Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not say that I had knowledge of where the bike was. What I said was that I had confirmed, using TD's video, the direction of the sun / shadows, and the counting of BM's distinctive steps to confirm that the location was exactly the same as the spot placed on the map on the Profiling Evil interview by our favorite journalist LS (at 8:48 in the linked presentation), who was taken to the spot by TD
The screenshot from that link shows a white rectangles where LS placed it. The red dot marks CR 225, and the broken light line from top left corner to bottom right corner is the South Arkansas River. The gravel area at the top center is the access to the Colorado Trail head, where TD's video interview of BM ended.
Dave F. I think you quoted the wrong person? I haven’t quoted you or any bike replies lately.

Hold it. “It’s becoming fairly obvious it checked out?”

Obviously he did talk to law enforcement early on. How did they respond?

Didn’t handle this as an abduction.

Searched his home on two separate occasions, with two separate warrants.

Seized his phone and vehicle.

Excavated a construction site he worked on.

The sheriff threw shade at him: “...hope he continues to cooperate.”

Every single thing they have done, has BM as the focus.

What makes you think his story checked out?

It's been 76 days, far beyond world record sluggishness for LE checking of a very simple alibi. The result? Zip. Zilch, Nada. IMO

Last edited:
It's been 86 days, far beyond world record sluggishness for LE checking of a very simple alibi. The result? Zip. Zilch, Nada. IMO
In a no-body case, that’s like a minute.

I’m stunned that people actually expect an arrest this early. Berreth and Stauch were massive exceptions to the rule.

If you think 86 days is a long time, just wait a while. Dulos took 7 months, and I’ve seen cases with a body and a strong suspect, take years.

This isn’t tv.

In a no-body case, that’s like a minute.

I’m stunned that people actually expect an arrest this early. Berreth and Stauch were massive exceptions to the rule.

If you think 86 days is a long time, just wait a while. Dulos took 7 months, and I’ve seen cases with a body and a strong suspect, take years.

This isn’t tv.
Who’s the DA? Do we know much about their tendency to charge a person in a murder case? I know it used to be Molly Chilson. Very interesting due to the fact she did not want to bring the Beverly England case to a grand jury. That’s another Salida murder mystery case. Sheriff Spezze has been working that case.

DA's Resignation Could Change Course Of Cold Case Murder Investigation

Last edited:
It's been 86 days, far beyond world record sluggishness for LE checking of a very simple alibi. The result? Zip. Zilch, Nada. IMO

What makes you think they have nothing?

We have very few murders in my town, but we had a shocking case of a 16 yo killing his mother a few years back. LE investigated for 15 months before arrest, even though he was the suspect from day 1. And the kid was in the high school the whole time. Winning awards, in fact.

It takes time to build a case. And when the arrest will be heartbreaking to the family, there is extra pressure to be extremely thorough.

In this case, the alibi is anything but simple. Alibi for when is likely the first question.

MOO

Who’s the DA? Do we know much about their tendency to charge a person in a murder case? I know it used to be Molly Chilson. Very interesting due to the fact she did not want to bring the Beverly England case to a grand jury. That’s another Salida murder mystery case. Sheriff Spezze has been working that case.

DA's Resignation Could Change Course Of Cold Case Murder Investigation

I've commented about this subject a few times, because I think it's both relevant and important.

The current DA in the 11th Judicial District was appointed by the Governor of CO last year when Chilson resigned. She does not appear to have any prior prosecutorial experience:
New district attorney says public safety is top priority

I honestly don't see this as being a case for an inexperienced DA to be cutting her teeth on, especially as it looks to be shaping up to be a no-body prosecution.

Elections are in November. There's a former prosecutor in that district running against the interim appointee:
2 running for DA in Colorado's 11th Judicial District

I think it makes a difference as to how this case goes, and whether/when we'll see charges filed.

Barring SM's remains being found, I don't think we'll see charges in this case until after the upcoming election.

I have complete confidence in Sheriff Spezze.
But he's not the one who would be responsible for prosecuting this case in front of a jury.

So there's that.

JMO.

Last edited:
I've commented about this subject a few times.

The current DA in the 11th Judicial District was appointed by the Governor of CO last year when Chilson resigned. She does not appear to have any prior prosecutorial experience.

I honestly don't see this as being a case for an inexperienced DA to be cutting her teeth on, especially as it looks to be shaping up to be a no-body prosecution.

Elections are in November. There's a former prosecutor in that district running against this current appointee.

I think it makes a difference as to how this case goes, and whether/when we'll see charges filed.

Barring SM's remains being found, I don't think we'll see charges in this case until after the upcoming election.

This case necessitates an experienced prosecutor.

JMO.
I agree. Just posted a YouTube interview of her. Not impressed. Seems her previous boss had no idea she was leaving that same week? Did I understood that right?

Concern for finding Suzanne:

In disposing of her body, what if the perpetrator was savvy enough to leave his phone elsewhere or remove the battery from his phone; and he was smart enough to drive a vehicle that didn’t have GPS tracking? How can LE find her? Does it come down to traffic cameras and other video?

The needle in the haystack aspect of it is discouraging.

IMO

Does a bicycle have GPS tracking? Asking for a friend.

It would be easy to use a bicycle up to a certain point and then take a friend’s car.

@Dave F. , since you seem to be convinced Barry is not responsible, who do you think is? I've very curious as you seem to drop cryptic hints, but I'm terrible at subtlety, so that doesn't help me at all.
Sorry, TOS strictly prohibits sleuthing members of the victim's family, witnesses and POI's not previously identified by LE or MSM.

BBM

I would guess speaking to her family who live in the state where Suzanne grew up and lived all of her adult life, other than the two most recent years in CO, would be a fairly standard move in a missing person investigation. To find out if maybe she traveled back there, and to find background about Suzanne from people who knew her that were not her immediate family of husband and daughters. I don't think there is anything strange or questionable about that at all. I would consider it strange if LE didn't talk to people in IN, IMO.

Exactly.

Where did this whole idea that Barry is some sort of introvert come from?

Could be mine, but I did not say he was. I said, “even if he were introverted”, when commenting on his unusual behavior after SM disappeared. I just put myself into the shoes of the person whose partner disappeared, and realized how nonchalant his conversation was. Then I thought, what if he was introverted and unable to express predicted emotions? Because heck, even if it was the case of love long gone, but SM truly disappeared, he should have been apprehensive of any stranger. Or any mountain lion, for that matter.

He is not introverted, however, he behaves like a hospitable owner, and it is situation-incongruent. If SM were abducted.

But BM also worked with young men, crews of young men, so he should be able to handle them. So he does it. He takes TD away from certain spot. My assumption. He had it all planned, it seems.

P.S. Until accused, BM is innocent with statistically, 53% chance of being the perpetrator. But BM came in a car, with mom. So I wonder if TD was, unbeknownst to himself, standing close to some spot, and the goal of this meeting and conversation was to walk him away from it. TD probably went home to his YouTube channel after that.

Last edited:
I did not say that I had knowledge of where the bike was. What I said was that I had confirmed, using TD's video, the direction of the sun / shadows, and the counting of BM's distinctive steps to confirm that the location was exactly the same as the spot placed on the map on the Profiling Evil interview by our favorite journalist LS (at 8:48 in the linked presentation), who was taken to the spot by TD
The screenshot from that link shows a white rectangles where LS placed it. The red dot marks CR 225, and the broken light line from top left corner to bottom right corner is the South Arkansas River. The gravel area at the top center is the access to the Colorado Trail head, where TD's video interview of BM ended.

BBM

You kind of did:

TD the adventurer actually DID show the correct location of the bike at least twice, and he showed the correct location to our favorite reporter. The video is very confusing, starting and stopping at odd times; and TD himself seems confused most of the time to me. I studied the video extensively, watching the angle of the sun throughout to determine compass directions. Basically, TD and BM met just south of the Fooses Creek bridge on CR 225, then walked straight north back across the South Arkansas River bridge, turned due east to walk a short distance up the hill toward US Hwy 50, and stopped above where the bike was found by LE. BM had left his truck at the “Y” with his mother riding in it. She followed them driving the truck, and backed it into the access road to the Colorado Trail head on the west side of CR 225 . After seeing where the bike was found, BM and TD walked back down to where she had parked the truck before the video ended. (My previous posts in this thread about the bike location are incorrect)
Here are they key moments from the video:

(A) 11 seconds. Opening shot showing June 1, 2020 video date, looking due south on CR 225 with the South Arkansas River bridge ahead. Tree shadows on the road clearly indicate the sun is shining from the east.

(B) 46 seconds. TD walking southward on CR 225 with sun illuminating the east side of his face (right side in screen shot).

(C) 5 min 28 sec. First meeting BLM, who was facing north on CR 225 with sun on the east side of BM’s face (left side in screen shot).

(D) 5 min 32 sec. BM turning to walk southward on CR 225. The sun fully on his face, and the shadows across the road indicate that he is facing due east at that instant. Fooses Creek bridge is behind BM, indicating that BM and TD are south of the bridge at this moment.

(E) 5 min 38 sec. BM’s truck on CR 225. Tree shadows on road indicate the truck is facing due north, beginning to cross the South Arkansas River bridge. BM’s mother is obviously driving, and following BM and TD as they walk.

(F) 6 min 4 sec. BM stopping on CR 225 to show location of bike. Sun is shining directly behind BM, indicating BM is looking southward from CR 225. The number of steps taken by BM confirm that TD showed LS the correct spot of the bike, and she in turn showed it correctly to the Profiling Evil pair.

(G) 7 min 28 sec. BM says he is motioning due west with his right arm, while sun is behind him. He is standing on the access road to the Colorado Trail, facing the trail head. TB has his back to the trail head, and is facing east looking into the sun while BM speaks. (So the personal item was found west of CR 225, most likely neat Hwy 50)

BBM.

It's been 76 days, far beyond world record sluggishness for LE checking of a very simple alibi. The result? Zip. Zilch, Nada. IMO
Having followed a murder case in which it took just over 3 years to arrest the murdering husband, assuming LE has "zip, zilch, nada" is fallacious. The question is: do they have enough to prove their case to a jury of 12 BARD. If the answer is "no," then they have to find/develop more evidence, uncover more leads, and sometimes the passage of time makes a difference. Better to secure a conviction than rush a case because people are impatient. You know full well a case is much more than an alibi, and LE doesn't generally announce who's on their POI list or who's not.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member