Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's how long you've been married, but the kind of marriage you have. I don't believe my marriage, which is the only one I can safely refer to, has the possibility that I may end up dead at the hands of my spouse. We don't have guns in the house, neither of us are physically imposing, we each have our own money sources with which we contribute to the household but also maintain independent accounts, neither of us are religious, we have a love of animals, we both come from small immigrant families where we were basically the only ones who emigrated to Canada, we (mostly) like the same kind of music (except when he plays Pink Floyd continually when he's working on the house), we argue, but that's an outlet rather than a build up to violence. We agree on the important things but have wildly differing opinions on non-essentials.

I never gave up my independence to become a wife. I never gave up having a job outside the home. I liked to work. I will always have my own bank account. Before I became a wife and a mother I was me. I wasn't an army brat but I went to 17 schools before I graduated. Always being the new kid in school has a tendency to force you to adapt.

I can safely say the relationship I have with my spouse sounds like it's light years away from the M's marriage. I wonder how many times someone said to Suzanne, "Tell us how you really feel."

The only thing I can't profess to know about is the issue of a terminal illness entering the picture. It seems the law of averages is against me because it appears many men can't adjust to the role of nurturer/caretaker plus I've seen it first hand with some coworkers. Based on the effectiveness of my husband trying to 'help' when we want to trim our cats' claws, it's not looking rosy.
Thank you for taking the time to give your perspective. We have much in common. For starters, moving a lot as a child <modsnip>
I realize that I have not articulated very well my feelings about of odds of a marriage of 27 years ending in murder. Obviously it happens, but I am having trouble seeing it in the case of the Ms. Not enough facts, really, for me to go on. But, I’m glad that I asked the question of the Websluethers with lengthy marriages, I enjoyed what everyone offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOO there aren't any perfect families, because there aren't any perfect humans. Life is messy, and the more people gush on social media, the more suspicious I am about how "perfect" a life they have. AMOO

Amen to your statement about social media. I stopped posting on mine in 2017 because I had complications from a surgery and couldn’t stand the facade people put on. My family excluded, they are real to me.

I don’t know- dammed if you do and damned if you don’t about the first part- speaking up and out to defend yourself, reach out to LS. Put yourself out there- face the inevitable scrutiny- I don’t know!! People are very judgmental of me for a plethora of reasons, I would be entirely hesitant to go public if I was involved with anything garnering media attention- based on life experiences, I would be crucified- most likely hated on sight and just RIPPED- there would be nothing I could do right- even if I were guilty of absolutely nothing- I would not put myself up for public lambasting and dissecting-

Often, I’m honestly afraid to voice my thoughts and feelings here -

How many of us, honestly would post away here, freely as many do if we were not anonymous? What if starting right now we had to pull back the green curtain and show ourselves- ? Post as ourselves verified on SM or the like, with our real photos and information available...?????

:):):)

Lastly- guess it was a slick move going berserk on the boss- big payoff indeed! Question, premeditated or crime of passion? ;);););););)

BBM - You definitely have to put your armor on to post on here some days. Social media is an even more dangerous place to expose yourself. And it is getting worse. Slander and hate abounds. Thank you for your post.

BBM and IMO, in general:

- Do what LE requests. If you (the general you, not specific to any one poster) have specific information related to the missing person case, call the tip line.
- Trust the experts who are working the case.
- Don't interfere with the investigation or anything LE is doing.
- Don't start or spread rumors (I'm not saying anyone here is doing that).
- Pray, if that's of comfort.
- Get involved in helping with one of the cold cases on WS in the meantime. There are many cases, and smart, creative minds could be of assistance.

It's a big world out there and this case is discussed in many other places. Do a Google search if you need reinforcement. There is attention on this case. Most importantly, CO LE and related agencies who are assisting have not forgotten, have not given up, continue to work the case, and this is not considered a cold case.

Again, IMO.

The case I mentioned is very different. It is very cold and lesser-known one. Proactive as I was, there is nothing to be done as of today. It is not any well-known case, but it is on the WS. I can only hope that one day, things might change for that (disappeared) person. Thanks for your advices, though, I understand that you assumed I spoke about SM. I did not, and most of the advises are too early to consider, but I understand that they were given in sincerity.

Last edited:
I don't think the assumption is that a reward will cause the bad guy themselves to bring information to LE, but that it would motivate others -- potential witnesses -- to think more carefully about what they might have seen or overheard etc. So the money isn't presumed to go to the perp. If a reward prompts someone to check their dashcam or to call in that odd sighting they think is "probably nothing", wouldn't her family want that? Even if it doesn't save her life, but if it allows them to find her body, to have certainty/closure about whatever happened?

IMO, "safe return" is for known kidnapping situations. But for other situations, including just plain accidents, "any information leading to finding her" makes more sense.

IMO JMO MOO

Absolutely, that is what I thought all along, a plea to her kidnapper. I don’t think the reward offer necessarily needs to be reworded.
Most people do not need a reward to motivate them. However, a change the wording removes the incentive for a kidnapper to keep her alive.
At this point, it also implies loss of hope, something SMs entire family may find hard to accept.
IMO if someone came forward w/ legItimate information, one way or the other, there would be some reward.
IMO, this reward was a desperate attempt to get the attention, of a possible kidnapper. Ransom is widely used in fiction and theater, but less often in reality. MOO
Kidnapping for ransom is pretty far down on my list, but I wouldn’t say I wouldn’t consider it if I were in similar situation. It actually has a slight chance for a good outcome.

Absolutely, that is what I thought all along, a plea to her kidnapper. I don’t think the reward offer necessarily needs to be reworded.
Most people do not need a reward to motivate them. However, a change the wording removes the incentive for a kidnapper to keep her alive.
At this point, it also implies loss of hope, something SMs entire family may find hard to accept.
IMO if someone came forward w/ legItimate information, one way or the other, there would be some reward.
IMO, this reward was a desperate attempt to get the attention, of a possible kidnapper. Ransom is widely used in fiction and theater, but less often in reality. MOO
Kidnapping for ransom is pretty far down on my list, but I wouldn’t say I wouldn’t consider it if I were in similar situation. It actually has a slight chance for a good outcome.

Why, do you think, has BM not been able to persuade LE that SM has been likely kidnapped (if you think that's what he believes happened?

Because LE clearly is not behaving as if they consider that a possible explanation. IMO

I agree, most people with information about a missing person or kidnapped person don't need a reward to convince them to come forward. I think the intent of rewards is to cause people to search their memory to see if maybe they DO remember any details that might be relevant, that they hadn't put in that category before.

Well, let’s pretend BM IS your client and he has made an offer of $210,000 for SM’s safe return. Would you advise against him altering his reward offer to “any information leading to the recovery of SM, dead or alive?” Let’s be honest, the chances of SM being alive are slim to none. JMO

Well, first, I'd want to see verification that the $210,000 actually exists. Ideally, it would be placed in an escrow account with a local bank or credit union.

After that, I'd have no problem with a family member -- not my client -- announcing that the reward would be provided for information that leads to finding Suzanne. However, I'd probably hold off until day 90 (around August 10) for the announcement & couch the "broadening" of the reward conditions being due to the elapsed time.

But, one of his family is NOT the face of public appearances.
BTW, my question was mostly rhetorical. I understand your defense attorney stance.
We are here to try to decipher how SM disappeared. If you think as a juror or investigator would, would you still be defending this man, or any man in this particular situation?
Or, how about a person you loved who went missing? Would you have no opinion other than a defense attorney's or even a once prosecutor's? I think you might. Just supposing here.
IMO

It's difficult to remove my defense attorney "hat" because I wear it every day (clients call even on weekends & holidays). :D

If I was a juror -- at this particular point -- I'd find Barry Morphew not guilty. There's simply been no information provided linking him to Suzanne's disappearance. Indeed, there's currently no proof that Suzanne is even deceased.

If I was an investigator or still a prosecutor, I'd certainly keep Barry Morphew in mind as a possible target. More than anything, I'd want to know what his motive may be: cui bono? I'd probably employ a forensic accountant to comb through the Morphew financial records to see if Suzanne's disappearance somehow benefitted Barry. I'd also minutely examine phone records to determine if there's another person who may be involved romantically with either Morphew or with the Morphew daughters.

If I had a loved one who went missing, I'd certainly do everything I could to find him or her. I'd certainly make sure that posters were distributed, Facebook groups were updated, grid searches were conducted, and any leads were documented. However, I'd also want the "face" of the family to be somebody who wouldn't be put under a microscope, lest that scrutiny detract from the actual work of finding my loved one. That's why I'd want a sibling, cousin or aunt with a solid alibi to be the spokesman. Of course, I can't guarantee that every person in the same situation would or should take the same actions because everyone reacts differently to trauma.

Q3. What evidence did BM/atty present to support BM's claim that she could not be located?

Good question. The Petition to establish the guardianship asks the court to take judicial notice of the search for Suzanne, presumably because her disappearance had played out in the media already. "Judicial notice" of "facts" in Indiana consists of either (a) facts that are well known in the court's jurisdiction (i.e. there's an I-69 exit at 116th Street in Hamilton County) or (b) facts that "can be accurately and readily determined from sources whose accuracy cannot reasonably be questioned." Given all the media attention that Suzanne's disappearance received, it wasn't unreasonable to ask Judge Casati to take judicial notice of the disappearance and search.

Well, first, I'd want to see verification that the $210,000 actually exists. Ideally, it would be placed in an escrow account with a local bank or credit union.

After that, I'd have no problem with a family member -- not my client -- announcing that the reward would be provided for information that leads to finding Suzanne. However, I'd probably hold off until day 90 (around August 10) for the announcement & couch the "broadening" of the reward conditions being due to the elapsed time.
I like all of this. 90 days isnt "too soon" to give the media something to report on and circulate SM's story again.
Another question for you, if you don't mind. What is your opinion on LE and/or Crime Stoppers not offering their own reward for information (leading to arrest, or finding Suzanne)? CS almost always at least offers a small reward. Is it possibly because they know enough that they don't have to "pay" for info.?

It's difficult to remove my defense attorney "hat" because I wear it every day (clients call even on weekends & holidays). :D

If I was a juror -- at this particular point -- I'd find Barry Morphew not guilty. There's simply been no information provided linking him to Suzanne's disappearance. Indeed, there's currently no proof that Suzanne is even deceased.

If I was an investigator or still a prosecutor, I'd certainly keep Barry Morphew in mind as a possible target. More than anything, I'd want to know what his motive may be: cui bono? I'd probably employ a forensic accountant to comb through the Morphew financial records to see if Suzanne's disappearance somehow benefitted Barry. I'd also minutely examine phone records to determine if there's another person who may be involved romantically with either Morphew or with the Morphew daughters.

If I had a loved one who went missing, I'd certainly do everything I could to find him or her. I'd certainly make sure that posters were distributed, Facebook groups were updated, grid searches were conducted, and any leads were documented. However, I'd also want the "face" of the family to be somebody who wouldn't be put under a microscope, lest that scrutiny detract from the actual work of finding my loved one. That's why I'd want a sibling, cousin or aunt with a solid alibi to be the spokesman. Of course, I can't guarantee that every person in the same situation would or should take the same actions because everyone reacts differently to trauma.
BBM
This is where I think there might be motive. However, I'm not sure where you're going with a romantic involvement with one of the daughters. Could you please elaborate your thoughts on this? tia

Until they have sufficient evidence to charge and convict him, i still say the husband is not guilty.

I think Barry is most likely guilty but I wouldn’t consider even supporting a possible trial/and or charges to test the waters, that's not how our justice system works. We have zero evidence to speak of, we recognize we are working on supposition based on what little information has been made available.

Conviction(?) way premature, without an abundance of clear and convincing evidence, I don't believe anyone in the group would want to see that, this is not a lynch mob mentality.

My guess is the people here, who lean towards Barry’s guilt feel the same way.

Last edited:
I think Barry is most likely guilty but I wouldn’t consider even supporting a possible trial to test the waters. We have zero evidence to speak of, we recognize we are working on supposition based on what little information has been made available.

Conviction(?) way premature, without an abundance of clear and convincing evidence, I don't believe anyone in the group would want to see that, this is not a lynch mob mentality.

My guess is the people here, who lean towards Barry’s guilt feel the same way.
Yes, you speak for me here. This is where my faith in LE comes in. Spezze knew from the beginning this was bigger than his department, which gives me a lot of confidence in him. And this is all too familiar to CBI and FBI, sadly. I would love to be way wrong and find out BM is innocent, especially for the girls' sake. The only thing that would disappoint me is if no conviction ever happened, but I dont see that being the case here.

I like all of this. 90 days isnt "too soon" to give the media something to report on and circulate SM's story again.
Another question for you, if you don't mind. What is your opinion on LE and/or Crime Stoppers not offering their own reward for information (leading to arrest, or finding Suzanne)? CS almost always at least offers a small reward. Is it possibly because they know enough that they don't have to "pay" for info.?

I think you would have to ask the man in charge of the Chaffee County Crime Stoppers, who would be Sheriff John Spezze.
Chaffee County Crime Stoppers does not maintain a website of their own, but use an FB social media page. Simply search FB for the name as I have stated it, and you will see that the organization has been advertising for tips called to their 719-539-7299 phone number since Monday May 11, 2020. IMO
Crime Stoppers - Chaffee County Sheriff

I think you would have to ask the man in charge of the Chaffee County Crime Stoppers, who would be Sheriff John Spezze.
Chaffee County Crime Stoppers does not maintain a website of their own, but use an FB social media page. Simply search FB for the name as I have stated it, and you will see that the organization has been advertising for tips called to their 719-539-7299 phone number since Monday May 11, 2020. IMO
Crime Stoppers - Chaffee County Sheriff
Tips, yes. Reward, no - and was the topic of discussion which led to my question to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot