Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

Media, Maps & Timeline thread (No Discussion)

Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)

Verified Experts/Professionals posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)

Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

A thread specific decision has been made by Tricia to allow members to discuss Barry Morphew and to speculate about him based on how he is being publicly treated by LE, information from MSM and other WS approved sources (except rumors). Do NOT sleuth him or his business and do NOT trash him.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone else who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew),

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

Last edited:
I'm going to quote you @Fireflize

"So I wonder, did he then park it at the home? Not take it back to the Salida job site? Was he done with that job? Or would he have needed it again at the job site? If so, he'd better have a really good excuse for taking it away at 1130ish Saturday night. Especially if he didn't haul it to Broomfield."

These are questions I have on my list. The next morning that little ole lady trotted right out there and asked all those workers "who was running equipment at 11:30 last night?" They said no one and said the keys are hidden.

1. Can you imagine the conversation they had after she walked home?

2. Can you imagine the conversation they had when they found out about Barry's. missing wife?

3. Can you imagine the conversation these workers had amongst themselves when the cement was being dug up by LE?

I can imagine that those workers are having the same sort of conversations that we are having.

Selfie w MG and JP?

@Cindizzi bbm sbm Good question. Sorry if this has already been discussed and the question answered.
If this selfie is the one I recall, MG is in front pass. seat; JP is in back seat on driver side, soooo ----
1. When taken? Sometime during the MoDay week end, or that Mon or Tues? OR another irrelevant time?
2. Who, if anyone, was in driver seat? I see neon-ish green item, a couple inches big, at driver. seat shoulder. Was that the seat itself or driver's shirt or jacket?
3. Whose vehicle? If MG or JP, why were they both seated as passengers, instead of one in driver seat? If belonged to BM, pic was not taken on MoDay wk. end, or Mon. or Tues, because BM was not there w them, right?
TiA
ETA: I posted similar Qs. yesterday but have not seen responses.
1. LS, the reporter says this was on Monday.
2. I am guessing that the 3rd person in the car is CC, another worker on the wall job who LS named and the one who will not talk with her. At the end of the video she shows the text he sent her.
3. I’m guessing all 3 workers rode together. MG says BM told her to pick up JS. So MG’s car? Not sure. Just guessing.

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

Last minute he changed everything. In fact, he called me that Sunday – Mother’s Day – and was really frantic, really didn’t sound like himself,” Gentile said. “I hung up the phone and I thought he just had the worst night of his life.”

Still, Gentile agreed to pick up Jeffrey Puckett and head to Broomfield.

It would be really funny if there was a smell of bleach around the bobcat,

That first night, if some human with a good nose had sniffed around, they might have caught whiff! (That would be a fascinating twist).

I think if someone were drowned in a bathtub, the assailant might want to bleach it. If the body lay somewhere in the house prior to disposal (say, the laundry room floor or the kitchen), someone might use bleach there. If someone thought they had someone else's blood on their body (anywhere), they might think to try bleach.

Drowning would leave forensic evidence, most of the time, in the bathtub. Then the perp has to lift the body out of the tub and carry it, dripping both water and body fluids, somewhere else. A smart perp would go get a tarp or something that could be disposed of in a dumpster. Or perhaps, straight into a container, like a cooler?

Strangulation would leave some body fluids somewhere, and probably is easier to conceal. I don't know of any actual studies that compare such things. Strangulation usually leaves some marks on the strangler, though - pretty obvious.

One wonders about what the police saw on BM's person that night.

I was typing a long post but couldn't post it because the thread closed. lol!

I hope it is ok to post it here.

@SeattleStew I was quoting you. You made such a good point!

SeattleStew stated "Also, regarding the two men in Salida that approached MG. In the LS interview she specifically says "Two men approached her, one a friend of Barry's, and one a family member."

Ok....... Just so I have this right.

°Tuesday morning BM called MG crying, telling her a moutain lion killed his wife etc.

°Tuesday morning MG and crew came back to Salida, after waiting for bricks that never arrived.

°Tuesday, two days after SM became missing 2 men approach her, one a friend of Barry's, and one a family member. (Boy that was fast).

°MG hadn't been paid yet. These 2 men talk to her about her check, hush money and the right she has not to turn over her phone. (And whatever else they talked about that she's not telling LS).

°At some point MG is interviewed by LE and gives them her phone. (Interviewed a total of 5 times).

°MG refuses to do a polygraph.

°Sounds like to retaliate BM fires MG.

°Sounds like MG retaliated and gives a public interview and rats out BM.

°Sounds like BM retaliates and called Luaren S. and calls MG a meth head.

Why didnt Barry ask them to come back and help search for SM?

MG never tells us she was paid or not.

Last edited:
IMO wrongdoers have a pattern, MOO have initial panic, suppress it, compliment themselves on their self possession and cleverness, then smooth out their story, trusting themselves more and more with each repetition of successful lies.

They fix details as needed and develop more energy with each success, probably suppressing glee that they are getting away with it.

That first night, if some human with a good nose had sniffed around, they might have caught whiff! (That would be a fascinating twist).

I think if someone were drowned in a bathtub, the assailant might want to bleach it. If the body lay somewhere in the house prior to disposal (say, the laundry room floor or the kitchen), someone might use bleach there. If someone thought they had someone else's blood on their body (anywhere), they might think to try bleach.

Drowning would leave forensic evidence, most of the time, in the bathtub. Then the perp has to lift the body out of the tub and carry it, dripping both water and body fluids, somewhere else. A smart perp would go get a tarp or something that could be disposed of in a dumpster. Or perhaps, straight into a container, like a cooler?

Strangulation would leave some body fluids somewhere, and probably is easier to conceal. I don't know of any actual studies that compare such things. Strangulation usually leaves some marks on the strangler, though - pretty obvious.

One wonders about what the police saw on BM's person that night.
bbm
Wonder if BM had any scratches on his face/neck ?
I like to think that Suzanne fought furiously for her life. :(

Luminol - Wikipedia

Luminol chemiluminescence can also be triggered by a number of substances such as copper or copper-containing chemical compounds,[14] and certain bleaches. As a result, if someone cleans a crime scene thoroughly with a bleach solution, residual cleaner makes the entire crime scene produce the typical blue glow, which effectively camouflages organic evidence such as blood

Does this mean if the equipment was cleaned with bleach, will Luminol detect it. Does it work like that? I am so curious. I know next to nothing about Luminol. I am hoping someone smarter than I can decipher this.
It reads to me, the blood traces would be gone. But if equipment has bleach poured on it, the Luminol will detect the bleach.

Last edited:
Luminol - Wikipedia

Luminol chemiluminescence can also be triggered by a number of substances such as copper or copper-containing chemical compounds,[14] and certain bleaches. As a result, if someone cleans a crime scene thoroughly with a bleach solution, residual cleaner makes the entire crime scene produce the typical blue glow, which effectively camouflages organic evidence such as blood

Does this mean if the equipment was cleaned with bleach, will Luminol detect it. Does it work like that? I am so curious. I know next to nothing about Luminol. I am hoping someone smarter than I can decipher this.
BBM

I can only speak from my own experience.

Yes, I can use my luminol to see if an area or section has been cleaned with bleach. It will light up smeary.

But if the area I'm looking over is carpet, then I use my black light. And the room has to be dark. I can detect bleach because it will have a slight red color to it.

Rust stains and coffee stains will give me trouble. Because they look like blood.

I buy my luminol powder off of Amazon. That is also where I bought my black light.

Hello. I have been following this case From the start and have been reading all your threads. This is my first post and I hope I’m
Doing this right.

What I can’t understand is why it appears that most people here feel that the 12:30pm Saturday “abrupt ending” to her texting conversation with her friend must indicate her approximate of death. More importantly, why we are basing the entire Barry timeline around this little bit for information? People are questioning how he could have gone home at 11:00am, then be seen in town, etc. I think an easy explanation to why this could occur is that she wasn’t killed then and was killed later in the evening.

IMO there can be many reasons for her not texting her friend back that may or may not have anything to do with Barry. Maybe they were arguing and she was upset and forgot about the text convo, maybe she went for a hike, etc.

While I do believe Suzanne was killed on Saturday, I don’t see why it couldn’t have happened in the evening.
Thanks for reading my first post!

Louise369

Welcome Louise with your first post.:):):)
Your thoughts that SM was murdered much later than when her conversation with her friend ended, also fits into MG stating BM was seen around the town after 11 am.
He may have been busy, when he returned home.:(

This then caused urgent 'wall fixing' plans as an alibi not to be around.

BBM

I can only speak from my own experience.

Yes, I can use my luminol to see if an area or section has been cleaned with bleach. It will light up smeary.

But if the area I'm looking over is carpet, then I use my black light. And the room has to be dark. I can detect bleach because it will have a slight red color to it.

Rust stains and coffee stains will give me trouble. Because they look like blood.

I buy my luminol powder off of Amazon. That is also where I bought my black light.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. I trust your educated opinion and experience.

Aside from coverage of the upcoming searches, what aspects of this story would we like to see LS cover? There should be a number of witnesses who could be interviewed about:

• The Salida home under construction, BS's contracted role in that project, and what other contractors have to say about the equipment that was running late Saturday/early Sunday on MD weekend. Add your questions.
  • The Broomfield project. Who contracted it, when? What needed to be done? What would have been involved in the MD "setup"? What equipment was required? Why wasn't it there? Was it urgent the work be done the week following MD, or did BS have discretion when to do the work? Why was BS working so far from home? Add your questions?
  • The Ms' marriage. What can her friends say about its stability? Was SM expressing a wish to return to Indiana to be with her support network after the second bout with cancer?
  • <modsnip>
  • What about the technology used in the search? What are its capabilities and limitations?
I am sure you can come up with more. LS seems to be the kind of reporter who won't give up on this story as long as she and her editors see public interest in questions she can answer. Maybe the WS group's best contribution to solving the case will be to give her avenues to explore, and support going after them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking -- IF he was doing something improper at the Salida construction site, why would he bring his own bobcat from home when there was already one at the Salida site he [presumably] had access to?

Maybe he swapped attachments between the two machines, but I just went back to the aerial video at Puma Path to see how the caution tape was tied, and I see the tape does not go around the bobcat in any way -- rather, the tape goes from the house, zig zags down that rock walkway, and is simply tied off to the bobcat at the other end. That suggests to me that there is nothing [currently] on that bobcat that is considered evidence.

But then I noticed that the rocks alongside the caution-taped walkway look very similar to the rocks at the beach site. Coincidence?

I'm still thinking that perhaps he used the on-site machine in Salida, perhaps swapping one of his own attachments if the needed tool was not already there... (such as, if the Salida bobcat only had the rake tool attached, and BM brought and used his own digging attachment)

And maybe removing or returning the digging attachment was the "mechanical thing" about which he forgot what time he did it...

JMO MOO

Lest we forget BM said he was the last one to see her alive.

And he said there is no evidence against him. (Poirot's little grey cells would be concentrated on anyone who said this.) lol!!

IMHO, BM says there is no evidence against him because he has thought up a lie for every piece of evidence. He expected LE to believe each lie (she said I could go to work on Mother's Day). To believe every excuse (Too soon). He expected LE to forget the lie about the bobcat (I was confused). I wasn't acting suspicious (MG is lying about me)!

If they come at him with more evidence, not a problem, he will think up a lie for that. So in his mind, there is no evidence. He can explain it all away.

It's always worked for him. Lies. But he's never effed up this bad before. It can't be ignored this time.

Aside from coverage of the upcoming searches, what aspects of this story would we like to see LS cover? There should be a number of witnesses who could be interviewed about:

• The Salida home under construction, BS's contracted role in that project, and what other contractors have to say about the equipment that was running late Saturday/early Sunday on MD weekend. Add your questions.
  • The Broomfield project. Who contracted it, when? What needed to be done? What would have been involved in the MD "setup"? What equipment was required? Why wasn't it there? Was it urgent the work be done the week following MD, or did BS have discretion when to do the work? Why was BS working so far from home? Add your questions?
  • The Ms' marriage. What can her friends say about its stability? Was SM expressing a wish to return to Indiana to be with her support network after the second bout with cancer?
  • Are rumors of BS having an affair more than rumors - do they have a factual basis?
  • What about the technology used in the search? What are its capabilities and limitations?
I am sure you can come up with more. LS seems to be the kind of reporter who won't give up on this story as long as she and her editors see public interest in questions she can answer. Maybe the WS group's best contribution to solving the case will be to give her avenues to explore, and support going after them.
Who had been scheduling and rescheduling the Broomfield job prior to the 10th, the client or BM?

IMHO, BM says there is no evidence against him because he has thought up a lie for every piece of evidence. He expected LE to believe each lie (she said I could go to work on Mother's Day). To believe every excuse (Too soon). He expected LE to forget the lie about the bobcat (I was confused). I wasn't acting suspicious (MG is lying about me)!

If they come at him with more evidence, not a problem, he will think up a lie for that. So in his mind, there is no evidence. He can explain it all away.

It's always worked for him. Lies. But he's never effed up this bad before. It can't be ignored this time.

Yeah, BM’s comments about the bobcat and tools have been the biggest tells for me in this case. They are probably the two most critical pieces of evidence.

Who had been scheduling and rescheduling the Broomfield job prior to the 10th, the client or BM?

IMO, BM. The wall was not done right apparently but it wasn’t such a hazard that is needed to be corrected immediately. Since there was no new revenue involved for BM, he planned the fix around his time line.

The changing of the timing of that job is interesting. Maybe it was the alibi all along and he just kept moving the work until the perfect weekend popped up (kids gone, full moon, access to tools/bobcat)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member