Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is always a possibility that a drifter could murder a lone woman riding her bike.

Most spouses and/or SO's don't murder their partners but when a woman IS murdered LE look to their partners first because of the law of averages. And when women aren't murdered by their spouses and/or SO's they have been killed by opportunists or by someone who has zeroed in on the victim and stalked them. So I guess in the case of Suzanne being killed by an opportunist, stalking drifter really puts her disappearance in to negligible percentages.

I don't see a drifter giving a damn about covering up a crime. It's one and done and on to the next place. I don't see a drifter's act of murder morph into police cordoning off the family home, removing evidence in plastic baggies, digging up concrete on a property associated with the missing person's spouse. I don't see every single family member remaining mute on the disappearance of their mother/spouse/aunt/friend if a drifter was responsible. I don't see LE never providing a description of the missing person's clothing, personal items, and bike description if there was a scintilla of evidence to suggest a stranger/drifter was responsible.

MOO

I do not for one second think some Bushy Haired Stranger who may have been a drifter snatched Suzanne off her bike with out leaving even a scent for a dog to pick up,nor one tiny shred of evidence, even a hair, behind. What,is this Bushy Haired Stranger some sort of forensic wizard?

Every crime leaves a trace. I don't remember the famed scientist who originally said that and I think even wrote a much-sited textbook on the subject, but it still stands.

I will say, of course, that this is my personal opinion, but science doesn't lie. Technology doesn't lie.

Science, and forensics, and technology, led LE to search the Morphew's home, and a site Barry worked at.

Science doesn't lie.

If nobody in SM's family is responsible for her being missing, why aren't they doing the same thing? They have money to hire a PI (which is what Michele Le's family did without begging the public for money).

I'm very baffled as to why Suzanne's family isn't doing anything as far as we know. Michele's family also set up media interviews to keep Michele's picture and name in the public eye. They were very vocal. They wanted their loved one found.

IMO

BM claimed in his secret interview with TD he has hired his own PI <pause for others to roll eyes>. However, a PI who reporter LS interviewed, said he knows all the PIs in CO or at least is familiar with them and to his knowledge none of them have been hired by BM.

Why isn't one family doing the exact same actions as a different family nearly a decade ago in another state, for a completely different crime? It's all being investigated thoroughly by LE. All leads and tips are being followed up by LE, as they've said numerous times in prior press statements. Why circumvent what LE is doing when you've got the best agencies (including FBI support as well as CBI) working on the case?

The rest is people wanting (expecting) the family members of SM to put themselves in the media spotlight and being angry they are choosing not to do that. And if you think about it, the vitriol, craziness, intrusion, conspiracies, and even sometimes obsessive stalkers online, on multiple social media platforms, thrown at innocent family members and friends is more than anyone needs to deal with IMO. (note: I'm not including BM when I talk about "SM's family members").

IMO

IMO

BM claimed in his secret interview with TD he has hired his own PI <pause for others to roll eyes>. However, a PI who reporter LS interviewed, said he knows all the PIs in CO or at least is familiar with them and to his knowledge none of them have been hired by BM.

Why isn't one family doing the exact same actions as a different family nearly a decade ago in another state, for a completely different crime? It's all being investigated thoroughly by LE. All leads and tips are being followed up by LE, as they've said numerous times in prior press statements. Why circumvent what LE is doing when you've got the best agencies (including FBI support as well as CBI) working on the case?

The rest is people wanting (expecting) the family members of SM to put themselves in the media spotlight and being angry they are choosing not to do that. And if you think about it, the vitriol, craziness, intrusion, conspiracies, and even sometimes obsessive stalkers online, on multiple social media platforms, thrown at innocent family members and friends is more than anyone needs to deal with IMO. (note: I'm not including BM when I talk about "SM's family members").

IMO

I also think that Suzanne's family knows that she is gone. So,speaking out won't bring her back, so they will add their words so that justice may be served,when that time comes.

IMO

ETA: I believe that is Suzanne's family thought she was alive,they would be screaming from the rooftops. I don't think this is a mystery to them; only the how and her location. IMO

You know, at first I disregarded the fact that SM was supposedly alone on Mother’s Day. For many, it’s a Hallmark holiday and you don’t need to take one day a year to celebrate your mother when you can do that every day. I didn’t see it as significant that she was alone. Maybe it isn’t?

The more I think about it though, if my mother/wife had just overcome a cancer battle which could have taken her life, I’m not sure I would have left her alone and I feel that I would have made it a special day. I suppose every family dynamic is different but speaking of my own situation (I’m very close with my mother), I don’t think I’d ever take that special day for granted again knowing that I could have lost her.

My mother will pass one day and I don’t ever want to look back and wish I had made more effort. I will be making more effort moving forward.

I’m not suggesting that her family didn’t love her or take her for granted, I can only speak from my own experience and how I would feel if my loved one had battled a potentially life threatening illness. JMO.
Not much is known by the public of the extent of SM's illness and the after effects. Perhaps that were long term physical effects where SM no longer had the physical vitality to continue as a vivacious and active partner in the marriage and her care would be a burden and cost to her caregiver. So sad in itself. Quite the damper on a middle aged marriage. But a divorce would also change BM's affluence. But the circumstances ar not clear but hopefully the specific circumstances are known to LE.

I am older than SM but went through 6 chemo treatments 0ver a 5 month span for lymphoma in 2018 and subsequently have had two non-related cancers treated by surgery since. I have good days and bad days but in general my physical vitality is off way and I tire easily even though in remission. There are many aspects of not so long ago life that just do not do any more or otherwise consider the risk differently.

You know, at first I disregarded the fact that SM was supposedly alone on Mother’s Day. For many, it’s a Hallmark holiday and you don’t need to take one day a year to celebrate your mother when you can do that every day. I didn’t see it as significant that she was alone. Maybe it isn’t?

The more I think about it though, if my mother/wife had just overcome a cancer battle which could have taken her life, I’m not sure I would have left her alone and I feel that I would have made it a special day. I suppose every family dynamic is different but speaking of my own situation (I’m very close with my mother), I don’t think I’d ever take that special day for granted again knowing that I could have lost her.

My mother will pass one day and I don’t ever want to look back and wish I had made more effort. I will be making more effort moving forward.

I’m not suggesting that her family didn’t love her or take her for granted, I can only speak from my own experience and how I would feel if my loved one had battled a potentially life threatening illness. JMO.
Perhaps there were posts from previous Mother’s Day on Suzanne’s FB that shows usual family activities, etc?
Although normalcy wasn’t in play during the time period due to the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions.
Mother’s Day visits can be a bit tricky with uni finals usually occurring the week leading up to that day. We used to pick a weekend between Mother’s and Father’s Day to visit.
Every family is different.
JMO

I recently watched a Dateline episode on Michele Le. She was a nursing student who went missing, with her body eventually being found.

A couple of things struck me about Michele Le's case. First, after her vehicle was found, the police deemed it homicide and would give no information to her concerned family or anyone else. It seems that they found blood evidence in her vehicle but didn't tell the family.

Maybe, that is what is happening in SM's case. Maybe, police discovered something to deem this to be a homicide case and are actively looking for the body and supporting evidence as to the murderer.

Second, because the police would give no information to the family, they continued to search for her. They didn't know where to begin and contacted Amber DuBois' mother who told them what they should do. They then contacted Marc Klaas, who was very helpful to them.

Marc Klaas was able to get some information from the police, like where they should be searching. They took all of the advice, set up a search center and formed search parties. After Amber DuBois' mother brought in a search dog, the body was eventually found.

If nobody in SM's family is responsible for her being missing, why aren't they doing the same thing? They have money to hire a PI (which is what Michele Le's family did without begging the public for money).

I'm very baffled as to why Suzanne's family isn't doing anything as far as we know. Michele's family also set up media interviews to keep Michele's picture and name in the public eye. They were very vocal. They wanted their loved one found.

They did all this because they were frustrated and had no idea of what the police were doing behind the scenes. It seems as if nobody cares about Suzanne. Surely, she was important to someone.
It’s just my opinion, but there is a reason that Suzanne’s family is silent. They aren’t searching for her because they know she is deceased. Suzanne’s loved one’s must have information on the investigation that we do not.

Not much is known by the public of the extent of SM's illness and the after effects. Perhaps that were long term physical effects where SM no longer had the physical vitality to continue as a vivacious and active partner in the marriage and her care would be a burden and cost to her caregiver. So sad in itself. Quite the damper on a middle aged marriage. But a divorce would also change BM's affluence. But the circumstances ar not clear but hopefully the specific circumstances are known to LE.

I am older than SM but went through 6 chemo treatments 0ver a 5 month span for lymphoma in 2018 and subsequently have had two non-related cancers treated by surgery since. I have good days and bad days but in general my physical vitality is off way and I tire easily even though in remission. There are many aspects of not so long ago life that just do not do any more or otherwise consider the risk differently.
Thanks for sharing, so sorry to hear you are going thro this and hopefully you'll get back to your previous energy levels in time.

Moving along from the obvious Bad Barry theories, I'm still pondering the nearly 9o investigators' search of 2.5 miles of Highway 50 that closed the highway for a day. Look at the consequences for vehicular homicide. Motive enough to hide a body?

Regarding vehicular homicide: how could evidence of something happening at a scene, a scene in which a person is hit by a vehicle and killed, be completely hidden? I'm not referring to the body being hidden afterwards, but no indication at the scene itself?

Aside from that, the consequences could range from no charges filed (accident, bike cut into path of driver) to misdemeanor, up to felony homicide, depending on the particulars of the crash. Not every car hitting a cyclist, resulting in death, is considered a homicide.

IMO

Last edited:
Moving along from the obvious Bad Barry theories, I'm still pondering the nearly 9o investigators' search of 2.5 miles of Highway 50 that closed the highway for a day. Look at the consequences for vehicular homicide. Motive enough to hide a body?

Lakewood man who killed two people while driving high on meth gets 158 years in prison
Suzanne being hit by a car is a possibility, especially if the driver of the vehicle is: drunk, on drugs, on probation, a felon, guilty of other driving offenses, etc. It could be enough of a reason, in the criminal’s mind, to hide or take her body. The thing is, it appears from LE’s behavior that there isn’t evidence to support this theory. Judging from their behavior it doesn’t look like THEY feel this is a viable scenario.

IMO

Time for another in the Map series:
This Google Earth aerial view show the pertinent sites, with three property lines roughly overlaid for 19057 Puma Path (lavender print with lavender border) ,
19087 Puma Path, (orange print with orange border)
and 8940 CR 225. (lavender print with red border)
The total distance from the furthest west property line of 8940 CR 225 to the furthest east border of 19057 Puma path is roughly 2415 feet. This is equivalent to six city blocks. The distance from SM's east property line where it crosses her driveway to the spot where BM told TD she may have been abducted is 1200 feet, or two city blocks. There are three houses involved, two of which have no one home at the present time. It's not a great challenge to deduce that LE keeps returning to the same home. They are searching the scene of the disappearance, again.

This map was produced entirely in Google Earth. The property lines are my best estimation of the points of the property lines, with connecting lines generated by Google Earth.

The exact property lines can be found at:
Assessor
On the left side of the home page Click on "Search Assessor Database". On the search page, copy and paste any one of the three addresses given here into "Search by address" and hit "Search". At the property Information page, click on "MAP" in the bark blue margin header.

Attachments

• Property Lines on CR225 and Puma Path.jpg
    Property Lines on CR225 and Puma Path.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Regarding vehicular homicide: how could evidence of something happening at a scene, a scene in which a person is hit by a vehicle and killed, be completely hidden? I'm not referring to the body being hidden afterwards, but no indication at the scene itself?

Aside from that, the consequences could range from no charges filed (accident, bike cut into path of driver) to misdemeanor, up to felony homicide, depending on the particulars of the crash. Not every car hitting a cyclist, resulting in death, is considered a homicide.

IMO

Boulder Jane Doe was found April 8, 1954 and her actual cause of death, which was vehicular homicide on a roadway in a Colorado mountain canyon by Serial killer Harvey Glatman, was not public information until November 4, 2009.
Boulder Jane Doe identified, but who did it?

Boulder Jane Doe was found April 8, 1954 and her actual cause of death, which was vehicular homicide on a roadway in a Colorado mountain canyon by Serial killer Harvey Glatman, was not public information until November 4, 2009.
Boulder Jane Doe identified, but who did it?
I'm not talking about a case and details of the case hidden from the public, I'm talking only about evidence of a car hitting a human, the human being killed, and LE can't find *any* evidence of anything happening at the spot where this hitting of a human occurred.

I'm not talking about a case and details of the case hidden from the public, I'm talking only about evidence of a car hitting a human, the human being killed, and LE can't find *any* evidence of anything happening at the spot where this hitting of a human occurred.
We don't know what evidence they do have but since their searches have been at the home twice and at BM's jobsite, it doesn't appear that LE has found evidence of her being hit by a car. However, I can think of a scenario where she was and that there might also be evidence at the home.
moo

LE did not recognize that the forensic evidence pointed directly to vehicular homicide until 2008. Using only the evidence gathered in 1954, and with assistance of CBI, other independent forensic labs, and a very gracious antique automobile collector; the Boulder County Sheriff's Office was able to prove exactly how it happened.
I can tell you from my experience that if either of TD's two bridge theories were correct, the crash could be proven by forensics visible in his videos. However, in TD's video, BM pointed out that it was impossible to determine the exact point because of heavy foot and vehicular traffic. In the Boulder Jane Doe reconstruction, the victim was airborne for a short distance after impact, landing on a distinctive rock in the creek bed below. LE was able to calculate the exact travel back to the point of impact mathematically; and then recreate the actual homicide using a carefully crafted identical dummy and the exact same automobile make and model.
My point here is that modern LE gather all sorts of forensic evidence that may not have a specific purpose in developing a theory now, but could become quite essential later. At the sixty day mark of a missing persons investigation, it is safe to conclude that LE has NOT ruled out vehicular homicide. Is it an active theory at sixty days? We have no information that it is, or that it isn't. JMO

I'm English and we don't really use the term drifter much. The only drifter I know of is Jack Reacher :D! So apologies in advance for the questions...

Would they normally have a vehicle? Would they sleep in that, or use motels? What do they live on for money? Would they seek casual work? What do they eat?

Just thinking, these kind of points could lead us to a potential suspect in the area.
Mostly to me it's someone who roams around the country, homeless, sometimes looking for prey or hoping for prey. There was even someone like that in the small town I used to live in with an out of state license plate. Scary.

We don't know what evidence they do have but since their searches have been at the home twice and at BM's jobsite, it doesn't appear that LE has found evidence of her being hit by a car. However, I can think of a scenario where she was and that there might also be evidence at the home.
moo
If it was vehicular homicide, it was well within the small area LE has been concentrating on. "searching the Morphew property" in a news bulletin does not limit the search to interior rooms, nor does it limit is to just within surveyor's lines. It means they are searching a very small area which includes the home. As I said a moment ago, that happens to be the only one occupied at the moment. IMO

Entirely possible.
I'm curious though, in your opinion, what was the motive, or why do you suspect a drifter, or taken out of state?
The motive? I guess because she was attractive and it was an opportunity for this person to grab her without anyone else around. I believe it's a remote area where she was taken. These are just assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth