Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have some doubts that they'll find any remains at the Salida 'beach' job site. Part of my conclusion is based on the fact that a river like the S. Arkansas is not static in terms of it's banks and the possibility of annual erosion from snowmelt could wash away the introduced sand compromising the rocks and boulders placed by BM. I live in Ontario on the cusp of Muskoka, an area filled with numerous lakes and rivers. It can be an annual event bringing in sand to replace the destruction of a beach from huge ice dams and the annual rise of rivers and lakes from snow melt.

To me it's more likely that the cadaver dogs have picked up residual effects of cadaverine from the equipment that was used to bury the remains elsewhere.

I hope I'm wrong.

Devil's advocate posts are absolutely so welcome and help with insight. it can help make opposite arguments stronger, and help people brainstorm from different perspectives. at the very least, they're good for a chuckle.

I have a simple question and am slightly curious. Does anyone know what triggered the move from Alexandria Indiana to Maysville Colorado. To all intents and purposes Mr & Mrs M were quite at home in Alexandria IN. I am just curious as to what makes someone cross 3 or 4 Counties/States and set up a $1.5 million dollar home in the middle of friggin nowhere.

Edited to add not quite sure if this is Counties or States.
I hope this is okay to post, but my DW actually had a conversation directly with BM and SM years ago while they were in Indiana. They were planning at that time (she doesn't know exactly when this was, but likely in the 2016 timeframe) to move to CO with hopes to eventually retire there. They were both (at least publicly) excited about it - both enjoy the outdoors and that was the primary draw. So I don't believe the move to CO was sudden or unplanned. JMO, MOO.

I call those people “followers”, they’re never leaders. They allow that “someone“ to do their thinking for them, following and hanging on that person’s every word. How any “friend” of BM’s can turn their back on finding SM is beyond me. BM has drawn a line in the sand, him on one side, LE & everyone else on the other side. Either you’re with him or you must be against him, Nevermind about the missing “love of his life.”

The only reason I could see for these 'followers' to stick by BM's side is perhaps the promise of $$$$. Being told that if if they keep quiet or divert the attn away from him, that when this is all over and done with, BM will give them $$$ from SM's huge life insurance policy.

jmo

To me, the only thing of interest about the pink bike is that it points towards premeditation and makes the already clearly staged bike seen that much more obviously staged. And it ties BM directly to the bike in some fashion.
For some reason, I feel like I remember after the initial searches PE mentioned the dogs hadnt hit on the bike? I dont recall if they were cadaver dogs or search and rescue dogs, but either way it would be telling if the dogs got nothing from the bike. So I think you may be onto something here. Also loving the new icon (apologies If I totally misremembered that lol if so LMK and I will edit)

I have a feeling that it will take a while to begin excavating these areas- they likely need to jump through some legal hoops before they can get their own dogs and handlers set and ready to see what they come up with- its a possibility they will even decide not to excavate based off the reactions of their dogs. moo

Last edited:
The home has a septic system, which does not necessarily include a tank. Nearly all mountain structures employ a leach field, which is a fan shaped network of slotted sewer pipes running through the thin layer of soil/gravel. The ground is far too hard to be digging holes for tanks. Does anyone remember the wide, very careful fan shaped dig at PF's house, in order to collect samples of sewage residue in the Berreth disappearance? IMO
Thank you for this, I was thinking about this as well.

I am unsure about search. I had to check out of hotel room so wasn't able to make it to 8 am meet up this am. Everything seems less active today though. Bunch of vehicles with ATVs were still back at hotel when i left. Of course i can't say 100% that they were/are involved in search. I will try to find out.

The home has a septic system, which does not necessarily include a tank. Nearly all mountain structures employ a leach field, which is a fan shaped network of slotted sewer pipes running through the thin layer of soil/gravel. The ground is far too hard to be digging holes for tanks. Does anyone remember the wide, very careful fan shaped dig at PF's house, in order to collect samples of sewage residue in the Berreth disappearance? IMO

Thanks. That makes absolute sense. Would the new build in Salida that had the concrete slab investigated have an alternate type of septic system?

Did Barry buy Suzanne a pink bike as a Mother’s Day gift? Was she unimpressed? Did they have an argument that ended in murder and a bike being pitched into a ravine? Or was the pink bike the one that was recovered-the bike that wasn’t Suzanne’s, a bike purchased as part of the bike scenario because Suzanne’s was in Scot’s shop and could not be used?

BBM
The whole pink bike reveal is starting to makes sense to me as to its significance based on your comment. Obviously it is going to factor into the investigation of this case or CM wouldn’t have mentioned it but my pea brain couldn’t understand what the implication of the pink bike was.

MOO
It somewhat makes sense if what is being alluded is that a recently purchased bike was what may have been recovered, yet Suzanne’s actual bike was still in the bike shop for repairs.

However...
1. I would think BM would have known her bike was in the shop. Did he not expect Scot to come forward after SM’s disappearance and let LE know he had her bike in the shop?

2. Wouldn’t the daughters identify pretty quickly that the pink bike was not their Mother’s regular riding bike?

I don’t know. I guess I’m still a little uncertain of how the pink bike plays into implicating BM.

Suzanne Morphew’s brother believes she was a victim of domestic abuse, says Barry Morphew threatened volunteer searchers with a gun on his shoulders

On Thursday, Fox 21 News reporter Lauren Scharf, who has been covering the missing persons investigation since May and recently interviewed Barry Morphew, said in a Twitter post that she would not be reporting on the search that day, prompting widespread speculation about why she may have been taken off the assignment.

CrimeOnline reached out to Fox 21 News Director Joe Cole, who did not return a request for comment. Krista Witiak, who is covering Friday’s search and the scheduled vigil for Suzanne later in the evening, said she had no information about why Scharf was not present at the search. Witiak also said she believes she would have been made aware of any threats against her colleagues in connection with the Morphew investigation.

It's tricky. I can't get a decent look at back of house from road. I think i saw one person in regular clothes in garage.
Ok. Thank you for all your updates and pictures! It sounds like there's not much going on today, at least in that location. Have you heard that the search is ending today? Are you disappointed or does it seem that everyone is satisfied with the search efforts?

Suzanne Morphew’s brother believes she was a victim of domestic abuse, says Barry Morphew threatened volunteer searchers with a gun on his shoulders

On Thursday, Fox 21 News reporter Lauren Scharf, who has been covering the missing persons investigation since May and recently interviewed Barry Morphew, said in a Twitter post that she would not be reporting on the search that day, prompting widespread speculation about why she may have been taken off the assignment.

CrimeOnline reached out to Fox 21 News Director Joe Cole, who did not return a request for comment. Krista Witiak, who is covering Friday’s search and the scheduled vigil for Suzanne later in the evening, said she had no information about why Scharf was not present at the search. Witiak also said she believes she would have been made aware of any threats against her colleagues in connection with the Morphew investigation.

Strange indeed. She’s off Twitter (for now) and the PE guys have stopped bringing it up.

If she did receive threats from someone, I would expect her to act exactly as she has and I would not expect her colleague to reveal such information. This has been her story for a long time. She was actively working on new pieces, including a piece regarding the RTD DENVER contract that BM was supposedly working on Sunday.

I also respect the moderators wishes to keep the subject relevant to SM, but if LS was the reporter shining bright lights on many areas of the case and if she did in fact receive threats (rumor, still) that would also be relevant to the case against BM in my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member