Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what CPS is required to do, and it may vary by state. But Mark Sievers was granted custody of his young children in 12/2015 after a challenge from DCF. Teresa, his wife, was murdered on 6/29/2015, so this was more than 5 months after her murder, and soon after the husband had been formally named as a suspect.

Judge: Mark Sievers retains custody of his children

“A Lee County judge ruled Monday that the two daughters of Dr. Teresa Sievers, who was bludgeoned to death this summer, should stay in the care of their father, who has recently been implicated in the killing.

Despite suggestions from the Florida Department of Children and Families that the couple’s two daughters, ages 11 and 8, are in danger, Lee Circuit Judge Lee Schreiber found the department did not present enough evidence to show that Mark Sievers is a threat to the children. In denying the petition, Schreiber said the possibility that Mark Sievers would harm his daughters “is just that: it’s a possibility.”

He did lose custody soon afterward.
my point made . judges . mistakes by. even when notified the judge can screw it up. "not a threat?" guy killed once, who's to say he went off his rocker and killed and could go off his rocker again . a judge? error on side of caution is the motto on everything, judge worried about "rights"? what about childs rights? after 10,000 posts here debating if they have the usual suspect in their sights one phone call by Lauren Schiff would expedite this or ask the mayor to ask protective services if the child is in danger, whats more important?

Hi, @TIGER0822. I think a lot of folks here on WS have been speculating as to why LE seemed to narrow their focus very early on in this case. First, to clarify a couple of things: LE has never admitted that they found SM’s bike on the night she was reported missing. That information came from BM’s nephew, TN. I believe the personal item you are referring to was actually found on the following Thursday, 10/15. That find, which LE did admit to, was discovered up near the intersection of Hwy 50 and Rte 225 and caused a large search to be initiated on the following day, Friday. That search resulted in Hwy 50 west towards Monarch Pass being closed off for a greater part of the day on Friday. To our knowledge no additional evidence was found during that search.
Going back to your original question, no one but LE knows at this point what compelled them to narrow the focus of their search so early. They were very quick to rule out accident and mountain lion attack. It seems they have also found no evidence of an abduction. The most common theories that we have come up with is that something about the bike itself was off early on. Perhaps it was un-rideable, perhaps it was staged at its location. Perhaps a neighbor reported something, a neighborhood video caught something on camera, or there was something very incriminating at the scene.
You are correct when you say you might expect LE to be reassuring and comforting to the family of a missing person and that they would stand with them to get find out what had happened to their loved one. BM has been vocal, (on the TD video), about his criticism on how LE handled this case from the beginning, but that may be a boisterous bluff. We don’t know what LE found out very quickly but it appears to have been quite incriminating.

Thank you, I love reading your ‘Insider’ posts.

Hi OldCop, I just posted on post 22 of this forum on page 55. I would hugely appreciate your input into this. I am pasting the post below. Thanks!

IMO the ‘personal item’ found on the first night, (not the bike) had to tie the suspect immediately to the scene. Did the suspect drop this item during staging ?
It would be great if OldCop could reads this post and give his informed opinion.
Why did LE stop cooperating with BM the first night? Is this typical?
I would think that LE would be comforting the family and sharing updates?

I don't think the item was found on that first night. I thought it was 3 days later.

I do believe that something caused LE to almost immediately call in the CSI and the FBI. I think that occurred (first calls made) before the item was found. Many of us would give a lot to know what in fact triggered LE's early actions in this case.

Theories have ranged from "obvious signs of foul play" (but where? inside. the house? did the neighbor go inside to check what was up? did the daughters notice something upon their return? or was it something else...involving the darned bike?)

Early on, Fire Chief floated the idea that Suzanne's bike ride was typically on the morning on Sundays (which IMO he could only know via BM). BM states that he conferred with Suzanne on Sunday morning before taking off for Denver. Taken together, this seems to weave a narrative about Suzanne disappearing sometime on Sunday morning (online church was at 9 am, I believe - a bit earlier than regular church had been).

If Suzanne was abducted or taken by a mountain lion, then was it on Sunday, mid-morning? What made LE discount the idea of abduction? Their first concern seems to have been searching the area for an injured or otherwise incapacitated person, and then, looking for evidence.

If they brought in several dogs (which I believe they did) and ruled out both mountain lion and Suzanne walking away from the bike...or Suzanne even being near that ravine...and then found an item of hers up near highway 50 (as if thrown from a car? to make it look like an abduction?) what was it that made them decide "no abduction." I don't think the failure of dogs to find a scent is enough, but maybe it was.

I do think it was possible to determine whether that bike had its wheels on the ground when it plunged down that little ravine or whether it was thrown. I also think that damage to the bike would help decide that - almost immediately.

LE have spoken to a lot of people by now (including, I'd wager, all of the people who worked at the house where they searched under the concrete). Nothing LE has done, however, points away from Salida and someone known to Suzanne. It was a targeted abduction/murder IMO. By someone who knew her and her habits, either from personal experience or by stalking.

In all this time, LE have never suggested that there is a total stranger menacing Chaffee County and its women.

I don't think the item was found on that first night. I thought it was 3 days later.

I do believe that something caused LE to almost immediately call in the CSI and the FBI. I think that occurred (first calls made) before the item was found. Many of us would give a lot to know what in fact triggered LE's early actions in this case.

Theories have ranged from "obvious signs of foul play" (but where? inside. the house? did the neighbor go inside to check what was up? did the daughters notice something upon their return? or was it something else...involving the darned bike?)

Early on, Fire Chief floated the idea that Suzanne's bike ride was typically on the morning on Sundays (which IMO he could only know via BM). BM states that he conferred with Suzanne on Sunday morning before taking off for Denver. Taken together, this seems to weave a narrative about Suzanne disappearing sometime on Sunday morning (online church was at 9 am, I believe - a bit earlier than regular church had been).

If Suzanne was abducted or taken by a mountain lion, then was it on Sunday, mid-morning? What made LE discount the idea of abduction? Their first concern seems to have been searching the area for an injured or otherwise incapacitated person, and then, looking for evidence.

If they brought in several dogs (which I believe they did) and ruled out both mountain lion and Suzanne walking away from the bike...or Suzanne even being near that ravine...and then found an item of hers up near highway 50 (as if thrown from a car? to make it look like an abduction?) what was it that made them decide "no abduction." I don't think the failure of dogs to find a scent is enough, but maybe it was.

I do think it was possible to determine whether that bike had its wheels on the ground when it plunged down that little ravine or whether it was thrown. I also think that damage to the bike would help decide that - almost immediately.

LE have spoken to a lot of people by now (including, I'd wager, all of the people who worked at the house where they searched under the concrete). Nothing LE has done, however, points away from Salida and someone known to Suzanne. It was a targeted abduction/murder IMO. By someone who knew her and her habits, either from personal experience or by stalking.

In all this time, LE have never suggested that there is a total stranger menacing Chaffee County and its women.
This has been one of the nagging details for me personally in this case. 911 is called and LE shows up - while we may not know the timing of them calling in CBI and others', many of us believe it was that night, right? So, did the neighbor have video and they looked at that right away and saw something unusual? If the husband didn't arrive until 9pm (not sure of this) did they gain access to inside the house to look around? Would this be allowed to make sure she wasn't injured inside? Something happened IMO and they know about it - enough to return with a search warrant twice that has been sealed. luminol may have revealed blood? no idea - but it was something to call in the others
JMO

i get that but don't invite a guy to your podcast on your anniversary with a loaded question like that and then complain if he doesn't accept

Why not? It does what many of us want to do: Keep Suzanne in the public eye, in the media (even if it is just Youtube - Youtube is becoming pretty important as a way of distributing true crime news).

A regular journalist would likely not make this type of invitation (although Geraldo or Nancy Grace have been known to). Challenging someone to talk is not new.

All of this gets PR for both the youtube channel (which I had never heard of until this case) AND for the victim. It also helps keep BM firmly in the cross-hairs of public speculation.

While BM won't respond, he certainly must feel a little...perturbed...antsy? His invisible lawyer(s) could make a statement regarding such things and even convey to the public how BM has spent the fundraising money to search for Suzanne. Indeed, a map of the massive search area covered (according to BM) by BM and his buddies would be a great thing to release at a press conference.

I think he wants to keep the fact that he has a lawyer (I'm betting a criminal defense lawyer) under wraps. He's got a rhythm going (be mostly invisible) but...each of these challenges from outsiders probably cause his mouth to move and he says stuff to family and friends. Of course, some of them may have lawyers too, and their own reasons for not speaking publicly. Can BM live his life this way indefinitely?

A lot of perps think that LE will just lose interest after a while, but from what we've seen in Colorado, they're a persistent bunch, those police and district attorneys.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that cringed. That was supremely cringe-worthy.
I am sorry to say and I know some will disagree but I haven’t been impressed by anyone on this show (knowledge or research skills). I do appreciate them keeping SM’s name out there but at the same time they are all monetizing on it.

This has been one of the nagging details for me personally in this case. 911 is called and LE shows up - while we may not know the timing of them calling in CBI and others', many of us believe it was that night, right? So, did the neighbor have video and they looked at that right away and saw something unusual? If the husband didn't arrive until 9pm (not sure of this) did they gain access to inside the house to look around? Would this be allowed to make sure she wasn't injured inside? Something happened IMO and they know about it - enough to return with a search warrant twice that has been sealed. luminol may have revealed blood? no idea - but it was something to call in the others
JMO

I tend to think that if the CBI wasn’t called that night, it was early the next day.

I’m sure law enforcement would have searched that house, as her life could have been in jeopardy (exigency existed).

They wouldn’t have used luminol at that point, as that would have been done with trained forensic experts, almost certainly with a warrant in hand.

So if law enforcement did discover something inside the house that night, I think it was readily visible to the naked eye.

This could explain the quick call to the CBI.

Not sure if this could be related to Suzanne’s case or not but this is a rural and mountainous location just under 2 hours east of Salida/Maysville.

Homicide investigation underway after body found on Highway 24
10:40am July 31, 2020

A homicide investigation is underway after a body was found on Highway 24 near Cascade, according to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

Westbound Highway 24 is shut down near Cascade between Wellington Road and Cave Of The Winds Road. Originally, the closure was in both directions of Highway 24.

Homicide investigation underway after body found on Highway 24

Map
Colorado Department of Transportation - Travel Alerts - Road Report

EPSO detectives investigating possible homicide on Highway 24 near Cacade. More info to follow. PIO enroute.
https://twitter.com/epcsheriff/status/1289200786338013184?s=21
Cascade, CO could be on the way to Denver ,depending on the route taken, according to Google Maps
Screenshot_2020-07-31 Salida to Cascade.png

JMO

I tend to think that if the CBI wasn’t called that night, it was early the next day.

I’m sure law enforcement would have searched that house, as her life could have been in jeopardy (exigency existed).

They wouldn’t have used luminol at that point, as that would have been done with trained forensic experts, almost certainly with a warrant in hand.

So if law enforcement did discover something inside the house that night, I think it was readily visible to the naked eye.

Edited to fix dates: The first time the CBI and FBI are included as part of the search in the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office Press Release is on May 13, 2020. (I had posted the 16th but Massguy found an earlier date. Thank you Massguy!):

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

“In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.”

Last edited:
Early on, Fire Chief floated the idea that Suzanne's bike ride was typically on the morning on Sundays (which IMO he could only know via BM).
I've seen this idea that BM had to be the source (after her disappearance), but other than to fit the narrative that has been pushed that BM has been a master manipulator trying to control the narrative, is there some evidence that SM was terribly secretive of her biking habits to her church friends and others? Was she afraid they would string her up if they learned she liked to bike on the Lord's day?

It seemed she was friendly and talkative and involved in their church (that IIRC the fire chief also attends) and if she indeed biked on Sunday mornings, it seems likely it would be somewhat common knowledge based on how long the Morphews lived there.

Or do people simply not believe she had a habit of biking on Sundays (and who knows on how many other days), so that's why they think the idea was planted as part of a BM strategy?

The first time the CBI and FBI are included as part of the search in the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office Press Release is on May 16, 2020. (They were not included in the previous day’s, May 15th, press release):

Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 16, 2020​

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Although they weren’t mentioned in the May 15 press release, they were mentioned in the press conference that day.

ETA: They were in fact mentioned in the May 13 press release.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

I went back to this report:
MISSING: Colorado woman vanishes after going for a bike ride
According to the report, Maysville has a population of 135 people.

The Chafee County Sheriff’s Office launched a search for Morphew, with a crew of 100 people joined by tracking dogs provided by the Department of Corrections. After failing to locate Morphew on Sunday, authorities searched again on Monday, and as of late Monday had not found any sign of the missing woman.

Morphew’s Facebook page indicates that she has daughters, though it is unclear if she is currently living with anyone
----
They gathered 100 people that night with tracking dogs in a town with a population of 135 - so what all agencies and people were involved I wonder?

And interesting - Ellen's last sentence BBM - wonder what made her say that?
I also think she went missing May 8 - 11 weeks ago today. Although I have considered very late Thursday evening on the 7th
JMO

So many questions about those first hours. Did the girls arrive home before BM? Did they let LE into the house? When the search dogs were brought in, did they not react at all in the area where the bike was found? Did BM stay in communication with LE during his drive back? Did the neighbor have security cameras & did LE immediately view them? Were the FF buddies on scene and reporting back to BM? Where were BM’s workers that week-were they in town or on their way up to Denver? Did he have a split crew? Did anyone else hear the machinery at night at the jobsite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli