Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great questions !

Did BM sleep at all Sat. night ?
I'm thinking not.

Speculation :
The energy (I hate typing this but having spent too much time here at WS) he'd have, if an irrevocable deed was committed would have him up and busy for a day or even two.
Did he spend time (assuming that he did) with his daughters or friends in the following days and did he seem exhausted ?
Where others would think he was distraught, but in fact he was struggling from lack of sleep with some paranoia thrown in ?
MOO
I don’t think there’s a chance he slept. He had work to do, and a limited time with which to do it.

Because I don’t believe this was premeditated, this is how I imagine it went down.

At some point early on Saturday night, BM and Suzanne have an unprecedented argument, one that leads to violence. The act itself either killed her, or her felt he had to kill her in order to cover up the act.

He would have been panicking, and trying to figure out how he was going to get away with it.

In no particular order, he had to clean, load her body in a vehicle, dump the bicycle, hide her body, and come up with a way to form an alibi.

My sense is that this job was not originally planned, but he decided to use it to his benefit. I think any workers were contacted at some point during this coverup: “This is what we’re doing Monday.”

If he checked into a hotel, I think it was booked last minute. He may have even been a walk in.

No time for sleep, and just enough time to pull off what he needed to do. I also think BM was unlucky, and Suzanne’s disappearance was noticed a bit sooner than he wanted.

I definitely think he was paranoid and overtired in the ensuing days. I can’t imagine the stress he must have felt when law enforcement didn’t buy whatever it was he was trying to sell (I think stranger abduction, but it could have been an animal attack I guess).

If we think things are suspicious now, I think we’re going to be shocked by how sloppy this all was. Fortunately for BM, they haven’t found Suzanne’s body.

That’s going to be the one thing he got right. Ultimately, I don’t expect it to matter.

I can relate to celebrating holidays on different days. I think the significance in this case though is all of the ironies and inconsistencies that go along with the way this particular Mother's Day unfolded. There is evidence that doesn't add up to stories that don't make sense. We could exclude the fact that it was Mothers Day, and the concerns would be the same. But since it was a day to celebrate her, it makes it a little more heartwrenching. Jmho.
Totally agree. The day could have been ANY, and it’s still tragic. Add to that BM, in his own words, said he “normally” wouldn’t work on Sunday, so why THAT Sunday?

Also, I definitely don’t want to get into the polygraph debate because I have mixed feelings about it.

What bothers me about the “polygraph” isn’t whether he should/shouldn’t, It’s the FACT that he’s LIED about it! In his own words, BM tells TD he’s been cleared, and also LIES to the family to say he has taken one. Can we really believe anything that comes from his mouth??

I don’t think there’s a chance he slept. He had work to do, and a limited time with which to do it.

Because I don’t believe this was premeditated, this is how I imagine it went down.

At some point early on Saturday night, BM and Suzanne have an unprecedented argument, one that leads to violence. The act itself either killed her, or her felt he had to kill her in order to cover up the act.

He would have been panicking, and trying to figure out how he was going to get away with it.

In no particular order, he had to clean, load her body in a vehicle, dump the bicycle, hide her body, and come up with a way to form an alibi.

My sense is that this job was not originally planned, but he decided to use it to his benefit. I think any workers were contacted at some point during this coverup: “This is what we’re doing Monday.”

If he checked into a hotel, I think it was booked last minute. He may have even been a walk in.

No time for sleep, and just enough time to pull off what he needed to do. I also think BM was unlucky, and Suzanne’s disappearance was noticed a bit sooner than he wanted.

I definitely think he was paranoid and overtired in the ensuing days. I can’t imagine the stress he must have felt when law enforcement didn’t buy whatever it was he was trying to sell (I think stranger abduction, but it could have been an animal attack I guess).

If we think things are suspicious now, I think we’re going to be shocked by how sloppy this all was. Fortunately for BM, they haven’t found Suzanne’s body.

That’s going to be the one thing he got right. Ultimately, I don’t expect it to matter.
I think this is probably how it went down, also.

In the interview with AM, he talks about how exhausted and stressed BM was and chalked it up to SM missing at the time. Now, I believe he knows better. JMO

No body no crime? Except when LE from CO is involved ... but the waiting is difficult
JMO

I have thought for a long time now that this property that he bought immediately following her disappearance was most likely what may have started a fight that night. IMO, she did not want him to buy the property and he was not hearing it. He lost control and killed her.
Perhaps that property was a bone of contention for SM and the last straw for him. But why? Why would that conjure up such a rage in BM to lash out at his wife and mortally wound her? It’s merely a piece of land. They had a house, expensive vehicles, lavish vacations and what all. Why would he kill his wife because she doesn’t want to buy a property? There’s got to be much more to this story than that property. MOO

I have thought for a long time now that this property that he bought immediately following her disappearance was most likely what may have started a fight that night. IMO, she did not want him to buy the property and he was not hearing it. He lost control and killed her.

There are so many things I can think of that could have escalated violence on Saturday night (in the empty household) that led to SM's death but I completely agree that the Salida lot purchase could definitely be one of them.

I'm pulling on the old adage that behind every successful man is a woman, and in this case, I think it's very much been the rule.

For all the speculation that SM had money, I'm more inclined to believe that SM simply managed the income BM generated over their nearly 30 years together very well.

Public records indicate SM purchased and sold numerous pieces of real estate and vacant land in Indiana over 20+ year period, albeit jointly with her husband.

Nonetheless, I see BM is an impulsive and greedy investor. BM presents to me as one that could easily fall prey to the property developer risk thrill where he's leveraged to his teeth but when the investor shows up to take the entire work off his hands it's a fantastic payday -- unless things out of your control keep the investors away and you lose everything! BM has watched his commercial clients play real estate roulette for his entire adult career, and I see a man that always wants more, and bigger if not better.

I also think that BM had the cash proceeds from their IN residence burning a hole in his pocket before the balloon payment was even due (i.e., June Guardianship transaction). I think BM wanted to use those proceeds to purchase the lot in the subdivision (14 residential lots) marketed only one mile from downtown Salida.

As a good steward of their money, I think SM probably saw two college tuitions in their future, and did not agree to this being the right purchase for them at this time.

And what if we add some fuel to this decision with BM's idea of building a residence on the lot for his dearest family member. I think that could really heat things up......I mostly think it could heat up BM. MOO

Last edited:
Totally agree. The day could have been ANY, and it’s still tragic. Add to that BM, in his own words, said he “normally” wouldn’t work on Sunday, so why THAT Sunday?

Also, I definitely don’t want to get into the polygraph debate because I have mixed feelings about it.

What bothers me about the “polygraph” isn’t whether he should/shouldn’t, It’s the FACT that he’s LIED about it! In his own words, BM tells TD he’s been cleared, and also LIES to the family to say he has taken one. Can we really believe anything that comes from his mouth??
I do think there are specks of truth sprinkled in, but I cant even imagine the burden of sorting through this mess and proving whats true or false.

If LS is lucky enough to get another interview with BM, I wonder if she could ask him which of the two stories he’s spun about his whereabouts on Sunday is true? Was he in Denver getting ready for a new job or fixing a crooked wall in Colorado Springs? It’s not a hard question. Oh, and while she’s at it, she could ask him for clarification on what mechanical thing he did to his cat Bob, where exactly he performed that work and at what time. And, I’d also like to know what he and Suzanne were up to on Saturday. Did they go for a walk, a drive, a bike ride (I had to throw that in), have dinner together, WHAT exactly!?! What did SM do on the last day of her life?!? What were YOU doing BM on the last day of her life!?!

Repeat, must have patience, must have patience, must have patience.

I wonder if she was allowed to ask anything at all. I applaud her for her efforts but it wasn’t like a sit down interview where no question is off the table. Most likely Barry would not agree to that. I do hope she is able to ask more pointed questions, such as you mentioned, if she can convince him to speak with her again.

Perhaps that property was a bone of contention for SM and the last straw for him. But why? Why would that conjure up such a rage in BM to lash out at his wife and mortally wound her? It’s merely a piece of land. They had a house, expensive vehicles, lavish vacations and what all. Why would he kill his wife because she doesn’t want to buy a property? There’s got to be much more to this story than that property. MOO
perhaps it was a cumulative of things a struggling business, failed MLB career, feeling pressured to be the good family dad, never really accomplished anything spectacular and im sure in his own mind hes a victim in all these scenarios and feels likes hes owed something by the world, so one that day when she said no the total lack of power or importance could have become to much. Now i literally have no proof of this. It could have been something way simpler

If you think about it, he really doesn’t have a hell of a lot to lose by lying.

He’s already lost law enforcement, as they clearly believe he’s responsible for what happened to Suzanne.

What’s left? The public, his family, and his friends. I think it’s plainly obvious that image is important to him, and he’s salvaging what he can.

It’s not like law enforcement is going to come out and say “everything that man has said is BS.”

That’s what arrest warrants are for.

It doesn't matter if we believe it. The more I see this man in action (i.e., inaction), the more I think that Barry only cares about what he thinks. That's what's important because that's what he plans to sell. I'm beginning to think BM must also be a master at compartmentalizing his lies. Otherwise, I don't know how he could get out of bed every day. MOO

I wonder if she was allowed to ask anything at all. I applaud her for her efforts but it wasn’t like a sit down interview where no question is off the table. Most likely Barry would not agree to that. I do hope she is able to ask more pointed questions, such as you mentioned, if she can convince him to speak with her again.
I think we all would like specific answers, but I dont think we will get them until we see an arrest affidavit. Lauren said today on PE that she is witholding information that Barry told her. Until he is named a POI/Suspect, I believe Lauren will remain as neutral as possible with what she shares outside of facts or confirmed information. Jmho.

To be honest I doubt she’ll get another interview with BM and if she did I doubt it would be fruitful in any meaningful way. BM isn’t going to answer any tough questions. At this point I feel her time would be better spent finding family, friends and coworkers and see what they have to say. I too applaud LS for her work on keeping SM in the spotlight and working with PE to keep the interest in this case and hopefully bring SM home for a respectful burial and to give her family peace.

I’m actually hoping there are no more interviews of BM, just an arrest. I’d rather read an AA than try to sift through his lies to find a morsel of truth.

That type of hate takes awhile to build up to. moo

To be honest I doubt she’ll get another interview with BM and if she did I doubt it would be fruitful in any meaningful way. BM isn’t going to answer any tough questions. At this point I feel her time would be better spent finding family, friends and coworkers and see what they have to say. I too applaud LS for her work on keeping SM in the spotlight and working with PE to keep the interest in this case and hopefully bring SM home for a respectful burial and to give her family peace.

I’m actually hoping there are no more interviews of BM, just an arrest. I’d rather read an AA than try to sift through his lies to find a morsel of truth.
Yeah, I agree. That ‘interview’ was a whole lot of nothing. All he can really say now is: ‘Well I talked. What else do you want?’

Yeah, I agree. That ‘interview’ was a whole lot of nothing. All he can really say now is: ‘Well I talked. What else do you want?’
part of me wonders if the family had given him some kind of ultimatum like "do something to help or where taking over" and maybe this was a last ditch effort to maintain control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08