Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up across the pond and completely agree with all the WOWs and BAMs.

As often happens, I think phone evidence is going to be critical and it's *lucky* there's no landline as everything else should be traceable.

I'm really interested in the nature of the convo between SM and her friend, if anything was mentioned about relationships etc. I know people often skip the heavy stuff for various reasons, but an old friend would likely pick up on something being off kilter.

As others have said, ended abruptly how? An unanswered question, no farewell sign off? Must have been something along those lines.

Why? What happened at that time to interrupt the conversation on text?

If this was unplanned (some elements still raise a hmmm for me on this, but I'm starting to be convinced these are coincidental) and if he did have help, there will be interesting phone records between him and a third party, at crucial time points. For myself, I dont think a third party was involved at that particular time but maybe since.

The PE piece being in the public domain is going to put immense pressure on BM and may be news to the girls. I hope someone is closely taking care of their wellbeing.

All JMO.

I am sure some of us have been paying attention to the others who may have “helped” BM. I would not be surprised either way. It is funny sometimes how rumors can actually contain little tidbits of the truth. At this point I am hoping the floodgates open and more people start to come forward to put the focus squarely where it belongs. I’m even madder about those land deals now. What a piece of work this guy is. Talk about the stones on him.

I summarized the first 45 minutes of PE live tonight and at the time, the cars in the driveway translating to the birth of the bike ride were unclear then, and still confusing the second time listened. :eek:

I'm still under the impression that the host believes the neighbor did not recognize the vehicles as BM (or Morphew household). Surely the neighbor knows which vehicles belong, right?

I'm wondering if visiting vehicles was meant to be the birth of SM biking with visitors. I really don't know. I just think the host wanted to convey that the vehicles present in the driveway did not belong to any of the Morphew residents. MOO
Re the vehicles, stepping carefully as I'm aware of sleuthing boundaries for family members.

But let's say hypothetically a group go off on a trip together - it's not unusual to meet up at one house, leave your car there and share transport. So that could explain them not being recognised.

No foundation, just a thought.

I’m confused about the car situation as well. Why would BM ask the neighbor to go check on the house/cars if he knew the vehicles parked there weren’t theirs? Did he park a friends car there? Did he ask a friend to park there? If so, why? Were the cars still there when LE arrived? MOO

I think maybe the friend was helping with the cleaning or something else in the house? Since the concern about SM not answering the phone was raised, possibly, sooner than LE had expected, he wanted to know if the cleaning was finished, or not? His future actions could be planned depending on the answer. (e.g. no “other” cars in front of the house - then, ask the neighbor to enter the house and check. The cars still there - check the garage for the bike). MOO

Last edited:
Before the fact, during the event or after the fact. If there is another person involved, they're just as culpable, if I'm not mistaken.
The deterrent of life is prison is a damn good reason to keep your mouth shut.
And, it could be the clincher that LE is awaiting - a plea with a sweet deal. Maybe.
IMO

Well, there's a legal difference between accomplice liability for assisting in an actual crime (principal) versus liability for aiding a person after the commission of a crime (accessory after the fact). If a person assists in planning & carrying out a crime, then -- yes -- one is equally culpable as the perpetrator. This is why a get-away driver is as culpable as the actual bank robber.

The punishment for an accessory after the fact varies from state to state. The feds can punish such an accessory with a sentence up to half of what a principal could receive. 18 U.S. Code § 3. Here in Indiana, the level of punishment that an accessory after the fact may receive varies depending on the level of crime of the principals, and -- interestingly -- provides that parents, children, and spouses cannot be charged with assisting a criminal. Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-5.

in 2017, the morphews moved from suzanne's beloved indiana, to colorado. we are not sure who's idea it was and for what reason they moved, other than it was possibly to be closer to one of the girls who was about to go to college there. could it have possibly been BM's idea to move them to a secluded area of the state where there is barely cell phone access?

the girls take off on a trip out of state on the week before mother's day. it is unknown who exactly they were with while travelling. is it possible that BM planned that trip to get them away from the home?

the cameras were out at the morphew home, where, based on TD, there are cameras on every corner. could BM have had anything to do with the malfunction of those cameras?

suzanne stops texting her best friend about an important wedding. suddenly. could that be bc BM had subdued her?

barry is out of town for work when suzanne goes missing. conveniently.

immediately as it becomes known that suzanne is missing, a theory or 3 are thrown out by BM, especially the "went on a bike ride" theory, almost pointing to the eventual discovery of her bike being found later, as well as the item.

as far as we know, suzanne's bike was found on the day of, or around the time, she was reported missing. an additional item was found soon thereafter. no fingerprints, no tracks, no sign of a struggle. around this same time, an email was sent to suzanne's church stating that she had possibly been attacked by a mountain lion. who emailed the church, and why so soon after she had only been reported missing for a few hours?

TD runs into BM not once, but TWICE, and lands a conversation with him. in that conversation, we are given the 3 theories by BM: abduction, mountain lion, accident. no emotion. uses plurals: "WE think, WE know, THEY f'ed it up." oh, and "let me show you what happened."

the day suzanne goes missing is mother's day, a day that we generally spend appreciating our moms, and our wives, but no one is home with suzanne that entire day, and her girls cannot get in touch with her.

so, they move to the middle of nowhere with no close neighbors. the cameras are broken. cell phone usage is shady at best. the girls are out of town. barry is away on a business trip. it's mother's day. no fingerprints found on the bike. no tire tracks found around the bike. 3 possible theories thrown out there immediately by BM within our of his wife's disappearance.

all of the above, if considered individually, could be a bit suspect, but when you combine all those facts together, IMO you get a picture of what could possibly be a well-thought out, premeditated, and months, if not years-long, PLAN. and as the picture becomes a little bit clearer, i'd bet someone very close to BM (a woman, but not a girlfriend, and/ or a male best friend) helped him out along the way, at least in the final stages. i sincerely hope i am totally off-track.

MOO.

Well, that's what he said he told Suzanne. One of the cars may have belonged to her. I was trying to answer the question about why PE said this was how the bike story was born. I think when the neighbor called back and reported there were cars in the driveway, BM suggested she went for a bike ride and asked her to check for it in the garage.

I'd like to know if the cars belonged to the Morphews and if the Morphews normally parked inside the garage. The photos of the Morphew property show a 3-car garage, but people often park outside a garage if the garage is used for other purposes (workshop, art studio).

Aaaaaaaaaaand, that's a wrap!

So much material to unpack here.

Turns out, when they said they had new information, they weren't just whistling Dixie.

Yes it was informative. I went back and watched it a second time to try to absorb everything shared. The 2 former LE, Mike King and Chris McDonough are very experienced and bring a wealth of knowledge and insight to us. They are also careful not to call anyone out per say but highlight inconsistencies.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I think that he wanted to do some real estate sell and SM was not into doing it, so he fixed that got rid of Suzanne and then within 2 weeks went to court in Indiana to become guardian of her finances,who does that? if your spouse is missing going to court to handle the finances is the last thing you do unless of course you are BM, or Chad and Lori Daybell.

Murders have happened for lesser motives but it seems extreme tbh for a piece of property to be a catalyst. And someone with two daughters to take care of, plus college age with those expenses, their own business to run and regular monthly expenses it doesn’t seem too irrational to take the steps to pay bills and keep a business going while this is stretching into the 3rd month.

I am not exonerating BM only trying to look at it from another POV.

I’m confused about the car situation as well. Why would BM ask the neighbor to go check on the house/cars if he knew the vehicles parked there weren’t theirs? Did he park a friends car there? Did he ask a friend to park there? If so, why? Were the cars still there when LE arrived? MOO

Idk why but I am under the impression that there were 2 cars there per the neighbor who went to check on SM but they were cars known to or belonging to Suzanne and possibly one of the girls. It was clearly stated BM vehicle wasn’t there.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I had this picture in my mind of him coming up behind her as she sat in one of those big living room chairs texting with her friend. And then he .........
Yes based on the new PE video (I posted it to the media thread) I’m very afraid he was overcome with rage and maybe wanted to knock the phone (I think it was a phone not a computer) out of her hands and hit her head and couldn’t stop? And since LE hasn’t commented on her cellphone when asked (media thread) maybe they have it?
I don’t think he cleaned up well either
JMO

Im blown away by this video of PE. They really did not disappoint!

It really feels like things are coming together.
The communication with Suzanne her dear friend came to a halt Saturday evening.
Then the noises on the worksite of BM that was heard by the neighbor that weekend. (let me just guess, late Saturday night would fit perfectly after the communication disruption with Suzanne her friend <--- Speculation)
BM said to the family he left at 5 AM Sunday morning while Suzanne was still asleep.

Who then goes to a worksite for 16 hours. That is a really long day. o_O

Im really curious to see the cellphone records.

Jmo

BM said that the workers were expected up in Denver on Monday, if I'm not mistaken. That's why he was going up ahead of time to set everything up?

And you always leave at 5am on a Sunday, during a pandemic, when pretty much everything is closed...
to set things up for a job that starts the following day.
o_O

I think she was opposed to Barry buying his mother a house with their money. Barry found a way.
Pure speculation but I think the PE segment was perhaps purposely vague about the cars. The cars could have belonged to the “cleanup” crew. The neighbor may have later been unclear about the exact type of cars when chatting with LE but remembered enough to give LE a pretty good idea. This may be a message to the car owners - we know you were there. Please come forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot