Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I’ve been around a long time following true crime back in the forums for justice days - I can’t recall when we’ve had so much silence from the missing persons friends and family - contrast this with the vibrant women many on WS have come to know - Jennifer the writer, Kelsey the pilot, Barb the adventurer,Cheryl, Sandy, and so many others - Suzanne ? Maybe she rode bikes ? We have a picture of her with a helmet - and many pictures of fabulous Family vacations and some troublesome ones IMO but what else do we know? Not much IMO and I find that very sad
JMO
I’ve never seen anything like it either. It’s like she didn’t exist except in some dated photos. Does anyone care? Is everyone being threatened if they talk? Not throwing out some wild theory but it makes no sense.

I think if we knew more about their relationship we could possibly understand more.
So, with that being said, were they high school sweethearts? I think they were.
With that being said, these two basically grew up together, were probably dependent on each other in many ways.
Afaik there is no history of violence or cheating.
So, she's missing. He and his friends have looked far and wide for her, according to him. I believe him.
I think it's important to know the last time she was seen or spoke with someone.

It's no longer alleged.

I'd been thinking that, too, until Poedelini posted the Press Release from Sheriff Spezze dated May 13 where he states:

"Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

He declared this after investigating it since May 10.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Until now, most of us have been questioning whether she did or didn't and we didn't have to waste the thought, time and space, lol. I imagine it will still be up for debate for those who believe that the Sheriff lied on that day in his Press Release... I dunno. :D.

It's also possible that he believes "she went on a bike ride and didn't come home" on a day before she was reported missing on the 10th.
Man, I can pick apart statements like nobody's business.
"ON A REPORT of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

I’ve never seen anything like it either. It’s like she didn’t exist except in some dated photos. Does anyone care? Is everyone being threatened if they talk? Not throwing out some wild theory but it makes no sense.
Is it possible that Barry or his attorney have strongly encouraged people to not talk about it?

The similarities for me is that everyone on the Brussard thread piled on the boyfriend even after LE had shifted the focus of their investigation. Nobody on the thread knew the focus of the investigation and the unproven accusations were rampant. That may be exactly where we are in this thread so why would I want to contribute to that. I've learned that there is nothing to be gained by making unproven accusations even if I have suspicions.

I think most of us just have suspicions. Most aren’t 100% accusing him. For me, I leaned heavily toward the boyfriend in the Broussard case as well but also couldn’t commit 100%. But it certainly was a wild card.

In this case, IMO there is no indication that LE has moved from the husband. Of course we don’t know what they’re up to.

Although from what we know of the investigation LE is looking one way.
But what if we don't know everything (we don't).
What if the silence is being smart? What if there is something else going going on?
An example but absolutely no accusations.
What if SM had been embroiled in an affair? And tried to break it off? Just thinking about possibilities.

Thanks for posting this @susiQ Three things struck me as I watched this video again: 1) The police tape seems to be put up in a weird zigzag manner. 2) I wonder if BM took that flat bed trailer and little digging machine when he went to Denver to prep the job. (Notice I don’t know technical terms for certain construction/landscaping equipment?) 3) What a big, creepy, isolated place to spend a night in alone.
I know what you mean! It kinda gave me the “creepies” thinking about her all alone in that huge house, so isolated. And yes, the yellow tape all around the flatbed and bobcat was a sobering sight.

Is it possible that Barry or his attorney have strongly encouraged people to not talk about it?
@rainbowshummingbird Like others have said here - if encouraging ppl not to talk about it is BM's or atty's strategy, quite unusual, not one I've seen w a person who wants spouse back home. At least on the surface, in conjunction w BM's own $ 100,000 offer for her safe return, seems counterintuitive. just my 2 cts.

Could be. But why?
I don’t know, maybe the idea is far fetched. It’s just so weird that not one acquaintance, friend, yoga pal, bike riding buddy, fellow church attendee, nobody has anything to say. Well, there was that one time mayoral candidate who relayed the story about Barry’s aggression at the job site.

Or it could be sadness and decorum that prevent people from talking.

This was still in the midst of the lockdown, so I doubt any flower deliveries were happening. In our area, many florists were expressing concern that their businesses wouldn't be able to survive the virus and shutdown. (I live in NV.)

It's so sad that SM was all alone on Mother's Day. MOO
Sadly, IMO SM never saw MD 2020.

Oh, I'm not implying the cases are the same. They are not. Let me explain what I meant.

After the boyfriend gave that disastrous TV interview, everyone was calling for his head. Why, why, why wasn't he arrested, we asked? He's obviously guilty, we said.

Well, NOW we know that LE had much more information that led in another direction. Very soon and away from the boyfriend. BUT ...the public didn't know any of that. LE could have announced before the friend's arrest that the boyfriend was already cleared. But they didn't.

That's why my perspective (from the outside looking in) was changed by Broussard. (R.I.P)
I was on of the few that believed that disastrous interview. I could relate as I realize that I'm awful under stress. My brain turns to mush which then dribbles out of my mouth. Physically and in my head I'm good. I function, but don't look at me or talk to me. Lol moo of course.

It's no longer alleged.

I'd been thinking that, too, until Poedelini posted the Press Release from Sheriff Spezze dated May 13 where he states:

"Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

He declared this after investigating it since May 10.

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Until now, most of us have been questioning whether she did or didn't and we didn't have to waste the thought, time and space, lol. I imagine it will still be up for debate for those who believe that the Sheriff lied on that day in his Press Release... I dunno. :D.

It's also possible that he believes "she went on a bike ride and didn't come home" on a day before she was reported missing on the 10th.
Man, I can pick apart statements like nobody's business.

@FelicityLemon I have to disagree with you on this one. You took the one sentence out of context. The whole section of this PR states as follows:
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days (this section is now bringing you up to 5/13) over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.
End of press clipping

I have written more police reports than I care to remember. If you are dispatched on a call, you always write your report based on what is initially reported. In this case the call was for a missing woman. It would probably start out: On Sunday, May 10, 2020, at 5:46 p.m., I was dispatched to_____________ on report of a missing woman. The next sentence of the actual police report probably reads something like: Upon arrival I was met by xxxxxxx who reported that her neighbor appeared to be missing. Upon investigation we learned that her neighbor SM, reportedly, went on a bicycle ride and did not return. (This is taken from the actual original press release)
This initial report would go to explain steps taken by the responding officer to verify the report.
On May 13, the Sheriff’s PR is bringing you up to date. The first section is a recap of the original call and how it was reported. It tells you that a search was begun immediately. The next section goes on to tell you what LE has been doing since then.
MOO

Thanks for posting this @susiQ Three things struck me as I watched this video again: 1) The police tape seems to be put up in a weird zigzag manner. 2) I wonder if BM took that flat bed trailer and little digging machine when he went to Denver to prep the job. (Notice I don’t know technical terms for certain construction/landscaping equipment?) 3) What a big, creepy, isolated place to spend a night in alone.

About the tape being zig zaggy - is it police tape or was it taped in that manner for caution because of the condition of the walkway/driveway/ being worked on. Is it possible that it was put up by LE, but only to warn the many investigators, etc. to be careful of their steps?

Please don't be confused by the derivations of the word investigation.

The investigation began with the 911 call to Chaffee County Sheriff on May 10 at 5:46 pm. LE reportedly traveled to Maysville to take a missing person report from a neighbor that SM allegedly went on a bike ride and did not return.

LE pulled numerous resources and spent at least 3 days searching for missing SM. Take note that LE allegedly located the bike on Sunday, the same evening of the missing person report.

Until LE had reason to believe otherwise, they were going to search as reported by the neighbor.

This is not to say LE was blind to the evidence and clues found in their search efforts -- i.e., allegedly locating the missing bike within hours but not the rider.

It remains very clear to me that LE does not believe there was an alleged bike ride on Sunday, and I agree.

MOO
@Seattle1 , I should have read further before I posted, since we basically wrote the same thing. I guess great minds think alike. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot