Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

I attended Univ in beautiful Colorado and that state was always full of wonderful memories for me. Now I'm obsessed with the lovely mothers who started vanishing i.e., SW, KB, and now SM. Yes, we absolutely want them found and reunited with their families and if not stand vigil until justice served.

Seriously, we need a familial violence taskforce or something at this point. Obviously and unfortunately these problems are not unique to Colorado, but I think we've had enough outstandingly heinous DV and child homicides in the past decade or so to warrant an organized, statewide analysis of the problem.

Well, a random attacker might stage something to be creepy.

We had a murder in my area where items were left in a deliberate way....and it was spooky. Crime remains unsolved, but all things point to random spooky attacker. :(

Of course, I don't know if that is the case with the bike and/or other items found. We don't know much at all. Sometimes I think it was staged, other times I don't.

jmo
Agree. We don't know for a fact that this was staged.

Now I'm confused. We're allowed to sleuth the victim's address(es) on maps, and to go to her FB, but we can't use any other public information?

I thought we were allowed to gather information about victims. We are not limited to just MSM if we are allowed to talk about her FB - or am I getting this entirely wrong?
Maybe it is family wealth and not “her” wealth?

Or the opposite.

No visible damage beyond a minor defect ... even bigger mystery.
True! It would come down to the nephew’s motivations. Is he trying to help someone by getting the bike’s condition out there or is he trying to hurt someone by having the truth of the bike known? OR is he truly trying to get info from LE b/c he can’t get it himself?

I can't imagine scenario of my wife being missing and not making some kind of personal plea for her safe return especially when I had a microphone placed in my face and or was on the phone with a reporter.

Actually I'd probably be a damn rambling wreck of emotion

But I can't imagine saying "it's too soon to comment"......too soon to comment?!? My wife is missing and I have no idea what happened to her, somebody please help me find her!!!

Not here is a large reward lets see what that does and then I'll comment later

I'd be telling anybody that would listen to me (shouting probably)

I'm sorry but as @GordianKnot said there's red flags all over the place in this case

True! It would come down to the nephew’s motivations. Is he trying to help someone by getting the bike’s condition out there or is he trying to hurt someone by having the truth of the bike known? OR is he truly trying to get info from LE b/c he can’t get it himself?
Quoting myself to add:

My gut reaction is that he’s trying to help someone.

Is it important at this point to know which neighbor called?

jmo

I don't see it as important at all in that respect. I only meant to point out that "neighbor" in this area isn't the same thing as "adjacent property". Also, by road the houses are much further apart than by bird's eye view. So, let's not assume any particular house is THE "neighbor".

I APOLOGIZE TO THE THREAD:

I have been insisting their home was the one that is actually on Monarch Spur road, rather than the one that previous posters have outlined on Puma Path road (the one outlined in blue on one good photo).

However, the house is still easily reachable by a back road (not paved, I think) from Monarch Spur RV resort. And if you were staying in the RV resort for whatever reason, you would pass directly by their house on a bike or walking. Still no gate visible at the driveway. And it appears to be the most expensive and largest home in that small development off of route 225.

It also makes a quick bike trip along the Foose Creek Trail or along the route 226 dam road very easy from the home.

Last edited:
I can't find a MSM article that mentions the husband was specifically at wildfire training in Denver on 05.10.
Has it been reported that's where he says he was, and if yes, can someone share a link please?
(Entirely possible I've just missed the wording, I've read lots of articles but that wording doesn't come up)

All that has ever been mentioned in the media is that he was in Denver for training- per a family member- never mentioned which member of the family said this. The sheriff has not cleared him, nor has he stated that he was signed up for a course.

Just want to throw out there that I'm a native and have been to nearly every nook and cranny of CO, and Salida is one of my absolute favorite towns; I always feel exceptionally safe there. Chaffee County is stunning and I highly recommend it to visitors, especially anyone outdoorsy.

There's always a lot of people just passing through these towns, traveling on Highway 50 or 285, both business and pleasure. It's pretty year-round too, because there's skiing, hunting, hiking, rafting, etc.

Like anywhere rural/mountainous, there's always going to be a number of weirdos/outsiders who are "out there" for a reason. They're almost always harmless, but not always, of course.

It really comes down to this:

- Did she actually go on a bike ride last Sunday or no?
- If yes, it appears like an abduction and that has to be pursued.
- If no she never did go on a bike ride then the investigation focuses on her husband -or- someone who may have specifically targeted her and made her disappear.
- Did she run away or fake her own disappearance? (that scenario does not appear to be probable in this case)

That's it. Those are the 3 scenarios LE has to work with.

The public outside of her immediate area and maybe some surrounding areas, can't do anything. Whatever happened to her happened locally. People 1,000 mi away aren't going to find her. This is a hyper-local case where it appears she disappeared very close to her home.

I had resigned myself to believe that the husband was waiting for his story to check out with investigators tasked with verifying his activity along with other individuals last in contact with SM before coming out to stand united with LE.

Needless to say, I was so disappointed when the husband was a no-show at the presser on Friday.

He's not named a POI so now my attention is directed at a possible domestic dispute that caused the husband to leave town and he's now overwhelmed with guilt over leaving SM home alone where she may have encountered somebody with evil intentions.

Hoping SM is reunited with her family today.

MOO
Not normal to name POI until they become a suspect. Since there can be lots of POI’s in any given case. I hope she is located soon. Must be torture for family & friends.

All that has ever been mentioned in the media is that he was in Denver for training- per a family member- never mentioned which member of the family said this. The sheriff has not cleared him, nor has he stated that he was signed up for a course.

I've been looking and I can't find an article that says "for training" and it's really bugging me.
Normally I have no problem finding MSM articles but for some reason, this one is elusive.
I was sure I read that too, or something similar to that, but just cannot find it now.
:(

It really comes down to this:

- Did she actually go on a bike ride last Sunday or no?
- If yes, it appears like an abduction and that has to be pursued.
- If no she never did go on a bike ride then the investigation focuses on her husband -or- someone who may have specifically targeted her and made her disappear.
- Did she run away or fake her own disappearance? (that scenario does not appear to be probable in this case)

That's it. Those are the 3 scenarios LE has to work with.

The public outside of her immediate area and maybe some surrounding areas, can't do anything. Whatever happened to her happened locally. People 1,000 mi away aren't going to find her. This is a hyper-local case where it appears she disappeared very close to her home.
I don’t think there was a bike ride.

Hmm...that makes me think of an idea that might be "out there," but are there people who live off the land in that area, like a wanderer without a permanent home?

At this point, I'm considering anything, but I don't know if that is a possibility there, of people living in the woods, long-term style.

jmo

There are people living everywhere in the woods. All over the country. Even in places with terrible weather.

Hi @Steelslady… Nice seeing you here and seeing that we are following the same case like in the ole times. J

I considered it for sure, but I didn’t get that “feel” from her. She looks happy, active etc. on pics. When we are significantly depressed etc., people often socially withdraw and stop being active. I agree that this doesn’t rule out self-harm, but she doesn’t have that “aura” around her. I am not sure I am making sense… but working with individuals with mental health problems, I just didn’t get that from her. However, people can also put on a very effective “mask” as well… Still, self-harm, is pretty low on my list of what may have happened to Suzanne. But it’s not impossible…
I agree and you know me- I never rule on the suicide angle until I am proven wrong, and so far, I have been a couple of times. I just find it important to not always assume that because someone has depression or mental health issues, that they can't go missing at the hands of a sick person.

As you know, once someone mentions that person has been depressed or has a mental health illness, the thread always leans towards suicide after that.

It's always a pleasure posting in the same thread with you.

There are people living everywhere in the woods. All over the country. Even in places with terrible weather.
Yes, but I'm wondering about this specific place - if perhaps a wanderer (not sure the right word) is living in the wooded area, though perhaps now has moved on.

Just an "out there" idea to ponder as we wait for more info.

jmo

I don’t think there was a bike ride.
That's what LE has to determine. And they'll of course be looking for anyone who may have witnessed her out and about that Sunday, whether on her bike or just outside somewhere.

The public will not be privy to the inner workings of this or any investigation. LE will only release as much info as they feel they have to.

Case followers will naturally feel they should know what all is going on, but that won't happen, it almost never does.

LE's job is to maintain the integrity of the case while determining what happened to SM, not only solving the case, but arresting whoever did something to SM, if that's what occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME