Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:

From the very beginning, I've been openly dubious about the Sunday bike ride story.

I'm firmly in the camp that the bike ride was a complete fiction.

The purpose of staging is usually misdirection.

"Look over there, not here."

I can't think of a reason for a stranger to stage a disappearance during a bike ride, can anyone else?

JMO.

I'm not sure the bike ride was "fiction" so much as "misunderstanding." (unless that's where you're going, too) After reading the Daily Mail piece, in which it was reported that SM's daughters notified Jeanne Ritter, one of the neighbors, that they couldn't reach their mom and could she go check on her -- I'm wondering if perhaps the "bike ride" idea came up because it was one possibility but not necessarily probability as to what SM had been doing since the last time she communicated with her daughters.

I've been puzzling about that for a few days, now. Maybe SM hadn't gone on a bike ride (but maybe her daughters thought she had), which means maybe there's a different timeline at play here, too, as to when SM was last heard from. And by that, I mean, actually spoke with someone because texts can be faked.

JMO

The nephew is a blood relative of BM and related to SM by marriage. Unless I misunderstood your post....
Yes- apologies my post meant to say it is the nephew of SM and BM. I see it in the media threads pretty consistently as “ the nephew of SM” and then on WS he is identified as “the nephew of BM”. The different emphasis just struck me as odd.

JMO
I believe the nephew is where we first heard about a bike being found.
But as we've discussed here, the "reported bike ride" came up when the neighbor made the missing person report on May 10. Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff
Since no one apparently saw SM on her bike on May 10, what made the neighbor think SM went on a bike ride?

Last edited:
How possible is the following scenario? With Covid-19 restrictions, job losses, economy tanked, could it be that some desperate person took advantage of a small woman on a bike, knew or figured out where she lived, and had her take them there to rob her and then took her from or harmed her there in the home? It seems that these times have brought out the worst in some people.

I realize that a popular theory right now is that the bike was planted and crime done in the home in a non-stranger fashion, so I'm trying to play devil's advocate (my usual) and think about another scenario that might explain stranger perp but still linking in the bike ride and the home as a crime scene. I guess one thing I can think that goes against this thought is the fact that dogs did not find a scent at the trail--am I recalling that detail correctly?

IMO, a scent trail also ends when you enter a vehicle.
If dogs couldn't pick up a scent trail from the bike, that might bolster the theory that it was planted. MOO
How possible is the following scenario? With Covid-19 restrictions, job losses, economy tanked, could it be that some desperate person took advantage of a small woman on a bike, knew or figured out where she lived, and had her take them there to rob her and then took her from or harmed her there in the home? It seems that these times have brought out the worst in some people.

I realize that a popular theory right now is that the bike was planted and crime done in the home in a non-stranger fashion, so I'm trying to play devil's advocate (my usual) and think about another scenario that might explain stranger perp but still linking in the bike ride and the home as a crime scene. I guess one thing I can think that goes against this thought is the fact that dogs did not find a scent at the trail--am I recalling that detail correctly?
we don't know what the dogs did or did not find. We are just speculating what could be gleaned from positive or negative findings. MOO

I mentioned this earlier but it is extremely important. Law Enforcement (LE) doesn't simply designate a warrant as sealed or not. In Colorado, LE has to show by clear and convincing evidence that unless the warrant is sealed there is a substantial risk of injury to persons or property.
That would be pretty easy to achieve when a woman is missing and could be killed if an abductor knew law enforcement was close to solving the case. That seems pretty clear and convincing to me, but I’m not a judge.

Oh I’m definitely leaning towards someone from the area. Like real close to the area. MOO

And we know LE are looking for CCTV from May 8. This person had plenty of time to stage the area IMO
I don’t feel like we should assume Suzanne was missing as of that date. Yes, it’s a possibility, but it’s also a possibility that LE is looking to see if a specific vehicle was in the area during that time, or if there’s a vehicle that went up and down the road ten times, or a person walking that didn’t appear to be a typical hiker.

That being said, I believe she did not go missing on the 10th. But not sure how much before that.

MOO.

What items could be referred to as "personal item"... I believe that phrase was used with intent; we know it belongs to SM and we want a potential perp to know we have it.

Medication.
Cell phone.
Clothing / shoes.
Keys.
Firearm or pepper spray.
None of the above.

Maybe it was something SM (or anyone else for that matter) would not typically bring with her when she left the house something only kept at and used within the home. I doubt it.

I'm leaning toward it being pepper spray, second choice is firearm.

RSBM. Minor point of clarification, the Sheriff said they found personal itemS --plural -- that they thought belonged to SM during their search on May 14. See 4:00 in video here: Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

Good thought. I’m still open to it being an abduction by a stranger or someone known to her, but not Barry. Guess I’m really hoping it’s not him.

But as we've discussed here, the "reported bike ride" came up when the neighbor made the missing person report on May 10. Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff
Since no one apparently saw SM on her bike May 10, what made the neighbor think SM went on a bike ride?

JMO
Yeah, there is a distinction that we have to keep clear.

According to below link the bike was definitely found during the search for SM. That doesnt mean there really was a bike ride though. That may have just been deductive reasoning when they couldnt find her and even after they found the bike. Its easy for the initial people looking for her to assume a ride took place. Its only after really thinking through it that questions surface whether a ride even took place.

But the bike was found according to link below and is part of this case.

..... says her bike was found that evening, but Morphew was nowhere to be found. Sheriff John Spezze has told CBS4 it was “probably not” animals. ......urged people to question the sheriff about the condition of the bike.

'We Want Her Back': $200,000 Reward Offered In Search For Suzanne Morphew

So if the crime took place at home. The body then has to be moved but also the bike to the location at which it was found. Plus the personal belonging, and maybe others. To make it look like she took a bike ride. Who can do those particular things, and also have the knowledge and capabilities of not being spotted at all. A lot of moving parts in my opinion. Perpetrators can be opportunistic and extreme careful at the same time. But you need knowledge of the surroundings to be able to pull off the staging.

Not knowing where your mother is must be maddening. Mother. Wife. Friend. Family in general. I’ve seen close up the absolute terror family and friends go through. A living nightmare. I just hope there are answers to her exact location. Hope this isn’t another situation where there are no answers in whereabouts for years. Depends on how well she is hidden. Either by accident or foul play. Uggggg
Hope for answers tomorrow.

I regret saying this, but could the perp be so egotistical he/she would think they wouldn’t get caught?

Imo - it’s murder for hire with staging imo or just some mid-life crisis stereotypical SO waiting in the wings and mad after she beat all these treatments. I actually paused quite a few times b4 typing this ugg

I also wanted to bring up the point that while perhaps no one saw her on a bike on May 10, that does not mean that she definitely did not go on a bike ride that day. I think it's the home search and focus that is making it seem as though maybe the bike ride didn't happen and was staged. So can someone who's been at this longer than me say anything about how often it happens that the home of a victim is sealed off and searched, with bags of stuff coming out of it, and then it turns out that it was not the scene of the crime, or at least, not a family member who did it? Is it possible the home search in this case is still "standard procedure"?

I also wanted to bring up the point that while perhaps no one saw her on a bike on May 10, that does not mean that she definitely did not go on a bike ride that day. I think it's the home search and focus that is making it seem as though maybe the bike ride didn't happen and was staged. So can someone who's been at this longer than me say anything about how often it happens that the home of a victim is sealed off and searched, with bags of stuff coming out of it, and then it turns out that it was not the scene of the crime, or at least, not a family member who did it? Is it possible the home search in this case is still "standard procedure"?
Unfortunately, every one that I’ve followed that had bags of “stuff” come out is NOT good at all. IMO

However, that does not necessarily mean it doesn’t happen. I’m just a bit jaded after following the last few cases from Colorado alone. And I absolutely love Colorado, it’s beautiful!

I regret saying this, but could the perp be so egotistical he/she would think they wouldn’t get caught?

Imo - it’s murder for hire with staging imo or just some mid-life crisis stereotypical SO waiting in the wings and mad after she beat all these treatments. I actually paused quite a few times b4 typing this ugg
Wow! You just took me right back to the Kelsey Berreth case.

Is it possible a perpetrator followed that case and learned some things? Let’s hope not! MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela