Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had to do a double take to make sure that was you. :)

Okay then, if it was just to honor the sale of the house then, there's nothing fishy or suspect about that.

jmo
True! However, what WAS suspect was everything he did and didn’t do prior to that move and everything he did and didn’t do after that move. Seriously, getting the guardianship was the only thing he did that wasn’t suspect. Although, how he approached GM, was totally callous. JMHO

I wholeheartedly agree everyone should have a Will and a General POA, (add a POA- healthcare and a specific DNR state form).

In Suzanne's case it's a gray area to me. BM and SM might have had a POA, but a POA is no longer valid upon death. I suspect that is why BM needed legal "Guardianship" to close the real estate transaction. If she was alive, the POA would have been sufficient, if she had been declared as deceased, her Will or Trust would be the overriding legal document.

IANAL, so attorney's - please jump in here!

I am no attorney but from personal experience POA's do become ineffective upon death, there were a couple different POA's pertaining to different needs. I completely did not understand a non-durable POA as it was explained, the way i took it; it covered all until the person was deemed incompetent. I am not an attorney tho.

From your link:

"Authorities in Chafee County have shared very few details about the investigation into her disappearance, and have not named any suspects. Early in the investigation, police said they could not rule out foul play, but have not since then indicated that they are treating Morphew’s disappearance as a homicide."
Nor will they announce that they are treating her disappearance as a homicide, at least until an arrest as made.

Just like Gannon and Kelsey.

CSI at Gannon’s house told us what that one was, and the search warrants at Frazee and Kelsey’s houses made it clear what was going on there.

This one has CSI at the Morphew home, and an FBI evidence response team at that worksite.

Actions speak louder than words.

From your link:

"Authorities in Chafee County have shared very few details about the investigation into her disappearance, and have not named any suspects. Early in the investigation, police said they could not rule out foul play, but have not since then indicated that they are treating Morphew’s disappearance as a homicide."

On 5/13 the CCSO said it was a criminal investigation.

He didn't need the guardianship to acquire new property in his name, just the proceeds from the sale of the Indiana property.

MOO
Yes I understand, thank you for clarifying! After I had a chance to re-read my post, I can see it’s kind of confusing the way I wrote it. Too late to go back and edit it now. In addition to noting the timeline of the Guardianship filings, the other point I was trying to convey in my previous post was-
What normal, distraught Spouse has the time and wherewithal to be petitioning for permanent Guardianship (I guess I can understand filing for the Temporary one so the IN house sale could go thru so as to not hold the buyers up), selling the Family home, purchasing new truck, wheeling & dealing, when their loving Spouse has literally vanished off the face of the earth and time is of the essence!!

It is bizarre behavior to say the least, and even more bizarre that BM seemingly isn’t the least bit interested in showing fake concern for his missing wife, which would probably be more vomit inducing, but still, you’d think he’d at least try to fake it, Jeeze.

Cold and Heartless.

I believe BM blames SM for what happened and has justified it in his mind, “Oh Suzanne”....look what you made me do!

IMHO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Nor will they announce that they are treating her disappearance as a homicide, at least until an arrest as made.

Just like Gannon and Kelsey.

CSI at Gannon’s house told us what that one was, and the search warrants at Frazee and Kelsey’s houses made it clear what was going on there.

This one has CSI at the Morphew home, and an FBI evidence response team at that worksite.

Actions speak louder than words.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of naming a person as a POI or suspect?

There must be some advantage to LE in not officially naming BM as a suspect. All I can think of is not tipping off BM, so he will get careless, make mistakes and think he got away with it. BM has to know he is the prime suspect, right?

Perhaps I'm giving BM too much credit..

Holiday Park in Salida is a community tradition and this year a tree is #Shiningbright4Suzanne to bring awareness that #SuzanneMorphew is still missing.

The Salida Sunrise Rotary Club coordinates this annual tradition and lets anyone adopt a Christmas tree at Riverside Park to decorate for their business, non-profit or in remembrance of a loved one. The proceeds from the park are used to fund scholarships.

126481707_2931058590455628_1633492002085283695_n.jpg

Lauren Scharf

What are the advantages/disadvantages of naming a person as a POI or suspect?

There must be some advantage to LE in not officially naming BM as a suspect. All I can think of is not tipping off BM, so he will get careless, make mistakes and think he got away with it. BM has to know he is the prime suspect, right?

Perhaps I'm giving BM too much credit..

It seems to be standard these days, especially in Colorado. I suppose that if he’s named a suspect by law enforcement, it increases the odds that he will shut down and lawyer up.

It also can add fire to the media circus, and perhaps harm the case down the line.

He didn't need the guardianship to acquire new property in his name, just the proceeds from the sale of the Indiana property. MOO
@Hair of the Dog Thx.

Agreeing, no legal need for BM to file to open G'ship and to be appt'ed as G'dn to buy new prop. The G'ship was needed for closing the IN home sale.
It's possible he did not even need proceeds from closing IN home sale to buy the new CO property in Longhorn subdivision, although we have no factual basis for a conclusion one way or the other.
Possible. Some ppl have big $$$,$$$ just sitting in a bank a/c. Not many, but possible.

Yes I understand, thank you for clarifying! After I had a chance to re-read my post, I can see it’s kind of confusing the way I wrote it. Too late to go back and edit it now. In addition to noting the timeline of the Guardianship filings, the other point I was trying to convey in my previous post was-
What normal, distraught Spouse has the time and wherewithal to be petitioning for permanent Guardianship (I guess I can understand filing for the Temporary one so the IN house sale could go thru so as to not hold the buyers up), selling the Family home, purchasing new truck, wheeling & dealing, when their loving Spouse has literally vanished off the face of the earth and time is of the essence!!

It is bizarre behavior to say the least, and even more bizarre that BM seemingly isn’t the least bit interested in showing fake concern for his missing wife, which would probably be more vomit inducing, but still, you’d think he’d at least try to fake it, Jeeze.

Cold and Heartless.

I believe BM blames SM for what happened and has justified it in his mind, “Oh Suzanne”....look what you made me do!

IMHO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
I'm sorry if I sounded flip @fcavanaugh :oops: IMO Barry got what he wanted most out of the sale: the proceeds....and he got to keep them all to himself, winner take all. No one else matters, just Barry.

Barry, Barry, Barry!

No PoA or PoA Rejected?
... with an obligation so short term and coming up so soon that they were both aware of and Suzanne with cancer, why didn't BM have a POA, from Suzanne to complete the transaction? It's so common nowadays (even without the cancer) Only makes sense.
@Murphy1950 sbm Yes, does seem a bit unexpected, esp for a couple who apparently have bought & sold prop's before, esp rental props.

I wonder if SM had executed a PoA for BM as her agent. Maybe anticipating the early June closing, BM submitted the doc (in April or May?) to the title co. (or escrow agent, or lender for the buyer, whoever), which did not accept PoA as sufficient to close this sale, advised him that IN Gdnship would be required, so he complied. Maybe legal glitch, like doc not notarized, maybe not eligible to be recorded, etc.

{;)One Size Fits All PoA, $25 online. Buy in next 5 min, you'll get free Do It Yourself Brain Surgery Kit. j/k :eek::rolleyes:}

Rambling about possibilities, jm2cts.

No PoA or PoA Rejected?
@Murphy1950 sbm Yes, does seem a bit unexpected, esp for a couple who apparently have bought & sold prop's before, esp rental props.

I wonder if SM had executed a PoA for BM as her agent. Maybe anticipating the early June closing, BM submitted the doc (in April or May?) to the title co. (or escrow agent, or lender for the buyer, whoever), which did not accept PoA as sufficient to close this sale, advised him that IN Gdnship would be required, so he complied. Maybe legal glitch, like doc not notarized, maybe not eligible to be recorded, etc.

{;)One Size Fits All PoA, $25 online. Buy in next 5 min, you'll get free Do It Yourself Brain Surgery Kit. j/k :eek::rolleyes:}

Rambling about possibilities, jm2cts.

LOL is that Brain Surgery Kit available on Amazon? ;)

Just because someone presents a title company with a POA, the title company is not obligated or required to accept it if it does not withstand their scrutiny of the form, language, age of the document, notary acknowledgement, etc.

If a buyer plans on using a POA to sign their loan documents that requires lender approval in addition to title company approval. Much cleaner for the closer to prepare a specific POA for the buyer or seller which is limited to a single transaction and a specific property.

MOO

The San Luis Valley serial killing investigation is still collecting and cataloging evidence, and has not even begun attempt to identify any of the 3 deceased individuals. In fact, LE has not yet determined the sex of any of the victims.
There are 13 persons currently missing from the valley that disappeared within the age of the suspect. 5 are female and 8 are male. 1 is from 2007, 1 from 2014, and 10 are from 2016 to 2020. 1 is from Rio Grande county, 2 are from Saguache county, 4 from Costilla county and 6 from Alamosa county. Looking just beyond the valley, SM would be to the north and to the south there are two highly publicized missing women from Taos, New Mexico to consider. So, SM has not been eliminated, but simply is not within the scope of the investigation at this time.
The estimate given was that searching would continue for at least another week, and identification could take months.
IMO
San Luis Valley Missing Persons

Last edited:
What are the legal/civil/criminal ramifications if a person, KNOWING another person is deceased, acquires guardianship under false pretense? What happens to those transactions? Fraudulent.... how steep is the penalty?

I'm reminded of murderers who fortuitously help themselves to the newly deceased (but never reported as such) person's social security checks.

Surely guardianship ceases upon death, what about guardianship sought AFTER death? Misrepresentation meets fraud IMO.

More charges ahead?

JMO

Totally agree. I, too, have been in hotels with indoor pools where the smell of the chlorine was great. I think he showered, napped and read mail.

BBM
And purposely left his opened mail there to enforce his "alibi"
He was there, in the hotel, not anywhere near his home, when his wife went missing or was kidnapped or eaten by a bobcat while on her bike, that is missing also. Nope, couldn't have been him..he wasn't even around that day---look-- here's proof-- my mail is in the hotel room, where I was during the time my wife went missing.
UGH.-- good try BM
(on another note- I am a mature professional, & not sure if it's the kid in me or what, but I cant help to giggle every time I type BM, especially in reference to, well, BM LMAO)
Carry on

Last edited:
It seems to be standard these days, especially in Colorado. I suppose that if he’s named a suspect by law enforcement, it increases the odds that he will shut down and lawyer up.

It also can add fire to the media circus, and perhaps harm the case down the line.
IMO, also, defense attorneys could have a field day blaming LE had tunnel vision.

I got a distinctly negative vibe from them, too.

"I remember when…" remarks have a certain elegiac quality.
There was a wistful tone to that note.

SM wasn't looking ahead with anticipation.
She was hearkening back to a very distant time in their shared past.

It put me in mind of the opening to Star Wars: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…"

Like she wished they could go back to the way things used to be between them.

Either that, or it was a case of her "wishing she had known then what she knew now."

It sounded very much to me like someone who was delivering a eulogy.
Remembering fond memories from the past.

Not at all focused on looking ahead to a shared future.

If that's a love letter, it's one of the saddest love letters ever written.

JMO.

They sounded like a requiem to me

I wholeheartedly agree everyone should have a Will and a General POA, (add a POA- healthcare and a specific DNR state form).

In Suzanne's case it's a gray area to me. BM and SM might have had a POA, but a POA is no longer valid upon death. I suspect that is why BM needed legal "Guardianship" to close the real estate transaction. If she was alive, the POA would have been sufficient, if she had been declared as deceased, her Will or Trust would be the overriding legal document.

IANAL, so attorney's - please jump in here!
Curious also as to the answer...POA should work, she was not declared deceased.
If giving BM "guardianship" was necessary to complete the transaction why wouldn't the POA be valid?
Point remains he didn't get guardianship because she was dead but "incapacitated". That is exactly why people have a POA, (in case they are unable to perform.) IANAL

Perhaps he wanted guardianship to eventually access other assets, for that matter how is he selling Puma Path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member