Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

Media, Maps & Timeline thread (No Discussion)

Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)

Verified Experts/Professionals posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)

Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

A thread specific decision has been made by Tricia to allow members to discuss Barry Morphew and to speculate about him based on how he is being publicly treated by LE, information from MSM and other WS approved sources (except rumors). Do NOT sleuth him or his business and do NOT trash him.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone else who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew),

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

The condition of SM's bike, SM's "personal items" found and BM cooperating and not cooperating with LE:

Chaffee County Sheriff Updates Search For Suzanne Morphew, Encourages Tips From Public

Noel urged people to question the sheriff about the condition of the bike. When asked about the bike Friday, Sheriff Spezze said he would not comment on the items found.

Spezze said the case is still considered a missing persons investigation and they still have hope that Morfew {sic} will be found alive. He added that Morfew’s {sic} husband has been cooperative with the investigation.

TN encouraged news media to query the sheriff on the condition of SM's bike. That leads me to believe TN was not aware of the condition or LE forcefully advised him not to reveal that information if he knew it. Why did TN think that information important?

The condition of the bike could suggest two possibilities:

1) If damaged, it could indicate forceful interruption of her ride, such as contact with a vehicle OR a someone purposefully (manually) damaged the bike to make it appear as if it had made contact with a vehicle. Proper inspection by qualified inspectors could determine cause. I wonder if such inspection was performed and verified.

2) If not damaged, it could indicate the bike was manually (wheeled, carried or thrown) placed at the location at which it was recovered showing no indication of struggle or forceful interruption.

Sheriff Spezze indicated BM was cooperating with LE. That was May 15, 2020. Eventually, many came to believe BM was not cooperating. I did not find articles indicating that and when did it begin. IF it is true BM decided to NOT cooperate any longer, I suspect it would have occurred the moment he felt LE was continuing to investigate him as opposed to moving on with other possibilities. It would not bother an innocent me if LE continued to investigate me if I were in BM's situation but my attitude would turn to anger if I felt LE was not progressing in a proper direction.

Speculation follows:

It is possible SM, after having stopped riding her bike due to an encounter with someone having driven up next to her to engage, may have tossed the bike down the embankment because the someone was attempting to abduct her. That way it would either present an opportunity and buy her time to try to escape if the someone would attempt to retrieve the bike _or_ the bike would remain in that ravine as a marker of her last location.

The "personal items" found could have been the result of SM having tossed those items from a moving vehicle driven by an abductor. I believe the investigation status was changed to "criminal investigation" after the items were located by LE.

As much as it seems a certain someone might be responsible for SM's disappearance, it still remains a possibility that a stranger (whether known or unknown to SM) abduction occurred. Over the course of ~2 years living in their current location, we can safely assume SM had been out and about on her bike on various occasions, had frequented town stores and other out-and-about what-not. A someone could have had an eye out for SM over quite some time and eventually decided to act upon illicit desire.

Just throwing out a quite feasible scenario, as I want to include for other possibilities.

MOO

Trackergd, what, then, might be done differently with searches? What is a good website where we can learn more about the science and nuance of searching for the missing?

Because, quite often, organized searches do seem to miss who is being looked for. People and dogs are not infallible--how is that mitigated during a search?

On that note, just an aside regarding the Morphew home search. In the photos from the realty site, from when the Morphew house was for sale, one photo showed a bedroom with a large attic access in the ceiling.

I know it isn't probable for SUZANNE to be in the house, but could someone go take another look in all the nooks and crannies of the house? Look under the insulation, etc., in the attic?

If SUZANNE was put in an oversize cooler, does anyone know how well decomposition odors would be contained?

I'll go check the Body Farm websites and report back if I find any info.
bbm
One question for the body farm I have -- would be if the decomp from an elk head and antlers would mask any human decomp ?

it really would explain so much of his behavior. imo, it might also explain partial motive. remember, we had a personal friend of suzanne's here on websleuths that even said SM would have never been ok with it. could he have been in over his head with something, that could also explain a financial motive? i think it's important how emphatically and swiftly LS said "YES," when tricia asked if the drug rumors were true. jmo.
I didn't listen to it but what drug rumors were true? The workers? BM? Both?

The condition of SM's bike, SM's "personal items" found and BM cooperating and not cooperating with LE:

Chaffee County Sheriff Updates Search For Suzanne Morphew, Encourages Tips From Public

TN encouraged news media to query the sheriff on the condition of SM's bike. That leads me to believe TN was not aware of the condition or LE forcefully advised him not to reveal that information if he knew it. Why did TN think that information important?

1) If damaged, it could indicate forceful interruption of her ride, such as contact with a vehicle OR a someone purposefully (manually) damaged the bike to make it appear as if it had made contact with a vehicle. Proper inspection by qualified inspectors could determine cause. I wonder if such inspection was performed and verified.

2) If not damaged, it could indicate the bike was manually (wheeled, carried or thrown) placed at the location at which it was recovered showing no indication of struggle or forceful interruption.

Sheriff Spezze indicated BM was cooperating with LE. That was May 15, 2020. Eventually, many came to believe BM was not cooperating. I did not find articles indicating that and when did it begin. IF it is true BM decided to NOT cooperate any longer, I suspect it would have occurred the moment he felt LE was continuing to investigate him as opposed to moving on with other possibilities. It would not bother an innocent me if LE continued to investigate me if I were in BM's situation but my attitude would turn to anger if I felt LE was not progressing in a proper direction.

Speculation follows:

It is possible SM, after having stopped riding her bike due to an encounter with someone having driven up next to her to engage, may have tossed the bike down the embankment because the someone was attempting to abduct her. That way it would either present an opportunity and buy her time to try to escape if the someone would attempt to retrieve the bike _or_ the bike would remain in that ravine as a marker of her last location.

The "personal items" found could have been the result of SM having tossed those items from a moving vehicle driven by an abductor. I believe the investigation status was changed to "criminal investigation" after the items were located by LE.

As much as it seems a certain someone might be responsible for SM's disappearance, it still remains a possibility that a stranger (whether known or unknown to SM) abduction occurred. Over the course of ~2 years living in their current location, we can safely assume SM had been out and about on her bike on various occasions, had frequented town stores and other out-and-about what-not. A someone could have had an eye out for SM over quite some time and eventually decided to act upon illicit desire.

Just throwing out a quite feasible scenario, as I want to include for other possibilities.

MOO

My take on this is that BM knew he messed up something when staging the bike, and that he was asking via TN to ask the public to ask LE what condition the bike was l, in so that he could concoct a story to explain why it would be in that condition. IMO

Speculation follows:

MOO

A couple of my impressions to that possibility:

1. Why didn’t SM respond to her daughters or husband on Sunday when they texted or called? And why was her last phone ping inside the house if she went on a bike ride?

2. As a mountain biker myself, if someone were to pull up close to me and I suspected an abduction, I’d be peddling my bike as fast as possible in the other direction, not ditching the bike.

Speculation follows:

MOO
I think TN was referring to Barry’s accusation that law enforcement mishandled the bike. He would have known about it at this point, as GD apparently witnessed this event.

As for the abduction scenario, I don’t like that at all. Women are abducted while jogging, or riding a bike. There is precedent for that, as rare as it is on the whole. The FBI is acutely aware of this, as they are kidnapping experts.

That’s not how CBI and FBI behaved though, never doing the things they always do when abduction is a possibility (physical description, missing poster, frequent press releases/conferences).

Something seems to have told them fairly quickly that an event like that did not happen. After all, they executed two search warrants on the house, and dug up Barry’s work site over a 3 day period.

So in order for an abduction to have occurred, law enforcement would have had to have made a massive mistake.

I think Barry is the one who made that mistake, and whatever it was, it was absolutely huge.

Regarding the "two people" who saw SM on Sunday, is BM referring to himself and the friend with whom she was texting? Is it possible SM and her friend were using Zoom, or some other app. whereby they could actually see each other?

Questions, questions . . .

JMVHO.

Speculation follows:

MOO
No Bolo with a description issued from the get-go. I would have a very hard time buying that L/E had that much tunnel vision. It's too easy to do. They knew it was a bogus story on day one. IMO

My take on this is that BM knew he messed up something when staging the bike, and that he was asking via TN to ask the public to ask LE what condition the bike was l, in so that he could concoct a story to explain why it would be in that condition. IMO

To assume "he messed up something" in staging the bike suggests the screw-up might implicate him or at least not support a story or scenario he wanted LE to believe. I can't see BM wanting to force focus LE, media and the public on a screw-up and then he come forward with a twisted explanation. That seems convoluted.

Occam's Razor applies.

Sat. Morning?

Could morning be 12:30 to some?

Or are we getting a 3rd time she was last seen?
I think this is a 3rd time. I keep saying we should be skeptical as to what the timing of that last text is, as it had already moved once to the left. It looks like it continues to move that way.

I think we should be open to that last contact being Saturday morning, and perhaps BM’s strange behavior at the Salida construction site is indicative of him having to go home and deal with a dead body.

Sat. Morning?

Could morning be 12:30 to some?

Or are we getting a 3rd time she was last seen?

Or how about everybody was wrong, and the texting/messaging was Friday night/Saturday morning, meaning 12:30 am? After the late night bobcat but before the beach raking and BM being stressed? Just tossing it out there.

A couple of other takeaways from Tricia's awesome interview with Lauren Scharf:

LS states text conversation with SM Indiana friend stopped Saturday morning.

BM stated to LS that he moved to the condo for "privacy matters" and also having to do with (their) daughter.

LS has spoken with one daughter. According to "them" (perhaps BM and MM) LS states "they" want to keep "their" privacy.

BM worked on the "beach" job on Friday evening.

LS is very close to confirming where the Broomfield job was. She will be getting documents from the City of Broomfield either today or tomorrow (yesterday and today), where it was, how much it cost, what was supposed to be done.
Additional interesting takeaways....
BM and AM have been in communication since the search was planned.
LS has not been made aware that BM has an attorney.
LS has heard no rumors of extramarital affairs of BM.
BM has discussed his relationship with SM; how much he misses her, how long they have been together, etc. When he begins to get emotional or break down, he changes the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice