Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What else do you suggest? He jumps up and down and screams?
I have to say, it would be nice to see someone make some noise regarding her disappearance! The silence is deafening. Show some emotion (if it were there), plead, ask for any information. Instead, he tries negotiating with a non existent (IMO) abductor? I reached out to Lauren Scharf via DM and asked about the recent land purchase. She gave me an explanation and said she was reaching out to the FBI last Friday as the CBI has been so quiet. Once we have the approval to share, I will.

I want him in front of the cameras because when people get in front of the cameras, they make mistakes.

If he didn’t do it, then his behavior is just vile. If he did, it’s understandable.

1. Quite right that people make mistakes sometimes when speaking publicly. That doesn't automatically mean that the person is guilty of anything.

2. Perhaps his behavior isn't "vile" but just the behavior of an introvert who doesn't like speaking in public or giving press conferences.

Again, I do not know if Barry Morphew is guilty or innocent. However, I also do not believe that demeanor alone is enough to tell us whether he is guilty or innocent.

1. Quite right that people make mistakes sometimes when speaking publicly. That doesn't automatically mean that the person is guilty of anything.

2. Perhaps his behavior isn't "vile" but just the behavior of an introvert who doesn't like speaking in public or giving press conferences.

Again, I do not know if Barry Morphew is guilty or innocent. However, I also do not believe that demeanor alone is enough to tell us whether he is guilty or innocent.
No, but the actions of law enforcement are a solid guide as to which way the wind is blowing.

Imagine being so “introverted,” that you take absolutely no action to help find your “kidnapped” wife.

So “introverted,” that you can’t even appoint someone to do the things you should be doing (TN cut and ran).

No one is saying that demeanor alone is indicative of guilt, but the answers to the questions can absolutely bury you.

I’d argue that’s why there have been no media interviews, and the release of that bizarre 27 second plea.

LE told BM/Family What?
@kay74 :) bbm ibm My thread searches and memory are both coming up empty on ^^^ stmt in this case. Since you posted about LE & "ruin the investigation" as being said "somewhere on here" I'd appreciate a link to MSM or WS approved source for the stmt. Altho I could have forgotten having read it, since such a stmt would seem quite out of the ordinary for LE investigation in a MisPers case, I believe it would have jumped out and bit me. Can you pls find a link? Thx in adv.

If someone else here posted that LE did not want BM or family to talk, because it would "ruin the investigation" I believe that particular poster or other posters would be able to find link to MSM or WS approved source for the stmt. Maybe they will look back too, if they have time.
I did read it. I read it a couple times. I was on two different websites that are posting on Suzanne. I'll find it tomorrow, I'm too tired right now.

That was off putting to me, too.

But to give benefit of the doubt, I could see my dad saying something that direct about a loved one. It’s hard for me to explain without getting too personal, but some very loving, loyal men (people, really) are also shockingly matter-of-fact when terrible things happen.

MOO
Yes. I read that compartmentalizing is a psychological defense mechanism regardless of guilt or innocence. It works for me :)

Last edited:
No, but the actions of law enforcement are a solid guide as to which way the wind is blowing.

No one is saying that demeanor alone is indicative of guilt, but the answers to the questions can absolutely bury you.

1. Also correct: investigators' actions are an indication of what their suspicions may be, but -- as with any human endeavor -- their suspicions may be correct or incorrect. There's simply a dearth of publicly known hard evidence in this case.

2. Which is why -- IMHO -- it's better for Barry Morphew to stay silent. If he's innocent, then a "wrong" answer could cause him even more untold problems.

Imagine being so “introverted,” that you take absolutely no action to help find your “kidnapped” wife.

So “introverted,” that you can’t even appoint someone to do the things you should be doing (TN cut and ran).

I’d argue that’s why there have been no media interviews, and the release of that bizarre 27 second plea.
He is looking for his wife. He said he was. You can see what he's doing?

1. Also correct: investigators' actions are an indication of what their suspicions may be, but -- as with any human endeavor -- their suspicions may be correct or incorrect. There's simply a dearth of publicly known hard evidence in this case.

2. Which is why -- IMHO -- it's better for Barry Morphew to stay silent. If he's innocent, then a "wrong" answer could cause him even more untold problems.
You’re talking as a lawyer, as that’s the advice you would give.

I’m talking about how people in similar situations respond in real life. They aren’t thinking of legal consequences, and if they are, they put them aside to do the one thing they can do:

Speak up, get the word out, and help find your loved one. I’ve never seen an innocent person behave this way.

There’s a reason the CBI and FBI were called in right away, and why this was never, not for a second, handled as a potential abduction.

Someone screwed up. Royally.

I want him in front of the cameras because when people get in front of the cameras, they make mistakes.

IMO the mistakes made are often things a killer doesn't think of, including info that can be found on their own cell phone, spouse's cell phone, habits and routines, communications of the spouse to others, forensics, staging, etc.

Looking weird in front of the media is a boon for watchers who love that stuff (and it is entertaining), but the meat & potatoes of a case isn't that, it's the things the public doesn't see.

What my post was addressing, in particular, was the emotion, grief and all the related that people want to see and witness and keep mentioning as proof of BM being a loving spouse. Somehow that makes it all believable or something. Well, those don't make or break a case; better that LE get all the evidence they need.

IMO

BBM:

Yeah, but who cares about what's better for BM?

Isn't the more important question, "What's better for Suzanne?"
I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but she's the one who's missing and endangered.
Not him.

If SM was abducted/had an accident and crashed her bike/got hit by a car/was carried off by a mountain lion, as BM has postulated, how in the Hello, Dolly does his radio silence help Suzanne?

The fact that BM appears to be prioritizing what's in his best interests vs. what's in his missing wife's best interests, is very telling.

His priorities are abundantly clear.

It's damning stuff.

JMO.

Last edited:

Absolutely true! I would give that advice because of the fact that investigators look at the spouse/BF/GF first. Now, I know that not all clients would follow the advice provided.

I’m talking about how people in similar situations respond in real life. They aren’t thinking of legal consequences, and if they are, they put them aside to do the one thing they can do:

Speak up, get the word out, and help find your loved one. I’ve never seen an innocent person behave this way.
Everything you've mentioned, though, can equally be applied to Suzanne's family & her daughters. I will agree that her husband should be the primary "mover and shaker" in trying to find her, but an absence of behavior that we may have come to expect in missing person cases just has too many other possible explanations.

I did read it. I read it a couple times. I was on two different websites that are posting on Suzanne. I'll find it tomorrow, I'm too tired right now.
I may have read the same article but I can't remember which one it was
either. I think it was a family member or friend who said they were told not to reveal information and they did not want to hinder the investigation, or something along those lines. Jmo

Last edited:

There’s a reason the CBI and FBI were called in right away, and why this was never, not for a second, handled as a potential abduction.

Someone screwed up. Royally.

And...that's what you want (or should) IMO, when a spouse is involved in a disappearance. You want them to have screwed up, you want them to be found out, you want LE to be onto them ASAP. Not acting the way a loving spouse would? Fine. One more piece of circumstantial evidence. Whatever works to get the perp. The point is: a spouse who murders is already the worst of the worst. S/he are not a good person, there's no redemption, no amount of dancing in front of cameras that will change what's been done. I, as does everyone, want them caught, charged, and prosecuted to the greatest extent possible.

Last edited:
Absolutely true! I would give that advice because of the fact that investigators look at the spouse/BF/GF first. Now, I know that not all clients would follow the advice provided.

Everything you've mentioned, though, can equally be applied to Suzanne's family & her daughters. I will agree that her husband should be the primary "mover and shaker" in trying to find her, but an absence of behavior that we may have come to expect in missing person cases just has too many other possible explanations.
My sense is that they know this is a homicide investigation. They may not all agree on who is responsible, but the only times I have seen this behavior, is when a homicide has occurred.

The difference here is that there is no body, and no public statement from law enforcement as to what this really is.

But they (the family) may know things we do not.

@kay74 :) It's tricky to keep track of who said what where. I have not read other SocMedia about this case but can still get confused about where I saw something. Looking forward to link.

BBM:

Yeah, but who cares about what's better for BM?

Isn't the more important question, "What's better for Suzanne?"

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but she's the one who's missing and endangered.
Not him.

If SM was abducted, or had an accident and crashed her bike, how does BM staying silent help Suzanne?

The fact that BM appears to be prioritizing what's in his best interest vs. what's in his missing wife's best interest, is very telling.

His priorities are clear.
It's damning stuff.

JMO.

It's certainly not what we've come to expect in missing person cases. However, we know that (1) investigators zero in on the spouse/BF/GF as a rule of thumb and (2) Barry Morphew knows that he is the only parent his girls have around right now. His prioritizing may simply be a realization that he needs to do anything to lessen the likelihood that investigators zero in on him so that he can be there for his daughters.

Again, I'm not saying that I know that Barry Morphew is innocent or not, but I have little faith in attempting to "read" the demeanor of the loved ones of missing persons.

Not acting the way a loving spouse would? Fine. One more piece of circumstantial evidence. Whatever works to get the perp.

But my question is whether "not acting the way" we believe a loving spouse should behave really is circumstantial evidence of anything. If there is some sort of empirical research on the subject, I'd like to read it because -- in my experience -- we humans are not the best at drawing conclusions from behavior (or the absence thereof).

I think that’s part of the reason I’m so suspicious of him. I don’t like people who don’t just speak their minds and say what they think... I hate it when people calculate and manipulate ... how their words or actions will be received. I think what I’m missing from BM is emotion. I know there are good people who don’t show emotions, but dammit I want some of that ambition and passion that is in him to be shown for his wife! If he has the kind of ambition that pushes him to keep making business deals during this tragedy... he’s got it to use to help find his wife.
Oh yes! BM certainly has the ambition to “keep making business deals”, selling, buying and goodness knows what else he has up his sleeve or down his p....... :rolleyes: don’t want to go too far. But oh no, NO ambition whatsoever to find his “beloved” wife of 26 years, all he can come up with is 26 (or so) seconds of some weirdness. Me thinks he doesn’t need to make any effort to find SM because he knows exactly where she is and HE’S NOT TELLING. Of the little we have seen of him, I have not detected one iota of real emotion or that Suzanne’s disappearance has affected him in any way whatsoever. Zilch, nada, nothing, nichts. He is an empty vessel. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member