Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the available pictures of Suzanne, has anyone noticed a Fitbit or an Apple watch or anything like that? I haven't noticed, but I may not have seen all available pictures.

Also, slightly O/T
Isn't it incredible, the electronic data that is able to be recovered? The math/physics etc involved in being able to tell how fast a car is going with a cell phone inside the car based on pings makes my head explode.
Excellent point on the Fitbit/Apple watch. A lot of serious fitness enthusiasts I know (myself included) always set it for a run or bike ride. I actually don't know many who have all the legit gear - bike, helmet, fitness clothes - and don't record their activity. Yes, yes, I'm sure there are also 80 gazillion examples of people who don't wear one, who prefer to just do it for enjoyment, leisurely ride, don't like wearing it, don't want to track it that obsessively or be that ocd, etc. But it's a legitimate question to wonder if she typically wore a fitness tracker whenever she was out biking.

She's a very fit lady - lean, arm muscles, low body fat - she clearly is active and works out consistently. Many people who exercise that regularly do wear some kind of fitness device, at least while they are exercising, that tracks heart rate, mileage, calories burned, etc. Or for something like biking, you might want to know how many miles you rode, maybe save the route, etc. That could be a generalization of course and not be a part of her usual habits... but to be as fit as she looks, it takes a certain amount of dedication so it's possible she would own a fitness device and if she did, it would be interesting to know what the data shows for that weekend.

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Neighbors Asked To Save Surveillance Video
snipped (most recent I am finding)
May 18, 2020 at 10:51 am
MAYSVILLE, Colo. (CBS4) — It has now been more than a week since 49-year-old Susanne Morphew left her home in Chaffee County to go for a bike ride. As the search for her continues, investigators are asking neighbors to preserve any surveillance video they have from the days before and after her disappearance.

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Neighbors Asked To Save Surveillance Video
snipped (most recent I am finding)
May 18, 2020 at 10:51 am
MAYSVILLE, Colo. (CBS4) — It has now been more than a week since 49-year-old Susanne Morphew left her home in Chaffee County to go for a bike ride. As the search for her continues, investigators are asking neighbors to preserve any surveillance video they have from the days before and after her disappearance.

I have a hunch they're specifically looking for a vehicle or person that should not have been in the area on the days prior to Sunday.
I don't think they'll find any video of SM on a bike ride.

jmo

Not to you personally, Curiousobserver, but I wish I could set a filter, and filter out every post that mentions the bike. We know absolutely nothing concrete about the bike with regard to its importance, or not, to this case. For the bike to mean anything, we would first have to know that SM was, in fact, on a bike ride when she went missing. We do not know that, we do not know when she went missing, though I'm hoping LE does. We know there was a 911 call on Sunday, May 10, and we know SM is missing. No published LE established timeline on SM's activity prior to MD weekend, no published LE confirmation about the whereabouts of family prior to and including MD weekend, and scant information actually revealed by LE.

Sorry, oviedo, but not good maps there. Daily Mail has the wrong house identified as the Morphew house.
IMO
If the thread title said she didn't return home from walking her dog, we would be discussing her dog. Just saying..

Today is day 9 of Suzanne being missing.

RSBM
I was rereading a Gannon article this morning. The article was dated Feb 15th and it made reference to him being missing 19 days now. The significance was that was that was the day they were searching Douglas County and found the board. And it was her vehicle GPS that led them there. LE impounded her vehicle Wed 1/29/2020.

When you posted that extensive list earlier this morning of "what sort of evidence was being collected early on" you listed "Information from any apps on phones or other devices, including smart watches
Text messages from any source etc. Based on the device/GPS used in Gannon's search it must take around 15 days for(most?)of the data to come back around. So we have a bit of a wait yet...

The sheriffs office said “information” led them more than 40 miles from missing Gannon Stauch’s home, south of Colorado Springs, to search in this latest South Douglas County location.

Officials have not disclosed what that information is.

Last edited:
Doorbell cams could hold secret to Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance

May 18, 2020 | 11:21am

Some Colorado residents are being asked to keep video footage from their homes and personal devices in the ongoing search for a missing woman who disappeared during a Mother’s Day bike ride.

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze on Sunday urged residents to hold onto any recordings from security and game cameras, Ring doorbells and other devices between May 8-12 as authorities continue to search for 49-year-old Suzanne Morphew.

“One of the most helpful ways the community can aid in the search of Suzanne Morphew is by preserving these recordings,” Spezze said in a statement. “We are aware that some systems override video after several days, and we want to ensure video remains available if needed.”

Residents should not send any footage to Spezze’s office. Deputies will notify residents to collect any clips moving forward as search areas are identified, Spezze said.

~snip

More at link:

ADMIN NOTE:

Please provide actual links, not just saying where the information came from. Also, maps are great but please do not post images of privately owned neighbouring properties.

Regarding the date of May 10 and speculation as to why videos are being sought from May 8 forward. Please see the wording from LE's release of May 13:

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

Note: LE responded to a report on May 10. They did not specify a date that Suzanne was last seen or when she may have gone for a bike ride.

Every time that someone makes a video as if they’re speaking to the person who is clearly the victim of some type of crime or even bad accident, I feel like I know right away that the person speaking knows that the victim is never going to see the video. They can’t see the video either because they have been kidnapped or, they are dead.

It makes zero sense to speak to the person who can do nothing about their own situation. If Suzanne was making her own decisions she wouldn’t be missing. She is not sitting around somewhere holding onto a cell phone that has a still functioning battery and watching Facebook or the news. Those are just all my opinions.
While I agree, this is done in most missing person cases. And before he did it he was being torn apart for NOT doing it. I don’t honestly haven’t watched it so I can not speak to the particular video but I don’t find making a plea to the victim unusual.. I’m sure they all hope their loved one can hear them and be assured they are doing everything they can. (Didn’t Ariel Castro let one of his victims watch the news?)

Residents should not send any footage to Spezze’s office. Deputies will notify residents to collect any clips moving forward as search areas are identified, Spezze said.
Wouldn't you think they would ask them to review their footage, and ask them to notify LE if anything appears out of sorts? Maybe I'm overthinking it or taking LE's words too literally.

One of the more out there scenarios I've entertained has been a stalker in IN who perhaps prompted the move to CO. Stalker then shows up in CO. In that scenario, it's likely her husband knew all about it.

Far fetched, right?

I do think we are going to see something big very soon. I think LE had a very good idea of what happened quite early.

In retrospect, I also wonder if LE didn't coach that whole video her husband did with cues from profilers and such, being careful to make sure there was no mention of LE in it, for whatever reason.

MOO
I wouldn't choose such a remote house, if I would need to escape a (dangerous? creepy?) stalker. I wouldn't choose it even without a stalker.
But maybe IN has something to do with it indirectly? Not so very far fetched in my eyes atm. :)

This is pure speculation but I think the neighbor found the bike but couldn’t find/get a hold of Suzanne which is what led them to call police. Again just my opinion and what I’m leaning towards considering what we have been told. This would have led them to believe she went on a bike ride and something happened.

I woke up in the middle of the night worrying about Suzanne, her case touches my heart, and thinking about husband’s FB video.

This is slightly O/T and has nothing to do with her husband at all. I am still deciding how I feel about him. Anyway, I have a close family member on the autism spectrum and if that person was to make a plea for my return everything would be off. That person would appear nervous, somewhat cold, and not make eye contact with the camera. In reality, that person loves me very much and would want me found but I know people would tear it apart. I work with people on the spectrum and they are so amazing but get judged a lot.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I just want the best for Suzanne. I’ve been here since Kyron and still shed tears for him

No evidence of an animal attack. A mountain lion attack would leave a lot of evidence.
SM vanished with very little evidence.
Thank you. The Sheriff said they strongly believe that this was not a mountain lion attack, locals do not believe this was a mountain lion attack, and we didn't hear BM issuing a plea to a mountain lion. And here is why:
1. Mountain lions leave drag marks, especially when their prey is human or big game. This is easily tracked in dirt or vegetation by wildlife management types.
2. Mountain lions do not "hide" their prey in the sense that humans do. Moving their prey is motivated by their feeding habits--to keep other predators away, provide shade and shelter for the lion while it feeds, and they only drag the carcass a couple hundred yards tops--mostly much less--depending on the terrain. While they are engaging in their own animal version of concealing the carcass, their methods do not do a very good job of concealing from humans and leave plenty of evidence to the human eye.
3. Mountain lions eat what they want, and then other predators/scavengers arrive. These scavengers will be noticed in a fairly populated area with a professional SAR operation happening.
4. Mountain lions tend not to attack near busy roads or human population, although yes, Scott Lancaster was an exception.
5. Mountain lion attacks have been studied by wildlife biologists, the CO Division of Wildlife (who have offices in both Salida and Gunnison) and other experts for decades and these people know exactly what they are looking for.

If anyone still has questions on the characteristics of mountain lion attacks and the body of evidence on them, please consult the following resources:
MLF Feature: Mountain Lion Kill-Site Forensics: Identifying Predation, Scavenging and Kleptoparasitism - Words and Photographs by Phil Johnston
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5251229.pdf
https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1259&context=hwi

I wouldn't choose such a remote house, if I would need to escape a (dangerous? creepy?) stalker. I wouldn't choose it even without a stalker.
But maybe IN has something to do with it indirectly? Not so very far fetched in my eyes atm. :)
I'd have a big, well-trained dog in a house that remote, even without a stalker. Which leads me to ask: Any pets? That could indicate when exactly she went missing,if they were unfed/no water, messes in the house, etc.

edited for clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member