Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've seen many cases where bodies were missed during initial searches, so even if they do a second pass on places, it won't hurt, imo. Just the pictures of the terrain involved, it's truly like a needle in a haystack.
Ironically, that’s exactly what BM role TD. It never hurts to “retrace searches”. In terrain like this, you can “obviously miss things”.

bbm
A couple of my impressions to that possibility:

1. Why didn’t SM respond to her daughters or husband on Sunday when they texted or called? And why was her last phone ping inside the house if she went on a bike ride?

2. As a mountain biker myself, if someone were to pull up close to me and I suspected an abduction, I’d be peddling my bike as fast as possible in the other direction, not ditching the bike.

There is no guarantee there is adequate cellular service / signal to cover the full expanse of the path SM was riding. This, of course, assumes SM had her phone with her. AFAIK, there have been no reports on whether or not SM's phone was found inside the M dwelling or elsewhere. Maybe SM's phone was out of juice, maybe she didn't have it with her. Maybe the ring or notification volumes were too low to hear during the ride.

I, too, am a bicyclist (road, off-road and track); have been since the 1980's. Hauling arse in the opposite direction is of little use if a someone driving a motor vehicle wants to get you. U-turn. Given what I've seen of the area, a u-turn is quite possible.

One of my cycling trainers at T-Town back in the day was Shaun Wallace, an Olympic competitor. He once told me I had the fastest cadence of anyone he'd ever seen. I was very fast but couldn't maintain such speed for long distance (such is life, too much muscle, not enough lung ;-) ). Even with my burst speeds a motor vehicle could easily catch up to and surpass me.

Additional interesting takeaways....
BM and AM have been in communication since the search was planned.
LS has not been made aware that BM has an attorney.
LS has heard no rumors of extramarital affairs of BM.
BM has discussed his relationship with SM; how much he misses her, how long they have been together, etc. When he begins to get emotional or break down, he changes the subject.
Just listening to LS, I am not convinced that BM and AM have been in direct communication - LS didn't know how they had actually been in contact, but seemed to only know that BM was aware of some of the details around the search. In fact, I'd be surprised if they were talking or even e-mailing directly. JMO, but maybe someone close to BM is acting as an intermediary between the two.

I have been going through the Media thread and here are a few items of interest that I have come across:

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, CBI, FBI now investigating disappearance of Maysville area woman

The https://www..com/f/b3w3h-please-help-us-find-suzanne-and-get-her-home-safe is raising money to support search and rescue efforts in the form of meals, lodging and equipment, Noel said. He created the page. As of Thursday morning, almost 150 people had raised close to $20,000.

From AM's interview with PE where he recounts what Barry told him upon his arrival in Salida Monday evening 5/11:

08:07
so it wasn't too long after that i think

08:09
maybe the girls called the neighbor

08:11
or barry called the neighbor and asked

08:12
her to go over and check on the house

08:14
see if suzanne was home she did

08:18
no one was there both land rovers were

08:22
in the garage

08:24
and she went back to her landline at her

08:27
home

08:28
and called barry and said she's not

08:29
there he said is her bicycle there

08:33
so she went back over checked no bicycle

08:36
well she must be on a bike ride barry

08:38
said

08:41
so the next thing you know i think it

08:42
was trevor or one of the kids showed up

08:45
and they called the police and said you

08:48
know we got somebody missing they came

08:49
out they started searching

08:53
said he arrived back there at six

“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

“We don’t know why God does what he does,” Barry told Scharf. ” But we have to trust him.”

Shut up Barry, just shut up.

Maybe they can share the equipment purchased with the $ they raised on line, with the people who are going to actually be searching for Suzanne.

My first take on TN was that he genuinely cared for SM and wanted to help find her but now I wonder. I would like to know when he arrived on scene because it was Mother's Day and he likely had his own familial responsibilities. Google tells me it is at least a 2 hour 19 min drive from his home to Salida. And now he and GD trying to act like they are part of Tony Soprano's extended family, what is up with that?

MOO

bbm
One question for the body farm I have -- would be if the decomp from an elk head and antlers would mask any human decomp ?

I watched a friends dog training on a 10 + acre search with a ton of fun distractions,(bloated deer, dirty diapers, human waste (yup) & rotting hamburger meat) hit the TFR (bone w/ decent amount of adipocere). This boy is not field ready yet, still another 8+ months of training before cert and some more solid obedience. He's a bit of a wild child still. ha

Even seasoned LE will tell you the smell of human decomp is unmistakable once you recognize the smell. IMO

When there was a mention of antlers w/ considerable meat still attached (IIRC) very close to the Morphew home, at first I brushed it off but now I'm not so sure if there was an intent to mask something, attract something or BM is just a collector of road kill corpses. IMO

Or how about everybody was wrong, and the texting/messaging was Friday night/Saturday morning, meaning 12:30 am? After the late night bobcat but before the beach raking and BM being stressed? Just tossing it out there.

The one downside to that is that it would be 2:30am EST for the best friend.

Not impossible but not highly probable either.

That’s not how CBI and FBI behaved though, never doing the things they always do when abduction is a possibility (physical description, missing poster, frequent press releases/conferences).

Something seems to have told them fairly quickly that an event like that did not happen.

RSBM

I believe that "something" was, they spoke to BM.
I suspect from their very first contact with him, ALL the red flags went up, as they do, when someone is lying through their teeth.

jmo

RSBM

I believe that "something" was, they spoke to BM.
I suspect from their very first contact with him, ALL the red flags went up, as they do, when someone is lying through their teeth.

jmo
Oh I’m sure. My guess is that was a major part of it. I also think Suzanne’s friend may have contacted LE, and told them that she suddenly stopped texting on Saturday morning. That conversation itself may have been damning, depending on what the actual discussion was (besides the wedding).

bbm

There is no guarantee there is adequate cellular service / signal to cover the full expanse of the path SM was riding. This, of course, assumes SM had her phone with her. AFAIK, there have been no reports on whether or not SM's phone was found inside the M dwelling or elsewhere. Maybe SM's phone was out of juice, maybe she didn't have it with her. Maybe the ring or notification volumes were too low to hear during the ride.

I, too, am a bicyclist (road, off-road and track); have been since the 1980's. Hauling arse in the opposite direction is of little use if a someone driving a motor vehicle wants to get you. U-turn. Given what I've seen of the area, a u-turn is quite possible.

One of my cycling trainers at T-Town back in the day was Shaun Wallace, an Olympic competitor. He once told me I had the fastest cadence of anyone he'd ever seen. I was very fast but couldn't maintain such speed for long distance (such is life, too much muscle, not enough lung ;-) ). Even with my burst speeds a motor vehicle could easily catch up to and surpass me.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying someone on a bike would outrun a car. Only that it would defy logic to throw your own bike down a ravine and then try to run away in that situation.

The other dynamic that bears watching re: the search. There is a caravan of people coming out to Salida from BMs hometown, Alexandria, IN. These are people who care deeply enough about SM to make the 19 hour drive out. Some of these people will have almost certainly known BM and SM from their youth. I think this will be added pressure on BM as certainly they will want to see him, interact with him, ask him what happened, etc. It has to be stressing him out.....

We need to be careful not to confuse the time of SM's purported last texts with when she was last SEEN.

Unless SM was Facetiming, those phone comms were not sightings.

LE has never verified when SM was last seen.

LE has never verified the last time her phone sent a message, nor has the person she messaged shared that info publicly.

Friday, May 8 is when LE's timeline appears to begin, as evidenced by their request for video footage from area cameras to be saved starting on that date.

We need to start with Friday and work our way forward.

What do we know about BM's movements that day?

JMO.

The other dynamic that bears watching re: the search. There is a caravan of people coming out to Salida from BMs hometown, Alexandria, IN. These are people who care deeply enough about SM to make the 19 hour drive out. Some of these people will have almost certainly known BM and SM from their youth. I think this will be added pressure on BM as certainly they will want to see him, interact with him, ask him what happened, etc. It has to be stressing him out.....

Actually, I never even considered this about AM's search volunteers. Many of them coming from IN and actually knowing both BM & SM. Yikes. No pressure, BM. IMO

We need to be careful not to confuse the time of SM's purported last texts with when she was last SEEN.

LE has never verified the last time her phone sent a message, nor has the person she messaged shared that info publicly.

Friday, May 8 is when LE's timeline appears to begin, as evidenced by their request for video footage from area cameras to be saved starting on that date.

JMO.

Essentially nothing, other than the info from MG that he was at the river side property Friday evening, working there.

Oh I’m sure. My guess is that was a major part of it. I also think Suzanne’s friend may have contacted LE, and told them that she suddenly stopped texting on Saturday morning. That conversation itself may have been damning, depending on what the actual discussion was (besides the wedding).
I really wonder if the bff contacted one of the girls either Sat or Sun to check on Suzanne and let them know she couldn’t get in touch with her since noon on Sat. The girls would have relayed that info to LE I am sure. IMO

JMO.

JMO but I believe we know that he was at the Salida jobsite on Friday.

What we DON'T know is whether the neighbor lady heard heavy equipment Friday night or Saturday night.

I'd like to take a look at those Saturday morning messages... I wonder if the friend, given hindsight, has questioned the authorship...

Otherwise, the last public sighting we have is Thursday....

I trust LE has a handle on this, but I sure don't.

JMO

If her friend notified LE prior to Suzanne being reported missing, wouldn't that have generated some type of a welfare check by LE?

sbbm
I think TN was referring to Barry’s accusation that law enforcement mishandled the bike. He would have known about it at this point, as GD apparently witnessed this event.

As for the abduction scenario, I don’t like that at all. Women are abducted while jogging, or riding a bike. There is precedent for that, as rare as it is on the whole. The FBI is acutely aware of this, as they are kidnapping experts.

That’s not how CBI and FBI behaved though, never doing the things they always do when abduction is a possibility (physical description, missing poster, frequent press releases/conferences).

Something seems to have told them fairly quickly that an event like that did not happen. After all, they executed two search warrants on the house, and dug up Barry’s work site over a 3 day period.

So in order for an abduction to have occurred, law enforcement would have had to have made a massive mistake.

I think Barry is the one who made that mistake, and whatever it was, it was absolutely huge.

Do we know if GD was there the moment the bike was discovered and did he witness every action by LE as they recovered the bike? Was it LE or a volunteer who discovered the bike?

Regarding "something told them that {abduction} did not happen", I suspect it was more likely there was nothing that indicated it... other than a bike found in a ravine either tossed or carried down from a road and "personal items" found along a road within the broader area. But, there's still the weird behavior of __, etc. What's an LE agent to do?

At this point it seems LE is not sure what occurred, although since earlier on they've proceeded as if SM was harmed by a certain someone and SM might be found under a concrete slab or in a local wooded area or down or up along rough terrain. So far, no dice.

No announcement of POI, SUSPECT, much less an arrest. It seems LE is leaning in that direction but until we're informed of a POI/SUSPECT/ARREST, abduction still remains a possibility in my mind.

Regarding the "two people" who saw SM on Sunday, is BM referring to himself and the friend with whom she was texting? Is it possible SM and her friend were using Zoom, or some other app. whereby they could actually see each other?

Questions, questions . . .

JMVHO.
Or maybe he was referring to the Sunday church service. Early on I thought someone found out that the service could be viewed on line. Maybe SM, or someone logged on to see it and there is documentation of that.

Some wilder thoughts --

What if Suzanne was poisoned, such that her actual death happened while no one else was at home?

(unlikely this could fit well with her truncated texts w bff, although possible if it hit her fast enough that she couldn't text "not feeling well" etc)

Also, a super creepy thought -- what if BM video'd SM "sleeping" on Sunday morning and shared that video with their daughters, in an "aw sweet, Mom is sleeping in on Mother's Day" way, maybe even at 5am before he supposedly left for the supposed Broomfield job. Thus the daughters might be the two people he's claiming saw her on Sunday? Ewww, sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member