Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not need a "very specific trust." There are several straightforward ways to acquire flexibility over the way assets are distributed in a marital estate (either upon death or divorce). Furthermore, community property jurisdictions, like Colorado, recognize the existence of “separate property.” Separate property is property that a spouse owned before the marriage or that the spouse received as a gift during the marriage. And separate property does not become part of the marital estate simply because it is acquired during the marriage (even after 50 years of marriage).

Indiana, however, applies the principle of equitable distribution; it is not a community property jurisdiction. And it is also important to keep in mind that death and divorce are not the same (though I hear divorce can be as bad or worse than death).

Thank you for this information, and welcome to Websleuths!

The only thing I know is that, AFAIK, she hadn't made it to an actual trail. She was headed toward one. Her bike was found near the intersection of two regular roads, and I'm unclear about the trail of evidence found away from the bike, but I think it too was near the 50.

Her brakes were found "super-jammed" according to a nephew (that's in MSM at this point). Any thoughts on how that could happen?

We don't know that she had any kind of electronic device. She may have been living by herself, as an immune-compromised person. It's not clear at all.

She could have had any number of tracking devices but I am absolutely sure that LE and the FBI evidence retrieval team have figured that part out - they may be waiting for responses from those companies (Apple, Strava, MapMyRide, whatever she uses).
Can you point me to MSM information about her bike brakes? TIA

I hope we can get some more info from LE today, was there an indication we would get some info tonight? hopefully this case is moving quickly and easily for them, very hard to tell but I trust they have all the bases covered.
The past two nights the Sheriff’s office has released a statement, so hoping for another one tonight.

If nobody at all is speaking to the press, it's usually because LE has asked them not to.

If LE isn't asking for information about where she was seen, or broadcasting requests for dash cam videos, or asking people who saw her bike to call, it's most likely because they don't need that information, and the reason they don't need it is most likely because they already know what happened.

If the FBI is involved very early, it's for a reason. Consulting on electronics is a possibility. Interstate crime? Kidnapping? The characteristics of the crime triggered a hit on a wanted person? Quite a number of possibilities but they aren't likely to make any of them public.

*pulls up a chair to wait*

The only thing I know is that, AFAIK, she hadn't made it to an actual trail. She was headed toward one. Her bike was found near the intersection of two regular roads, and I'm unclear about the trail of evidence found away from the bike, but I think it too was near the 50.

Her brakes were found "super-jammed" according to a nephew (that's in MSM at this point). Any thoughts on how that could happen?

We don't know that she had any kind of electronic device. She may have been living by herself, as an immune-compromised person. It's not clear at all.

She could have had any number of tracking devices but I am absolutely sure that LE and the FBI evidence retrieval team have figured that part out - they may be waiting for responses from those companies (Apple, Strava, MapMyRide, whatever she uses).

Where did you read where her bike was found?

WAIT - and her nephew said the brakes were "super jammed"??

This is news to me. Link please? :)

Last edited:
I have the same thoughts, that is what makes this whole unusual, along with the lack of description of clothing. We know now why the bike wasn't described, it was found the same day she went missing.

I've said this previously, but will say it again. Even if no one saw her on Sunday, in order to get an idea of what she was wearing. LE will bring in a family member and ask if they see something missing.
Let's say Suzanne's fav pair of tennis shoes are charcoal grey New Balance, her pink windbreaker is also missing. Those shoes & jacket aren't anywhere in the house. Even if BM wasn't asked to do that, surely the daughter in college is capable ?

Did Suzanne have any girlfriends in Colorado?
bbm
Snipped for focus
Very good observations, Knox !

Why don't we even know what she was wearing ?
Did no one know this ?

LE have not treated this as an abduction.
Reminds me of another man who claimed his wife was kidnapped and 'taken to LV'. :rolleyes:

As another poster pointed out in response to my comment up-thread... families can be complicated and we don't know how close they all are to one another.
Imo.

Come on LE, let's release something not so ambiguous.

Let's start with this: The item recovered that was deemed a "personal item" belonging to Suzanne. How do they know this was Suzanne's? Usually LE asks family to confirm such an item. But I get the feeling open communication between LE and family is not happening here.

Hope they can release a coherent and specific release soon for Suzanne.

Oh I get it. I'm revving the engine with nowhere to go. Can't speak further without their clarity.

RS & BBM. We do not know if she went on a bike ride. To my knowledge no one has said that they saw her riding her bike. The neighbor only told LE that Suzanne had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home. The identity of the person who reported the "bike ride/failure to return" to the neighbor has not been disclosed to the public.

Last edited:
Wait, who is dead, or MIA other than Suzanne?

I think the op believes this is a case of self-harm/suicide.

For the record, I strongly disagree.

Self-harm/suicide is tanking at the very bottom of my list of possible scenarios.

I have it ranked somewhere just south of alien abduction and human trafficking.

Not North: South.

Maybe she hadn't used the bike recently, so the brakes were jammed at the handlebars, or they were unresponsive at the calipers. Or, if she had disc brakes, they weren't releasing. Or, the brake pads could have hardened. All of these are "she hadn't used it for a while".
It's not even clear she was biking any time recently. Sure, there's a photo of her floating around with a bike helmet, but there's never been any indication when this was taken. It could have been 10 years ago.
bbm
Agreed.

The most recent photo of Suzanne provided to LE and msm was taken in 2018.
It was also on her FB page and dated.

To my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't even released WHO saw her last? What was she wearing? Was she actually SEEN biking on Sunday or is the last time someone laid eyes on her before that. I'm assuming that she was NOT seen on Sunday because then, at the very least, they would have released what she was wearing, would they not?? At this point, the person that filed the missing person's report would be number 1 on the list, then the husband. LE has NOT said that anyone has been officially cleared, i.e. neighbor, husband...correct?

You are correct, which is why we are all here, building multiple threads, pondering all this and what it means.

1. They have not released who saw her last OR who talked to her last. Or WHEN that happened.
  2. No information released about whether anyone saw her biking and no specific appeals to the public to bring forward such information. Just a general appeal for tips.
  3. No one has been officially cleared.
Good summary! Good questions, too. She was apparently home alone that day, but we don't know for how long. We don't know what time of day she left on her bike.

And I'm still fuzzy on the relationship between where her bike was found, with what - one personal item not too far? And then another personal item someplace else - but how far away? I'm not sure we know all that.

But we do know, they've conducted numerous searches, collected some things, and if they haven't been thoroughly processed yet, they will be, along with all the other things I've mentioned, and possibly more.

We also know what they (LE) are not saying, and how much info they're not disclosing to the public.
Such things that we always see in other missing cases like, advising everyone local to look on their property for anything out of the ordinary, check home surveillance or dash cams, giving any kind of description of her bike or what she might have been wearing, when she was known to be seen last, and so much more.
Sure they've said some of that, and set up a tip line, but they're not appealing to the public the way we'd normally see (IMO)

This is the stuff we almost always see in missing persons cases but for reasons they're keeping to themselves, LE isn't putting that out there.

Didn't really mean to be so long winded :)And oh, yes... there will be pings. And a lack of them as well.

RSBM

Thanks so much, still learning here. I'm glad you were long winded lol, It's what LE hasn't said......that makes so much sense to me now.

Usually LE does not hold a PC unless they have something significant to say, or they have made an arrest or the missing person has been found. Until then they may give regular updates as to where they are searching or just general statements like they are continuing the investigation and are following leads. Jmo
I didn't catch her name, but in Friday's presser the woman speaking before the Sheriff spoke, did say that they're not going to give daily pressers but that they would be updating their FB page.
That's paraphrasing, but the gist of what she said.
So yes, basically what you also said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member