Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
I have read the guidance -- so, we can't discuss the camping trip at all (about how convenient for BM it was, who arranged it, etc.) because the daughters went on it? If that's true, of course I will shut up, but I'd like to know. Thanks!

My previous Admin notes were made at a time when members were enquiring as to the current whereabouts of the daughters (where and with whom they may be residing).

While no sleuthing of the daughters is allowed, what has been said in MSM and other approved sources about the camping trip is open for discussion and reasonable speculation.

Hope that clarifies.

Good point!
And we know LE banned firefighters from searching...
And we know firefighters were not happy about that. Saying "well they can't keep us out of the Forrest."
That too is certainly something.

IIRC, the only thing that was reported was that LE was not asking for volunteers to help with the search and I believe that somehow morphed into firefighters not being allowed to search.

I’m curious about the crime of passion camp. If it was a crime of passion, does this mean that the camping trip and Barry’s work trip to Denver were coincidental and unrelated to Suzanne’s disappearance? Or that these out of town trips were indeed planned, but not necessarily connected to any possible crime? I struggle with this, but at the same time, I can see how the bike ride and Barry’s work trip could’ve been planned after the fact but were not essentially a part of a longer term strategy. JMO

It’s not a total coincidence for me, speculating. SM might have taken the opportunity of the girls being away to confront on some issue. I believe she’s been missing since before Mother’s Day, and that would’ve given BM a day or so to come up with a plan of disappearance after the fact. The work day in Denver could’ve been pre-planned and retro fitted into an alibi.

MOO, speculation. Still hoping for the evidence that he’s uninvolved.

My previous Admin notes were made at a time when members were enquiring as to the current whereabouts of the daughters (where and with whom they may be residing).

While no sleuthing of the daughters is allowed, what has been said in MSM and other approved sources about the camping trip is open for discussion and reasonable speculation.

Hope that clarifies.
Thank you, it does clarify things.

IIRC, the only thing that was reported was that LE was not asking for volunteers to help with the search and I believe that somehow morphed into firefighters not being allowed to search.
Now you have me curious.
Be right back.

"Morphew’s colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police."

"Tim Nelson, 33, said: ‘The Sheriff’s office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there."

"They can’t keep us out of the forest so that’s what some of the others have done – they set up their own little search party."

"Nelson added: ‘It’s a bad deal you know. They aren’t telling us anything. We got excluded from everything."

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Hope that clarifies.
A quick scan of the media thread revealed one MSM referring to the camping trip
Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the building site Colorado cops are searching | Daily Mail Online

As usual, lots of photos in article

REVEALED: Missing mom Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the residential building site that Colorado cops searching for her are digging up
  • Barry Morphew, 52, worked at the Salida property that is now the focus of the search for his missing wife
  • Morphew was hired to lay dirt on the riverfront land, around 12 miles from the couple's home, before his wife's mysterious disappearance almost two weeks ago, the property owner told CBS4
    rbbm
    DailyMail.com has learned it was her daughters M and M who first raised the alarm after they were unable to get hold of her on Mother's Day as they made their way back from a camping trip in Idaho.
Friends said they asked neighbor JR, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn't get hold of her and it was R who later called the police to report her missing. R declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com.

S S, ..., the stepmother of 17-year-old M's best friend, said: 'The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ''we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?'' 'Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.'....
Police also have his car and his cell phone – leaving the businessman and volunteer firefighter to communicate through his close friend G D ... D declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com, saying he is too busy 'with stuff' to talk.

Morphew's fire department colleagues have been ordered not to take part in the search by police, although locals said Morphew and his friends have been out looking for Suzanne.

nothing reported regarding purpose, arrangements or mode of transportation in this article
Anyone find other MSM with any additional details?

And how do you and so many others on here know or think he killed her? I do not see any evidence or any showing by him that shows he's the monster some people, on here, say he is and accuse him of killing her.

I don’t. And I never said I know he killed her. I just have strong suspicion. I think most people here believe it. But they aren’t stating it as fact.

You, however, are stating your opinion as fact.

Now you have me curious.
Be right back.

"Morphew’s colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police."

"Tim Nelson, 33, said: ‘The Sheriff’s office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there."

"They can’t keep us out of the forest so that’s what some of the others have done – they set up their own little search party."

"Nelson added: ‘It’s a bad deal you know. They aren’t telling us anything. We got excluded from everything."

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online
Well done ! BBM - so did this little search party find the “bike” claimed found by the husband?

I don’t. And I never said I know he killed her. I just have strong suspicion. I think most people here believe it. But they aren’t stating it as fact.

You, however, are stating your opinion as fact.
I should have said, it appears he is innocent. Nothing has pointed to him not being innocent. NADA and she still is NOT found.

RRBM

Which is why it seems strange, living in CO, to go so very far away out of state during a pandemic to go camping. It's not as if CO doesn't offer any camping sites. MOO

I agree! Assuming the camping trip was the week of May 3 -- there was brilliant weather in Colorado then. And why Idaho if the state parks and camping did not open until May 30 and a 14-day quarantine for people crossing their state line. Maybe DM got the location (Idaho) wrong!

MOO

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/salida/81201/may-weather/332185
State parks, Forest Service set campground openings

I should have said, it appears he is innocent. Nothing has pointed to him not being innocent. NADA and she still is NOT found.
How do you rationalize it "appears he is innocent" after reading everything , especially from gifted long time experienced folk here and the full weight of the law digging up his worksite and still investigating ? Feeling? His looks? His what? Give my 3 y's for example. I am still open to your idea but not convinced as to why I am open . Why?

If you are waiting for SM to be found, buckle up for a loooong ride. IF this was planned in advance, and depending on the equipment at perp’s disposal, SM may NEVER be found unless perp confesses and tells the location or someone else knows and rolls over on him.

As for “nothing has pointed to him not being innocent,” I would counter, nothing has pointed to him being innocent,” unless I take HIS word for it, and I can’t. Spouses are killing their wives/husbands on a regular basis and they generally all claim they’re innocent when they are not. LE have NOT declared him uninvolved, on the contrary, they dug up a foundation he was linked to. Not only that, they are not looking at an abduction scenario. There MUST be a reason for that. Try to remember, they have SO MUCH info we don’t. If he was having an affair, they KNOW. The sophistication of investigations in today’s digital tracking is astounding! Those of us that feel he is guilty, are going on his strange plea for his wife’s “safe” return, his encounter with TD and the question he didn’t answer, and first and foremost, the direction LE have taken in their investigation. That alone speaks volumes.

Can you tell us why exactly you distrust the direction investigators have taken in SM’s disappearance and are fixated on BM innocence when there’s nothing to show he is?

Last edited:
Here’s what the FBI told me regarding this question: This is a local investigation, not a federal one, so #SuzanneMorphew is not listed on FBI's missing persons page (even though FBI is assisting). The FBI will only post a missing person if requested by local authorities. (1/3)

2/3) As of now, local authorities have not requested to have #SuzanneMorphew put on the FBI’s missing persons list. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the future. The FBI says there’s no specific reasoning why or malicious intent behind this — it’s an administrative thing.

3/3) According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, #SuzanneMorphew remains a missing person in Colorado and other national databases.

Previous story on why little info has been released to the public: bit.ly/3cPtH0i
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1280651387785764865?s=21

You make some great points.
Are people who are put on the FBI missing person list presumed alive?
“The FBI says there’s no specific reasoning why or malicious intent behind this — it’s an administrative thing“.
How do you contact the FBI to get case specific information?

I agree! Assuming the camping trip was the week of May 3 -- there was brilliant weather in Colorado then. And why Idaho if the state parks and camping did not open until May 30 and a 14-day quarantine for people crossing their state line. Maybe DM got the location (Idaho) wrong!

MOO

BBM
Wouldn’t that be a kicker!! Given all that they have incorrectly reported, it’s absolutely a possibility! o_O

BBM
Wouldn’t that be a kicker!! Given all that they have incorrectly reported, it’s absolutely a possibility! o_O
Just like BM being on firefighter training. Could be something like DM interviews someone who said, "Oh, I think they went to Idaho." And just like that, it becomes fact.

I do find the camping trip, no matter where it occurred, to be hinky, given the rest of the circumstances.

MOO

MOO

There’s countless reasons to travel by car outside Colorado. I’ve lived in CO pretty much the last 40 years and I and many others do so on a regular basis. Many surrounding states, including Idaho are beyond beautiful with much to offer although they do not receive the same much recent hyped buzz of CO!

I do not feel there needs to be any justification for people traveling by car outside of CO, this is a bit absurd IMO. Moab, Zion, Yellowstone, Tetons, Taos, Santa Fe...just to name a few unbelievable locations that rival anywhere in CO- just jump in the car-I always do! Uncountable times every year, regardless of the weather in CO, why would that matter? Tons of great destinations outside of CO by car! Go for it! My “outdoorsy” /adventurous friends all say they are traveling MORE than ever during Covid because they are going crazy being holed up in the house/ working from home - no gyms - etc- these are active life (young) and healthy people! They are restless- and oh so bored during quarantine, they would go to the opening of an envelope! They are camping and traveling to places they would have never considered just to get OUT-!

My niece who goes to CU Boulder and is living in CO has traveled out of state multiple times by car for adventures during “quarantine”. Ummm, I don’t think that generation had been too concerned with the rules or abiding! That’s been a huge issue in the news- a lot of these kids just go about life! Also, I have two friends who own working farms/ ranches outside of CO and they have traveled weekly or bi-weekly back and forth from CO to their ranches unaffected throughout quarantine. People have continued to travel by car for both work and pleasure and everything in between from state to state without issue. RV’ing is very much alive and well too! There’s no state border patrol...lol!!

Anyhow, this seems to be such a point to dwell on here. And I hope I’ve just put it to rest. MOO, just to be keep it real. :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
If you are waiting for SM to be found, buckle up for a loooong ride.

I was literally just saying something similar to myself 30 seconds ago, reading and catching up on posts.

These missing person cases can go on and on, months, sometimes years. Anyone expecting a quick resolution is going to be disappointed. IMO

Here’s what the FBI told me regarding this question: This is a local investigation, not a federal one, so #SuzanneMorphew is not listed on FBI's missing persons page (even though FBI is assisting). The FBI will only post a missing person if requested by local authorities. (1/3)

2/3) As of now, local authorities have not requested to have #SuzanneMorphew put on the FBI’s missing persons list. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen in the future. The FBI says there’s no specific reasoning why or malicious intent behind this — it’s an administrative thing.

3/3) According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, #SuzanneMorphew remains a missing person in Colorado and other national databases.

Previous story on why little info has been released to the public: bit.ly/3cPtH0i
https://twitter.com/stephaniebutzer/status/1280651387785764865?s=21
I find this quite telling. My interpretation is local authorities do not want to officially declare her a missing person.

I think they know what happened to her and are either carefully gathering the evidence to prove it or waiting to find her.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members