Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Profiling Evil:
https://youtu.be/P69YkyiKFTY

--------
Lauren Scharf reporter - Part 1
---
Part 2
https://youtu.be/AX6EPDE1L1A
----------
Cancer treatments
“Some days I would be in the chair next to her getting chemo. Suzanne was one of the nicest people I have met. She was always cheerful and had a great attitude about her cancer and life. She loved her daughters more than anything in this world and they loved her more than anything too. She would never just up and leave them, never!

Her daughters (one or both) would always be with her for her treatments. I saw Barry come in once, he was not overly friendly and seemed to be uncomfortable there. That is not unusual as it’s often hard for loved ones to be there.

Suzanne was so happy on the day of her last treatment. She was still coming in for maintenance treatments, but the chemo was done and she was doing great. She was supposed to come in for her maintenance the Monday after Mother’s day, but of course, did not show up. She was a bright light in this world. I really miss Suzanne and pray that justice is served.

FELLOW CANCER SURVIVOR
“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado-
——-
@Seattle1 (courtesy)
Quotes from LSharff Fox 21 on SM:

“You don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it”: Friends describe missing Chaffee County woman | FOX21 News Colorado

July 22, 2020

Family and friends spoked to FOX21 Digital NOW Suzanne, describing her as beautiful inside and out. The family still hopes Suzanne will come home.

“Suzanne has always been beautiful. Everything about her is beautiful you don’t just see beauty when Suzanne is around, you feel it. Suzanne loves Jesus and she loves like Jesus. Always with a sweet smile and a kind word. She has a peaceful presence about her. She loves her family. She is so thankful to be a Momma, it wasn’t a guarantee for her, not something she could assume would happen when she was ready. Jesus made a way. Not once but twice. Blessings upon blessings.

We have a lot of questions and to say we don’t understand why or how this could happen to precious Suzanne is an understatement. But I know that wherever Suzanne is He is with her and she is with Him. When I stumble and my faith becomes weak I think of Suzanne and know she would want me to praise Him in this storm. He didn’t promise we wouldn’t face them, but he promised we wouldn’t face them alone. Suzanne is so very loved, to know her is to love her. Please help us find her.”

AMBER HEIFNER AIMAN, SECOND COUSIN

“She was one of those people that would make you feel happy when you saw her,” Karry Wooddell said. “She was someone who would make you feel comfortable and she was so kind and open and would do anything for you.”

Wooddell met Suzanne at the gym after she moved to Colorado in the fall of 2018. Their daughters play high school volleyball together. Wooddelln said she considered Suzanne to be one of her best friends.

“She was super fit and you could tell she loved working out and loved being at the gym and, so, instantly we hit it off and started talking about our workouts and what we were doing,” Wooddell explained. “It was fun to get to see the two of them working out together and you could see them catching up together on the treadmill, they were really close.” bbm

[Note: It's unclear to reader who the friend is referring to here re. 'two of them.' Daughter? BM? Previous MSM reports state BM/SM often seen working out together at the gym].

“One of the last times I saw her, I was at Walmart when the pandemic had started,” Wooddell said, in tears.

“I saw her pull up across from me in her car and – it’s been lonely. Gyms were closed, everyone had been socially distant, so I had missed seeing her. And she was one of the people I had really missed seeing, so when I saw her pull up, I went to just tap on her window. She rolled her window down and I jumped back, because I didn’t want to be close to her and, she’s just so cute, she said, ‘Oh, I’m just about to mask up. I’m about to put all my stuff on.’ I said, ‘How are you, how are the girls?’ And she was telling me about how much fun she and the girls were having cooking and planning meals every day, and how much she was cherishing this time with both of her daughters.”

Suzanne, a strong woman on many levels, overcame Hodgkins Lymphoma twice. Once before her children were born, and again as the Morphew family moved to Colorado. The family says they celebrated her last cancer treatment on October 1, 2019.

“Some days I would be in the chair next to her getting chemo. Suzanne was one of the nicest people I have met. She was always cheerful and had a great attitude about her cancer and life. She loved her daughters more than anything in this world and they loved her more than anything too. She would never just up and leave them, never!

Her daughters (one or both) would always be with her for her treatments. I saw Barry come in once, he was not overly friendly and seemed to be uncomfortable there. That is not unusual as it’s often hard for loved ones to be there.

Suzanne was so happy on the day of her last treatment. She was still coming in for maintenance treatments, but the chemo was done and she was doing great. She was supposed to come in for her maintenance the Monday after Mother’s day, but of course, did not show up. She was a bright light in this world. I really miss Suzanne and pray that justice is served.

FELLOW CANCER SURVIVOR
Suzanne also served, enthusiastically, at Grace Church in Salida, volunteering and providing lunches for students at Young-Life. FOX21 reached out to the church for a comment. Staff there would not provide a comment on Morphew’s disappearance, but did say their church community is praying for her. As yet, no prayer vigil has been planned.

“Suzanne has always been a wonderful person. Growing up, she truly was kind to everyone. She would always be there to lend an ear, if you needed it. Quiet, beautiful, always carried herself well.

She reminds me a lot of her mother, and the word I always use to describe Adrianne is “Classy”. Suzanne had a beautiful singing voice in High School. She was in the Choir, as well as Show Choir, those were fun times!

She reached out to me, after moving to Colorado, to see if I knew, or was planning a 30 year Class reunion for last year, as she wanted to plan a trip home for it! Oh, how I regret not stepping up, and making that happen.”

AMY MCCURRY, CHILDHOOD FRIEND

During a time of panic and confusion, Wooddell indicated, Suzanne put her family first.

Her family and her community is now returning that favor.

“We are on a mission to find Suzanne,” Nephew Trevor Noel said.

“I know that there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t look – look her name up to see if anything new has come up,” Wooddell added.

The family said the two Morphew daughters are staying with their dad at the family home in Maysville. A plea from Suzanne’s husband, Barry was shared online exactly a week after she disappeared. A reward of $200,000 by the missing woman’s family and friends is being offered in exchange for her safe return.

FOX21 has made several attempts to speak with Barry Morphew, but have not heard back.

Watch FOX21 News at 9 on Thursday, July 23 for a second special report on the investigation into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew.

Friends Say Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew and Husband Barry Seemed Like ‘Good, Model Family’

snipped
Before Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew disappeared during a bike ride on Mother's Day, everything in her life seemed to be going well.

"That [family structure] where the husband loves being the provider and the wife loves being the homemaker— they fit that to a T," longtime friend Jeff Isles tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.

But now Morphew, a mom-of-two, is missing, having vanished on a bike ride on May 10.

FOX21 News

“She did talk about her bike rides, she liked it, she felt safe and she didn’t feel threatened on them," a family friend said.
CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — Investigators returned to a missing Chaffee County woman’s home to search for more clues after two months with no sign of Suzanne Morphew. The 49-year-old mother…

7/9 - LE returns to family home to search
-http://chaffeesheriff.org/blog/

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE Salida, Colorado PRESS RELEASE July 9, 2020 It has been two months since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County. In that time, investigators have followed-up on hundreds of tips and conducted a number of searches in an effort to locate Ms. Morphew, who was reported missing on Mother’s Day....
more at link
FBI, CBI, and local investigators return to Suzanne Morphew’s home for search

6/18- Family's funding page updated - https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1273721580003024896?s=21

6/10-Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff
June 10, 2020
SUZANNE MORPHEW UPDATE JUNE 10
It has been one month since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County. In that time, local, state and federal investigators have followed-up on hundreds of tips and conducted a number of searches in an effort to locate Ms. Morphew, who was reported missing on Mother’s Day, May 10, 2020

6/1 - BM files incapacity proceedings in IN
probate court seeking guardianship of SM - petition to sell property included - Temporary Letters issued naming BM Guardian and Order entered to sell property 6/5

Barry Morphew files for guardianship of missing wife Suzanne Morphew

5/29 - SM hometown shows support
Missing woman's hometown shows support

5/28 - SM family told not to comment per Lauren Scharf

5/27 - Crimeonline reports "angst" at move
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]

5/26 - family private reward increased by $10K to $210,000
https://heartoftherockiesradio.com/reward-increased-to-210000-for-information-leading-to-suzanne-morphew/

5/25 - Crimeonline reports on email message to IN church from "family"
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

5/24 - CCSO search of private property completed. CCSO believes someone has a "key piece of information"
May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/24 - fundraising page lists BM's mother as beneficiary
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

5/23- CCSO no new updates
Press release May 23, 2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/22 - residential private property searched -owner cooperating reported as a job site for BM. CCSO confirm nothing found related to SM
May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/22-"found bike in ravine"
Investigators search Salida property in connection with Suzanne Morphew disappearance, Fire Chief remains “hopeful”

5/21 - nobody actually saw her on a bike

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance
---
‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

by Ellen Killoran
May 21, 2020

5/20 - Local fire dept excluded from search per Chief interview
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/20-Dailymail breaks story with pics of family home search and items removed - search warrant sealed
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

5/19- family home searched (corrected to cordoned off)
BREAKING: Police prohibit Suzanne Morphew’s family members from entering home

5/18 - CCSO asks for video to be preserved from 5/8-5/12
May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/17 - BM puts out plea via FB missing page (video)
Find Suzanne Morphew

5/15 - personal item located per sheriff (not identified) highway closed for LE search, family says that the personal item is not the bike, TN gives interview
HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

5/14. When Colorado Channel 2 reporter asked Mr. Morphew if he’s interested in making a public plea, Mr. Morphew said “at this point it’s simply too soon”.
5/14 -Missing Colorado mom: Husband offers $100,000 reward as FBI joins search for her | Daily Mail Online
Morphew's husband Barry has also put out a $100,000 reward for his wife's safe return, 'no questions asked', according to FOX 31. He declined to make a public plea when asked by the local news station, saying it was simply 'too soon'.

5/14-Reward doubled to 200K (friend)
TN tells reporter bik0e has been found
Sheriff Spezze said they had found a few more item(s) the previous day 5/14.

Searching For Suzanne Morphew: Reward For Information Doubled To $200,000

Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

5/13 - Sheriff - open criminal investigation, probability of animal attack not very high
no comment, FBI and CBI joined in search

5/13 - 100K reward announced, FB set up by TN, fundraising set up for private searching by TN
Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Find Suzanne Morphew

https://www.********.com/f/suzanne-morphew

5/12- search continues - no volunteers requested
YouTube

5/11 - search resumed early morning hours - cell phone? Sheriff replied no comment
News conference: Chaffee County Sheriff provides update on missing Maysville woman

5/10 -911 called (neighbor) after getting a call that SM did not come back from the bike ride. LE arrives to search
MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride

Not sure if this could be related to Suzanne’s case or not but this is a rural and mountainous location just under 2 hours east of Salida/Maysville.

Homicide investigation underway after body found on Highway 24
10:40am July 31, 2020

A homicide investigation is underway after a body was found on Highway 24 near Cascade, according to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

Westbound Highway 24 is shut down near Cascade between Wellington Road and Cave Of The Winds Road. Originally, the closure was in both directions of Highway 24.

Map
Colorado Department of Transportation - Travel Alerts - Road Report

EPSO detectives investigating possible homicide on Highway 24 near Cacade. More info to follow. PIO enroute.
https://twitter.com/epcsheriff/status/1289200786338013184?s=21

Attachments

• 456BDCD2-6E29-49E0-A3EB-4B87E6B049F9.jpeg
    456BDCD2-6E29-49E0-A3EB-4B87E6B049F9.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 4BBDF9DE-BDE3-44E0-8FCC-FB4227EE05ED.jpeg
    4BBDF9DE-BDE3-44E0-8FCC-FB4227EE05ED.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
In NY, landscaping noise is restricted to the hours of 8 am to 8 pm. I would definitely be wary of late night noises being made by a construction site, and I'm not hard of hearing. On the contrary, my hearing is insanely sensitive but then it did wake this woman.
I want to reiterate a very astute comment made before. We don't know how long the noise was happening.
Being that the neighbor was sleeping, she could've slept through some of it.
REM dream cycles can last up to an hour or more. If she was in a deep sleep, she might not have awakened for a while.
And, she admittedly said that she was somewhat hard of hearing.
I think the dig site isn't something to discount, whatever they did or did not find.
There could be another clue there.
And, lets add: since she is hard of hearing, it had to have been very loud for her to have been awoken from sleep.

Thank you for all this! May I add, as a person who has a slender connection to search dogs (drug and bomb dogs specifically), my opinion is that the dogs on the scene of the searches literally had nothing to follow in the area around the bike. Dogs that hit a scent become highly active and curious, and fast. If they had scented SM they'd have been off like a shot -- so LE ruled out an injured SM wandering around. If the dogs had scented a mountain lion, they would have been even more aroused by that scent -- so, no mountain lion. I think the dogs looked up at their handlers and said, "Uh, nothing here, dude!" Just IMO.
I'm curious when you say "scented SM" do they give the dogs something of hers with her scent on it and have them try to find that scent? How would LE get the scent of a mountain lion?

Not sure if this could be related to Suzanne’s case or not but this is a rural and mountainous location 2 hours East of Salida/Maysville area.

A homicide investigation is underway after a body was found on Highway 24 near Cascade, according to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

Westbound Highway 24 is shut down near Cascade between Wellington Road and Cave Of The Winds Road. Originally, the closure was in both directions of Highway 24.

Map

EPSO detectives investigating possible homicide on Highway 24 near Cacade. More info to follow. PIO enroute.

Interesting! Thank you for sharing Osu!

Not sure if this could be related to Suzanne’s case or not but this is a rural and mountainous location just under 2 hours east of Salida/Maysville.

Map

Standing by.

I'm a contrarian by nature, so it's reflexive for me to go against the crowd. That being said, the danger of fixating on one person -- in this case, Barry Morphew -- is that alternate possibilities are not explored or investigated. I think that is what has needled me more than anything.

To me, this case appears more straightforward than PF’s case in the very beginning, when KB was a pilot and the phone pinged in Idaho. Here, everything is localized. SM’s phone is in the house, for example. MOO. However, statistically, there is still a chance that the perp was someone else known, or even unknown, to SM. And if so, we have to be careful and not to drop names when cheering for the arrest. MOO. LE has not said anything yet, and with the public opinion being too negative, you know, people later start claiming prejudice, etc.

Is there any info as to how the body was discovered? ie, thru police investigation, a hiker, a tip?
Of course we don't know that this is SM's, but it's still someone and they're calling it a homicide investigation.
How did they know that so quickly? I'm sure there's evidence of homicide but what is it?

Is there any info as to how the body was discovered? ie, thru police investigation, a hiker, a tip?
Of course we don't know that this is SM's, but it's still someone and they're calling it a homicide investigation.
How did they know that so quickly? I'm sure there's evidence of homicide but what is it?

Not sure? I just saw it pop up on my new feed as a traffic alert. The first report said they had both directions of the highway shut down and a large police presence. EPCSO tweeted that a PIO is currently on the way.

JMO

Map

Hmm. Not a straight route to Denver, but you could hop on 25 north at Colorado Springs. Moo

Report has been updated -- it's a homicide investigation. LE responded to a welfare check request and found the body. No risk to the community.

July 31, 2020

MANITOU SPRINGS — A homicide investigation is underway after a body was found on Highway 24 near Cascade, according to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

The sheriff's office said dispatch received a call at 6 a.m. regarding a welfare check and deputies responded to the area where they found a woman's body. There are no suspects at this time and no risk to the community.

Report has been updated -- it's a homicide investigation. LE responded to a welfare check request and found the body. No risk to the community.

July 31, 2020

MANITOU SPRINGS — A homicide investigation is underway after a body was found on Highway 24 near Cascade, according to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

The sheriff's office said dispatch received a call at 6 a.m. regarding a welfare check and deputies responded to the area where they found a woman's body. There are no suspects at this time and no risk to the community.

Thank you

Hmm. Not a straight route to Denver, but you could hop on 25 north at Colorado Springs. Moo

Yep it’s 1 hr 53 mins from Salida to Cascade on Rt. 24 and 1 hr 25 mins from Co Springs to Denver driving on I-25 N. But there are other scenic routes that take longer and may not have heavy traffic or cameras. I tried to post copies of all the possible routes but I can’t figure out how to make thumbnails. :rolleyes: They sure have shut down a lot of Rt. 24! It’s probably not related but you never know. I can’t imagine a body wouldn’t be hidden very well whether buried or other options we have discussed and if a body was found after this much time wouldn’t they call it human remains? I don’t think it would look like a recognizable “body” if it was her. But it is close and the routes are doable. Waiting for more info...hope others like LS are on this!

upload_2020-7-31_10-30-21.png

Edit: just read above posted at same time...appears it may be unrelated :(

Last edited:
Writing from overseas ( as obvious from my nick here), I'd like to thank you all, guys, for being so united, determined and devoted to the main goal of the forum - looking for the missing ones and justice the victims deserve.
The case of SM made me register in here, as it sounds just unbelievable how can a beloved mother, friend and so disappeared and all her people just keep silent...
Hopefully, LE will get clues enough to punish those in charge of SM's disappearance.

It really is weird. Adding to the oddity is that nobody from Suzanne's family or circle of friends is commenting at all. Ordinarily -- even if police asked them not to talk -- one would expect at least one person to seek his/her 15 minutes in the limelight. The discipline that they've showed is extraordinary.

It's also possible it's not really extraordinary discipline at all, but that her family members back in IN just aren't close to her.
Given that she (from all accounts we've all read so far) is a devout Christian, if her relatives are not, that can often create a distance, for both parties.
Just sort of thinking out loud about past cases were the family doesn't step up or make noise or anything, and there really aren't that many reasons.

1. asked by LE not to speak to the media (although I don't recall if I've never seen a case where LE said family cannot plea for their loved one's safe return, or tell the media what a wonderful person they are, and how much they're loved and missed)
2. aren't close to the victim and decline any media interviews, if/when asked
3. have something to do with the victim's disappearance, so decline all interviews

That's my short list. Anyone have any more to add?

It's also possible it's not really extraordinary discipline at all, but that her family members back in IN just aren't close to her.
Given that she (from all accounts we've all read so far) is a devout Christian, if her relatives are not, that can often create a distance, for both parties.
Just sort of thinking out loud about past cases were the family doesn't step up or make noise or anything, and there really aren't that many reasons.

1. asked by LE not to speak to the media (although I don't recall if I've never seen a case where LE said family cannot plea for their loved one's safe return, or tell the media what a wonderful person they are, and how much they're loved and missed)
2. aren't close to the victim and decline any media interviews, if/when asked
3. have something to do with the victim's disappearance, so decline all interviews

That's my short list. Anyone have any more to add?

4. There is a minor child or children that everyone is encirling, protecting from further harm, trusting LE to do its job, committed to silence over circus or disparage.

My sense, they know.... and now isn't the time to say.

I commend them. Patient. Compassionate. Like I imagine Suzanne was.

JMOJMOJMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member