Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the very beginning of the video at the Daily Mail, before they begin digging, it looks like they are using something on the ground that has a long thick black iron or steel pole sticking up from it and they are manipulating it around on the ground, but I don't know what GPR devices look like. Is that it?
Video: FBI searches for missing woman on land owned by her husband | Daily Mail Online
Good question, I was wondering the same.
This is the FBI's evidence response team, so I imagine it's one of their tools of the trade.

In the very beginning of the video at the Daily Mail, before they begin digging, it looks like they are using something on the ground that has a long thick black iron or steel pole sticking up from it and they are manipulating it around on the ground, but I don't know what GPR devices look like. Is that it?
Video: FBI searches for missing woman on land owned by her husband | Daily Mail Online

from the video that looks too much like a manual tool even for some of the low-tech GPR tools I’ve seen. Image with man on left using the tool I think you’re referring to? The woman is using and clearly has a regular shovel. The way he’s using this tool isn’t being used like GPR, seeming to push it into dirt and twist it. Sorry for low-res images, operating currently via mobile

Edit: I stand corrected, it appears to have been a tool for collecting soil samples, per other great users here.

Attachments

• A5F8BCCC-64E4-4EC5-BAD0-5E3D3A4F8C12.jpeg
    A5F8BCCC-64E4-4EC5-BAD0-5E3D3A4F8C12.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 60ACB319-CAD0-40B5-98AA-8985F4E6CA44.jpeg
    60ACB319-CAD0-40B5-98AA-8985F4E6CA44.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
If they remove the big rocks, would they be able to tell that a certain area of ground had been dug recently, just by looking?

There would be a good chance that they could tell if the ground was disturbed there, but it may have been compacted well, and having been rained on numerous times it might be tough to tell.

It would depend on how recently the ground was disturbed, how well an operator may have compacted it when closing up the hole, and the type of ground. My gut says yes, but not definitely so.

The tree is near the puma Path residence. The dig going on right now is the longhorn ranch property.

The site of the current dig not being BM’s property kind of makes sense. I don’t see why BM would have ever let AM or LE on that property to search unless they had a warrant.

Are we sure it's the Longhorn ranch property?

from the video that looks too much like a manual tool even for some of the low-tech GPR tools I’ve seen. Image with man on left using the tool I think you’re referring to? The woman is using and clearly has a regular shovel. The way he’s using this tool isn’t being used like GPR, seeming to push it into dirt and twist it. Looks much much more like a probe to me. Second image is a GPR. Sorry for low-res images, operating currently via mobile

That's probably a soil core sampler, it would have a drill bit end on it. Could be used to determine if soil has been disturbed, as has been recently discussed here.

After watching the video, it appears they used that tractor and front end loader to scrape off some loose topsoil, then they went to town taking core samples. Likely, IMO, to determine if the ground was disturbed there.

from the video that looks too much like a manual tool even for some of the low-tech GPR tools I’ve seen. Image with man on left using the tool I think you’re referring to? The woman is using and clearly has a regular shovel. The way he’s using this tool isn’t being used like GPR, seeming to push it into dirt and twist it. Looks much much more like a probe to me. Second image is a GPR. Sorry for low-res images, operating currently via mobile

No it is not that narrow diameter probe. The iron or steel pole sticking up looked slightly thicker in diameter than the handle of a standard garden shovel and it had what looked like an iron cap over the top. It was only momentarily visible in the middle of the group before they started digging.

ETA: I see that @stattlich1 and @elmomom have both indicated it is likely a soil core sampler. That would make sense and I haven't found anything in my quick search of GPR that looks like it.

Anyone who has worked construction or an outside job has probably cut themselves, smashed a finger, etc. a time or two and had blood drip down onto the ground. How do the dogs or LE distinguish between what could have been an injury on a job site vs. a significant find that should be processed?

They can't. But unless that minor injury happened within the last month, it's really unlikely. Doesn't look like a construction site, so it would have had to have been a casual visitor or surveyor or possible buyer.

A few drops of blood on the ground from 4 months ago would be unusual for a dog to detect. Not so sure if it was a pool of blood (but that's not a minor accident).

A whole body? Depends on circumstances, but dogs have been known to find them after 25 years. And 15 feet under.

Experts: Cadaver dogs 95 percent accurate, can smell remains 15 feet underground

Human cadaverine isn't just found in blood though. It's responsible for the smell of some body secretions (in very small amounts). It can also be found inside the living human body, particularly with some illnesses.

I find this comment by chris slightly irritating considering the statements he made last night about LE
I agree. And I’m not active in the Twitterverse but it seems a few others may have had the same idea too based on comments / replies to that Tweet. It shouldn’t matter now, everyone wants the same thing which is SM to be found, her family to have closure and justice for anyone responsible for all this. But yeah, I thought the comments against LE last night seemed to send a lot of people to bombard the sheriff Facebook page with outrage.

It also seems that maybe they were really needing time to get things organized overnight. Not great but it’s possible, especially when you consider that they’ve said the sheriff is out on medical this WEEK aka not that he started some short medical leave today, which could’ve (again, not saying it was right) led to some of the apparent lack of action on their part yesterday...? Just a thought.

No views of a LIDAR being used at the site either. That's perhaps telling @vislaw? Those were set up from the get go on another case that vislaw helped us with.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

With the private search by Andrew Moorman concluding on September 29, 2020, the Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force, consisting of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office provides a recap of the search for Suzanne over the last several days, and since she went missing on May 10, 2020.

As reported previously, the law enforcement team responded to collect several pieces of possible evidence found by the searchers across the county, and will continue to follow-up to determine if there is any connection to Suzanne’s disappearance.

Also this week, members of the law enforcement task force responded to the report of human remains trained dogs “alerting” on three separate properties in Chaffee County. To clarify, none of these properties are owned by members of the Morphew family. One of the locations investigated by the task force was along the Arkansas River in the county. The dog handler used on that private property was interviewed by our team and explained that the dogs did not “alert” to anything on the property but did show interest. Our law enforcement team obtained consent from the property owner, and after further investigation, including working with the private human remains dogs on the property, it was determined this was not a viable lead in this case.

A second property near the Morphew home was also investigated after the same dog team alerted to an area on that private property. Our investigation team, immediately upon being notified, secured the scene and provided around the clock security until investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office, FBI and CBI arrived. This location of interest on the private property, with the consent of the property owner, was investigated extensively by members of the task force, and found to have no evidentiary significance to the case.

A third location was also identified in unincorporated Chaffee County near Salida on private property where a different pair of human remains dogs alerted. Also, once alerted, our team responded immediately and secured the property providing security around the clock. This morning our team, along with the FBI and CBI, and with consent of the property owner, excavated this location and once again, nothing of evidentiary value to the Suzanne Morphew case was located.

The Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force remains dedicated to determining what happened to Suzanne. “The level of commitment from the entire team from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI investigators is unprecedented and unparalleled,” said Sheriff John Spezze. “While the public may not see all of the effort being put forth in this case, I can assure the community that this investigation continues to move forward.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to assigning financial and staffing resources to this case, as leads continue to be extensively followed up on by investigators. “The investigative task force remains resolved in their commitment to finding Suzanne, and our hearts go out to her family and friends,” said Sheriff Spezze.

Anyone with information that could assist law enforcement in locating Suzanne Morphew is encouraged to call 719-312-7530.

Suzanne Morphew missing person Investigative Task Force Recap since May 10:

1,123 Total tips called to the designated tip line (includes hang-ups and duplicates).
180 Interviews conducted in Colorado, Indiana and other locations. This number does not take into account the hundreds of other contacts made between investigators and individuals as part of this case since May.
130+ Searches conducted (including warrants, which remained sealed at this time)
4,000+ Hours spent by Task Force investigators on the case.

Chaffee County Sheriff just shared:
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

With the private search by Andrew Moorman concluding on September 29, 2020, the Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force, consisting of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office provides a recap of the search for Suzanne over the last several days, and since she went missing on May 10, 2020.

As reported previously, the law enforcement team responded to collect several pieces of possible evidence found by the searchers across the county, and will continue to follow-up to determine if there is any connection to Suzanne’s disappearance.

Also this week, members of the law enforcement task force responded to the report of human remains trained dogs “alerting” on three separate properties in Chaffee County. To clarify, none of these properties are owned by members of the Morphew family. One of the locations investigated by the task force was along the Arkansas River in the county. The dog handler used on that private property was interviewed by our team and explained that the dogs did not “alert” to anything on the property but did show interest. Our law enforcement team obtained consent from the property owner, and after further investigation, including working with the private human remains dogs on the property, it was determined this was not a viable lead in this case.

A second property near the Morphew home was also investigated after the same dog team alerted to an area on that private property. Our investigation team, immediately upon being notified, secured the scene and provided around the clock security until investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office, FBI and CBI arrived. This location of interest on the private property, with the consent of the property owner, was investigated extensively by members of the task force, and found to have no evidentiary significance to the case.

A third location was also identified in unincorporated Chaffee County near Salida on private property where a different pair of human remains dogs alerted. Also, once alerted, our team responded immediately and secured the property providing security around the clock. This morning our team, along with the FBI and CBI, and with consent of the property owner, excavated this location and once again, nothing of evidentiary value to the Suzanne Morphew case was located.

The Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force remains dedicated to determining what happened to Suzanne. “The level of commitment from the entire team from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI investigators is unprecedented and unparalleled,” said Sheriff John Spezze. “While the public may not see all of the effort being put forth in this case, I can assure the community that this investigation continues to move forward.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to assigning financial and staffing resources to this case, as leads continue to be extensively followed up on by investigators. “The investigative task force remains resolved in their commitment to finding Suzanne, and our hearts go out to her family and friends,” said Sheriff Spezze.

Anyone with information that could assist law enforcement in locating Suzanne Morphew is encouraged to call 719-312-7530.

Suzanne Morphew missing person Investigative Task Force Recap since May 10:

1,123 Total tips called to the designated tip line (includes hang-ups and duplicates).
180 Interviews conducted in Colorado, Indiana and other locations. This number does not take into account the hundreds of other contacts made between investigators and individuals as part of this case since May.
130+ Searches conducted (including warrants, which remained sealed at this time)
4,000+ Hours spent by Task Force investigators on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean