Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting side note from Lauren's live session.

Skinner was in Salida for the hunt in October 2019. One day he stayed back from the hunt, Barry was at work. He spent time with Suzanne, that's when he had the bike convo with her. Means nothing really, just a bit curious he stayed home that day.

Also worth noting- Suzanne had her last treatment and was declared cancer free just before Skinner arrived for the hunt.
I wonder if BM felt a slight disappointment Suzanne was declared cancer free...? He may have decided he needed to go to Plan B, an unexplained, mysterious disappearance of his beloved wife. Sorry, I don’t mean to sound flippant, but this wasn’t a spur of the moment happening, MOO! Not saying I’m suspicious of BM at all (eye roll)
If I go missing and my siblings don’t speak out I would be p****d. I think my husband would be beside himself screaming. Where is the family? I am confused.

MOO Suzanne’s family not speaking to reporters tells me they don’t want their personal thoughts on what happened to her aired for public consumption or maybe LE has politely suggested they not speak out while at this stage of the investigation. For what it’s worth, it sure makes the ones being used as mouthpieces stand out like a sore thumb with their words being analyzed over and over, in true WS style I love!
If my siblings or family knew there were some problems in my marriage and I went missing, I don’t believe they wouldn’t speak publicly this soon.

She sure is, that's not the point. She's being thrown many questions at once, on the spot.
I'd be very surprised to learn that SM disappeared AFTER mother's day.

ETA: IMO, MOO

BBM

Me, too. But there are other interpretations of “later”. Possibly they had no report of her being seen later than 5/8, and then the second canvas produced a confirmed sighting on 5/9 or 5/10.

Pure speculation, MOO

I still feel like it’s a message to someone that they discovered another fact about her last time seen. It screams “not on a bike ride” IMO MOO

I think that people who buy homes away from town where the neighbors are few and far apart (relatively speaking) do so partly/mainly? because they appreciate the privacy. For better or for worse, that means much less human interaction without making a deliberate effort. Could be that like-minded people all find each other; most of the inhabitants feel the same: they're private people. The two descriptions of her from the Fire Chief and TS make it sound to me like she is a people person. I wonder if it was hard being semi-isolated in that way? I don't know anything about her daily life to say that, but I wonder about it anyway. Maybe I'm projecting; I should assume she's happy as a clam for all I know.

I'm not sure if she was so much a people person as an isolated person. One who relishes contact with others after living without social contact for extended periods of time.

Yes, not much said about SUZANNE at all.

What is SUZANNE like? Does she love to bake? Is she a bookaholic? What does SUZANNE do to rest and recharge? What special activities does she do with her daughters? Her siblings? (Who I guess are satisfied with just keeping SUZANNE in their thoughts everyday.)

But Barry. Him we are hearing about. I know more about him than SUZANNE, the missing person! And he’s not out in the news keeping SUZANNE at the forefront of things because he’s a “private person” and “grieving?”

Wow. Just, wow.

What the silence of SUZANNE’s side of the family says to me is they don’t think she is missing. They know she is dead, and they know who is responsible.

Otherwise, wouldn’t SUZANNE’s side of the family be as vocal as heck??

(To those who say that LE asked SUZANNE’s family not to talk publicly about the case, I haven’t seen where LE confirmed that. I think BM farmed out that idea to the family, back in the beginning before the family caught on to what was going on—misdirection.)

IMO I think there may be a lot of water under the bridge when it comes to the dynamics between the Morphews and the Moormans.

It wouldn't be the first time a spouse has edged their beloved to have less and less contact with their own family. It's a classic form of control. Yearly excuses for Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving visits has a cumulative effect on other family members, whether they see it as acquiescence on the part of their immediate relative or a conscious choice.

The bottom line is they've been sidelined. It doesn't mean they don't care, it just means they grieve from afar.

Just about to go to bed and sign off but I thought I'd throw something out there.
I have no qualms whatsoever that SM's family, friends or even the kids, haven't been vocal.
What if they had witnessed behavior that one could construe as controlling, threatening or even physically abusive.
Are you really going to voice that? Hell no, not publicly, that's for sure. To LE? They may have and hopefully they have, if that's the case.
Hypothetically, here may be a man capable of murder, whether by design or during the spur of the moment.
There's no body. No response from LE. Are you going to chirp up to the media? That would be stupid.
If he were capable of killing one person, why wouldn't he be capable of killing you.
Same goes for those who would have his back. They're few and far between. At least one isn't the kind of guy you would want as a character witness. The others who have spoken up work with him and likely know nothing about him other than what he portrays.
What if he LE does have circumstantial evidence, he's brought to trial but he's not convicted. Look at those ramifications, whether it be emotional and financial or even vindictive measures.
If I were a person with inside information, I'd be talking to LE and only LE.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I've just seen a lot of back and forth about this topic.
This is all, of course, just my opinion and I don't mean to disrespect anyone.
JMO, MOO

Last edited:
IMO I think there may be a lot of water under the bridge when it comes to the dynamics between the Morphews and the Moormans.

It wouldn't be the first time a spouse has edged their beloved to have less and less contact with their own family. It's a classic form of control. Yearly excuses for Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving visits has a cumulative effect on other family members, whether they see it as acquiescence on the part of their immediate relative or a conscious choice.

The bottom line is they've been sidelined. It doesn't mean they don't care, it just means they grieve from afar.

Those of you on the Gannon forum heard a lot about how my baby sister the sociopath, screwed up my family dynamics in the last years of my mother’s life. I guess you could say I am somewhat estranged from them.
Yes, we attend weddings and funerals, and maintain civility, but the reality is that I outgrew them long ago. I just didn’t realize it until my mother’s final years.
I no longer need the approval and support I never got from them. I have friends I am closer to. If I were in a SM like situation, I probably wouldn’t want to have my siblings speak for me. They judged me from their guilty and jealous perspectives, not necessarily fairly or correctly.
My mother’s siblings know the truth, as does my poor sister, who over the years had borne the brunt of my sociopathic baby sister’s torment.
My point is simply this, SM May have grown apart from her birth family. She may have been the anomaly in that family. The kind and generous one.
Sometimes when you go through difficult times, people share their own painful experiences with you. I learned that “there’s always one sibling...”, that most families ARE dysfunctional.
Maybe that’s why I so want this to be that one truly happy family. Maybe we don’t need to hear from SM’s family. She’s 49yo.
That means she has lived more of her life in her own family w/ BM.
And yes, I know there are numerous theories on how much our early years impact our entire lives, but sometimes wonderful people come from horrendous beginnings, and vice versa. I am already looking forward to our 3 month update. (NOT)lol.
IMO this case is not going to be solved by learning anything more about SM.
Nor about BM. There is an unknown quantity here, therein lies the difficulty.

Those of you on the Gannon forum heard a lot about how my baby sister the sociopath, screwed up my family dynamics in the last years of my mother’s life. I guess you could say I am somewhat estranged from them.
Yes, we attend weddings and funerals, and maintain civility, but the reality is that I outgrew them long ago. I just didn’t realize it until my mother’s final years.
I no longer need the approval and support I never got from them. I have friends I am closer to. If I were in a SM like situation, I probably wouldn’t want to have my siblings speak for me. They judged me from their guilty and jealous perspectives, not necessarily fairly or correctly.
My mother’s siblings know the truth, as does my poor sister, who over the years had borne the brunt of my sociopathic baby sister’s torment.
My point is simply this, SM May have grown apart from her birth family. She may have been the anomaly in that family. The kind and generous one.
Sometimes when you go through difficult times, people share their own painful experiences with you. I learned that “there’s always one sibling...”, that most families ARE dysfunctional.
Maybe that’s why I so want this to be that one truly happy family. Maybe we don’t need to hear from SM’s family. She’s 49yo.
That means she has lived more of her life in her own family w/ BM.
And yes, I know there are numerous theories on how much our early years impact our entire lives, but sometimes wonderful people come from horrendous beginnings, and vice versa. I am already looking forward to our 3 month update. (NOT)lol.
IMO this case is not going to be solved by learning anything more about SM.
Nor about BM. There is an unknown quantity here, therein lies the difficulty.

I had no idea of you history, Feisty, but I'm sorry you've had that experience.
Who knows the history of this family, we surely don't.
I don't think we can relate our experiences into cases where we have so little knowledge about their individual and family dynamics.
I hope, truly, that you are living your life to the fullest. *HUGS*

I'm not so sure that Lauren didn't misspeak and meant EARLIER than originally 'reported'. Something I might try to contact her about.

Lol at my typos!
I'm going to have to watch it again before I can have a thoroughly informed opinion of what she said.
As Scarlett said, after all, tomorrow is another day. I'm exhausted.

She sure is, that's not the point. She's being thrown many questions at once, on the spot.
I'd be very surprised to learn that SM disappeared AFTER mother's day.

ETA: IMO, MOO
She didn't disappear after MD. She was reported missing on MD and never hide nor tail of her since then or before for who knows when?

You know, at first I disregarded the fact that SM was supposedly alone on Mother’s Day. For many, it’s a Hallmark holiday and you don’t need to take one day a year to celebrate your mother when you can do that every day. I didn’t see it as significant that she was alone. Maybe it isn’t?

The more I think about it though, if my mother/wife had just overcome a cancer battle which could have taken her life, I’m not sure I would have left her alone and I feel that I would have made it a special day. I suppose every family dynamic is different but speaking of my own situation (I’m very close with my mother), I don’t think I’d ever take that special day for granted again knowing that I could have lost her.

My mother will pass one day and I don’t ever want to look back and wish I had made more effort. I will be making more effort moving forward.

I’m not suggesting that her family didn’t love her or take her for granted, I can only speak from my own experience and how I would feel if my loved one had battled a potentially life threatening illness. JMO.

Good points, @lamlawindy. I am in favor of an automatic exemption after a certain amount of time has passed. You mentioned 50 years which is good, but I also think there should be provisions for review to open cases sooner. What if there were a process whereby a family member could appeal for the case files after say 10 years? I could envision a designated reviewer or panel who could make an informed decision based on LE’s reasons for wanting to keep them closed: a new suspect, a strong suspect where more evidence is needed, new witnesses, new evidence etc.
On the flip side if they are showing no new forward movement or no evidence that they are still actively investigating the case, files may be released to the family. This would protect active, but old, investigations, but would also allow a family like the Kessis to see the files on an inactive case without waiting 50 years and without needing to resort to a lawsuit. If the family were to lose their first request, they should have the right to appeal every 5 years thereafter.
What say you?

I like your idea better than a set time period, actually. It would definitely give the family more opportunities to see the case file(s) than having to wait 50, 25, etc. years.

One caveat -- and I preface this by noting that Indiana law has been molded by a strong Jacksonian Democracy spirit -- is that I
would want the reviewer or panel to be (a) separate from the agency that is investigating the case and (b) be an officeholder directly elected by county citizens. Obviously, an internal reviewer/panel could be subject to internal pressure by the agency to not release the file(s). Having a directly elected officeholder (i.e. circuit court judge) further inoculates the reviewer from internal pressure while -- at the same time -- makes him/her responsive to voters in a situation where the public really wants the file(s) released.

I don't think we can relate our experiences into cases where we have so little knowledge about their individual and family dynamics.

^^THIS^^

I've heard it's a lesson taught and reinforced to investigators during training you should not take your own personal and unique situations and project them onto others being investigated. Example: "my husband/wife/friend would never do that, so if POI did, that means POI must/must not..."
(source: a now-retired friend who worked as an investigator for the Sheriff's Dept for 25 yrs). IMO

The public didn't do so great of a job identifying suspects of the Boston Marathon bombing 3 Years After Boston Marathon Bombing, The Story Of A Wrongly Accused Student

Sunil Tripathi was wrongly accused by members of the general public of being a suspect. He and his family were trashed on social media. He had actually gone missing before the marathon and committed suicide, his body was found after the bombing. Not only did his family have to deal with his suicide, but they had to suffer from the false accusations.

I think LE has this case under control and doesn't need any help from the public. IMO.

You bring up an excellent point, which can be encapsulated by the age-old question: Do we have greater confidence in "experts" or in the common folk?

Instinctively, I'd argue that -- while both may be mistaken on occasion -- the latter are to be trusted more often when there is time for reflection & thought, such as when years have passed without a resolution to a criminal investigation.

Most detectives are subject to pressures to solve cases: it's their job. Oftentimes, the most acute pressure comes from the most recent cases, the ones where family, reporters, and police brass are calling, tweeting and commenting. Older cases may necessarily be put aside for a while due to more pressing issues. In these cases, I believe it's appropriate to engage the tool of crowdsourcing to jumpstart an investigation.

A new filing* in the guardianship case filed in Hamilton Superior 1 (here in Indiana) gives me further doubt about a financial motive to harm Suzanne on Barry's part, at least with respect to any assets in Indiana. The inventory shows that the joint assets of Suzanne and Barry total $300,000, which consists wholly of land in Hamilton County. No stocks, bonds, bank accounts, or interests in any businesses are listed. While $300K is not a small sum, the property was apparently owned jointly by Barry & Suzanne, so it was not her separate property; Barry already had a legal right to the land. Additionally, the inventory does not spell out whether the property has any liens on it (obviously, any liens on the property would lessen any financial motive, as the net equity of the property would be less).

* I'm assuming that -- since (1) the guardianship inventory is a public record, (2) is signed under penalty of perjury, and (3) the originating legal action -- the guardianship petition -- has been discussed widely in the MSM & on WS, mentioning it would not be considered sleuthing Barry Morphew. As previously discussed, Barry's lawyer could land in some serious trouble if she filed anything that she knew was untrue, so she provides an added safeguard to the authenticity of the inventory. If anything, the inventory -- being signed under penalty of perjury -- has even more credibility than the unsworn statements made by police, friends, or neighbors that have been cited by the MSM and on WS.

Attachments

A new filing* in the guardianship case filed in Hamilton Superior 1 (here in Indiana) gives me further doubt about a financial motive to harm Suzanne on Barry's part, at least with respect to any assets in Indiana. The inventory shows that the joint assets of Suzanne and Barry total $300,000, which consists wholly of land in Hamilton County. No stocks, bonds, bank accounts, or interests in any businesses are listed. While $300K is not a small sum, the property was apparently owned jointly by Barry & Suzanne, so it was not her separate property; Barry already had a legal right to the land. Additionally, the inventory does not spell out whether the property has any liens on it (obviously, any liens on the property would lessen any financial motive, as the net equity of the property would be less).

* I'm assuming that -- since (1) the guardianship inventory is a public record, (2) is signed under penalty of perjury, and (3) the originating legal action -- the guardianship petition -- has been discussed widely in the MSM & on WS, mentioning it would not be considered sleuthing Barry Morphew. As previously discussed, Barry's lawyer could land in some serious trouble if she filed anything that she knew was untrue, so she provides an added safeguard to the authenticity of the inventory. If anything, the inventory -- being signed under penalty of perjury -- has even more credibility than the unsworn statements made by police, friends, or neighbors that have been cited by the MSM and on WS.
edit
Interesting... it is zoned for agriculture. I wonder if they were planning on growing something? I know hemp is popular in Indiana these days. Could be a very valuable piece of land.

Industry analysts have predicted that the hemp industry could hit more than $20 billion in the next three to five years.

Hemp set to skyrocket in Indiana, but it comes with lots of risk

Last edited:
The farm land in question is being farmed at this time, and is a conventional farming operation. A poster earlier in this thread visited and reported on the farming on either side of the lane leading to the house they sold. That's the land in question.
Many farmers in Indiana are contemplating unconventional agriculture, considering it to be the wave of the future. My impression is that they are mostly young farmers of the next generation, more in the twenty-five to forty age group. IMO

Last edited:
The farm land in question is being farmed at this time, and is a conventional farming operation. A poster earlier in this thread visited and reported on the farming on either side of the lane leading to the house they sold. That's the land in question.
Many farmers in Indiana are contemplating unconventional agriculture, considering it to be the wave of the future. My impression is that they are mostly young farmers of the next generation, more in the twenty to forty age group. IMO
Since 90% of the farms in Indiana are family owned and operated. I wonder if this property was part of Suzannes family's land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth