Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yellow tape thoughts. :D

It looks that it's possible that the equipment is being used to tether the end of the tape, not to contain for inclusion. There is no wall close by, so it's not as if there's a natural barrier that could be assumed to be an extension of any containment usually marked by tape – it's a clear end or stopping point.

IOW: If the tape is LE as part of a crime scene

1) Would it be usual to leave an open end like that with the rest of the area being open and accessible?

2) Also, why carve out that weird triangle shape and not just run the tape either up and around or down – wrap the lamp post – and up to the scooper. If it's LE, then that looks like it's a deliberate exclusion and that would be odd.

The words of Sheriff John Spezze that I heard, starting at 6:15 of the video and ending at 6:29, were:
(the question is......) "If we're still looking if any animal can be involved. On any open investigation, obviously you don't rule out anything. We've not found anything that could indicate that, however, we're always evaluating. We believe that anything that you have (unintelligible), we're going to follow up on."

It's good to listen to Sheriff Spezze again. He asks that if anyone was in the area on May 10th to call LE. Also of note is when he says the Chaffee Co Sheriff Facebook page published several photos of Suzanne and as of the day of the presser, it had reached over half a million readers nationwide.

Exactly. I firmly believe that that an animal attack was one of the top 3 theories that LE considered initially. Over the course of several days of tracking and searching, that theory became less probable. But even 5 days later, and after 2000 man hours of searching, Spezzee still says at the PC that they are evaluating all options. The email to church members, mentioning an animal attack as a possibility, was sent in the first day(s) of the search, well before it was most likely ruled out.
I also don’t think BM was floating the idea of an attack to TD at all. That’s never been the way I heard it. BM has a strange way of constructing his sentences and trailing off, but he was getting TD (as a potentially volunteer searcher) up-to-speed on what areas HAVE been searched so far. IE. we search up this way....in case it had been a cat. We searched down here and in the river...in case she was injured and disoriented. We searched this way....in the case of an abduction. To me, if you commit listening to BM through the lens of being innocent, I think he firmly believes it was an abduction. Not an animal attack or injury, because that’s been covered. He says his area of concern is thataway... between where the bike was found and SM’s items were found.

I've listened to the video very carefully several times, and counted BLM's steps as TD's stealth camera caught them. I added the location that BLM says the bike was found and the location that he stopped to say HIS searchers believed the abduction happened. Frankly, listening to BLM describe it leaves me nothing but impressed with the tracking abilities of GD and his ragged band of firefighter buddies. It's my own opinion, which I have a right to have. IMO
The map is entirely generated in Google Earth. I've also added a yellow line which marks the perimeter of the GD and buddies intensive search area, described by BLM to TD.

Attachments

• Possible Abduction Site - Tyson Draper Interview.jpg
    Possible Abduction Site - Tyson Draper Interview.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 78
PoI? Breaking Concrete without Search Warrant?
@DizzyB sbm If BM told LE about Denver trip which LE determined was a lie, imo LE's head would turn closer to BM as a PoI, but that lie alone would not be sufficient for LE to start breaking concrete.
But imo, that lie, plus other info re BM & property (hypothetical to us still but actual info to LE, e.g., witness stmt about BM's presence at a certain time at dirt-delivery/compacting site before concrete-pour), plus homeowner's consent for LE to bring GrPenRadar/equivalent may have been sufficient for LE to conduct non-invasive tests on concrete slab, w'out warrant.

But before invasive/destructive actions-- digging, sawing, cutting concrete foundation there -- doubtful (to some/most of our verified legal profesionals here) that LE proceeded without a having obtained a judge's signature on search warrant.

Azz-uming the GrPenRadar test results revealed a disturbance/disruption in or under the concrete, that fact, plus the other above info could form basis for judge to sign search warrant and for LE to proceed w invasive/destructive digging, cutting concrete, etc.

Welcoming comment, clarification, correction, esp from our legal professionals. just my 2 cts.

If a SW exists for the job site it would be on file at the Chaffee County Courthouse...even if sealed. The existence of a sealed SW would be easily verified by media or anyone else.

Consent searches are 100% lawful and often used in investigations especially when they involve non-suspects...even if the search is destructive...IMO

If a SW exists for the job site it would be on file at the Chaffee County Courthouse...even if sealed. The existence of a sealed SW would be easily verified by media or anyone else.

Consent searches are 100% lawful and often used in investigations especially when they involve non-suspects...even if the search is destructive...IMO
Do we know if they went home at night and continued the search in the morning? That might be an indication that it was a consent search and not a SW.

@Seattle1 - So the shop will deliver flowers for Mother's Day to Maysville by United States Postal Service? Did you happen to inquire when the cut-off date for guaranteed delivery on Mother's Day might have been?

I don't know where you got the idea from my post that the United States Postal Service was making floral deliveries to Maysville?

FedEx and UPS are separate and also not the same entity as the USPS.

During COVID-19 pandemic, there are no guaranteed deliveries. My local florist adopted a Flex Delivery policy that's not so different than what local, Salida florist posted for their floral business.

FLEX DELIVERY NOTICE

Due to the current health crisis which has caused disruptions in staffing and supply chain, orders may be flexed with other possible delivery dates. These FlexibleDelivery dates for your order are indicated during your checkout process as well as on your Invoice for reference. Your floral gift may be delivered on one of the possible delivery dates indicated on the Delivery Date selection during your Checkout Process. ...

Avas Flowers Terms of Service | Avas Flowers

Last edited:
Do we know if they went home at night and continued the search in the morning? That might be an indication that it was a consent search and not a SW.

IMO

Either way it's common for LE to stop at some point and go home, with a couple officers guarding the property until the next day's shift comes to continue. We know LE got a SW for the BM/SM property and that SW was sealed (though I'm not remembering the date of the SW).

IMO

Either way it's common for LE to stop at some point and go home, with a couple officers guarding the property until the next day's shift comes to continue. We know LE got a SW for the BM/SM property and that SW was sealed (though I'm not remembering the date of the SW).

Ok..I thought they had to be engaged in an ongoing and continuous search with a SW.

The best evidence is whether or not the SW was filed with the Court after the execution of the SW, even if it was sealed. If there was a SW it would at the Chaffee County Courthouse right now.

You mean the area in which you believe she was grabbed. We have no conformation that anyone abducted her thus far, right?
Did I leave out IMO? I am sorry
You mean the area in which you believe she was grabbed. We have no conformation that anyone abducted her thus far, right?
You are correct, I was following up on my other post, I think I WAS clear there that it was speculation, I apologize, I can’t edit to correct at this point.

PoI? Breaking Concrete without Search Warrant?
@DizzyB sbm If BM told LE about Denver trip which LE determined was a lie, imo LE's head would turn closer to BM as a PoI, but that lie alone would not be sufficient for LE to start breaking concrete.
But imo, that lie, plus other info re BM & property (hypothetical to us still but actual info to LE, e.g., witness stmt about BM's presence at a certain time at dirt-delivery/compacting site before concrete-pour), plus homeowner's consent for LE to bring GrPenRadar/equivalent may have been sufficient for LE to conduct non-invasive tests on concrete slab, w'out warrant.

But before invasive/destructive actions-- digging, sawing, cutting concrete foundation there -- doubtful (to some/most of our verified legal profesionals here) that LE proceeded without a having obtained a judge's signature on search warrant.

Azz-uming the GrPenRadar test results revealed a disturbance/disruption in or under the concrete, that fact, plus the other above info could form basis for judge to sign search warrant and for LE to proceed w invasive/destructive digging, cutting concrete, etc.

Welcoming comment, clarification, correction, esp from our legal professionals. just my 2 cts.

Not a lawyer, but I’ll take a stab at it. Each case is different, but you are pretty spot on in your deductions. To plug this case into the hypothetical you describe, it may go something like this: (For the purpose of this narrative, we will call the fictitious husband Bob Murphy, or BM for short, his wife is Sheila Murphy)
LE So you said you were in Denver all day on Sunday.
BM Yes
LE. Well we went to the area where you were supposed to be setting up your job site and no one saw you there.
BM. Really?
LE. Do you want to tell us where you really were? It doesn’t look good that you are lying about where you were on the day your wife disappeared.
BM Well, I was with a woman.. I didn’t want my daughters to find out.
LE Okay, give us her name and we’ll go have a talk with her; see if she can corroborate your story.
BM. I’d rather not do that.
LE. Why not? If we can not corroborate your story, we won’t be able to clear you as a suspect.
BM. Well, she is married. I don’t want to drag her into this.
In the meantime, everyone in the Salida area knows SM is missing. The searches have not turned up any anything but a couple of personal items and SM’s bike.
News and social media carry the story that BM was in Denver on Mother’s Day.
LE continues to ask for tips.
A local homeowner realizes that the man hired to do dirt prep for his new foundation is the husband of the missing woman. He knows BM was in his yard on 5/10. He knows that husband was supposed to be in Denver that day. He decides it’s probably nothing, but decides to call the tip line.
LE asks if they can come to his yard and examine the foundation. They bring GPR and find some suspicious spots. The also bring cadaver dogs and have gotten hits on the property.
They step back and advise the homeowner that they are going to seek a search warrant to dig beneath the concrete and a couple of other spots in the yard. They seal off the property until they obtain a warrant.
Some judges want more probable cause, almost proof, others are a little more relaxed in their decision to sign a search warrant. Investigators often try to time their warrant requests for when a more forgiving judge is on call.
The original lie BM told wouldn’t be enough to make him the only PIO, but it definitely would move him high on the list. When you add in the dig site, the dog hits, the GPR results, and have not found the missing person, it goes a lot further to giving you probable cause for the search warrant.

Ok..I thought they had to be engaged in an ongoing and continuous search with a SW.
I've never heard that rule.

IMO

In my state it's typical for SWs to be executed over many hours, but not 24 hrs, day after day. Different agencies have different shifts and number of personnel so it all depends. When a SW area/land/home is shut down for the night, the place is guarded so no intrusions occur.

The similarities for me is that everyone on the Brussard thread piled on the boyfriend even after LE had shifted the focus of their investigation. Nobody on the thread knew the focus of the investigation and the unproven accusations were rampant. That may be exactly where we are in this thread so why would I want to contribute to that. I've learned that there is nothing to be gained by making unproven accusations even if I have suspicions.
I realise I have a lot of catching up to do. But, we have been given permission from Tricia discuss BM to a degree. Because "it seems he may be treated as a POI."

Where as in the Broussard case, Shane wasn't.

@Seattle1 - So the shop will deliver flowers for Mother's Day to Maysville by United States Postal Service? Did you happen to inquire when the cut-off date for guaranteed delivery on Mother's Day might have been?

That's not what she said - she said if you have a street address recognized by USPS, they can deliver. Not that USPS now delivers flowers.

7 days after she disappeared? Doesn't that seem like a long time? It does to me. Way too long imo.
It was all very shocking to many of us. As for me it stunned me. Because if she had been abducted it was a day lay late and a dollar short. Because, in my mind I pictured someone throwing somebody a life belt or a lifesaver, but waiting 15 minutes before doing so....

Okay, I watched it again. The way they cordoned off the area from the back patio to the diggie machine seemed a little weird to me, like they were interested in certain areas on that side. In contrast, the side of the driveway that was cordoned off ran in a straight line. I might be reading to much into it. That whole yard does not look like it has belonged to a landscaper for the last 2 years. Lots of rock work, but no plantings or anything to soften that hardscape.

JMO
That picture in the top left that looks down from the sky at the roof tells me that house is one majorly expensive building project when they had it built. I did a little roofing and there are so many hips, valleys, and ridges along that roof line that it makes it complex to build a home like that.

By contrast when you have a regular simple rectangular A-frame type home with only one or two special features in the roof trusses and roof's structure, it makes for a less expensive home. When you have a home like they have with all those different room features where one part of the roof intersects with another creating hips and valleys, you are dealing with a very expensive and complex build.

The reason this stuck out to me is I was thinking about the previous threads where we wondered if financial difficulties may be happening and that picture of that home screams out to me financial difficulties.

We know the purchase and acquisition has already happened but we dont know how much was financed and we dont know about the ongoing utility bills, taxes, etc that are happening on an ongoing basis. Its hard to fathom that what appears to be a small business owner of a dirt laying company would be able to handle a home like that without other financial support or taking actions to raise finances. All JMO of course.

f4d1f423-faab-42b2-9666-7222709c2d2e-jpeg.252521

I've never heard that rule.

IMO

In my state it's typical for SWs to be executed over many hours, but not 24 hrs, day after day. Different agencies have different shifts and number of personnel so it all depends. When a SW area/land/home is shut down for the night, the place is guarded so no intrusions occur.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member