Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #43

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that he likely only poses as a Christian. Do we even know if he went to church, not that that’s the measure anyway?
MOO

"CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered. “Barry is just beside himself and so are the rest of us because they can’t find her,” the message, sent on May 11, reads in part." ‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]

We also know they had a local church in Salida as well, from various MSM sources that have been linked here many times. So yes, we do know that BM was actively involved in attending church.

Yeah. There was no reason for Barry to mention that. He did though, and felt a need to explain himself.

So CBI must have been focused on that bobcat.
MOO, I had the impression from that LS interview that BM was asked to offer an explanation as to why the timeline and EVI didn’t match up. BM then explained that he failed to disclose some sort of pit stop to another location... involving the bobcat. Again, wouldn’t it be helpful to hear the entire interview so that we would have context!

Since the beginning of this sad case, JR has been very private. If she realized SM was missing, and if she DID smell bleach, imagine how internally freaked out she would have been.
I am pretty sure she would tell LE about that "smell" detail.....which would IMO be a HUGE tell to LE.
How fearful of BM is she, as each day ticks by?
MOO
I really didn’t think my post through very well :rolleyes:. No doubt JR went through the house whether stated in MSM or not, but MOO. SM could have been dead or injured in the house at that point. So yes, she likely smelled the bleach just as JP and MG smelled the bleach at the HIE.

I feel for that poor woman too. She may realize she’s living next to a probable wife killer that may become unhinged at any time. JMO.

In Andy's extended interview with PE
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
@8:42 he says that TN or one of the kids showed up and they called 911. I always wondered why TN arrived on scene so quickly since he lives 2+ hours away. Now that @NatureLover has advised that TN's mom was part of the camping expedition and that she and BM's mom drove to CO together, it makes more sense. Where was BM's mom during this time? Did she go on the trip too or stay with TN? Were they planning to celebrate MD at BM & SM's home? Thank goodness BM was fortunate enough to have his support system so close when tragedy struck. I am not in any way implying they were complicit in SM's disappearance, I just find the timing interesting, more people dancing to Barry's tune.

MOO

But is BM really a devoted Christian? My bet it’s on Suzanne (by what I’ve seen posted by her). I think he was going to church to keep up this perfect family image and maybe to network and build up his landscaping business.

I haven’t seen one outward Christian trait in him. He has never mentioned his wife by her Christian name. Heck! He hasn’t even searched for her or gone to any vigil!

Nope! BM is no Christian in my book. MOO

The OP qualified his as a christian persona.

Could there be something so embarrassing or harmful to BM’s Christian persona that he would kill to keep it secret?
Now that's an interesting thought.

It works well with BM being nervous- wanting to knock off early from work- go home and make the wife happy- MG spoke about on Saturday.

So we're back to something between the two which started on Friday or earlier.

If Suzanne discovered something dark & damaging, BM would be anxious about getting back home to her. It also works with the mysterious midnight phone activity. He's checking to see if she told anyone.

Barry said, “This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me,” Barry said. “But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God. And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy.”
Husband of missing Suzanne Morphew says police ‘screwed this whole thing up’ and are now trying to ‘blame it on me’

Maybe he's talking about himself. Who else would Suzanne value so much she would give her life to save "FROM THIS" and consider "WORTH IT".

Barry is actually speaking for Suzanne here, what is the "this" he is describing and why was killing her "worth it"?

All just MOO-

Yes! bike gear or not - a ball cap, sunglasses, face covering. Pretty tough to identify someone. Would like to see CCTV footage.
It’s extremely creepy to think another human would be willing to stand in as a ‘fake’ SM but it’s possible (especially for a large amount of money).

I still think this is unlikely. It was midst of shutdown - nobody was cheerily going to the sandwich shop on a Saturday afternoon. If picking up food, curbside pick up was typical. It does not line up.
bbm
So would I.
With all due respect to that dining establishment --- an employee's or a friend of BM's testimony or supposed eye witness, does not mean this was positively Suzanne at the sandwich shop.
Imo.

It works well with BM being nervous- wanting to knock off early from work- go home and make the wife happy- MG spoke about on Saturday.

If Suzanne discovered something dark & damaging, BM would be anxious about getting back home to her. It also works with the mysterious midnight phone activity. He's checking to see if she told anyone.

Barry said, “This is the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me,” Barry said. “But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God. And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy.”
Husband of missing Suzanne Morphew says police ‘screwed this whole thing up’ and are now trying to ‘blame it on me’

Maybe he's talking about himself. Who else would Suzanne value so much she would give her life to save "FROM THIS" and consider "WORTH IT".

Barry is actually speaking for Suzanne here, what is the "this" he is describing and why was killing her "worth it"?

All just MOO-

This reminds me so much of Letecia stauch, when she said something along the lines of gannon would want us all to get along in response to people pointing the finger at her.

I just went back to the TD recording.

I'm pretty sure that the part about the girls running late was a falsehood, put in there because his conversation with Suzanne about the girls spending the day with her never happened and was never the plan. It's a long journey from ID to CO.

This is what I hear on the recording - I'm not sure if it matches an official transcript

TD: Let me ask you a quick question Barry. So you were in Denver but how long, how long before somebody noticed that she was gone?

BM: Well it was Mother’s Day,

TD: It was Mother’s Day

BM: So, um, we um, (pauses) we had two daughters that were coming home from a trip. And I had got a job in Denver that I wanted to get started on on Sunday, set it up for my workers, my workers were coming in Sunday night, normally I work [inaudible] Sunday night [inaudible] Monday but I, being the owner, I wanted to get everything lined up so that they didn’t have to stay in the room on the Monday morning, just get busy working.

TD: Right

BM: So I told my wife, I said listen, the girls are gonna be home, they want to spend Mother’s Day with you, mind if I go get set up [inaudible] set up the [bikes?] and stuff and then the girls came home [inaudible]. That’s what we thought was going to happen. The girls were running late so they texted her Happy Mother’s Day, she didn’t text back. So we went to, or they called my neighbors, and said ‘listen, it’s Mother’s Day, I’m a little worried, and will you go check the house?’ The neighbor went and checked the house, saw that her car was there but the bike was gone. She called me in Denver and said ‘hey we’re just a little worried’ and I go ‘well, I am too, why don’t we…

start point 6:22

MOO
Pretty straight forward question about when she was noticed missing. Could have said when the text that went unanswered was sent or when the neighbor went to the house. Instead he goes into his alibi and never answers the question.

All just MOO-
bbm
Teal bolded : Ugh. :(
The disappearance and possible death of your wife is "this thing". :mad:

Reminds me of Chris Watts and his words, "...this just can't go on happening..." (paraphrased by me)
Imo.

MOO, I had the impression from that LS interview that BM was asked to offer an explanation as to why the timeline and EVI didn’t match up. BM then explained that he failed to disclose some sort of pit stop to another location... involving the bobcat. Again, wouldn’t it be helpful to hear the entire interview so that we would have context!
I'm starting to think that LS gleaned important evidence that LE are now sitting on.
Something that can be used in a trial ?
Or even BM realizes he slipped up and so he won't open up to LS any more ?
Imo.

Why are all his statements so defensive and about him and not his wife? its like he is only focused on explaining himself every time like he's speaking to a jury rather than being focused on giving information that could help find his wife.
Agree. He seems unaware that he has took on the role of a defense attorney by being a fountain of alternative theories.
By 5/11 the police and AM realized it was a human. MOO BM should have come that conclusion too.

Last edited:
I just went back to the TD recording.

I'm pretty sure that the part about the girls running late was a falsehood, put in there because his conversation with Suzanne about the girls spending the day with her never happened and was never the plan. It's a long journey from ID to CO.

This is what I hear on the recording - I'm not sure if it matches an official transcript

TD: Let me ask you a quick question Barry. So you were in Denver but how long, how long before somebody noticed that she was gone?

BM: Well it was Mother’s Day,

TD: It was Mother’s Day

BM: So, um, we um, (pauses) we had two daughters that were coming home from a trip. And I had got a job in Denver that I wanted to get started on on Sunday, set it up for my workers, my workers were coming in Sunday night, normally I work [inaudible] Sunday night [inaudible] Monday but I, being the owner, I wanted to get everything lined up so that they didn’t have to stay in the room on the Monday morning, just get busy working.

TD: Right

BM: So I told my wife, I said listen, the girls are gonna be home, they want to spend Mother’s Day with you, mind if I go get set up [inaudible] set up the [bikes?] and stuff and then the girls came home [inaudible]. That’s what we thought was going to happen. The girls were running late so they texted her Happy Mother’s Day, she didn’t text back. So we went to, or they called my neighbors, and said ‘listen, it’s Mother’s Day, I’m a little worried, and will you go check the house?’ The neighbor went and checked the house, saw that her car was there but the bike was gone. She called me in Denver and said ‘hey we’re just a little worried’ and I go ‘well, I am too, why don’t we…

start point 6:22

MOO
After all we know now, the last paragraph where Barry explains how Suzanne went missing very clearly highlights his set-up. He had to bring the bike into focus, so when it was discovered it would explain her missing status.

In his head it all made sense, he had a solid storyline & alibi. Barry never in his wildest dreams would envision the position he's in today.

His rendition leaves out so many crucial details, that he was involved with. I'm still amazed he spoke to TD in such detail.

I really didn’t think my post through very well :rolleyes:. No doubt JR went through the house whether stated in MSM or not, but MOO. SM could have been dead or injured in the house at that point. So yes, she likely smelled the bleach just as JP and MG smelled the bleach at the HIE.

I feel for that poor woman too. She may realize she’s living next to a probable wife killer that may become unhinged at any time. JMO.

I cannot wait to listen to the 911 call when it’s released.

JMO, the neighbor may have mentioned the bleach smell during the call and once LE arrived on scene and confirmed for themselves with the other factors happening, their assessment is what may have warranted calling the CBI & FBI onto the case as swiftly as they did.

MOO, as neither I nor the DW have any direct knowledge of this - but based on how BM talks (especially the "if one person is saved" comment, but he's also been quoted more than once referencing God) I believe he at least wants to be portrayed as a Christian.
I'm 100% with you that I fail to see any of the traits I would hope people would associate with Christianity (humility, integrity, love, grace, compassion, etc.) MOO
Thank you Hoosierfan72!

Just realized it was you whom I was trying to address (instead of NatureLover)!

This was exactly my thoughts when this all started. IMO, hunter BM stumbled across an abandoned mine shaft at some point in time. Took note of it and filed it for future reference.
How convenient, for some possible nefarious activities in the future. JMO. MOO. MOO
Would not cadaver dogs be good in the case of mines?

If LE cannot locate Suzanne’s remains and they also cannot find a witness to turn on Barry, then what additional evidence does LE need in order to prove a case? Can LE still build a prosecutable case without remains and without a third party’s knowledge of Barry’s guilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member