Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Sheriff's gave out a Reverse 911 call about this last night.

As I understand it, the land area covered by the Reverse 911 call request is quite broad.

Does anyone have any idea of how far from her home the Sheriff is requesting people save video footage?

Was it all of Chaffee County or only the southern area like Salida along Highway 50?
This may have been answered, I am couple pages behind this morning. I live in El Paso county and have used an app called Everbridge to register our cell phones for reverse 911 in case of fire/weather emergency notices. Looks like Chaffee County does the same. If you still have a landline, you are automatically going to be called, mobile phones must be registered. I have no idea if they can send alerts to only certain neighborhoods or zip codes though.
Here is a press release from April 2018 urging residents to register:

Reminder to register your cell phone with Everbridge to receive emergency notifications - Chaffee County Sheriff

Praying for SM’s safe return. It seems unusual to me that she wouldn’t bring her phone with her for the ride, considering there are many ways that you can store or wear (e.g., armband) a phone while exercising. I hope LE is able to recover useful information from it.

Do we know the condition of her bike when found? Does it look like it was hit by a car?

As cleared up by a mod and others last night - LE has NOT said if a bike was found. Only a nephew has stated, via local media, that a bike was found. And the nephew has not stated via MSM anything about location or condition or where he got his information in the first place since it’s my understanding he doesn’t live in the area and was not a part of any searches.

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

This is straight from the investigators. Suzanne went for a bike ride on May 10th.
Technically, they were told she went for a bike ride via the 911 call from the neighbor/friend - link posted in media thread.

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

This is straight from the investigators. Suzanne went for a bike ride on May 10th.

This May 13 press release could just be based on information gleaned from statements by family and friends. I doubt by May 13 LE had used all of the investigative tools available, such as electronic and digital data. IMHO.

A question about how people use Facebook.

So many people collect friends on FB. Why would someone like Suzanne, with the numerous family, friends and contacts the Morphew family has, have no ‘friends’ on her profile?

Why would someone use it solely to post photos of herself, husband and girls on vacation?

Thanks - I’m not a FB user, just an interested observer.

A lot of people have their "friend list" privacy protected and turned off, so that the only people that can see the list, are friends of the user already on that list.
Likewise, the only posts non-friends can see, are the posts marked as "public".
For all we know, Suzanne was posting every day, 5 times a day.
Unless we were already her friend on there, we'd never see it, because it's not public.
You can get some idea of who the friends are, by mousing over the "thumbs up" icon under posts or pics.

I hope that makes sense.

Praying for SM’s safe return. It seems unusual to me that she wouldn’t bring her phone with her for the ride, considering there are many ways that you can store or wear (e.g., armband) a phone while exercising. I hope LE is able to recover useful information from it.

From looking at the aerial photo posted earlier, it looks like they live in what I would call the wilderness. Probably no cell service there.

PRESS RELEASE

May 13, 2020

The press release is from May 13.

On May 17, LE asked people to preserve video that goes back two days before her disappearance.

That leads me to think that between the press release on May 13 and the request for video preservation on May 17, LE has learned something that makes the May 10 bike ride questionable.

My opinion only. I'm certainly not on the investigative team, but am looking at developments over time from my armchair. From how I see it, the only thing we know for sure that happened on May 10 is that SM was reported missing.

jmo

Last edited:
This May 13 press release could just be based on information gleaned from statements by family and friends. I doubt by May 13 LE had used all of the investigative tools available, such as electronic and digital data. IMHO.

From the same May 13th press release, Sheriff Spezze lists all the agencies assisting in the search:

"A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort."

video can be so important IMO. I don't understand why this would not be a request on day 1 of a person going missing.
JMO
My guess is that LE assumed the Sunday bike ride story was legit and kept their area of attention around the house and nearby trails.

My guess is they don't assume that anymore.

jmo

Well, they aren't Indiana residents any more and apparently haven't been since late 2018.

Let me say that a trust is a specific instrument that would need to take the deeds to all their community property, move then into a trust, and name specific trustees to benefit but not BM, the husband.

Personally, I think if there were any evidence of a wife going to those lengths to disinherit her husband, it's a pretty specific action. It involves taking community property and converting it to another kind. Now, it's possible their holdings (now sold, I believe) in Indiana could have been part of such an unusual, disinherit-the-husband trust, but surely the husband had to sign the transfer deed? Do you really think Suzanne hold all property in her own right, such that her husband never minded not being on the deed for his own home? Sounds really really strange (and specific) to me.

But I believe their assets are mostly tied up in that $1.7M house (possibly 1.5M) that they purchased before selling their $750,000 house in Indiana, along with some acreage.

Trusts are for death, IMO. However, a trust that acts as a retroactive pre-nup would indeed be interesting and fall under my rubric of "unusual financial arrangement," and to me, that's a pretty narrow and specific category.

I am quite aware that death and divorce are not the same. I think most of us are. But any arrangements made by Suzanne were made before either one of those occurred.

I don't know how SM and BM hold their assets. Neither do you. My post was aimed at correcting the impression that it would take some kind of legal wizardry for the marital estate to have a less than equal distribution upon death. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy