Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Atty for BM, Now?
@marylamby
I don't know if BM has had a CO atty since May, but doubtful imo he engaged the one he hired re IN assault case, IN real est transactions, or IN guardianship case. Not likely these IN licensed atty's are also licensed to practice law in CO or would be allowed to appear in CO court pro hac vice.*

If BM has not already engaged a respected, CO criminal defense atty, he may be caught flat footed if/when remains are recovered. In the meantime he'd do himself a favor by following advice even a :D;) 1L who flunked Crim Law:D:( could offer, "Don't talk." jm2cts.

As always, welcoming comment, clarification, comment, esp'ly by our legal professionals.

--------------------------------------------------------
* "... a practice in common law jurisdictions, whereby a lawyer who has not been admitted to practice in a certain jurisdiction is allowed to participate in a particular case in that jurisdiction... " Pro hac vice - Wikipedia
In CO: Future Lawyers - Attorney Regulation Counsel
IIRC The only mention of BM hiring an attorney was something Nancy Grace reported back in June or July I think. She stated he had ‘lawyered up’. I’d have to look for the link. Other than that, I haven’t heard any other conversation about him seeking counsel.

Defense Atty, for BM, Dau's?
#1.
As far as the IN attorney(ies) he used in the past, I was speaking more to 'advice' he may have received - or not.
Alternately, any CO attorney he may have hired or has been approached by - no clue thus far.
#2.
AM said BM hired a defense attorney for himself and one for his daughters in one of the latest interviews.
bbm @MsBetsy[/USER[USER=240785]@marylamby
#1. Yes, but regardless of which atty or where, if, big IF, presumably BM told atty "My wife went missing and I have no idea where she went" what advice can atty give him? Even if BM's stmts suggested to atty some possible tangential involvement in SM's disappearance, what advice then, besides, "Don't talk" (and a little bit more).
#2. First considering the source, seemingly BM, I keep the salt shaker close by when he speaks. Second, if BM told AM he hired a
defense atty for -
--- himself, no surprise, regardless of whether LE, soc media, and/or MSM spotlights BM as poss PoI/suspect.
--- his dau's, well, hmmm. Does BM think one or both need a crim def atty? If BM was involved in SM's disappearance, CO's Slayer Statute may bar BM from receiving SM's
sole property and joint prop, accts, assets he holds w her. And more, for ex, life ins. The dau's may benefit from legal advice for them, re their rights to prop which may come from SM potentially thru a civil suit, even without a criminal conviction against BM.

I wonder if part of BM's stmts to AM was lost in translation. e.g., something AM misheard or misremembered. jm2cts.
As always, welcoming comment, clarification, correction, esp'ly from our legal professionals.
[/USER]

Last edited:
@Minordetails and others:

IMHO BM is sweating bullets because one of the planned search sites might be in the area of SM's remains.

O/T I was unable to get the "quote" thingy to work..grr...

I am also worried that he is going to be relieved if it turns out they are not looking in the correct location. :mad:

I am feeling quite optimistic about this search though i am praying they find something. I think based on the effort from AM and everybody else involved in setting up the search and the amount of man power of 500+ people that Law enforcement has likley given AM some valuable info and recommended places to search even if they didn't want to give out this info in the past, this is an opportunity they can't let pass.

on tricia's podcast last night, chris had been in contact with an architect landscaper/construction professional who saw some anomalies at the wall in broomfield recently. they went up there today and took some photos, and there were "no trespassing" signs at the wall on the riverbed.

tomorrow they will run cadaver dogs by that riverbed.

this is DLR. (does not look right). they will be attempting to get a bull dozer down there asap.

on tricia's podcast last night, chris had been in contact with an architect landscaper/construction professional who saw some anomalies at the wall in broomfield recently. they went up there today and took some photos, and there were "no trespassing" signs at the wall on the riverbed.

tomorrow they will run cadaver dogs by that riverbed.

this is DLR. (does not look right). they will be attempting to get a bull dozer down there asap.

VERY interesting!

I'm confused over the new 8am part, People are saying the texts stopped at 8am? has this been confirmed? The only screen shot i saw was one that said last phone activity at 8am? That could simply be the last time the phone pinged before it was turned off, it doesn't necessarily mean that was the last time somebody used the phone. Unless i have missed something else that confirms 8am was the last time messages were sent?

Last edited:
Crap am I gone? Nobody told me yet!!!! Geesh, and I had to read it on Websleuths.
Haha, the news of your death was much exagerated.
Thanks! Fireflize, I've been invested here for 37 threads and 49 with Gannon. I want to at least hang in until Barry is charged, and see Letecia found guilty! Then I am fine to go :). God knows, I'm working really hard to stay out of TO, so the news of my early demise scared me a bit.
I do not wish ill fortune on anyone, lord knows, but if an intricate Websleuths case keeps you kickin, I hope you can latch onto a new case after we see BM locked up!

Brother of missing Indiana native Suzanne Morphew leading volunteer search expedition - WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana Weather | Indiana Traffic

After listening to the video, I was struck by the conviction in AM's statements in regards to Susanne being killed Saturday morning and her phone being destroyed after her conversation was interrupted at 8 am. He seemed quite sure. I suspect he may have been shown evidence that backs up his hypothesis. I think that his statement was intended to let BM know that LE know what he did and when. Moo

I'm confused over the new 8am part, People are saying the texts stopped at 8am? has this been confirmed? The only screen shot i saw was one that said last phone activity at 8am? That could simply be the last time the phone pinged before it was turned off, it doesn't necessarily mean that was the last time somebody used the phone. Unless i have missed something else that confirms 8am was the last time messages were sent?

I think we are all confused about it. It was just that one new news video so there is a chance it could be a mistake.

LE would likely keep that information secret so unless a news reporter or someone like AM was able to speak directly to the friend it would be hard to know the exact time of the last text message SM had with her friend.

I suppose we have to treat it with a grain of salt until we start to see confirmation of it in other places.
JMO

Last edited:
it's interesting that 19057 puma path in salida is now pinned as the suzanne morphew hope foundation. that's new, is it not? (it is.)

any google map experts know if this is something that any rando can do, or would it have to be the person who (previously) lived there? and for what financial/legal reasons did BM do that?

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.11.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.11.52.png
    1 MB · Views: 34
Catching up this morning and re-watching this video at the link, I think it's a safe bet that the 8am phone activity for SM is correct.

"She was texting her friend about the wedding on Saturday, May 9th, when her phone activity suddenly stopped"
"And that was the last time anyone heard from her"
"I think her cell phone was destroyed after that, and I really suspect foul play if you want the truth of the matter"
"Do you have any hope at all that she may still be alive?"
"No I don't, to be honest with you. I think she was gone Saturday morning".

Brother of missing Indiana native Suzanne Morphew leading volunteer search expedition - WISH-TV | Indianapolis News | Indiana Weather | Indiana Traffic

Not sure. He could've called her and said 'wrap it up'.
MG's interview with LS: video linked below:

"Barry had started working that beach job Friday evening, and Saturday when he picked me up he asked me to clean it up and rake it out so we're gonna add the, um bring it up to level so that it was uh beach sand and not muck".

"NO, everthing flat, flat, flat, flat, you know he was acting really weird about it, and I was like, Barry, what up, you know. He seemed like, I don't know, stressed, he definitely seemed weird on Saturday".

"I was planning on working all day that day but we only worked till 11. And he said he had to go make the wife happy, do some hiking or biking and I found out later that day that he was in town all day."

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

Of course this all begs the question, what time did BM pick up MG that Saturday?

I’m a little behind on the thread but if the 8am Saturday texting time is accurate, I can see the following situation:

-Saturday 8am: SM is dead and texts stop
-BM realizes he has to get to the Salida job site, so he logs in as SM on Facebook on his phone
-BM is trying to pretend to be SM and messaging with the best friend
-By 11am, BM realizes he can’t keep this up, so he tells MG they are going to stop early.
-BM heads home to figure out WTF he’s going to do
-The messaging with the friend continues until 12:30pm with BM impersonating SM
-The friend is having suspicions and something she asks (personal question, wanna FaceTime) makes her realize this isn’t SM and she panics. BM also panics and stops communicating.
-That explains the 12:30pm time frame as well as the 8am time frame, and explains why BM would need to log in to SM’s Facebook on his phone and why those friend requests to BM’s contacts went out at Midnight on Saturday.

I think BM realizing that the friend might be suspicious and panicking himself decides to head into town to be seen, as well as be away from the house in case anyone came knocking.

In that scenario, I’d be very curious where SM’s body was kept Saturday morning through late afternoon.

Ok. So it now sounds like Suzanne’s last phone activity was around 8am on Saturday morning. This begs the question, was it definitely her?

That seems like a strange time to have a major argument, or even commit a premeditated murder.

This of course would explain Barry’s alleged strange behavior at the construction site, as he knew he had a body to dispose of and an alibi to build.

I don’t know though.

For some reason, I think the time frame has been moving because we’ve been going off what witnesses have said or tips that have come in.

I think what might have changed, is that the cell phone/electronic forensics have come back and that data is now driving the time frame. The previous times can be explained by BM impersonating SM.

I also hope this data is what has given Andy the 3.5 hour time frame and 30-40 miles radius.

"In the days and months since his sister was last seen, [AM] has coordinated a massive, six-day search effort, with the support of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and CBI.

'I’m pretty certain they exhausted all the resources and that’s why I’m coming out there,' he said. "

“I want to bring her back home”: Hundreds plan to join search for Suzanne Morphew this week | FOX21 News Colorado

I read this as AM saying that LE doesn't have anything. In other words, they've exhausted all their leads and don't have evidence to charge anyone with a crime. Anyone interpret this differently?

I interpret it to mean that the CCSO:

-Has limited funds to keep throwing at the search efforts
-There are only so many times you can ask various SAR groups to participate in searching the same areas.

AM said he felt certain SM was within a 3.5 hour drive of the home.

If we take MG's interview and this recent change in timeline, last heard from @0800. He shows up at the job site around 1100 and tells them to go home.

This becomes a viable 3 hour window for all of this. Just thinking out loud.

Very good point. It also would explain why BM would be in town Saturday creating yet another Alibi and also not wanting to be home in case any one came knocking.

In that scenario, the check in time at the Holiday Inn Broomfield becomes very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33