Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Barry Morphew has been criticized for making too few public appearances. However, I'd be willing to bet that had he made "too many"
public appearances, he would be criticized for doing so. He's been taken to task -- both on WS and elsewhere -- for offering a $200,000 reward for Suzanne's safe return, supposedly because the "safe return" requirement is some sort of strategic loophole on Barry's part.

I get it: the guy is unlikable. So what? Until there's actual evidence linking him to Suzanne's disappearance, in my mind he's not guilty of anything except for not living up to our expectations of how a loving husband should behave when his wife disappears.

Maybe real evidence will be produced showing that Barry Morphew is involved. Until then, I'll keep an open mind & listen to alternative theories.

I don’t even know if he is unlikable. Looking back, the most unlikable things are, still, that he was not with SM on Mother’s Day, and that the neighbor called the police. This is what we firmly know. The rest is hearsay and gossips. Sometimes things get repeated so many times, and from so many sides, that the story sounds believable, but until we hear some facts from LE, it is still hearsay.

Was that the only construction vehicle on site at that time? (I'm impressed with your gathering together of disparate bits of information). It's certainly not an insignificant construction vehicle! Thank you for your research.
I can't think of a plausible explanation for heavy construction machinery being operated in the early hours of the morning, without the express permission of the land/building site owner. To access the site without that permission is trepass. I've renovated 12 properties (for me to live in) and had one new build from scratch and in every contract I've had with builders there has been a regular clause stipulating what constitutes "normal working hours". Any exceptions had to first be negotiated with and agreed by me. That's standard contracting. The early hours of the morning - when bordering neighbors would likely be disturbed - wouldn't cut it at any time. If there was an emergency exception requiring extraordinary planned works (e.g. accidental electricity cut due to severed cables) neighbors are usually alerted in advance, if at all possible.
In my opinion, this isn't someone who innocently went there and then thought better of it. My first thoughts would focus on some kind of suspicious activity - either to do with someone not working associated with the site trying to steal equipment, or something else equally suspicious.
It is not only disruptive and disturbing for neighbors to have noisy/heavy construction machinery being worked in the early hours of the morning; it is also trespassing on someone else's property, which is illegal.

Please see @EggSalad 's post just before this one. I too think that ID posed a stock photo.
Very much enjoying your posts, DrStClements.

Edited to get rid of second quote.

I have a sincere question for LE in this group. If you come upon an article that could pertain to a crime scene or a missing person would you take a photo and show it/text it to a family member to identify? Not a vehicle with a license plate, but something more generic like a bike, backpack, coat, skateboard.... This would be a way that many people could have seen the exact condition and position of the bike.
And, you've made a very good point. But, who was there to send the photo or text? So many unanswered questions....

Law enforcement often does not show their cards
What we see and hear is not an indication of what they are doing or know

I haven't discounted anything for that reason and I think your thoughts and opinions are ok to have, as are others

We just don't know

Edited to add:
I also like to hear all the opinions, no matter the subject, but I will admit I always like mine best
I don't think this posted on my first try but you killed it! I literally laughed out loud.

Hmm. Financially, he may feel he has no choice but to do that asap. He may have no qualms about appearances. Moo moo
Someone posted the IN law cases (which might be admissible) where the people in this case are concerned.
I didn't save it, wish I had. BM doesn't have full guardianship of SM yet. I can't remember how far away the date is for the final adjudication but I do think I remember that it's not a very lengthy time.
If the person who posted it could re-post it, or if they're not reading, did anyone save it?
Thank you so much in advance.
I also don't know how long, in CO or IN it takes to declare a person deceased. Anyone?
Edited because I'm too tired to think, no less type.

Someone posted the IN law cases (which might be admissible) where the people in this case are concerned.
I didn't save it, wish I had. BM doesn't have full guardianship of SM yet. I can't remember how far away the date is for the final adjudication but I do think I remember that it's not a very lengthy time.
If the person who posted it could re-post it, or if they're not reading, did anyone save it?
Thank you so much in advance.
I also don't know how long, in CO or IN it takes to declare a person deceased. Anyone?
Edited because I'm too tired to think, no less type.

The petition to establish guardianship was filed on June 1st and a hearing has been scheduled for 90 days from that date, so September 1st.
I found those details in the Media Maps/Timeline thread on page 1 of this ( and every thread). See posts #139 thru #142.

Also, there’s this:
Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

Well, Barry Morphew has been criticized for making too few public appearances. However, I'd be willing to bet that had he made "too many"
public appearances, he would be criticized for doing so. He's been taken to task -- both on WS and elsewhere -- for offering a $200,000 reward for Suzanne's safe return, supposedly because the "safe return" requirement is some sort of strategic loophole on Barry's part.

I get it: the guy is unlikable. So what? Until there's actual evidence linking him to Suzanne's disappearance, in my mind he's not guilty of anything except for not living up to our expectations of how a loving husband should behave when his wife disappears.

Maybe real evidence will be produced showing that Barry Morphew is involved. Until then, I'll keep an open mind & listen to alternative theories.

I had not reason to dislike him until he didn't give a flying 'fig' about alerting the public to his wife's disappearance.

He made exactly two appearances. One was a very short FB video (a week after her disappearance) and the second was a supposedly accidental video.
I don't believe for a second that he didn't know he was being recorded. He saw TD on the road with his video camera and, in my opinion, thought that it was his opportunity to put forth his 'theories'.

He hasn't done *advertiser censored* otherwise. No pleas, no showing up, no LE pressers and certainly no interviews.
I don't care if you're a defense attorney but the average analytical person would perceive all of these facts (and every action by LE) from a different point of view. Including a jury.

And yes, a $200,000 reward for a SAFE RETURN is a huge indicator to LE and the peanut gallery, btw.

Why did you change hats from a prosecutor to a defense attorney? I know that's a personal question but I'm just curious, if you don't mind sharing. TIA.

Last edited:
Hi OldCop, I just posted on post 22 of this forum on page 55. I would hugely appreciate your input into this. I am pasting the post below. Thanks!

IMO the ‘personal item’ found on the first night, (not the bike) had to tie the suspect immediately to the scene. Did the suspect drop this item during staging ?
It would be great if OldCop could reads this post and give his informed opinion.
Why did LE stop cooperating with BM the first night? Is this typical?
I would think that LE would be comforting the family and sharing updates?
I'm not sure that the other 'item' was found that same night but possibly the next day?

I'm not sure that the other 'item' was found that same night but possibly the next day?
The personal item was found on Thursday May 14th. This prompted the closing of Hwy 50 on May 15th for a large scale search. The Sheriff’s press conference was at 5:00 on the 15th where he announced the finding.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 15, 2020 (update)

Nearly 90 investigators searched a 2.5-mile area near County Road 225 and Highway 50 in search of clues into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew (age 49) of Chaffee County, who went missing on May 10, 2020.

Local, state and federal investigators searched steep and rugged terrain in an effort to attempt to locate additional items of Ms. Morphew after investigators believed to have found a personal item of the missing woman on Thursday.

May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

The purpose of my post was to make clear that the entire state of Colorado is entitled to standards that will eliminate and reduce unnecessary and excessive noise which is physically harmful and otherwise detrimental to individuals and the community in the enjoyment of life, property and the conduct of business, AND absent any local rule, the state law of the land will provide the standard.

IMO, posts were trending with the implication there was no rule preventing loud construction equipment during late-night hours.

I've since learned the subject property is not under the jurisdiction of Salida and therefore the Municipal Code for the City not applicable. Nonetheless, the Chaffee County rule for noise is equivalent to the noise rules pursuant to the Colorado Revised Statutes.

@Madeleine74, please do not be offended by the inclusion of a noise statute in this discussion. Your posts are intelligent and I'm hopeful you will share the applicable law of the land when you see fit. Thank you.
In NY, landscaping noise is restricted to the hours of 8 am to 8 pm. I would definitely be wary of late night noises being made by a construction site, and I'm not hard of hearing. On the contrary, my hearing is insanely sensitive but then it did wake this woman.
I want to reiterate a very astute comment made before. We don't know how long the noise was happening.
Being that the neighbor was sleeping, she could've slept through some of it.
REM dream cycles can last up to an hour or more. If she was in a deep sleep, she might not have awakened for a while.
And, she admittedly said that she was somewhat hard of hearing.
I think the dig site isn't something to discount, whatever they did or did not find.
There could be another clue there.

I know that we’ve been warned not to argue with an attorney, however, imo, it appears that something about this case and the sleuthers is really getting under your skin. What do see is our path forward that we don’t see? Who do you think is responsible for this awful situation?

I'm a contrarian by nature, so it's reflexive for me to go against the crowd. That being said, the danger of fixating on one person -- in this case, Barry Morphew -- is that alternate possibilities are not explored or investigated. I think that is what has needled me more than anything.

I'm a contrarian by nature, so it's reflexive for me to go against the crowd. That being said, the danger of fixating on one person -- in this case, Barry Morphew -- is that alternate possibilities are not explored or investigated. I think that is what has needled me more than anything.
I'm sure those alternative possibilities have been explored, by LE.
After all, we have the local Sheriff's office who's Sheriff was a very seasoned LE officer before he moved to the area, the CBI and the FBI on this case.
They've got it covered, IMO.
What if they think the murderer had an accomplice. The may be looking at that person for corroborating evidence.
That's supposition, of course.
IMO

^^bbm

I don't think it mattered until a witness came forward with info about loud noise late at night, and one tries to make sense of her recollection because running heavy equipment at night is unusual, and potentially significant.

And when it becomes apparent that the witness, [MB]that lives off of County Road 105 on the east side of Salida is really not sure of the noise source, it does not help!

For example, MB first believed it was a truck or something maybe parked in my driveway. As vehicles are left running in driveways daily, does this even matter?

But when the witness provides maybe it was heavy equipment, and she [MB ]did ask the construction workers if they left keys in the equipment, you wonder which equipment, and who did it belong to.

You wonder why experienced, licensed contractors would engage in such practice.

You wonder if it's allowed, or a violation of governing rules.

And when you learn it's not allowed, you post why, the authority, and the link (i.e., noise ordinance).

Now you can check for any citations pursuant to the authority, and if the offender has any connection to the property.

It should end there.

MOO

ETA: When it doesn't, roll and scroll. :)

Neighbors want answers two months into Chaffee County woman’s disappearance | FOX21 News Colorado
I find it completely interesting. So the neighbour, MB, went to the worksite .... I've heard it alleged it was the next day or two .... (not sure) .... after hearing sounds around
11.30 pm the previous night from the site. Now, did the person she spoke to just sit on the information? Did they inform LE at all? Or did LE only find out about it when doing a bit of a door-knock around the area where BM had been working after they'd done their research about his movements? MOO

^^sbm
I believe the "too soon" comment had to do with too early for the husband to direct a plea to the SM and the alleged captors given how BM made the comment when the nephew was on-air announcing the generous reward match by a family friend for SM's safe return. MOO
And the please give me site. That happened very quickly.

IF I was involved in a felony crime (which I certainly don't plan to ever be), I would for sure hire an attorney and take that attorney's advice and I would suggest anyone facing any similar situation should hire a criminal defense attorney if they can financially manage to do so.

It's many thousands of $$$ for their expertise and navigation of a complex legal system, so it would be pointless to hire them, pay all that money, and then ignore the attorney's instructions.

IMO

See, there's your problem: Because you're wise enough to know that you should actually follow your attorney's advice, the odds that you'll ever need a criminal defense attorney for a felony case are extremely low! ;)

Seriously, there are some clients who simply will not follow instructions. Oftentimes, they end up damaging a possible defense or getting their bond revoked. In my particular practice, this occurs most frequently in domestic violence cases. Despite being ordered in open court by a judge to refrain from any contact -- including phone, text, email -- with the other person, clients will often engage in communication anyway. If discovered, this leads to more charges, bond revocations, and a really p*ssed off judge who now knows that a defendant will not follow a judicial officer's orders.

I'm sure those alternative possibilities have been explored, by LE.
After all, we have the local Sheriff's office who's Sheriff was a very seasoned LE officer before he moved to the area, the CBI and the FBI on this case.
They've got it covered, IMO.
What if they think the murderer had an accomplice. The may be looking at that person for corroborating evidence.
That's supposition, of course.
IMO

In an investigation where there is one primary focus, alternative theories are not necessarily explored due to confirmation bias, pressure, etc. This is exactly what we defense attorneys look for :D. We do not have a lot of innocent clients: we have not guilty clients. One way to raise reasonable doubt is to show that police did not sufficiently disprove an alternate reasonable theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli