Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish LE would give us a timeline. Also, in the Jayme Closs case LE asked local people to think back to their husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, colleagues, neighbors etc that came home displaying suspicious behaviour. This, I feel, would be a good request in SM's situation.

I feel they would request that if they needed to. But I think they have a fair idea of what happened. I could be completely wrong though.

I feel they would request that if they needed to. But I think they have a fair idea of what happened. I could be completely wrong though.
I agree. I've seen that request before - when people are asked to think about any injuries, changes in appearance or behavior, etc. of people they know. When I think about it, that request seems to happen in cases when they are searching for an unknown suspect.

That doesn't seem to be what is happening with this investigation. I'm putting "random stranger" way down at the bottom of my list of possibilities.

jmo

IMO what I find interesting about the Sheriff's request re: security cameras was that he did not say to review camera footage for suspicious activity or sightings of SM. He said to preserve the footage for later use. To me, this indicates they don't currently need help in the investigation & that they basically know what happened. They want footage preserved for later use, maybe in a trial. There is also no sense of urgency to spot footage of SM, indicating they know her last whereabouts & also do not intend to urgently locate her in the case of a live person lost in the woods, for example. Interesting.

IMO what I find interesting about the Sheriff's request re: security cameras was that he did not say to review camera footage for suspicious activity or sightings of SM. He said to preserve the footage for later use. To me, this indicates they don't currently need help in the investigation & that they basically know what happened. They want footage preserved for later use, maybe in a trial. There is also no sense of urgency to spot footage of SM, indicating they know her last whereabouts & also do not intend to urgently locate her in the case of a live person lost in the woods, for example. Interesting.
ITA.

I think the footage will be used, if needed, to piece together movement of their suspect during that time frame.

jmo

I think the sheriff is hedging his bets. He’s thought from early on that he knows what happened, but his investigation so far has not turned up enough evidence for an arrest. So now he’s doing what he should have done a week ago—asking people to preserve camera footage just in case there’s something on there to advance a case.

The timeline of the footage he’s asking to be preserved could support all kinds of different resolutions—stalker, local perp, even a voluntary disappearance. I think the footage from the 11th and 12th could be particularly valuable if there’s any concern that a perp returned to either look for Suzanne’s personal property, or plant that personal property. Best case is if Suzanne herself is seen sometime after the 10th.

You make a really important point here about the apparent lack of any sense of urgency about the video request.
At first, when I read yesterday's update I thought it sounded a lot like shutting the barn door after the horses were gone.
Which would truly be a rather novice move by not only the sheriff's office but them as well as the CBI and FBI.
Highly unlikely agents from all three would be smacking themselves on the forehead and going
"oh yeah, what about Ring cams and security footage!? We should totally ask around about those!"
Nope, this request for preserving footage is to reconcile whatever other evidence they've already found, and lock down a timeline.

jmo

One of the more out there scenarios I've entertained has been a stalker in IN who perhaps prompted the move to CO. Stalker then shows up in CO. In that scenario, it's likely her husband knew all about it.

Far fetched, right?

I do think we are going to see something big very soon. I think LE had a very good idea of what happened quite early.

In retrospect, I also wonder if LE didn't coach that whole video her husband did with cues from profilers and such, being careful to make sure there was no mention of LE in it, for whatever reason.

MOO

@AmberJoCooper

Chaffee County residents are being asked to preserve any and all video footage from devices such as Ring doorbells, security cameras, game cameras, etc., from May 8 through May 12.

So the Sheriff's gave out a Reverse 911 call about this last night.

As I understand it, the land area covered by the Reverse 911 call request is quite broad.

Does anyone have any idea of how far from her home the Sheriff is requesting people save video footage?

Was it all of Chaffee County or only the southern area like Salida along Highway 50?

Last edited:
I am having the same feeling. This isn't a person lost in the woods.

This is LE trying to verify her last location, because perhaps they don't have any evidence of that right now.

and/or

Verify the location of somebody else.
And to lock in someone's account of their movements.

If a suspect has been/will be interviewed about whereabouts during that time frame, LE will be able to confirm the truthfulness by checking video.

Smart move, imo.

jmo

Maybe BM was acting against the advice of LE in making the video and that's why his plea is not made alongside LE.

Maybe he isn't comfortable doing nothing and feeling powerless, he made the video as a way to be active and not passive in spite of being asked to stay silent.

Maybe LE's advice was in his head about not speaking to an abductor and that is why he strangely switches mid-sentence from asking for her return, to speaking directly to Suzanne.

Just musings on my part - I thought the video was strange, but it must be a horrible situation to be in - wife missing and so little time to do the right thing to find her. I would be conflicted and full of doubt about how the case is being handled, as well. JMO

One of the more out there scenarios I've entertained has been a stalker in IN who perhaps prompted the move to CO. Stalker then shows up in CO. In that scenario, it's likely her husband knew all about it.

Far fetched, right?

I do think we are going to see something big very soon. I think LE had a very good idea of what happened quite early.

In retrospect, I also wonder if LE didn't coach that whole video her husband did with cues from profilers and such, being careful to make sure there was no mention of LE in it, for whatever reason.

MOO

I agree with this theory.

MOO

Maybe, LE/FBI have already someone on their radar since before SM going missing and want to know, if the person was seen in that area between May, 8th and 12th. Maybe something important is pointing to this person as a possible perp and he was indeed absent from his home during exactly this time? The person hasn't to be from CO, could be also IN for example. MOO

Hallo @FromGermany! :)Schoen Dich hier zu sehen. Kenne Dich vom dem Delphi blog. :)

The Morphew home is fairly remote.

I know that in semi-quarantine, I am having a lot more stuff delivered to my house than I normally would. (thanks Amazon!)

I know some of the Amazon drivers, especially earlier on, were using non-marked vehicles or vans and weren't wearing a uniform, so it was a bit disconcerting trying to figure out who they were when the Ring or the security camera caught them.

Would UPS, UPSP, or FedEX normally deliver directly to their home or would deliveries be left at a central depot in Mayville or Salida, for example?

Would the Morphew's get mail delivery at their home or would there be maiboxes nearer Route 225 and Highway 50 or even in Mayville or Monarch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member