Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
$$? or $$,$$$,$$$?
Maybe it's all smoke and mirrors and there is no actual "wealth."
Maybe SM discovered that, unbeknownst to her, their monetary assets had been squandered or, worse yet, that funds had been misappropriated.
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
JMO.
@GordianKnot :) Yes, smoke & mirrors? SM & BM may or may not have the significant wealth some ppl here are imagining.

IND & COL properties w homes? IDK how they were titled (names on deeds, whether his, hers, joint, in trust, etc). Someone said they had $2,500,000 in real estate. Maybe that's FMValue of those 2 prop's, but do we know whether properties were mortgaged for 2,495,000 debt? Or not mortgaged at all. IDK.
<modsnip>
IND landscaping business? A lotta businesses these days can be managed online, but the actual landscaping itself, well, I don't think so. If that business was sold, there may or may not have bn beaucoup bucks realized. Besides, BM (and SM?) could still own it, receiving income now, deferring the capital gain from it. IDK.
There are other possible sources of $$$. To name a couple: lottery jackpot, personal injury lawsuit/settlement, or stock/mututal fund/other investments w happy endings.

W only a few scraps of info, seems some ppl are making ASSumptions one way or the other. And as @
GordianKnot astutely notes, if SM (and/or BM) had a significant amt of $ at one point, some or all of it could have been dissipated. Slowly or quickly.
Per ToS, I'm not trying to draw conclusions about their income, net worth, or other aspects of their financial lives, just pointing out the possible wide spectrum, say, $$ to $$,$$$$,$$$. jmo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is bizarre.

It's pretty clear to mean from the press conference that LE does not believe Suzanne is still alive. The sheriff's body language was quite obvious. But he didn't exactly detail anything at all the public should look for. Just submit tips. Odd.

The nephew gives me all sorts of weird vibes. He doesn't seem to be the designated family spokesperson and seems to be poking at LE, so his involvement seems a bit off.

I'm curious about their source of income and seeming wealth. Is it true the husband was a minor league professional athlete? I don't think that would be a source of such wealth, nor her families business. They don't in any way seem any sort of sketchy, but neither seems to have income that would easily explain their real estate holdings. Money is the root of so many crimes.

At any other time, I would find it very odd that Suzanne was not spending Mother's Day with family. But this is during a pandemic and she had survived cancer twice. I have to imagine she was isolating in a pretty serious way. I'm guessing when no one was able to make contact with her, that led to the neighbor's 911 call after doing a brief search for her.

My current theory is someone known to Suzanne and not a mystery to others. I've also entertained the thought of some mountain man hermit type seeing her, she's a beautiful woman, and snatching her for his companion. Didn't something like that happen in the 70s or 80s to a Olympic skier?

All of this, is of course just my opinion.

Jmo re: the nephews involvement/searches.

having been involved myself with a case listed here on WS, I can tell you this: in the beginning, state police here in PA actively stopped us from searching. State Police however, did NOT search nor did they ask SAR to search.
when I say they “actively stopped” us from starting searches on our own, I mean they threatened us with arrest. -we still searched but smaller groups.
The police thought the person just “walked away or harmed themselves”. Fast forward a month when the person didn’t Turn up but the car did they realized it was foul play involved.
The person is still not found and precious time was wasted.

I believe the "neighbor's house" is the less apparent smaller brown house in the upper left corner of the photo you show. It is farther east on Pumas Pass Road, closer to where the road meets Highway 50.

The house circled in red isn't on the same street as the Morphew home. It's across the South Arkansas river and accessed from a different street from Highway 50. It's accessed from country road 225, with the bridge that crosses South Arkanses River. This is also the road that leads to the Fooses Creek trail, along which somewhere her bike was reportedly ( mentioned here on WS) found.

From the Google streetview from Highway 50 there is an interesting sign just on the south side of PP Road. It's diamond shaped and yellow and has 4 lines of text I can't read. It might be the sign directing to the Monarch Spur Campground and RV park which is farther east along that same road.

Also, the Zillow piece on the Morphew's house mentioned a$27 a month HOA, and I found that strange. I'm not sure what that $324 a year would be for other than maybe a Post Office Box or taxes on the HOA. It looks like there might be other buildable lots on that street. That money certainly isnt paying for snow removal or a gate or much else.

It's kinda a nice area to recreate in. I'd be happy renting a place there for a couple of weeks in the summer, or maybe in the winter for some backcountry skiing. But I wouldn't want a giant home there. I'd want a more cabin-y experience. It's just too remote and their road is too easily accessed from Highway 50 without anyone noticing.

First, I'm on page 9 of this second thread, but as of this morning, we do not know where the bike was found. We do not know where exactly on Hwy 50 the other items were found, unless that information is disclosed in pages 9-20 of this thread, as I write this post.

Herat, I think you might be turned around a bit.

Osu's map has the Morphew house circled in red. Below is a map copied from the Chaffee County Assessor's website. It is oriented so north is up, which Osu's map was not, but his comments about spatial relationships between houses is correct. The large windows on the "backside" of the Morphew house face north, look over the river and Hwy 50 to the mountain range beyond.

The two closest neighbors, as the crow flies, to the Morphew house are across the South Arkansas River, and the three houses make a fairly equidistant triangle. Those other two homes use an access road directly off of Hwy 50, which is NOT the same access road as to the Morphew house. The Morphew house driveway is off of County Hwy 225, which connects with Hwy 50 further west of those two neighbors' access road.

The HOA fees may well pay for snow removal and other road maintenance, depending on how many lots are in the subdivision, and how many lots are sold and homes built in the Monarch River Estates III Rosi subdivision. Morphews own Lots 6B and 6C. According to the Chaffee County Assessor information, the subdivision has nine landowners listed, but I'm not sure if that is the entirety of the subdivision. And I don't know if the three Monarch River subdivisions, and another three with Monarch in their subdivision name, pool HOA monies. We pay $1200 a year to our rural subdivision road fund, along with the other subdivision landowners, which covers road maintenance--upkeep, snow removal, gravel, etc.

Morphew property highlighted in cyan.

upload_2020-5-16_12-57-1.jpeg

Assessor

I don't usually spend time on details like this, but the location and the surroundings of the Morphew home, and maybe some of the information, seems pertinent in this case.

It occurs to me as I have been reading along that I have assumed that the bike is a pedal driven dirt bike. But now I ask, is it a motorized ATV sort of trail bike that would aggravate ecological purists out on the trail? I ask this after seeing the article about vandalizing trails with the nail boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy