Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If her friend notified LE prior to Suzanne being reported missing, wouldn't that have generated some type of a welfare check by LE?
Potentially. I’m talking about after she was reported missing though.

Concern would have turned to panic, and resulted in a phone call to LE.

sbbm

Do we know if GD was there the moment the bike was discovered and did he witness every action by LE as they recovered the bike? Was it LE or a volunteer who discovered the bike?

Regarding "something told them that {abduction} did not happen", I suspect it was more likely there was nothing that indicated it... other than a bike found in a ravine either tossed or carried down from a road and "personal items" found along a road within the broader area. But, there's still the weird behavior of __, etc. What's an LE agent to do?

At this point it seems LE is not sure what occurred, although since earlier on they've proceeded as if SM was harmed by a certain someone and SM might be found under a concrete slab or in a local wooded area or down or up along rough terrain. So far, no dice.

No announcement of POI, SUSPECT, much less an arrest. It seems LE is leaning in that direction but until we're informed of a POI/SUSPECT/ARREST, abduction still remains a possibility in my mind.

We’ve seen what the CBI does when they aren’t sure what occurred. They err on the side of caution, and distribute missing posters with a physical description of the individual in question.

Chris Watts set off alarm bells right away, but an official flyer was distributed featuring his wife and kids. The same happened with Kelsey Berreth.

I can’t fathom these agencies merely operating this way based on an initial hunch.

bbm
No Bolo with a description issued from the get-go. I would have a very hard time buying that L/E had that much tunnel vision. It's too easy to do. They knew it was a bogus story on day one. IMO

BOLO for a woman on a bike? That's exactly what LE put forward. Over many days until they clammed up.

As for a "bogus story on day one", what was the bogus part? That SM was missing? That BM was out of town? That the daughters were not at home? That's what LE discovered early on and I perceive none of that info as being outright "bogus".

I suspect as LE gathered more info and nothing panned out that indicated a definitive scenario they were then fully justified toward leaning more heavily on a typical 'spouse did it' protocol and investigated that avenue... either as a path to conviction or as a path to elimination. At that point I don't believe they knew which way it would fall.

It seems LE doesn't (yet?) have enough information to support a case against.

bbm

BOLO for a woman on a bike? That's exactly what LE put forward. Over many days until they clammed up.

As for a "bogus story on day one", what was the bogus part? That SM was missing? That BM was out of town? That the daughters were not at home? That's what LE discovered early on and I perceive none of that info as being outright "bogus".

I suspect as LE gathered more info and nothing panned out that indicated a definitive scenario they were then fully justified toward leaning more heavily on a typical 'spouse did it' protocol and investigated that avenue... either as a path to conviction or as a path to elimination. At that point I don't believe they knew which way it would fall.

When did LE issue a BOLO for a woman on a bike? Didn’t they find her bike Sunday night? That doesn’t make sense.

Someone last night referred to this, it was so intriguing that I had to go back and listen. Starts about 22.50, someone was out searching early, found some things that looked out of place, alerted LE, LE collected it, them. It's available as the generated transcript if you choose those 3 little dots, but too long to post here.

We’ve seen what the CBI does when they aren’t sure what occurred. They err on the side of caution, and distribute missing posters with a physical description of the individual in question.

Chris Watts set off alarm bells right away, but an official flyer was distributed featuring his wife and kids. The same happened with Kelsey Berreth.

I can’t fathom these agencies merely operating this way based on an initial hunch.

There might not be a "missing person" poster because LE has located evidence that indicates SM is likely not alive?

Someone last night referred to this, it was so intriguing that I had to go back and listen. Starts about 22.50, someone was out searching early, found some things that looked out of place, alerted LE, LE collected it, them. It's available as the generated transcript if you choose those 3 little dots, but too long to post here.

What do you press once you press the dots, to get the transcript?

Just listening to LS, I am not convinced that BM and AM have been in direct communication - LS didn't know how they had actually been in contact, but seemed to only know that BM was aware of some of the details around the search. In fact, I'd be surprised if they were talking or even e-mailing directly. JMO, but maybe someone close to BM is acting as an intermediary between the two.
I agree with that. LS sounded quite vague about that, and to me it
seemed she answered questions in a way that won't turn off future interviews with Barry. Not that I am criticizing her for that tack. I don't mean lies, but several times she took a long time to answer the question. IMO
I would guess that they (AM/BM) have not personally communicated for a very long time.

Last edited:
There might not be a "missing person" poster because LE has located evidence that indicates SM is likely not alive?
I think we would have seen murder charges by now if they had that kind of evidence. It would have to be something very strong, as I can’t see them taking that type of risk (not distributing a poster immediately).

If they found evidence like that inside the house (during a cursory walkthrough), then I think that house would have been searched right away (within a day or two).

If I recall, that search warrant wasn’t executed until over a week later.

I had to re-listen this morning as well. A man who was unable to join the search on the official search dates, and that is familiar with the area as he used to live there, flew out a few days ago and went out searching on his own. Normally that would make me nervous but it appears he knew what he was doing, as he didn't touch what he found, just took pics and reported it.

Sorry, completely off topic but I’m always filled with envy when I see people posting transcripts because if I click on those 3 dots I only have 2 options: “share” and “watch later” nothing else I can choose

bbm

So the original story goes she was out on a bike ride...to this day it's still on the Namus notice as it is in our description above .
Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37
No they did not issue a Bolo. There was not a poster with her description.... age, height, weight, scars/marks, does she wear glasses?(?), as in the last two pics I saw. To this day there is absolutely no description of the bike...we don't even know if it was a "mountain bike" or the color. For that matter a lot of people didn't have their hair well coiffed, after 10 weeks of lockdown/shops closed...we have no idea what she may have looked like, not to mention just recently coming off chemo treatments.

The bogus refers to the bike ride....the biggest part of the original story IMO

When did LE issue a BOLO for a woman on a bike? Didn’t they find her bike Sunday night? That doesn’t make sense.

This is about as close to a BOLO as was offered in the media:

Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride
Anybody who has information on Morphew’s whereabouts is asked to call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.

Given that SM's bike was recovered that Sunday evening it was likely SM would no longer be seen riding a bike (no BOLO on bike) and since no one reported seeing a woman walking along roads in the area then it was evident SM would not be seen. There was no evidence to support an official BOLO, so LE dropped to the standard "if you have information" request.

I had to re-listen this morning as well. A man who was unable to join the search on the official search dates, and that is familiar with the area as he used to live there, flew out a few days ago and went out searching on his own. Normally that would make me nervous but it appears he knew what he was doing, as he didn't touch what he found, just took pics and reported it.
I know they can't say, and shouldn't, but it occurred to me that maybe the friend was directed as to where to search due to recent info the teams may have received. AM said he would be meeting with LE when he gets there, re where they "can" search and where they "can't" search, but he presented that in terms of private land vs open areas. Still.....I wouldn't be astonished to learn that the searcher had some insight. And that it made sense to get someone out there before large groups go thru.

Last edited:
This scenario:

A certain someone disappeared SM and managed to position her bike at the location at which it was eventually discovered.

Some time later, some of SM's "personal items" (let's say maybe a bike helmet and a water bottle or other biking-related items) were dropped along a road at a location a brief distance away from the bike recovery location to give the impression of a direction (and because the individual responsible initially forgot to get rid of the items to support the bike ride scenario).

I suppose most of you will like this possibility much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member