changed the license plates on his truck? Was that his truck? Somebody else’s truck?

One particular objection (that keeps popping up here) to the idea that SM could have been abducted it's that she doesn't fit many people's idea of an abduction victim. It may not be in the same numbers as young women or children, but older women absolutely do get abducted, robbed, raped and/or murdered; it depends on the person committing the act and their intention. There are people who commit crimes of opportunity and convenience rather than having a specific predilection. There are people who just want to hurt someone and it doesn't matter who. Their victims can be anyone at that perfect moment. Not all females kidnapped are taken for sexual purpose or monetary extortion. There are people who “take” someone and force them to withdraw money for example. I'm not saying these are theories for SM, just saying that there are many reasons why a 49-year-old woman would get taken. Choose your word: taken, kidnapped, abducted, spirited away... don't get hung up on the literalness.

There are people who commit crimes they think they can get away with and a slim woman alone on or with her bike might have been an opportunity. Flag her down, ask for directions or what's a good trail around here, any places for rent... Someone sees her coming up her drive on her bike, assumes she's a resident of the area and uses that. If she stops, she's nice and she's likely to be vulnerable. I can think of a few scenarios how this could happen ranging from stranger, stalker, revenge, jealousy, abduction after accidentally hitting her on the road or trail to no abduction the husband did it (although the last one doesn't get my vote so far).

Leonard Lake/Charles Ng didn't care about the age or sex of their victims; they didn't even care how many at a time, they took an entire family – it was all about opportunity.

There are other reasons for taking someone other than to keep as a sex slave or for ransom. To that thought however, SM was really pretty, in great shape physically and in her bike gear including helmet and presumably sunglasses, she likely wouldn't appear anywhere near her age.

Hopefully, I misunderstood the comment, but I don't see anyone here making excuses for BM's actions or inactions. We all have our own life experiences, thoughts, behaviors and yes, feelings and they're just as valid as anyone else's. Different points of view shouldn't be denigrated as “excuses”. Jeeeeez, sounds like stern parent “and don't give me any excuses!” lol.

btw: our views on why he said or didn't say something the way people "think" he should doesn't mean guilt or innocence or that we even think that. I get it, taken with other information, it doesn't look good, but holy moly I'd be the the one you all are certain is guilty because I wouldn't fall apart or make public statements or tear my hair out rolling around on the sidewalk for the local news. The End.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I just cannot compare BM’s “love” for SM with AS’s undying love for his son. Maybe that’s just me. I lost a beloved adult son to cancer (can’t imagine what AS and LH are going through) and as much as this may sound cold to some, while losing my husband would be very hard, I just don’t think it would compare. My mother has lots of German sayings, one of which is, “A husband falls from your side, a child from your heart.” There is NO love greater than the love of a parent for their child. JMHO

Speechless here, and just as well, I couldn't begin to comprehend much less address/or add to what a parent goes through. So eloquently stated SusiQ.

So sorry to hear about the death of your child. We just don’t realize what some of the members have gone through. With some it is a child with others it is a spouse. Sending warm thoughts to all that have been through such sadness.
Thank you too! There are a number of members here who have lost loved ones to sickness, accident and the worst, violence. I can’t even imagine the suffering of those that have had to endure the pain of losing a child or family member to that or not knowing what happened. I personally only know one family that lost a child to violence and it took years off his mother’s life. No one was ever charged. It was so sad. And, as sad as it would be for SM’s girls to know what happened, it would be even worse not to know.

2018 Colorado Revised Statutes
Title 16 - Criminal Proceedings
Code of Criminal Procedure
-IANAL-
2018 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 16 - Criminal Proceedings :: Code of Criminal Procedure

Got it. That does not mean that any missing person’s report creates a criminal investigation. That’s untrue. Which is why LE qualified whether the investigation was criminal or not.

Law enforcement looks for missing people. It’s only when foul play is considered that it becomes a criminal investigation. There’s a distinction, as LE knows.

The 990 is the form the 501(3)c needs to annually file with the federal government. It is a very basic form. Really doesn't give much information.
A much more detailed state form needs to annually filed that separates the gross income from the gross expenses. Much more information in that...

1. The 990 gives annual income (contribution) figures along with net asset figures. It's detailed enough to note that the Foundation had under $7000 in total assets.

2. Which state form are you referring to? The Indiana Secretary of State Business Entity Report or Indiana Department of Revenue Form NP-20?

Well, the stated purpose of the Foundation was to help children worldwide by "building housing and possibly campground facilities for children, and to plant orchards and other trees or plants to provide food for orphanages and other facilities globally." See the attached Articles of Incorporation.
Respectfully, you are citing a 2012 corporation organized and filed pursuant to the laws of Indiana that no longer exists. The current foundation is registered in the state of Colorado. * The purpose may also be different than written 8 years ago or 2012.

ETA: *

Last edited:
Respectfully, you are citing a 2012 corporation organized and filed pursuant to the laws of Indiana that no longer exists. The current foundation is registered in the state of Colorado.

Quite true. If you read my earlier posts, the purpose of the research was to determine if the Foundation had meaningful assets that would create a motive for somebody to harm Suzanne Morphew.

I attempted to find the Foundation's entry at the Colorado Secretary of State's website but was unable to locate the same. If you're able to find it, please upload it!

@DetectiveFoyleWannabe said:
No search warrant is necessary for the search at the building site if the owner of that property consented.

And yet IMO there is no way LE would conduct such a search without a warrant. They’re tearing up someone’s property. At any time the property owner could withdraw consent. You think they’re going to bring all that equipment and personnel out there and risk everything being halted in a case like this?

And what if it was determined the property owner was involved? Do they want to risk him saying it was coerced?

No. IMO in a criminal case like this, they’re crossing their I’s and dotting their T’s. No way would policy allow a search that extensive without a warrant, IMO. Consent or no consent.

Agreeing that these are not amateurs running this investigation, and adding post by our criminal defense insider.

@riolove77 said:
I guarantee you they had a SW for the dig. Searches like that based on just consent are super risky. The homeowner has the control and power to completely call it off mid-search and say he's done consenting. Then what? They'd have to stop, go get a SW, etc. and even if that was okay, you then face a defense attorney fighting in court to say evidence item x or y was actually pulled from the home after the consent was withdrawn and therefore should be tossed, etc. A warrant is the safest way to go.

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13