Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is this person TD? I know he’s the one who recorded BM, but there’s very little info about him anywhere. I am not very trusting when total strangers pop onto the scene of a tragic situation who can turn that tragedy into a monetary gain. MOO
BBM
I’m not too concerned about TD or whether or not he’s making a few bucks on what he’s doing. Next to LS, he’s the best we’ve seen on this case. Besides, MSM turn tragedy into monetary gain each and every day. JMHO

Who is this person TD? I know he’s the one who recorded BM, but there’s very little info about him anywhere. I am not very trusting when total strangers pop onto the scene of a tragic situation who can turn that tragedy into a monetary gain. MOO
Regardless of his motive, which is absolutely related to monetary gain/fame. He didn't force BM to talk or reveal any details. Matter of fact, he did a great job of letting BM lead the direction of the conversation.

Regardless of whether you think TD is a good guy or not, we learned about BM through his own free-flowing words. Although the circumstances of right time, right place, feel a bit hinky, I would be surprised if it was a set-up.

Apparently the chemo friend thought it was noteworthy BM was only at chemo one time with SM to mention it in the interview. Assessing the behavior of a “husband of 25+ years” is something I have experience with having been married for longer than that and going through a similar circumstances with medical. My husband insisted on being with me which I gladly accepted. That’s what you do if you are in a loving committed relationship after all those years! It’s not “expected”. It’s just the way it is for most long term married couples.
Of course, MOO from my own experience and observations of my own family members as well as friends in similar cases.
People make note of various things and judge them. Tis the way of the world.

My experiences have been what they are, which is humans can react in ways that don't align with my own or someone else's expectations and it just might not mean what I think it means.

IMO

You could say the same thing of anyone reporting on this story or discussing it on their channel..all are opportunists. My own opinion of TD is that he knew there was interest in the story and went to see what he could find out. He has a non threatening way so people tend to talk to him. My impression is more that he stumbles onto things.

IMO and from personal experience, you are making an assumption that isn't universally true, even if you think it should be.

Example: My father, now deceased, was very compassionate and caring and yet, at the same time, could not *emotionally* handle certain things. For instance, when my brother died. My father couldn't even be in the main room for his funeral (and my brother's body wasn't even in that casket as he was already loaded into the hearse to go to the cemetery). When my mother was taken to the hospital for a sudden brain bleed and was admitted to ICU, my father stayed in the waiting room, queasy and not doing well. My mother worried about him because she knew how he was.

Humans are complex, emotions are complex, what people can handle are complex. BM did attend at least one chemo session with his wife, that this witness personally saw. He wasn't cheery or outgoing or necessarily friendly, but he did make it there. Maybe SM saw how hard it was for him and asked the daughters to attend. Or maybe she just didn't want to be around him at all. I don't know, and neither does anyone else here.
RBBM
Yes, I do think it should be true. It should not be on the sick or dying person to hold their loved ones hand and tell them it’s all right to leave them alone when they’re facing life’s greatest challenge.
Yes, many people are emotionally weak. My best friend is one of the most emotional persons I know. He cries at sad cartoons. He fell apart when his wife was dying of cancer. He would stand outside her room bawling like a baby, then he would pull himself together and go in there with a smile on his face to sit with her for hours. When he came out he would be mentally and physically exhausted, on the verge of collapse. He would go home and come back the next day to do it all over again. Right up until the day she died.
If you can’t be there for someone in their time of greatest need because you can’t handle it, it’s about you, not the person who needs you. In my years in LE I’ve seen all manner of death and maiming, things no person should have to see. I’ve seen the reactions of their loved ones when they’ve learned their fate. There’s been shock, some have had to sedated and hospitalized, but no matter how hard it was, they found some inner strength to go their loved ones side.
BM, mister Big Man, he’s a FF, he’s a hunter, he’s trained in EMS, he’s big and buff, but it’s too hard to sit by his wife with cancer while she’s receiving treatment and it’s “too soon” to plead for her life when she’s disappeared off the face of the earth.
So it is true, some people can’t handle the tough things in life, but I won’t excuse them for it. It’s like anything else, you can do it if you put your mind to it.
MOO

Friends Say Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew and Husband Barry Seemed Like ‘Good, Model Family’

July 23, 2020 11:00 AM

Before Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew disappeared during a bike ride on Mother's Day, everything in her life seemed to be going well.

"That [family structure] where the husband loves being the provider and the wife loves being the homemaker— they fit that to a T," longtime friend Jeff Isles tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.

But now Morphew, a mom-of-two, is missing, having vanished on a bike ride on May 10. While her bike and a "personal item" were recovered during a search of an area near her Maysville home, little else is known about Morphew's disappearance.

"They're close— a good model family," Isles says of Morphew and her husband and their two daughters, Mallory and Macy.

I do believe he was in on it...doesn't make TD evil but I think he sought it out as a jumpstart for this new career/hobby of his. I think they met the day before and planned it out with no strings attached, kind of like...no questions asked. It served both of their purposes. I think that's why now, later you hear all the ambivalence on behalf of Tyson.

Draper admits that he was not honest with Morphew when he said his camera wasn’t recording. But he also said he didn’t think Morphew believed him.

“He saw the red light was on. He knew it was on,” Draper said.

“He was watching me like a hawk. I saw him look right at it.”

Barry and Tyson both knew the game...
I trust your opinion so I'll consider what you are saying.

People make note of various things and judge them. Tis the way of the world.

My experiences have been what they are, which is humans can react in ways that don't align with my own or someone else's expectations and it just might not mean what I think it means.

IMO
Just so you know. Your posts are the primary cause of my flip-flopping in this case. I type one thing, feel it's a solid thought. Then read your post and I'm back on the other side of the fence.

RBBM
Yes, I do think it should be true.

{snipped for space}

So it is true, some people can’t handle the tough things in life, but I won’t excuse them for it. It’s like anything else, you can do it if you put your mind to it.
MOO

You won't excuse other people for how they handle or don't handle tough things in life? Okay. Good to know.

IMO

So, I'm one of those pesky fence sitters :eek:;), I can see why things point to BM and do accept he is certainly coming across as mighty suspicious in his behaviours etc. but I am struggling as to the reason why he would harm his wife and the mother of his children - I mean they have been together a REALLY long time and would have faced some struggles during their time together. I did some reading on husbands killing their wives, and found some interesting things (interesting to me anyway) I read a number of articles/news articles/papers etc. one from the CDC (why does the Centre of Disease Control do studies on spousal killings? genuine question ) and from what I gathered women who co-habit are more likely to be killed than married women - 9 out of 10 co-habiting women, a married man is more likely to kill a 'mistress' particularly if they are younger and pregnant, the women would be most likely under 40, financial gain isn't always a motivator but jealousy if the wife wanted to move on was quite a big motivator - I did find that interesting, particularly in light of SM's illness and previous thoughts/opinions on here of her re-evaluating things, that made me think that SM wanted to re-direct her life and BM wasn't happy with the idea?
I read something by Dr Moncton Smith (Criminology Expert) - some of the British W/Sleuthers will know of her I would have thought - she stated there was an '8 stage pattern' that Uroxicide (think I spelt that correctly) follows - there was some points for discussion in there I feel such as 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 (although I am unclear whether some of them could be discussed here as we don't know what they were like and what relationship dynamics were when they first met etc. and as this was on BBC News - I don't know if its verified?). I am not too tech savvy though and cant seem to copy the links properly - just my thoughts, thanks for letting me share and sorry if I bored any of you :).

One reason CDC studies spousal homicide and violence is that it's related to mental illness. In fact, there are DSM categories that correlate with both perps and victims. Mental illness is real, it has biological substrates, it is not easy to recognize or treat.

Victims, likewise, often exhibit biophysical symptoms (such as depression or anxiety). CDC also studies things like how many people take anxiolytics, their sex, their age, their marital status, etc.

It's interesting that the number of couples co-habiting and not married is increasing, in general. I'm glad the article noted pregnancy as a risk factor (which is another reason for CDC to study this all too common pattern). Is there something biological that triggers aggression in males, when partners are pregnant? Heck, it's sounding like lions or grizzly bears, there. Maybe it's the same reason - the females are preoccupied and put the baby/babies first, pretty much go their own way without much need for The Male. Of course, lion and bear fathers are way less likely to harm a female, as the females are more than capable of fighting back and inflicting damage.

Thanks for posting the Monckton Smith reference, here's the list from her work:

The eight steps she discovered in almost all of the 372 killings she studied were:
  • A pre-relationship history of stalking or abuse by the perpetrator
  • The romance developing quickly into a serious relationship
  • The relationship becoming dominated by coercive control
  • A trigger to threaten the perpetrator's control - for example, the relationship ends or the perpetrator gets into financial difficulty
  • Escalation - an increase in the intensity or frequency of the partner's control tactics, such as by stalking or threatening suicide
  • The perpetrator has a change in thinking - choosing to move on, either through revenge or by homicide
  • Planning - the perpetrator might buy weapons or seek opportunities to get the victim alone
  • Homicide - the perpetrator kills his or her partner, and possibly hurts others such as the victim's children
Abuse can be quite subtle (my ex used to grab my leg above my knee and squeeze really hard, leaving a pattern of finger-shaped bruises - but unless I was wearing shorts or a short dress, no one would have seen - one friend did see, tried to bring it up - I was too embarrassed to discuss it). Our romance did develop quickly into a serious relationship, that's what I was taught to do by church and family. I actually thought God was in charge of my feelings and my relationships and that there was a "reason" that God had directed me toward a particular person.

Suzanne may have simply outgrown the relationship and found herself empowered enough to go outside the relationship - and I don't mean an affair (although that's possible). I mean that she may have been finding friends and interests that excluded BM. When I got to that stage of leaving, my ex was very jealous of any friend I made, made it practically impossible for me to have friends. It took me a while to realize he was afraid I'd start talking to my friends about our home life...which in fact I eventually did and the relationship crumbled rapidly thereafter (we were together for 18 years). We got to the 5th bullet point. Ex threatened to kill me but so far as I know, was unable to get a plan together. We had no guns and I don't think he would have known how to use one very well, even if he had acquired one.

Just so you know. Your posts are the primary cause of my flip-flopping in this case. I type one thing, feel it's a solid thought. Then read your post and I'm back on the other side of the fence.
LOL, sorry!

FYI, I'm not on *any* fence, which perhaps is confounding. I evaluate someone's guilt based on evidence. Actual evidence as gathered by LE, and as witness testimony in a trial. I try and look at a case as a jury would be asked and that means based on facts of the case. I don't assume someone is innocent since I'm not in a court of law, but I also don't assume someone is guilty based on others' opinions either.

I'm in a "wait and see" mode while acknowledging LE is certainly looking at BM, likely building a case, and I continue to have faith in LE's efforts to get to the truth, which is what I really want, along with justice for the victim. That means I have to wait longer to learn what LE has discovered. That angers some folks, but I don't care. Wanting to see evidence in any criminal case is, IMO, a logical and reasonable way to proceed, and that's the way I've decided to approach criminal cases.

IMO

Last edited:
RBBM
Yes, I do think it should be true. It should not be on the sick or dying person to hold their loved ones hand and tell them it’s all right to leave them alone when they’re facing life’s greatest challenge.
Yes, many people are emotionally weak. My best friend is one of the most emotional persons I know. He cries at sad cartoons. He fell apart when his wife was dying of cancer. He would stand outside her room bawling like a baby, then he would pull himself together and go in there with a smile on his face to sit with her for hours. When he came out he would be mentally and physically exhausted, on the verge of collapse. He would go home and come back the next day to do it all over again. Right up until the day she died.
If you can’t be there for someone in their time of greatest need because you can’t handle it, it’s about you, not the person who needs you. In my years in LE I’ve seen all manner of death and maiming, things no person should have to see. I’ve seen the reactions of their loved ones when they’ve learned their fate. There’s been shock, some have had to sedated and hospitalized, but no matter how hard it was, they found some inner strength to go their loved ones side.
BM, mister Big Man, he’s a FF, he’s a hunter, he’s trained in EMS, he’s big and buff, but it’s too hard to sit by his wife with cancer while she’s receiving treatment and it’s “too soon” to plead for her life when she’s disappeared off the face of the earth.
MOO
Your insight is so helpful IMO @OldCop - and I've thought from the very beginning there was an arrogance about him - and his behavior we've learned from Laurens' reporting and interviews has only confirmed this to me.
JMO

RBBM
MOO
THANK YOU isn't enough!

FYI, I'm not on *any* fence, which perhaps is confounding. I evaluate someone's guilt based on evidence. Actual evidence as gathered by LE, and as witness testimony in a trial. I try and look at a case as a jury would be asked and that means based on facts of the case. I don't assume someone is innocent since I'm not in a court of law, but I also don't assume someone is guilty based on others' opinions either. I'm in a "wait and see" mode while acknowledging LE is certainly looking at BM and likely building a case and continuing to have faith in LE's efforts.
Yeah, the fence is a description of my POV in this case not of yours. After posting in the same forums for a number of years, I know this ^^^^^^^^^^ about you.
Anyway, it was sorta meant to be a compliment ...

You won't excuse other people for how they handle or don't handle tough things in life? Okay. Good to know.

IMO
In Barry’s case he was the large and in charge big man of the family. Only problem with having perpetrated that facade, is that he didn’t lead and protect the family. His persona is false. He’s a paper tiger.

IMO

It’s a lot of assumptions from a little information. Just one different perspective—my own mother was fine during the actual chemo treatment. It was later that day, and the following days, when she felt ill and needed my dad around. So for her (one person), it made more sense to go to the chemo treatments while my dad worked, so he could be home with her while she was sick.

There is a lot of variation among chemo treatments, and people. IMO, MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member