Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am SO sick of women going jogging, bike riding, walking, running errands and NEVER COMING BACK.
I assume the neighbor that reported her missing has been cleared? Can anyone tell me why the neighbor even knew she was missing?
I am hoping that they are keeping info close to the vest because they have some suspects on the forefront. Otherwise, IMO, major disservice to Suzanne and her family that the feds are not coming out and saying that it is a likely abduction.
Time is passing...if she was abducted people forget fairly quickly. In the area....was there a man who was "missing" on Mother's Day for an extended time? Did someone recently change their appearance or had their car/truck detailed? Did someone return home with scratches, injuries, etc. etc. Did someone in the public see something that they aren't even aware of what they saw?
I just find this lockdown of info SO frustrating and really, of no value.
bbm
Good question.
No, we don't know.

And it's a given this neighbor wasn't sitting by their window, waiting for Suzanne to return from her bike ride.
People have busy lives and not even relatives will sit and wait for you to return.

Possible a family member called the neighbor at some point to do a welfare check ?
According to msm the rest of the family was away that weekend, so they wouldn't know when Suzanne set out on her ride.
Because if she was biking it would be safe to assume a family member would grow worried if they couldn't contact her.

I am another person intrigued and perplexed by this missing person's report. I was reading in the posts in a previous thread, which is now closed for further remarks. I will copy it below. I don't agree with this comment. Suzanne made this comment: Thank you, I am so blessed by Him (I believe she is referring to God, not Barry).

Seeing these facebook pics it looks to me like her husband is very loving to her. She even said in a comment, "so blessed by him".

I saw that comment of hers on her FB and I do agree she meant she is so blessed by God, not by her husband, although she might also feel that way about him (lowercase).
When a Christian person (which I believe she is, based on all I've read about her) capitalizes the H in the word "him", they are without a doubt speaking about God or Jesus. I won't drop a doctrine/theology lesson here but I assure you this is what "Him" means to a Christian. :)

I am SO sick of women going jogging, bike riding, walking, running errands and NEVER COMING BACK.
I assume the neighbor that reported her missing has been cleared? Can anyone tell me why the neighbor even knew she was missing?
I am hoping that they are keeping info close to the vest because they have some suspects on the forefront. Otherwise, IMO, major disservice to Suzanne and her family that the feds are not coming out and saying that it is a likely abduction.
Time is passing...if she was abducted people forget fairly quickly. In the area....was there a man who was "missing" on Mother's Day for an extended time? Did someone recently change their appearance or had their car/truck detailed? Did someone return home with scratches, injuries, etc. etc. Did someone in the public see something that they aren't even aware of what they saw?
I just find this lockdown of info SO frustrating and really, of no value.
BBM: I totally agree with this. I think that's why the husband's nephew stepped in, too much focus on the husband and not the suspect. Sheriff should have been asking right away for info from the public.

bbm
Good question.
No, we don't know.

And it's a given this neighbor wasn't sitting by their window, waiting for Suzanne to return from her bike ride.
People have busy lives and not even relatives will sit and wait for you to return.

Possible a family member called the neighbor at some point to do a welfare check ?
According to msm the rest of the family was away that weekend, so they wouldn't know when Suzanne set out on her ride.
Because if she was biking it would be safe to assume a family member would grow worried if they couldn't contact her.
I wonder if a text message was sent to the neighbor by SM's phone (not necessarily SM herself), saying, "Hey, I'm going on a bike ride. If you don't hear back from me in an hour, please call 911." This would explain why the neighbor called 911, not the family.

Retaliation by targeting a family member or loved one happens in tv shows and movies all the time, but in real life, apart from organized crime or gangs, it's pretty uncommon. At least in my experience in 40+ years of following true crime.

jmo
Agreed I don't think this was some retaliation by someone outside of the family.

Come on LE, let's release something not so ambiguous.

Let's start with this: The item recovered that was deemed a "personal item" belonging to Suzanne. How do they know this was Suzanne's? Usually LE asks family to confirm such an item. But I get the feeling open communication between LE and family is not happening here.

Hope they can release a coherent and specific release soon for Suzanne.

I wonder if a text message was sent to the neighbor by SM's phone (not necessarily SM herself), saying, "Hey, I'm going on a bike ride. If you don't hear back from me in an hour, please call 911." This would explain why the neighbor called 911, not the family.
Good post !
Yes, it's possible -- but who does that ??
I like to take a brisk walk but have never considered telling anyone to call 911 !
If that was on my mind... *ahem* No walk that day for sure !

Come on LE, let's release something not so ambiguous.

Let's start with this: The item recovered that was deemed a "personal item" belonging to Suzanne. How do they know this was Suzanne's? Usually LE asks family to confirm such an item. But I get the feeling open communication between LE and family is not happening here.

Hope they can release a coherent and specific release soon for Suzanne.
I don’t think they need help, and that’s why they’re not communicating much with the public.

In a Facebook video released on Sunday, Morphew says, “Oh Suzanne, if anyone is out there and can hear this, that has you, please, we’ll do whatever it takes to bring you back. We love you, we miss you, your girls need you. No questions asked, however much they want – I will do whatever it takes to get you back. Honey, I love you, I want you back so bad.”
Missing woman’s husband pleads for her safe return

I don't think they're going to have a problem at all.
I believe the evidence they already have is already pointing them exactly where they need to be looking.

jmo
Where do you think the evidence is pointing ?
It sounds like you have some valid theories in mind.
I am genuinely curious.
I have some possibilities and will admit some cases have surprised me completely.

To my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't even released WHO saw her last? What was she wearing? Was she actually SEEN biking on Sunday or is the last time someone laid eyes on her before that. I'm assuming that she was NOT seen on Sunday because then, at the very least, they would have released what she was wearing, would they not?? At this point, the person that filed the missing person's report would be number 1 on the list, then the husband. LE has NOT said that anyone has been officially cleared, i.e. neighbor, husband...correct?

There are community property laws. Is there anything that makes you think that a coupled married 26 years wouldn't hold their assets in common? It's traditional to do so, and, under Colorado law and Indiana law, even if a spouse tries to separate their assets, if the asset/$ is acquired after the date of marriage, unless there's a very specific trust, the spouse typically inherits.

We don't have any reason to believe that Suzanne set up a separate trust that excluded her husband.

You do not need a "very specific trust." There are several straightforward ways to acquire flexibility over the way assets are distributed in a marital estate (either upon death or divorce). Furthermore, community property jurisdictions, like Colorado, recognize the existence of “separate property.” Separate property is property that a spouse owned before the marriage or that the spouse received as a gift during the marriage. And separate property does not become part of the marital estate simply because it is acquired during the marriage (even after 50 years of marriage).

Indiana, however, applies the principle of equitable distribution; it is not a community property jurisdiction. And it is also important to keep in mind that death and divorce are not the same (though I hear divorce can be as bad or worse than death).

The plea is only on FB?
Yes.
No public presser or LE present and no questions taken.
It would help to move forward in this case if more information was available or at least questions allowed.
We still don't know so many facts.
What was she wearing ?
What kind of bike and was it pristine or damaged ?
Was her phone found and whom did she talk with (not text as that can easily be sent by anyone) last ?
Shoes ?
Sunglasses ?
Was anything missing from the house ?
Was there a struggle at the house ? (if the alleged abductor surprised her at home)
Etc.
Just small questions that would help us to find Suzanne or answers leading to her being found.
It's been a week, it can't hurt to let the public know what to look for.
And if she's been kidnapped as the husband's plea seems to suggest, answering some or all of these questions will help to find her.
It would have helped to have answers to these questions by day 2 and not 7; but here we are.

To my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't even released WHO saw her last? What was she wearing? Was she actually SEEN biking on Sunday or is the last time someone laid eyes on her before that. I'm assuming that she was NOT seen on Sunday because then, at the very least, they would have released what she was wearing, would they not?? At this point, the person that filed the missing person's report would be number 1 on the list, then the husband. LE has NOT said that anyone has been officially cleared, i.e. neighbor, husband...correct?

Dialing 911 for a welfare check/possible missing person is not the same as "filing a missing person report." In this case, it's very likely that someone in the family, worried about Suzanne, called the nearest neighbor and that neighbor, upon not finding Suzanne, dialed 911. LE can file missing persons reports based on that and should do that.

I think we need to know way more before saying the neighbor would be #1 suspect. If the neighbor is a 90 year old lady, I'm not going down that road. If the neighbor is a teenage friend of the family, I'm also quite skeptical.

The neighbor got put in the middle of this, IMO.

And for anyone interested in the path that Suzanne apparently road her bike, another WSer (sorry I didn't keep the poster's name) posted this excellent map:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/suzanne-search-area-jpg.247034/

If someone can remind us who that was, we can all say thanks. Anyway, thank you for the map!

So, along what lines? May I ask? The first case I ever really followed on Websleuths was Gannon's. So many things happened in that case that you "veterans" already knew beforehand. The area just strikes me as too rural to have any video surveillance, not really populated anyways. No phone service=no pings....

I can't really answer that with any certainty of course, since we have no idea what (specifically) they've already collected as evidence.
Other than the nephew disclosing to the media that they found her bike Sunday night (same night she went missing) we have no idea what they've located (and processed yet, or not), or taken from the home, or her cell records, surveillance video, banking info, etc.

But we do know, they've conducted numerous searches, collected some things, and if they haven't been thoroughly processed yet, they will be, along with all the other things I've mentioned, and possibly more.

We also know what they (LE) are not saying, and how much info they're not disclosing to the public.
Such things that we always see in other missing cases like, advising everyone local to look on their property for anything out of the ordinary, check home surveillance or dash cams, giving any kind of description of her bike or what she might have been wearing, when she was known to be seen last, and so much more.
Sure they've said some of that, and set up a tip line, but they're not appealing to the public the way we'd normally see (IMO)

This is the stuff we almost always see in missing persons cases but for reasons they're keeping to themselves, LE isn't putting that out there.
For that reason, I believe it could be because the evidence they've already collected, whatever it is, has already answered some key questions for them.

Didn't really mean to be so long winded :)
And oh, yes... there will be pings. And a lack of them as well.

Looking forward to hearing another statement from LE tonight. Hopefully it will shed some more light on their findings. I also wonder when the next press conference will take place, as he said he would not hold them daily.
Usually LE does not hold a PC unless they have something significant to say, or they have made an arrest or the missing person has been found. Until then they may give regular updates as to where they are searching or just general statements like they are continuing the investigation and are following leads. Jmo

The plea is only on FB?

Well yes, but the family probably knows it is also all over other social media. Like Websleuths, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Newspapers are picking it up too. Merely posting on youtube is actually a pretty effective way to get word out about a case. At any rate, it's now all over the place, less than 24 hours later? I think it's not yet been 24 hours.

Any thoughts about the content of that youtube? This Pulitzer prize winning newspaper, which those of us who follow Gannon's case have real respect for, has published the story, with the video I believe:

Husband of missing Colorado woman issues appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member