Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll play. A couple of people here have stated why they think the daughters should NOT be paraded out for a public plea (to protect them physically and psychologically). Keeping in mind they are minor/near minors, I'd like to hear your take on what good it would do the investigation to have them come out and cry/plead in front of us?

I didn't know I was playing, but I'll go ahead and answer! I read all the comments and understand the reasoning. Can't say I disagree. My wondering was solely based on usually seeing the whole family and LE together speaking or standing in solidarity, not to be "paraded" in any way. I am used to seeing this and it seems off to me. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping to get.

Kudos to the neighbor for not creating a media circus but protecting the investigation. As much as I want to know about the neighbor's involvement, I respect the investigation and that the neighbor seems to respect it as well.

jmo
bbm
Agreed ; and LE have probably asked the neighbor not to say who called to have the neighbor do a welfare check, and also who is pushing the 'bike ride' narrative.

<modsnip: not victim friendly>

To me, that "no" shake of the head means "I can't believe I am saying this; I can't believe I am in this situation; please don't let any of this be true." It's a really common human gesture when a person is in denial or disbelief, which is how it struck me.

It's also an expression of horror.

It can be a gesture of "humbling" that is cross-cultural. When people are giving apologies or attempting to solve a problem that's beyond them, they will shake their heads to denote "I really don't know the answer," "You know more than me," "I am humbling myself before you to ask for answers that you have, that I don't have." I see this use all the time in student presentations, especially if they are asked an impromptu question.

And it occurs a lot in TV dramas (person is repeating Truth, but shakes their head because Truth is Horrifying).

It's more pronounced in some cultures and regions than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-produced and no media. I noticed that as well. A way to maintain control of the narrative?
Yes. Which is why I mentioned in another comment that I found the setting interesting. Not from in front of his home or inside but out in the beautiful woods were it’s peaceful. Just seems weird to me. MOO

How does the plea today fit in with the "it's too soon for a public appeal". Was day 7 the target, if they hadn't heard from anyone by then. BM would put out a public appeal?

Just trying to get a sense of what the families thoughts are currently. To me it seemed like BM was speaking directly to a potential kidnapper. Why do they think this?

Apparently what LE seems to think happened doesn't exactly line up with what the family thinks happened.

I'm going to trust LE on this one

Maps are not my forte - but I want to get an idea of the area of Suzanne's home towards the search area mentioned by the law enforcement.

Here is my effort so far: (using Maysville)
خرائط ‪Google

ETA:

This time, I used "Chaffee County" as a reference for Suzanne's home:

‬‏‏خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Last edited:
Okay, I think I'm finally caught up.

A couple of thoughts:

The lack of information about what she was wearing, when she was seen, and all those other questions that have been pointed out implies to me that they don't have to ask because they know that. They don't have to trace her movement or find witnesses because they know what happened.

Last fall there was a bicycle accident on a rural road not far from here (I'm in central MA) where the victim was thrown over 1ooo feet by a speeding vehicle. Given the nature of the roads she might have been on, if she had been hit in a similar accident, she could have been thrown into the woods or down a steep embankment where it's very difficult to find her.

The FBI's early involvement startled me.

There seems to be an awful lot of money involved. Lots of money tends to make people not think straight.

bbm
Agreed ; and LE have probably asked the neighbor not to say who called to have the neighbor do a welfare check, and also who is pushing the 'bike ride' narrative.

Heck, if I were the neighbor I would have changed by phone # and emails and closed FB and refuse to answer anything unless it's coming in on a secured phone given to me by the FBI.

I would be very reluctant to show my face anywhere in this area for fear the media would have found my name and info and be hounding me.

I'd also be horrified and scared. Making sure I had a good security system and a big trained dog that would alert me to anyone around.

I wouldn't even want to talk to the person that contacted me about her missing

How does the plea today fit in with the "it's too soon for a public appeal". Was day 7 the target, if they hadn't heard from anyone by then. BM would put out a public appeal?

Just trying to get a sense of what the families thoughts are currently. To me it seemed like BM was speaking directly to a potential kidnapper. Why do they think this?

If BM really believed that this was a random stranger abduction from the beginning, I would think there would have been a video released by Tuesday, and not just on facebook, reiterating the $200,000 reward for safe return, and a begging she not be hurt.

The only thing I can think of as to why the family waited so long is because LE was not sharing the state of the bike, and perhaps they needed to rule out that she wiped out and was injured or fell, or perhaps she was a casualty of a hit and run. Maybe that's why the nephew was desperate for that info. They didn't find the body, it's been a week, LE's not telling us anything, got to assume she's been taken?

I'm still open to BM believing she left him. No need to let the world know that. Just break out the camera and start with "Oh Suzanne..."

bbm
This fills me with unease.

If 200,000 isn't enough, how much more is he prepared to fork out ?
Why is this about money ?
Or isn't it ?
Or is this whole vanishing case from the start --- about money ?
Seems like an unnecessary focus on $$$.
IMO and MOO.
Perhaps that’s how he’s used to fixing things? It may just be that money is important to him so it’s his way of doing everything he can - assuming money is just as important to everyone else. If that makes sense.

Heck, if I were the neighbor I would have changed by phone # and emails and closed FB and refuse to answer anything unless it's coming in on a secured phone given to me by the FBI.

I would be very reluctant to show my face anywhere in this area for fear the media would have found my name and info and be hounding me.

I'd also be horrified and scared. Making sure I had a good security system and a big trained dog that would alert me to anyone around.

I wouldn't even want to talk to the person that contacted me about her missing
Exactly.^^^

Because whomever 'vanished' Suzanne could come after you next !
There are some people you do not want to make angry.
Js.

First reaction: family is treating this as an abduction. He looks like he is in incredible pain just having to utter those opening words. I find him convincing so far.

Which freaks me out a little, because if this is an abduction, it's almost the worst case scenario. Or actually is the worst case scenario. From my POV.

Yes, @10ofRods… I feel the same way.... He looks in agony and I don’t have that gut feeling yet that he is lying and hurt her himself. I see someone that hasn’t slept, hasn’t shaved, and has cried. He looks sleep deprived, which in itself, can completely effect communication skills, affect, and decision making. Definite possibility that I am just naïve (again), but I can’t see him being responsible (yet). :oops:

Is this an area of Colorado that would have many, many seasonal cabins like for hunting etc.?

When I was researching homes in the Puma Path area, it seems that one property in particular which has two homes on it, are owned by an out of state LLC.
I have no idea if the homes are an investment and rented out on a long term basis, or maybe listed on AirB&B?

I'm guessing you are correct, lots of rentals all year long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member