Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody catch the full disclaimer at the end of the video?

I could only get: the facts associated with this case are accurate as of the date the video released.

I know there's more but I couldn't get the text below the screen.
“All people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.”

054CC971-7CEA-4CDC-8BAB-E12E7BD0CD75.jpeg

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

It was in my July 22 post above, somewhat transcribing LS's special news report where I made a special note for the reader that SM's friend KW's reference was not clear.

It was obviously unclear to others because the question was posted on LS fb and she responded that "the two of them" was in-fact SM and her youngest daughter.

(Previously, there had been MSM reports that BM and SM worked out at the gym together).

Thank you @Seattle1! I appreciate you!

Haaaaaaa. For nearly 24 hours, he was cleared.

I’m just glad ID listened to all the criticism they were receiving, even though they didn’t issue an official correction.

As of now, ID is not tweeting the updated video s0 I guess BMwill have to find solace with the 1.6k prior views of the erroneous version.

Also, the "model family" reference caught my eye. That's was from BM's friend Jeff I., and People on July 23.

I still wonder if ID talked to/interviewed anybody directly. :eek:

Friends Say Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew and Husband Barry Seemed Like ‘Good, Model Family’

As of now, ID is not tweeting the updated video s0 I guess BMwill have to find solace with the 1.6k prior views of the erroneous version.

Also, the "model family" reference caught my eye. That's was from BM's friend Jeff I., and People on July 23.

I still wonder if ID talked to/interviewed anybody directly. :eek:

Friends Say Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew and Husband Barry Seemed Like ‘Good, Model Family’
I can’t imagine they did. That first video was so erroneous that it almost looked like it was pulled from social media.

That’s not a mistake they would have made had they actually talked to anyone.

Maybe. If it was, I think it was pretty low class, but that's jmo.
I'd rather hear he misspoke, but I doubt he's going to issue any kind of statement on it.
The other part of this that grabbed my attention was their invitation to BM to join them. He said “come tell us how SM is doing”. I thought it was an interesting choice of words.

BBM
Now I am confused, how would we know a grand jury hasn't been empaneled with a particular person as a target?

As for as I understand a grand jury proceedings are secret. No judge is present, the proceedings are led by a prosecutor and the defendant has no right to present his case or even be informed of the proceedings at all. And aren't the proceedings, the records, sealed?

You're correct. It's possible that a grand jury has been empaneled without us knowing it. While the proceedings are secret, the existence of the grand jury would probably filter out from courthouse employees and possible panel members.

I haven’t seen the PE ( Profiling Evil ) webcast yet where they invited BM to join them next week. Been trying to catch up here first.

Just wanted to mention that I watched Websleuths’s YouTube Live last night and @Tricia said that Mike and Chris will be calling in to her show next Wednesday!
Isn’t that the same day August 5th ?
Here’s our chance to let @Tricia know what we want answered. JMO

Many men don't even remember their marriage anniversary date unless the wife is around to remind them in subtle or not so subtle ways in the weeks leading up to the date. Not saying BM is in that group. All speculation aside, Might be time for him to go public on how fortunate he is to be married to SM.

What Kaitlin Turner -- the district attorney* -- knows about the evidence or not really depends on the relationship between her & the sheriff. It's very possible that she has a lot of information. However, since I don't know what that information may be, I wouldn't be able to say what strategy the State may employ during plea negotiations or trial.

One thing that we do know is that
Kaitlin Turner is up for re-election this year after being appointed by the governor to fill the remainder of her predecessor's term. She's running opposed. If I was Ms. Turner and I believed that there was probable cause to arrest a particular person, then I'd be pushing to get the arrest made. That plus a press conference would get earned media, which is precious in any election.

The fact that (1) Ms. Turner is up for re-election this year and (2) an arrest
hasn't been made -- or a grand jury empaneled with a particular person as a target -- makes me think that she does not believe that probable cause exists to charge a particular person.

* In Indiana, the elected county prosecutor represents the State in all criminal cases, both high- and low-profile. Colorado uses a district attorney model: Chaffee County is part of the 11th Judicial District, which also includes Custer, Fremont, and Park Counties.

Or she's smart and knows she needs to wait till closer to the election if she actually wants the best bump from the story.

She also knows that the arrest warrant needs to be solid, given her position as a D.A. facing election. Which is as it should be.

Many men don't even remember their marriage anniversary date unless the wife is around to remind them in subtle or not so subtle ways in the weeks leading up to the date. Not saying BM is in that group. All speculation aside, Might be time for him to go public on how fortunate he is to be married to SM.
An apparently wonderful woman disappears then she disappears again as everyone that knew her is silent.

LOL! As the author of the unqualified snoop comment, of course there's a difference between being nosy (I prefer the term "inquisitive" :)) and inserting yourself into a criminal investigation, creeping around a possible crime scene, and chatting up strangers (including a possible POI/grieving spouse, however you see it). A qualified criminal reporter has experience and is accountable to his or her superiors to uphold professional standards.

My message to TD: you are not a character full of high jinx in some fictional murder mystery. You are not a junior crime-fighter. Seriously, stay home and maybe, I don't know, get a job.

Last edited:
4. The family knows Suzanne is deceased and they likely already know the identity of the perpetrator.

IMO

I kinda went down this path a month ago, in much different words, and had people say there's still no reason for her family not to speak out and look for her. It's been kind of obvious since the beginning there's a reason everyone is quiet. Whether BM is involved or not, everyone close to the case knows a lot more than we do.

You're correct. It's possible that a grand jury has been empaneled without us knowing it. While the proceedings are secret, the existence of the grand jury would probably filter out from courthouse employees and possible panel members.

WS has several threads of Colorado cases and specific to Colorado, the grand juror process is used sparingly. Indictments by information are the preferred method according to the statutes. I can remember a grand jury only once and it was 20 years ago after the University of Colorado football recruiting scandal. I'm sure there have been others but that's the only one I recall. :)

Grand Jurys & Indictments In Colorado Criminal Cases

In some states, all felony cases go in front of a grand jury and are charged by indictment, but in Colorado, the vast majority of cases are filed via information.

When a case is filed by information, the police officers will bring police reports and witness statements to the District Attorney’s Office.

We will then make a decision whether charges are warranted or not and what those charges should be. We file a complaint and information with the court that outlines the charges against the defendant. This is the preferred method to file charges in Colorado according to the statues.

In those cases that are of public importance, involve public corruption or where witnesses need to be protected, a grand jury can be used.

Last edited:
In this case I believe that LE was given consent and/or access to the home the night Suzanne was reported missing. This would only be to check to see if the missing person was ill, injured, or deceased inside. That would have been the evening of May 10. Reports indicate that the home was sealed off when Barry returned from Denver and he was not allowed inside.
The first SW was served on May 20, 10 days later. This indicates that LE was building their probable cause during this time.

The second SW was served on July 9th. This indicates that LE received new information/evidence which gave them additional probable cause to search again.
As far as welfare checks, it can be a bit hazy. A lot depends on the entirety of the circumstances under which LE is asked to go to a home and check on someone’s welfare as to whether they are justified in breaking down the door. Consider these scenarios:
Caller informs 911 that they live out of state and haven’t been able to reach an elderly parent for several days.
Caller informs 911 that they live out of state and haven’t been able to reach their college student daughter for several days.
Caller informs 911 that he believes that his friend is suicidal.
Caller informs 911 that he hasn’t seen his next door neighbors for several days and fears something may be wrong at the home.
Caller informs 911 that her neighbor who is out of state has called and asked her to check on his wife who reportedly went on a bike ride and never came home.
I think you can see why you can’t justify warrantless searches on every welfare check. It must be decided on a case by case basis.
How would you feel if you went on a spontaneous mini vacation and came home to find your door broken in by the police? What if while they were in there they discovered the meth lab in your basement?
BBM

This part doesn't make much sense to me. You can't seal off someone's home for 10 days without a warrant, right? That's definitely a seizure. Maybe you could argue exigent circumstances right after SM's bike was found (although even that would be difficult without some evidence that the house itself was a crime scene), but certainly not for 10 days. And if LE had enough probable cause to get a warrant to seal the house on the 10th, you'd think they would have had enough to get a search warrant as well.

Maybe they asked the family to stay elsewhere initially and they consented? Or maybe it's just misreporting and the family had access to the house until the 20th?

In the big picture I don't know that it really matters since they obviously found probable cause by the 20th, and again on July 9th. But whether or not the house was sealed off on the 10th gives us a hint as to when they began to suspect that something had happened in the house. I tend to think it came later, but that's purely a guess.

A situation can be "frozen" for a reasonable time to allow officers to obtain a warrant. As a general rule, though, the longer it takes, the less likely such a seizure will be deemed reasonable, especially in the case of a person's home.
That supports the conclusion that LE had sufficient cause to seize the property which quickly merited a search warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli