Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed this story on the same Fox21 page as the new article. 80 year old missing hiker shows up at the press conference held to find him. Take a look, it’s a feel-good story, with an unusual happy ending in a missing person case.

Missing hiker shows up at press conference held to find him – Nexstar Media Wire

Sadly, we won’t get so lucky with Suzanne. :oops:
I saw that, how sweet. He spent 2-3 nights out in the boonies. His adult son said Dad is now "grounded".

As someone who has followed numerous cases here on Websleuths, I don't find this silence from LE at all unusual.

The sound of crickets is nothing new to these ears.

This has been especially true in cases where LE knows what's happened, and that the missing person is deceased.

They aren't going to share specific areas they've searched, because they don't want the perp to know the specific areas they've searched.

LE has in fact issued press releases where they've identified which agencies/organizations were/are assisting them in their searches and/or investigation into SM's disappearance, as well as what types of searches (air, water, etc.) were carried out.

They're building a case behind the scenes.

As Barry angrily noted in his recent interview with LS: "I'm in the dark here."

Indeed, Barry. You are.

Advantage: LE.

JMO.

1000% YES, GK!

Hey Barry: What's done in the dark will come to light...

I thought he sounded less than enthusiastic about the vigil but she put him on the spot so he couldn’t say no. I seriously will be shocked if he is at the vigil...no way. Especially with AM there. Wouldn’t that be something if BM did go and lost his temper with Andy in front of everyone?
lmao hes sounds like me when someone ask to hang out after 9pm, reluctant, agreeing to pacify but we all know what its like to agree to plans when at the exact moment you will do be showing up. that was BM here

A few things: Tomorrow we are going to hear from another employee of Barry’s, regarding Mother’s Day weekend. I’m sure Barry will call this employee a liar as well.

Barry’s concern that the Sheriff’s Department doesn’t have Suzanne’s missing poster up is rich. This, coming from a man who made no effort to utilize the media to help find his wife (26 second recording aside).

If Barry does in fact keep his promises to do an on camera interview with Lauren and attend the vigil, I’ll sign him up to the “Peanut Butter of the Month Club.” That just has to be a thing.

I’ll add the barbecue sauce of the month club to the kitty.

In all fairness to LS, shes doing her best to do her job. She all of a sudden has people who are talking, but the Sheriff has chosen not to. Before Barry talked, she reported the same thing about him - she knocked on the door, made calls, left messages, etc., to no avail. Imo, she knows what viewers want and shes showing us that shes doing everything she can to keep Suzannes story in the news.

I think its really unfair to talk negatively about her over one story. Especially after all she has tried her best to do for Suzanne.

Jmho.
IMO, a good investigative reporter goes where the story goes. We here know better than most people that things aren’t always as they seem. This is a small town where “everybody knows everybody”. So the lack of news coming out of the CCSO *is* news. It’s just not the news we want to hear.

In a high profile case like this one there are typically fairly regular press conferences and press releases to reassure the public that, in spite of the silence, efforts continue to move the case forward. If nothing else, the CCSO does appear to be tone-deaf. How can it be good PR to continually avoid both the media and the victim’s family? In the Kelsey Berreth case LE and the DA’s office were every bit as tight-lipped but still forthcoming and reassuring — even to the point of being present at vigils, etc., iirc.

I also think it’s interesting that the agency is over-budget and I do wonder how that might be impacting progress on this case and others. I expect this will open up further stories about budget woes, staffing and manpower concerns, etc. (Maybe the CCSO needs to do a fundraiser? ;))

Bottom line for me is...it’s not what I wanted to see but it’s a fair, timely, and relevant piece that should matter to the population that Fox 21 serves. We here just happen to have a narrower focus...

Looking forward to tomorrow night. If it’s a “bombshell” and includes another employee it seems it almost has to be C or M. Right?

MOO.

I wish Barry would say exactly what he thinks LE has done to mess up this investigation so that his allegations could be disputed or supported. The only thing I recall hearing him say is that several police officers touched the bike when it was found. But I doubt he will state his reasons for making such statements. I suspect he believes this because he has been the main focus of the investigation and he wants the focus off of him.

He states LE has destroyed his and his family’s lives. Just how? If he’d been honest about the facts since day 1 and made honest search efforts, etc., etc., he and his family members may feel they have a future free of being under a microscope.

I do understand immediate family being frustrated with not being given updates from LE. I’d feel the same way. I know I’ve seen this happen before in investigations but I can’t pinpoint a particular case at the moment.
Agreed. Clearly LE hasn't "destroyed their lives" by publicly bad mouthing BM. I guess by not buying the bike ride story hook, line and sinker? MOO

I'm hoping Spezee is a heavyweight fighter, letting his opponent get in some harmless body blows while he waits for the perfect time to land a killer right uppercut for a single-punch knockout. I do think the CCSO's silence is emboldening BM and that's probably a good thing....

I have a different take. LE isn't going to talk. I think Lauren knows that. I think she's smart as a whip (she's not worried about the sheriff), she's getting in with BM. To highlight the sheriff's silence, she has gained a degree of trust with BM. She's got BM talking! If pounding on the sheriff's door is her means, her ends are working. BM is tripping himself up all over the place.

JMO

I appreciate Sheriff Spezze's tight control of his ship but I'm also a believer in courtesy. (It's not like Fox21 is the NY Post*).

This is a very high profile case (by the sheriff's own admission) and I can't think of any reason why the PIO (green sweater, glasses at 5/15 presser) can't greet a traveler with a confirming statement that the CCSO has no updates.

I think ignoring somebody at your front door is a worse look than "no comment."

The sheriff's certainly not lost my support but neither has Lauren Scharf.

MOO

* IIRC, NYP was one of the first (if not the first) to quote the sheriff on 5/13/20, and they used it like a 'gotcha.'

https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/colorado-woman-missing-after-going-on-mothers-day-bike-ride/

Last edited:
Agreed. Clearly LE hasn't "destroyed their lives" by publicly bad mouthing BM. I guess by not buying the bike ride story hook, line and sinker? MOO

I'm hoping Spezee is a heavyweight fighter, letting his opponent get in some harmless body blows while he waits for the perfect time to land a killer right uppercut for a single-punch knockout. I do think the CCSO's silence is emboldening BM and that's probably a good thing....
RIGHT? He isnt even officially named as a POI, dial it down BM

Oh, MAN.

To quote Nancy Kerrigan: "Why? WHY? WHYYYY????"

It pains me to do this. It really does.

But when I see genius, I have to acknowledge it. So here goes:
47.gif
20.gif
5254.gif
6049.gif

That post is a thing of beauty.

It really is sheer brilliance.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm going to need to go kiss the porcelain god, on account of I've just given myself a severe case of the dry heaves.

I ain't doing this ever again.
Write it down.
On second thought, never mind: I just did.

JMO.
GK, I know that had to hurt you! I think you’ll need to take a shot for each like to ease your pain. ;)

In the phone call with Lauren, BM's voice was booming and confident until he was asked if he'd be at the vigil and for the search .... his voice dropped to almost a whisper when he said his yes and absolutely ..... didn't sound like he was being honest or sincere just there, I could be wrong. MOO

holy cow. haven't had a chance to read over all the pages i've missed, since i only woke up 10 mins ago, but i did watch lauren's report first thing. all i have to say is i agree, @Itsapuzzle. BM sounded confident and even...honest? i walked away BELIEVING HIM. whattttt?!?? maybe i need coffee. this guy is something else.

BBM:

You're not the only one.

I'm not just disappointed: I'm downright irritated.

The tone of the piece was obnoxious, and distinctly critical of LE.

Criticisms which were, by the way, largely unwarranted.

It was an extremely poorly written article, too. Very disjointed.

Riddled with spelling and grammatical errors.

*Hint to LS: Grammarly is your friend.

JMO.

Awww, cut her some slack. Lauren is a young, perhaps somewhat inexperienced reporter. But she's done a lot of good work in this case to date.

I'm not going to throw her under the bus over this piece.

I wonder if that dirt bike was around, missing or traveled anywhere the day Suzanne was missing? That's a perfect way to get in and out. Hmmmmm

That was my big takeaway from LS’s report...the revelation of the dirt bike. He could have carried her body so far off the beaten path on that thing that she will never be found. I wonder if he has owned it before her disappearance or if it was acquired after.

In the phone call with Lauren, BM's voice was booming and confident until he was asked if he'd be at the vigil and for the search .... his voice dropped to almost a whisper when he said his yes and absolutely ..... didn't sound like he was being honest or sincere just there, I could be wrong. MOO
Yes, that was very interesting. Almost sounded fearful.

Awww, cut her some slack. Lauren is a young, perhaps somewhat inexperienced reporter. But she's done a lot of good work in this case to date.

I'm not going to throw her under the bus over this piece.

BBM:

Nah.

Reporters are a notoriously thick-skinned bunch.

If she can't handle a little criticism, she's in the wrong profession.

Sheriff Spezze has done a lot of good, hard work in this case, too.

And she didn't cut him any slack in her piece.

JMO.

So it actually was, more or less, a bash-piece on the CCSO.

Color me disappointed.

jmo

Um, yah...not what I expected from Lauren at all. Not wise to go after the Sheriff's office. I want to hear what's going on behind the scenes as bad as anybody but there's a reason he isn't talking. I wish she'd go in that hard on BM.

Also, PE teased earlier this week that Lauren's story was going to be explosive. Hmmmmm....did I miss something??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms