Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been stated you don’t need a body. And it sounds like the evidence is going to be overwhelming. What’s the problem? I thought it’s 100% certain, just need the DA on board yet?
I don’t understand how you can have it both ways: lots of damning evidence and yet when it comes down to it, no damning evidence? Which one is it?
You do realize there are many killers who are never charged for their crimes?

Last edited:
It’s been stated you don’t need a body. And it sounds like the evidence is going to be overwhelming. What’s the problem? I thought it’s 100% certain, just need the DA on board yet?
I don’t understand how you can have it both ways: lots of damning evidence and yet when it comes down to it, no damning evidence? Which one is it?

Additionally, until the public learns of an arrest and reads the AAs and AWs in a case, we aren't privy to the exchanges between LE and DAs. We can't know what charges they're contemplating... for example, manslaughter or first degree murder. They may already have enough to charge a person with a lesser crime but are making the careful case for a more weighty one. If there is an arrest pending in this case, it well could be because the acting DA has simply said, not now. Without a DA willing to prosecute at this time, we wait patiently for the newly elected DA to take office and watch to see what she will do.

So, there you have it. IMO, why has there been no arrest yet?

It's too soon.

But it's coming.

JMO

IMO, of course the general public is going to question why an innocent husband would not be making an immediate public plea for their missing wife via MSM to get the word out. It cannot be overstated that it’s a life or death situation when someone goes inexplicably missing. The clock is ticking from moment one, we all know this. Anyone not living under a rock knows this. So IMO, BM brought the public scrutiny on himself when he said it was “too soon” to make a public statement/plea for his missing wife, SM. It definitely had me sitting up and taking notice for sure, and was one of the 1st glaring red flags for me. Even IF SM & BM hadn’t been getting along, having financial difficulties, not ‘in love’ anymore etc.,whatever, this is his wife’s life, a woman he has just over a 3 decade history with, the mother of his children fgs! There is no excuse IMO, and it defies logic, common sense, and goes against human nature. When he realizes how bad the optics are and/or someone advised him how bad he looked, BM makes a 26 second video “plea” for SM’s “safe return, no questions asked”-huh??, one full week later, and on of all places, FB??! Smdh.

Also, although AM may have misspoke and/or misremembered a few things that IMO he heard 2nd or 3rd hand, I believe AM statements that when the CBI visited him in IN, CBI told him directly that BM GPS-EVI didn’t align with what he told LE, and that BM refused to take a polygraph and voice stress test, that BM had lied and told AM that he had cooperated and took those tests. It’s not so much that BM refused to take the tests, it’s that he lied to AM about having taken the tests. Why lie if you have nothing to hide? Plus, AM has made it known more than once that he wants nothing more than to believe his BIL is innocent of any wrongdoing, so IMO he has no reason to make up any of what the CBI told him, and AM has absolutely nothing to gain by doing so.

As far as BM searches for SM, where is any proof he’ll s been searching for her every day? I would think with the attention on this case, someone would have seen him out there searching and reported it, maybe I missed it, but I for sure am not taking BM’s word that he’s out there searching for SM every day.

All of the above is IMHO.

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
Great post!

ITA with Your last paragraph. When he was spotted passing out the flyers a few days ago, it was all over social media. I would think if BM has been out searching all these months, we would have plenty of documentation of these searches, IMO.

Will somebody please remind me - how did the neighbor know Suzanne had gone for a bike ride, before the bike had been discovered?

1st press release:

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

The neighbor that called to report Suzanne missing would have had zero reason to report anything about a bike ride, had it not been for BM stating (links have been posted) he asked the neighbor to return to the house a second time to see if her bike was there. That's the first instance the bike was ever mentioned. Once the neighbor returned and phoned him back with the info that the bike didn't seem to be there, the "oh, well then she must have been out on a bike ride" story was born.

Long story short: the bike ride story came directly from BM, who was allegedly 3 hours away in Broomfield and had zero contact with her that day, by his own admission that he called & left voice mails and never did speak to her, after leaving her sleeping in her bed at 5am.

Great post!

ITA with Your last paragraph. When he was spotted passing out the flyers a few days ago, it was all over social media. I would think if BM has been out searching all these months, we would have plenty of documentation of these searches, IMO.

The bolded - I'm not so sure we would know. This case is talked about heavily on-line with those who follow missing person & murder cases, but I'm not sure how big this case actually is in Salida and surrounding areas. It's mentioned every now and then in MSM.

Any locals that can speak to this? I'm always amazed when you hear people who live in the actual crime area (as an example) say they they never heard of the person or case.

It appears BM made himself visible handing out flyers last week at a grocery store, then there's the flashing sign w/ the SM tip line (I think this one was put up by LE).

How big is this case in Salida and do residents have strong opinions of BM? Not sure....

IMO

Lots of evidence.
Maybe DA isn’t going to charge it.
It’s a small town.
Like one of the residents said, there are lots of secrets in those mountains.

And why is that? Why are many killers never charged their crimes?
That’s right, not enough evidence.

That's ok

LE will still be diligently working to find out what happened to SM
And I don't have to know what evidence they have to know that's true
LE are passionate like that

Over time, I've come to learn reasons why LE and other investigative agencies don't show all their cards
And I've come to respect that

My view/thoughts

Last edited:
Having a body would make this case a lot easier for LE; however, if BM is the guy like I think he is, you’re still going to need evidence tying BM to the body or evidence tying him to the location of the body. It’s very possible that SM, if found, is found in the middle of nowhere, with no digital evidence or DNA evidence connecting him to her location or her death.
JMO

And why is that? Why are many killers never charged their crimes?
That’s right, not enough evidence.
It’s not a perfect system, it’s a system administrated by imperfect humans. Sometimes there is enough evidence and killers are charged and go free any way, i.e. Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson. Sometimes killers are never charged for murder i.e. Drew Peterson. As far as I know, nothing exists in our world that is 100% just.

The bolded - I'm not so sure we would know. This case is talked about heavily on-line with those who follow missing person & murder cases, but I'm not sure how big this case actually is in Salida and surrounding areas. It's mentioned every now and then in MSM.

Any locals that can speak to this? I'm always amazed when you hear people who live in the actual crime area (as an example) say they they never heard of the person or case.

It appears BM made himself visible handing out flyers last week at a grocery store, then there's the flashing sign w/ the SM tip line (I think this one was put up by LE).

How big is this case in Salida and do residents have strong opinions of BM? Not sure....

IMO
I have friends who live 20 miles away from Salida (and do their grocery shopping in Salida) and, in the first month or two of the disappearance, I talked to them and they did not know about it except in a very vague way -- "oh, yeah, I think I heard someone mention that someone disappeared."

I am curious why so many here think there is so much evidence in this case. What solid facts have been reported in the news indicating that there are mountains of evidence? Are we just speculating or do we have proof? Really, I'm asking. Please link some sources.
I think the main reasons are that 1) LE was granted TWO search warrants for the house, at different times, 2) LE was granted a search warrant for other private property, where they sifted through soil, and 3) BM's vehicle movements on May 10 do not match up with where he said he was when he was interviewed by LE.

Search warrants aren't given out like Halloween candy, so LE had to have some solid evidence already to be granted them. And LE knows of more than one instance where BM has been proven a liar. That last sentence doesn't mean BM is the perp, but hoo-whee, if you want a bullseye painted on your forehead, lie to the cops from the beginning.

I think the main reasons are that 1) LE was granted TWO search warrants for the house, at different times, 2) LE was granted a search warrant for other private property, where they sifted through soil, and 3) BM's vehicle movements on May 10 do not match up with where he said he was when he was interviewed by LE.

Search warrants aren't given out like Halloween candy, so LE had to have some solid evidence already to be granted them. And LE knows of more than one instance where BM has been proven a liar. That last sentence doesn't mean BM is the perp, but hoo-whee, if you want a bullseye painted on your forehead, lie to the cops from the beginning.

Thank you. I have been following this case as closely as possible, but I miss posts sometimes. Do you have a link to a news article about the vehicle movements not matching? And a link to where we know BM lied to cops? I'm curious.

I am curious why so many here think there is so much evidence in this case. What solid facts have been reported in the news indicating that there are mountains of evidence? Are we just speculating or do we have proof? Really, I'm asking. Please link some sources.

These days, living in the age of digital tech, there will be a lot of evidence in just about any case. The more important question is (I think) is how much of the evidence is actually of evidentiary value. For example, by now it's safe to assume LE has the phone records of SM, BM, and anyone working with or for BM on Mother's Day weekend, so that's MG, CC and JP (that we know of).

Phone records of at least 5 different people over a 2 day span (just for example's sake) means a LOT of digital evidence to comb through, and that's just the phone records. And within those phone records, there are several categories to sort things into: social media use, social media private messaging, specific app use, email, phone calls, texts. All of that data has to be sorted, synced, discarded, included, etc., before the investigators even know if the (for example) 1,000 pages of digital evidence from 5 different phones, was of any evidentiary value to the case.

I will guess that most of it will not be of any use at all, but they won't know that until they go through it all (similar to receiving a thousand tips at the tip line, but until they're all followed up on, they might find they only had 1 single tip that was actionable). And that's just the phones.

There are also bank records, witness statements, GPS data, surveillance cam footage, any fitness tracker data, any physical evidence they pulled from the bike, her house, her car, his truck... and the list goes on. And on.

So yes for me it's a lot of speculation based on years of reading probable cause/arrest warrant affidavits & court transcripts, (and listening to the prosecution's opening statement the day the trial begins - those are usually so eye opening) and knowing the massive mountains of evidence investigators have to sift through to find the evidence that matters, and that is eventually included in the prosecution's case. It's a LOT of hard work, that's for sure. I don't see this case being any different.

jmo

Thank you. I have been following this case as closely as possible, but I miss posts sometimes. Do you have a link to a news article about the vehicle movements not matching? And a link to where we know BM lied to cops? I'm curious.
we have a media thread where much of the information may be found -
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

there is also several detailed timelines - some of the information comes from AM interviews with PE so you may have to watch those videos
JMO

Read everything MassGuy has contributed in reference to BM.
His words help me to understand ..."Why...BM?"
(PS.......I'm not his grandma."
MOO

Are you aware that law enforcement have not released any evidence to the public during the seven month investigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon